*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,347,454 Views | 27145 Replies | Last: 19 hrs ago by Albatross Necklace
Quinn
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What's so confusing about it? Hey it's Spiderman, and the actor playing him happens to be black! The end, problem solved.
COOL LASER FALCON
I really don't think it would be an issue. Spiderman is recognizable. Peter Parker is not.
Quinn
AG
Just have his boss or aunt or girlfriend or delivery guy say "Hey Peter", then it's solved. Charlie Day would be another great choice.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
Just have his boss or aunt or girlfriend or delivery guy say "Hey Peter", then it's solved. Charlie Day would be another great choice.
charlie day is 39.
gravy97
AG
No one would believe Sally Field is Donald Glover's aunt....
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
what about Tyler Perry though?
Quinn
AG
Does Spiderman not age? Also, isn't he supposed to be goofy? I honestly don't know the answers to this. I just like Charlie Day and think he'd be fun to see acting along side the Marvel cast.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
Liam Neeson would make a great Shaft.
He would be horrible.
Woosh.
Sex Panther
AG
Sony will probably make him a North Korean
Quinn
AG
quote:

It works on Louie with a black wife and two white kids.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
#DonaldforSpiderman is trending on twitter - you can't stop this momentum!!
That's for Miles Morales, not Peter Parker. He voices Miles Morales on the Ultimate Spider-Man TV show
FL_Ag1998
AG
Its threads like this that make me glad Texags has no actual bearing on casting.
Quinn
AG
quote:
Its threads like this that make me glad Texags has no actual bearing on casting.

Who would you choose?
FL_Ag1998
AG
No idea, I'm just saying these are fun conversations to follow. And just picture the arguments that are happening on this thread, carried out across the entire country. Because that's what would happen if they cast a black Spiderman.

And really? Charlie Day? That's just funny.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Not trying to demean your choice, just seemed like a waaay out of left field choice that I still can't picture. But, to each his own.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Are we discussing a teen Peter Parker or older?

If teen, I'd say Logan Lerman.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
I think Taron Egerton could do really well.

Quinn
AG
No offense taken, just genuinely curious who people want to see. A Hitfix writer just tweeted that Sony wants to go really young with the role, so it will probably be someone we've never heard of in the end.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
quote:
quote:
He would be horrible.
Woosh.
Not over my head at all. See: the rest of my post.

My point was that I think Donald Glover would be a really good Spiderman/ Peter Parker. He's young, he's fit, I think he can pull off being a disheveled nerd and being a smart ass. And a black Peter Parker works for me just fine.

A white Shaft changes the character too much. I think a black Captain America would change the character quite a bit. A black Peter Parker doesn't change the character at all to me.
Red Five
AG
I would rather see them go older with the role. The impact he gave to the Civil War in the comics had everything to do with the fact that he was the hero with the most closely guarded secret identity. If he's a 15 year old unmasking for superhero registration after less than a year on the job, that just doesnt have the same impact.

Unfortunately, they have no reference for Spider-man or any other heroes having existed previously in the MCU, so even if Peter is 30 they can't act like Spider-man has been swinging around New York for the past 15 years.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
quote:
That's for Miles Morales, not Peter Parker. He voices Miles Morales on the Ultimate Spider-Man TV show
The Donald Glover campaign for Spiderman started when they were casting for the Amazing Spiderman I think. I'm pretty sure it was at least before they unveiled Miles Morales in the comics.
Quinn
AG
quote:
Unfortunately, they have no reference for Spider-man or any other heroes having existed previously in the MCU, so even if Peter is 30 they can't act like Spider-man has been swinging around New York for the past 15 years.
Why can't they?
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
quote:
Why can't they?
Hank Pym has apparently existed in the MCU since the 60's. They can do the same thing for Spider-Man.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
quote:
quote:
The Donald Glover campaign for Spiderman started when they were casting for the Amazing Spiderman I think. I'm pretty sure it was at least before they unveiled Miles Morales in the comics.
Miles Morales is "a" Spider-man. Peter Parker is "THE" Spider-man.

