*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,349,597 Views | 27145 Replies | Last: 2 days ago by Albatross Necklace
Nonregdrummer09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Regardless of which, I don't see Marvel breaking from their tradition of casting comic book correct characters. Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Winter Soldier, Falcon, Nick Fury, The Hulk, Black Widow (with the exception of the Russian accent), etc. have all been comic book correct. Now all of a sudden they have the ability to put Spider-Man in the MCU and they are not going to do that? Just don't see it happening.

I think Donald Glover would make a great Miles Morales, but I think he's too old for Peter Parker (especially since Sony wants Peter to be much younger than Andrew Garfield this time around) and to be honest, he may be too old for Miles Morales as well.

I expect Sony/Marvel to go with someone much younger, who can sign a multi-picture deal. Don't know who, but we'll find out.

I see your point, and not to quibble too much, but wasn't Nick Fury originally a white guy too?
yes, he was. I thought they changed the comic character after the Iron Man 1 cameo.

Not correct, Nick Fury resurfaced in Ultimates in 2002, although at the time it was said Samuel L. Jackson was his inspiration.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, like the previous poster said, the issue is not whether Donald would be a good Spider-Man. He would.

But he should be Morales, not Parker. Parker is white, and he has been for over 5 decades.
swimmerbabe11
I would like to change the # to #DonaldforPeterParker

I would be disappointed in it being a Miles.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I don't care either way as I've never read a Spider-Man comic. But I can see how fans would have issues and wanting to stay true to the source material.
el aggie
AG
What if Donald did something like paint his face white? Would that help?
Nonregdrummer09
AG
This is actually what I expect to happen:

Peter Parker is brought in the MCU with Civil War, and plays his central role, including that he reveals his identity, as he would be one of the few Marvel characters that actually has one.

In Spider-Man, Peter Parker's identity will put his family in danger, and the resulting fight will end with his "death"

At this point, Miles Morales's story will begin, and I think they will bring Peter back in the similar way they did with the Ultimates version:

This would be a great continuation of the story and be comic book faithful.
Sex Panther
AG
How does this Miles Molasses get Spider powers? What's his relationship to Peter Parker? How old is he?
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
How does this Miles Molasses get Spider powers? What's his relationship to Peter Parker? How old is he?
Miles Morales is 15. His Uncle steals a serum that was made out of Peter Parker's blood to re-create the Spider-Man affect, a spider gets involved I forget exactly how, and bites Miles Morales. Once he realizes he has abilities, he doesn't tell his parents, and tries to be Spider-Man as he has a lot of respect for Peter Parker and wants to honor him. However, people don't like him wearing the original Spidey suit, so he changes it.

Peter becomes involved later, but they don't know each other until after Peter comes back.

The other thing I like about Morales is that he has his own abilities that Peter doesn't have, and some weaker versions of Peter's powers, so it really kind of makes him his own Spider-Man.
Red Five
AG
quote:
quote:
His Uncle steals a serum that was made out of Peter Parker's blood to re-create the Spider-Man affect, a spider gets involved I forget exactly how, and bites Miles Morales.
The uncle was stealing something from Oscorp, although I forget what, and the spider crawled into his bag. The spider had been dosed with OZ, I think in an attempt to recreate the incident where Peter got his powers. IIRC Osborne originally had been attempting to use genetic engineering via the spiders to recreate the super soldier serum. Peter was the only successful (unintentional) test, and Osborne injected himself after seeing that Peter had gained his powers which led to him becoming the Green Goblin.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
His Uncle steals a serum that was made out of Peter Parker's blood to re-create the Spider-Man affect, a spider gets involved I forget exactly how, and bites Miles Morales.
The uncle was stealing something from Oscorp, although I forget what, and the spider crawled into his bag. The spider had been dosed with OZ, I think in an attempt to recreate the incident where Peter got his powers. IIRC Osborne originally had been attempting to use genetic engineering via the spiders to recreate the super soldier serum. Peter was the only successful (unintentional) test, and Osborne injected himself after seeing that Peter had gained his powers which led to him becoming the Green Goblin.
There you go, I'm a little fuzzy on Miles Morales details.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Interestingly enough, according to imdb, Donald Glover voiced Miles Morales in a cartoon last year.
http://m.imdb.com/name/nm2255973/filmotype/actor?ref_=m_nmfm_1
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
This is actually what I expect to happen:

Peter Parker is brought in the MCU with Civil War, and plays his central role, including that he reveals his identity, as he would be one of the few Marvel characters that actually has one.

In Spider-Man, Peter Parker's identity will put his family in danger, and the resulting fight will end with his "death"

At this point, Miles Morales's story will begin, and I think they will bring Peter back in the similar way they did with the Ultimates version:

This would be a great continuation of the story and be comic book faithful.

I've been out of it and didn't realize that they brought Peter back. I now feel justified in the Twitter fight (well, two responses) I had with Bendis when I said I didn't believe he would stick with it.
MASAXET
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Regardless of which, I don't see Marvel breaking from their tradition of casting comic book correct characters. Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Winter Soldier, Falcon, Nick Fury, The Hulk, Black Widow (with the exception of the Russian accent), etc. have all been comic book correct. Now all of a sudden they have the ability to put Spider-Man in the MCU and they are not going to do that? Just don't see it happening.

