*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,352,771 Views | 27147 Replies | Last: 10 hrs ago by Decay
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I don't think we will be seeing another origin, especially so soon after Amazing. This is going to be a young Peter, but one who has been in the game for several months to a year.
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
No one outside of the most hardcore fans knew that character had a race change. I just learned about it from your post.

Even my wife knows Spider-Man is white. 3 Year old kids as well.

I think that's what it boils down to - there is a difference between Heimdall (sp?) and Nick Fury and Spiderman.

Comic fans know Heimdall and Fury.

Everyone, everyone knows Spiderman AND his alter ego Peter Parker. They know he is white.

Hell, the Fantastic Four is well enough known that you'll have plenty of people scratching their heads over a black Human Torch. But they'll accept it.

However, Spiderman (IMO) is on the level of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Incredible Hulk, and a few others. Changing their race will just throw many people for too much of a loop.
TexasAggie_02
AG
So, everyone would okay with Black Panther, Luke Cage, Col Rhodes, Blade, and Storm being recast as white actors?
BigRobSA
quote:
I think a black Peter Parker would be just fine. Don't care who the actor is, as long as they are good. It might also help spark the reboot. We've already seen a white Spider-Man with the exact same origin twice. A minority Spider-Man would make seeing the same story a third time at least a little more interesting.
As a minority myself, I'd like to know what would make a brown/black Peter Parker "more interesting", especially considering that there's ALREADY a black-spanic Spiderman in the MU.

Instead of meatloaf night with Aunt May, we get Tia Juanita's Enchilada Casserole Fiesta?
Quinn
AG
quote:
So, everyone would okay with Black Panther, Luke Cage, Col Rhodes, Blade, and Storm being recast as white actors?
#ChrisPrattforBlackPanther
BigRobSA
quote:

I think that's what it boils down to - there is a difference between Heimdall (sp?) and Nick Fury and Spiderman.

Comic fans know Heimdall and Fury.

Everyone, everyone knows Spiderman AND his alter ego Peter Parker. They know he is white.

Hell, the Fantastic Four is well enough known that you'll have plenty of people scratching their heads over a black Human Torch. But they'll accept it.

However, Spiderman (IMO) is on the level of Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Incredible Hulk, and a few others. Changing their race will just throw many people for too much of a loop.
I won't be seeing FF because it looks horrible, not because they went PC and changed Johnny's race for no reason at all.
fig96
AG
quote:
quote:
I think a black Peter Parker would be just fine. Don't care who the actor is, as long as they are good. It might also help spark the reboot. We've already seen a white Spider-Man with the exact same origin twice. A minority Spider-Man would make seeing the same story a third time at least a little more interesting.
As a minority myself, I'd like to know what would make a brown/black Peter Parker "more interesting", especially considering that there's ALREADY a black-spanic Spiderman in the MU.

Instead of meatloaf night with Aunt May, we get Tia Juanita's Enchilada Casserole Fiesta?

Tia Maya, obviously.
Sex Panther
AG
Con gran poder, viene una gran responsabilidad...
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Con gran poder, viene una gran responsabilidad...
el aggie
AG
"So, everyone would okay with Black Panther, Luke Cage, Col Rhodes, Blade, and Storm being recast as white actors?"

Rhodes yes, Blade maybe, Luke Cage and Storm not so much. Blade was conceived as a black man but that being a big part if his character is murky. Luke Cage's origin is in the blaxploitation realm, and Storm grew up as a child thief in Africa. Those elements are essential to the character. I don't know much (anything) about Rhodes character that has to do with the color of his skin.
BigRobSA
quote:

Tia Maya, obviously.
Oh, heck no. That reminds me too much of "Mayan", and as an Aztec I'd be forced to (after busting out a louuuuud grito) shanking her and awarding her heart to the god Itzpapalotltotec.
wangus12
AG
quote:
Bingo
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
SP
Saxsoon
AG
Female Thor and Black Captain America work because they literally have a different person taking up the mantle in the comics.

Also, about Nick Fury, his father (who is white) is the original Fury and his son (who was modeled after SLJ back in the early 2000's) is his son.

Those are not good examples to change the character (Peter Parker) because in those cases, the original character wasn't altered.
BigTimeAlum
AG
You have to alter the origin and character too much to make Peter Parker African American. You sure as heck would have to do the origin story all over again. I doubt they'll want to go that direction with their biggest property. Too risky. This is a silly conversation to even be having as it has no chance of happening.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
"So, everyone would okay with Black Panther, Luke Cage, Col Rhodes, Blade, and Storm being recast as white actors?"

Rhodes yes, Blade maybe, Luke Cage and Storm not so much. Blade was conceived as a black man but that being a big part if his character is murky. Luke Cage's origin is in the blaxploitation realm, and Storm grew up as a child thief in Africa. Those elements are essential to the character. I don't know much (anything) about Rhodes character that has to do with the color of his skin.
And?

Charlize Theron is African. She could play Storm.
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:

Hmmm, Black Panther obviously not, but the others.....how many non-comic average movie goers (they make up the vast majority of the Marvel movie-going audience) would know that John Cena doesn't exactly "fit" the Luke Cage role?

The point is that everyone would know that there's something off about Jaden Smith playing Peter Parker.