Nobody wants to see a pretender on screen.
COOL LASER FALCON
I'm saying #DonaldforSpiderman started as a campaign to cast him as Peter Parker.
Sex Panther
AG
#CharlieForSpiderman is picking up steam!
Nonregdrummer09
AG
Regardless of which, I don't see Marvel breaking from their tradition of casting comic book correct characters. Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Winter Soldier, Falcon, Nick Fury, The Hulk, Black Widow (with the exception of the Russian accent), etc. have all been comic book correct. Now all of a sudden they have the ability to put Spider-Man in the MCU and they are not going to do that? Just don't see it happening.

I think Donald Glover would make a great Miles Morales, but I think he's too old for Peter Parker (especially since Sony wants Peter to be much younger than Andrew Garfield this time around) and to be honest, he may be too old for Miles Morales as well.

I expect Sony/Marvel to go with someone much younger, who can sign a multi-picture deal. Don't know who, but we'll find out.
Red Five
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Why can't they?
Hank Pym has apparently existed in the MCU since the 60's. They can do the same thing for Spider-Man.
No you are probably right, they could probably do that. It would just seem weird that there was no mention of him ever. I can buy no one wondering why the 70 year old guy who used to be Ant-man isn't helping out with the battle of new york. it makes a little less sense if you are talking about NYC's personal super hero mascot.

they can do it, I'm sure, and I dont have a problem whichever way they go with it. I just think it would be challenging.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
Why can't they?
No you are probably right, they could probably do that. It would just seem weird that there was no mention of him ever. I can buy no one wondering why the 70 year old guy who used to be Ant-man isn't helping out with the battle of new york. it makes a little less sense if you are talking about NYC's personal super hero mascot.

they can do it, I'm sure, and I dont have a problem whichever way they go with it. I just think it would be challenging.

Well since Avengers came out you've had Iron Man 3, which didn't take place in New York, Thor 2, which didn't take place in New York, Captain America: Winter Soldier, which didn't take place in New York, and Guardians of the Galaxy, which obviously didn't take place in New York. You could easily say Spidey didn't have his powers till after the attack on New York in Avengers and it wouldn't mess with the time line at all.
Red Five
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:
He would be horrible.
Woosh.
Not over my head at all. See: the rest of my post.

My point was that I think Donald Glover would be a really good Spiderman/ Peter Parker. He's young, he's fit, I think he can pull off being a disheveled nerd and being a smart ass. And a black Peter Parker works for me just fine.

A white Shaft changes the character too much. I think a black Captain America would change the character quite a bit. A black Peter Parker doesn't change the character at all to me.
I guess I dont see why people think it's no big deal to change a character that was published continuously every month for over 700 issues and a span of 50 years.

Donald Glover might be a really awesome Peter Parker. But he is black, and Peter isn't. I mean, do other movies not ever cast actors for specific roles based on race? Is that not a thing? Are there not casting calls that go out looking specifically for a hispanic actor or a black actor or a white actor? Surely its not always just whoever the best available actor is.
TajMaballer
AG
If he wasn't already playing The Flash, I would say Grant Gustin would be a great young Spider-Man
Quinn
AG
quote:
#CharlieForSpiderman is picking up steam!
Heck ya!!
MASAXET
AG
quote:
Regardless of which, I don't see Marvel breaking from their tradition of casting comic book correct characters. Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, Winter Soldier, Falcon, Nick Fury, The Hulk, Black Widow (with the exception of the Russian accent), etc. have all been comic book correct. Now all of a sudden they have the ability to put Spider-Man in the MCU and they are not going to do that? Just don't see it happening.

I think Donald Glover would make a great Miles Morales, but I think he's too old for Peter Parker (especially since Sony wants Peter to be much younger than Andrew Garfield this time around) and to be honest, he may be too old for Miles Morales as well.

I expect Sony/Marvel to go with someone much younger, who can sign a multi-picture deal. Don't know who, but we'll find out.

I see your point, and not to quibble too much, but wasn't Nick Fury originally a white guy too?
Nonregdrummer09
AG
quote:
quote:

I see your point, and not to quibble too much, but wasn't Nick Fury originally a white guy too?
Yes, but there was an African-American Nick Fury in the comics that they drew from, so it was still comic correct. That's why most of the debate right now is Peter Parker or Miles Morales, not a white or black Peter Parker.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
quote:

yes, he was. I thought they changed the comic character after the Iron Man 1 cameo.
First Page Last Page
Page 24 of 776

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.