*** MARVEL CINEMATIC UNIVERSE *** [Staff message on OP]

3,516,953 Views | 27739 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by C@LAg
swimmerbabe11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I think we know who will play that part

rhutton125
AG
Peter Patel
TajMaballer
AG
quote:
Peter Patel

#DannyPudiForSpiderman
AMW2010
AG
R0GUE
AG
quote:
quote:
Peter Patel

#DannyPudiForSpiderman

SeattleAgJr
I have no problem whatsoever with a black Spider-Man.
I have a problem with a black Peter Parker.
#racist
/sarcasm
pb488
AG
quote:

free metro ride? racist jimmy fallon
TajMaballer
AG
Donald Glover talking about Spider-Man

If they are trying to go younger with this Spider-Man, then Glover probably isn't the best choice. Anybody hear any other rumors of late?
Saxsoon
AG
Last I heard was that they are NOT going the Peter Parker route and that it is heavily implied to be Morales.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
Last I heard was that they are NOT going the Peter Parker route and that it is heavily implied to be Morales.

Not sure I believe that, but it would be a good way to sell the "reboot." I wonder if they might find a way to write in Andrew Garfield being killed off on screen.
TexasAggie_02
AG
what if the agreement with sony is that they don't use Peter Parker? The MCU could be an alternate universe (compared to the sony spiderman universe).
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
quote:
Not sure I believe that, but it would be a good way to sell the "reboot." I wonder if they might find a way to write in Andrew Garfield being killed off on screen.
Sony still has final control over their property. I doubt they let Marvel kill off Peter Parker anytime soon.
TCTTS
AG
Sounds like they could very well be going with a black Peter Parker...

http://badassdigest.com/2015/02/23/could-the-next-movie-spider-man-be-black/

Also, someone threw out in the comments casting Denzel Washington as Uncle Ben, which would be AMAZING.
fig96
AG
quote:

Also, someone threw out in the comments casting Denzel Washington as Uncle Ben, which would be AMAZING.
Now THAT I would be on board with. Of course, then the question becomes why didn't he just kill the fleeing robber with his bare hands one of the 18 different ways we see him in every film he's in.
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:

Also, someone threw out in the comments casting Denzel Washington as Uncle Ben, which would be STUPID.

FIFY, sorry TCTTS, but even though I have all the faith in the world in Marvel at this point, I still wouldn't like that move. That goes for a black Peter Parker. Miles Morales, however, different story.
TCTTS
AG
Why on Earth does it matter if Peter Parker is black or white?
BigRobSA
quote:
quote:

Also, someone threw out in the comments casting Denzel Washington as Uncle Ben, which would be STUPID.

FIFY, sorry TCTTS, but even though I have all the faith in the world in Marvel at this point, I still wouldn't like that move. That goes for a black Peter Parker. Miles Morales, however, different story.
Exactly.

Just use Denzel as Tio Juan for Miles' Uncle or Miles' father himself.

No reason whatsoever for a black Peter Parker/Uncle Ben other than "Look at us! We're cool and hip!".
TCTTS
AG
There is another reason - to separate this iteration even further from the TWO white Peter Parkers over the last decade. Every time an issue like this comes up, someone always calls out whatever studio wanting to go the black route as simply, "Look at us! We're cool and hip!" When really, it makes no difference. Your insistence on him being white is just as wrong-headed.
FL_Ag1998
AG
From the article itself...

quote:
It would be the original character, just with a new paint job. It would be the most popular superhero in the world, changed to reflect more of the world than he had before

quote:
In the real world having a black Peter Parker would be about the most exciting way for Marvel to strike an amazing blow for progress

quote:
Like I mentioned last week, the [Sony] e-mails that leaked were perceived to be racist in some quarters. I really think that is going to play into things."

All stupid, politically-correct reasons to change the race of one of the top-three recognized superheroes of all time.

This is a perfect example of how Hollywood ****s things up and then scratches their head in wonder at why the rest of America rejects their "awesome" ideas.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, and what comes next is, "He's always been white. There's no reason to change him!"

But how is tradition a legit excuse to keep doing the exact same thing going forward? As the link above argues, there's absolutely NOTHING blatantly white about Peter Parker.
TCTTS
AG
FL_Ag1998 - You're still not giving a legit reason as to why he HAS to remain white.
TCTTS
AG
The only argument can't ALWAYS be "Hollywood is stupid."
redline248
AG
If it doesn't matter if Peter Parker is white or black, what about Superman or Batman?
TCTTS
AG
Please, I would love to hear a non-racist answer as to why Parker HAS to be white.
redline248
AG
quote:
The only argument can't ALWAYS be "Hollywood is stupid."

Well it is the correct answer for most of these things.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
If it doesn't matter if Peter Parker is white or black, what about Superman or Batman?

SURE. Why not? Seriously, who cares.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
You may not care, I really don't care, and most people won't care either. But people that have been huge fans of Spider-Man since they were kids may care, and there is nothing wrong with that. Some people do care about staying faithful to the source material.
TexasAggie_02
AG
so, progress is changing cultural icons that were white to black? wouldn't progress be getting more African Americans into the arts, and have them come up with their own new, and original intellectual properties?
TCTTS
AG
ALL OF THE ABOVE.
Bobcat06
AG
quote:
If Peter Parker is black, there is no reason for Miles Morales to exist
toucan82
**** it, I'm watching either way
redline248
AG
When you ask "why does he HAVE to be white," there is no answer. Just like there is no answer for "why does he need to be black?"

Look, if you're writing a book or story and you choose to make your main character white, give him a background that a white person might reasonably have...then someone wants to make a movie of your character but go "let's make him black and change his background to fit" would that make sense to you?

The problem I'm hearing is that this spider man needs to separate itself from the previous versions. It's not Marvels fault that Sony has decided to reboot Peter Parker for the 3rd time.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Listen we can go round and round. I've voiced my reasons and pointed out the reasoning in the argument that I find a turn-off. We're just going to have to agree to disagree. If this movie were strictly Sony, I'd likely ignore it just like I did with the Andrew Garfield versions and I plan on doing with that crap-looking Fantastic Four movie. Marvel, though, has won me over, and if they sign-off on it then so be it.

Simply put, when you have a product like Spiderman that people have been accustomed to for decades, and they are finally getting the chance to see him coming to life on-screen like they've always wanted (and no, the last two versions didn't show Spiderman/Peter Parker in the Marvel Universe, interacting with the Avengers, etc.) don't change **** because you want to send a political message.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
When you ask "why does he HAVE to be white," there is no answer. Just like there is no answer for "why does he need to be black?"

Look, if you're writing a book or story and you choose to make your main character white, give him a background that a white person might reasonably have...then someone wants to make a movie of your character but go "let's make him black and change his background to fit" would that make sense to you?

The problem I'm hearing is that this spider man needs to separate itself from the previous versions. It's not Marvels fault that Sony has decided to reboot Peter Parker for the 3rd time.

This.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
don't change **** because you want to send a political message.

It has NOTHING to do with sending a political message. Again, why does everyone revert to this as a defense? It's SEPARATING it from the Sony films, plain and simple.
First Page Last Page
Page 28 of 793

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.