I think Donald Glover would make a great Miles Morales, but I think he's too old for Peter Parker (especially since Sony wants Peter to be much younger than Andrew Garfield this time around) and to be honest, he may be too old for Miles Morales as well.

I expect Sony/Marvel to go with someone much younger, who can sign a multi-picture deal. Don't know who, but we'll find out.

I see your point, and not to quibble too much, but wasn't Nick Fury originally a white guy too?
yes, he was. I thought they changed the comic character after the Iron Man 1 cameo.

Not correct, Nick Fury resurfaced in Ultimates in 2002, although at the time it was said Samuel L. Jackson was his inspiration.
Right, now he's black with the nod to SLJ. My point was that he was originally white.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Right, now he's black with the nod to SLJ. My point was that he was originally white.

Yes, but the MCU version is still based on the comic character, not just changed because you want to change him for the movie. I just don't see Marvel flipping around their whole model after Kevin Feige has wanted Spider-Man for Civil War for a really long time.
SeattleAgJr
The MM storyline is neither interesting nor relevant, even if it is the best part (by far) of the Ultimates universe.

Neither Sony nor Marvel will drastically change their best known character for the movie releases. With Sony rebooting Spider-Man, and Marvel allowed to use the character in their movies, they are both going to go as mainstream as possible. That is just common sense.

What should be more telling is that Disney/Marvel manage the "Ultimate Spider-Man" cartoon and could not bother with having MM as the USM, as he is in the comics.

MM may be appealing to some (hell, I will even give you "many") but he is not the Spider-man the vast majority of people know or want.
AMW2010
AG
I never knew there was a blAck spidey!!

What's next... A female Thor and a black captain American?!?
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
Miles Molasses

Gosh damn SP, you crack me up on a daily basis.
TCTTS
AG
Sony's confirming that they're aiming for a high school age Parker, which probably means no Glover. I think that's the best decision. Would love to see a high school kid mixing it up with the Avengers. The age difference will play well.
Sex Panther
AG
alright, nevermind on my JGL proclomation then.
Red Five
AG
Plays well with the storylines they established for USM, with SHIELD wanting to shut Parker down and then later reluctantly deciding to train him so that he doesnt get himself killed (/Alanis Morissette).
TCTTS
AG
Here's the report from Variety, re: Spidey's age, along with the terms of the deal. Pretty interesting stuff...

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/details-spider-man-appear-in-sony-and-marvel-movies-1201429039/
jeffk
AG
Great.

Now I had to go read the wiki article on Spider-Man.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
quote:
Miles Molasses

Gosh damn SP, you crack me up on a daily basis.

MrPlow2010
AG
I think the main guy in The Maze Runner would would be a good option for the new Peter Parker. He was also in the Internship and I think he is still young enough to play a high school kid. I hope the new Spider-Man is tall though. I didn't like short Tobey Spider-Man.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
I think the main guy in The Maze Runner would would be a good option for the new Peter Parker. He was also in the Internship and I think he is still young enough to play a high school kid. I hope the new Spider-Man is tall though. I didn't like short Tobey Spider-Man.
I second Dylan O'Brien - dude would be perfect, but I am sure commitments to Teen Wolf and Maze Runner3 would prevent him from consideration.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Seems both mine and this suggestion are both being considered already.

http://comicbook.com/2015/02/11/logan-lerman-dylan-obrien-considered-for-new-spider-man-headed-b/
Saxsoon
AG
I actually like Dylan O'Brian but I am not sure he can pull off the wise cracking peter
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
So the black kid only gets to be Spider-Man cuz his uncle steals the serum from The Man?
Sex Panther
AG
Logan Lerman is tiny
SeattleAgJr
quote:
I actually like Dylan O'Brian but I am not sure he can pull off the wise cracking peter
I was going to come in here and say "have you actually watched Teen Wolf, especially the earlier seasons" to deride your comment, but then I realized that I would be exposing myself to having watc... er...
never mind.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
quote:
I was going to come in here and say "have you actually watched Teen Wolf, especially the earlier seasons" to deride your comment, but then I realized that I would be exposing myself to having watc... er...
never mind.
Fair enough, I only saw him in Maze Runner which didn't give a lot of room for humor
Quad Dog
AG
This color argument seems familiar to people that had problems with Heimdall in Thor. It worked in Thor, and Idris Elba was great. They didn't even mention or address his race.
redline248
AG
No one outside of the most hardcore fans knew that character had a race change. I just learned about it from your post.

Even my wife knows Spider-Man is white. 3 Year old kids as well.
jeffk
AG
So maybe they first use lily-white Peter Parker as Spider-Man but then he dies (as an Avengers 3 plot element?) and is replaced by Miles Molasses.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I think a black Peter Parker would be just fine. Don't care who the actor is, as long as they are good. It might also help spark the reboot. We've already seen a white Spider-Man with the exact same origin twice. A minority Spider-Man would make seeing the same story a third time at least a little more interesting.
First Page Last Page
Page 25 of 776

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.