Ughh, I just made myself shudder.
Quinn
AG
quote:
You have to alter the origin and character too much to make Peter Parker African American. You sure as heck would have to do the origin story all over again.
Nah, I don't think so. Like I said before, just have a couple people call him Peter and boom, everyone knows he is Peter Parker. Not really that complicated.

quote:
I doubt they'll want to go that direction with their biggest property. Too risky. This is a silly conversation to even be having as it has no chance of happening.
I agree that they won't do it, but its a message board, so of course we are having a silly conversation about the race of a made up character for a movie that isn't coming out for 18 months.
wangus12
AG
quote:
quote:

Hmmm, Black Panther obviously not, but the others.....how many non-comic average movie goers (they make up the vast majority of the Marvel movie-going audience) would know that John Cena doesn't exactly "fit" the Luke Cage role?

The point is that everyone would know that there's something off about Jaden Smith playing Peter Parker.

Ughh, I just made myself shudder.
You have to delete that comment. If someone from Sony saw it and got the idea, it would be all your fault.
FL_Ag1998
AG
As soon as I typed it I realized there likely is someone at Sony who's already pitched that idea. Let's just all take a minute to pray that it stops right there.
Sex Panther
AG
I think he's tied up with Hitch 2: Son Of A Hitch
BigRobSA
quote:
You have to alter the origin and character too much to make Peter Parker African American. You sure as heck would have to do the origin story all over again. I doubt they'll want to go that direction with their biggest property. Too risky. This is a silly conversation to even be having as it has no chance of happening.
And yet, we now have a black guy playing what has always been a white character, for no other reason that "Hey, we're cool and hip! Look at us, we're not racist, I have a black employee!!!". I'm sure if someone had come on here a few years ago, throwing around ideas for a black/brown Johnny Storm, that would have been poo-poo'd away, too. Yet, here we are.
Quinn
AG
Or maybe they think Michael B Jordan is a great actor and wanted to get someone of his caliber in their movie?
BigRobSA
quote:
Or maybe they think Michael B Jordan is a great actor and wanted to get someone of his caliber in their movie?
I like him a lot, but he's not a good fit for a white role, though. They had to literally rewrite the character around him since the character, unlike some characters in the MU, has never ever been anything BUT a young, white male.

Make him Black Panther, or whatever other character that's black, if you really like him.

Same goes for making Shaft white, or Speedy Gonzales Asian.
MooreTrucker
AG
quote:
So they invent a whole new back story to fit....
Squirrel Master
AG
Agree with Quinn. You've referenced casting Michael B Jordan as being a PC move repeatedly that was done to make him black. Isn't it really that he's a young, talented, popular actor who fills the roll well? Why must there be an ulterior motive?
el aggie
AG
Alright, Storm was the daughter of a Kenyan princess descended from a long line of African witch-priestesses (thanks Wikipedia). I assume the long line goes back to before colonization.
BigRobSA
quote:
Agree with Quinn. You've referenced casting Michael B Jordan as being a PC move repeatedly that was done to make him black. Isn't it really that he's a young, talented, popular actor who fills the roll well? Why must there be an ulterior motive?
The "roll" (sic) is for a young, white brother to also white Susan Storm.

So, no, there's no way he's right for the role. It's obviously a PC move. There doesn't HAVE to be an ulterior motive, but this instance is so obvious it's funny that it's even being questioned.

***They're a private entity, so I support their right to do whatever they want for whatever reason they want, but it's obvious they did it to be "cool" and "hip".***
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
it's obvious they did it to be "cool" and "hip

I tend to agree on their motives in this instance, but I'm cynical, especially regarding Hollywood.
bearamedic99
AG
If you want to argue races of characters, would you start a different thread? Anyone know when Netflix will be releasing other Marvel titles?
Quinn
AG
quote:
If you want to argue races of characters, would you start a different thread? Anyone know when Netflix will be releasing other Marvel titles?
Having a discussion about potential character castings and how it could help/hurt the movies is a less valid discussion than something you are too lazy to google?
TajMaballer
AG
Chance the Rapper interviewed Hannibal Buress, but the reason I am putting this here is because of this paragraph.

quote:
CHANCE: Yeah, probably. Maybe do a little tour with somebody really, really famous. I don't know if you heard, but Donald [Glover, a.k.a. Childish Gambino] has been involved a little bit in this Spider-Man reworking, and we had some ideas going back and forth about Donald becoming a superhero. I thought, "If you were ever to be a Marvel or D.C. character, you might be really good as the supervillain The Penguin." I thought, "If they ever had a crossover with Donald's Spider-Man versus Hannibal's The Penguin, how would those events transpire? What would that look like?"

I doubt this is anything more than a joke, but it would be funny to have Chance the Rapper break the news. Also I am 100% behind Hannibal Buress as the Penguin.
scubasteve304
AG
Not sure why it's bad to try and be hip and cool when a franchise you're trying to reboot was widely panned in it's last iteration as simple and unoriginal.

I didn't have a problem with Michael Clarke Duncan playing Kingpin or Jamie Foxx as Electro. Guess I'm just naive that I don't automatically assume non traditional casting is made because of some liberal PC 'hey look I have a black guy' pandering. I'll just sit over here and get stoked for bad ass actors suiting up for roles everyone else thinks they have no business being in.

In short, #FassbenderForBlade and #IdrisElbaForJames Bond
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Also I am 100% behind Hannibal Buress as the Penguin.

He'd definitely be better than the one on Gotham
Whos Juan
AG
quote:
I doubt this is anything more than a joke, but it would be funny to have Chance the Rapper break the news. Also I am 100% behind Hannibal Buress as the Penguin.

He's probably referencing the Ultimate Spider-Man TV series, where Glover voices Miles Morales
First Page Last Page
Page 26 of 776

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.