Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,886,920 Views | 43963 Replies | Last: 33 min ago by maroon barchetta
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Replace Vader breathing with Vader yelling, "noooooooooooooo", and you've got yourself a kickass trailer.
TCTTS
AG
I can almost guarantee we won't see a trailer 'til spring. Maybe with BvS on March 25, but most likely not until Civil War. There's absolutely no reason to be advertising Rogue One this early.
dave94
AG
I think that the majority of the population has no idea a "non-trilogy" movie is even in the works.

They need to get the word out at some point so they can get across that this isn't a direct sequel to TFA.

I just don't give the public much credit I guess.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I can almost guarantee we won't see a trailer 'til spring. Maybe with BvS on March 25, but most likely not until Civil War. There's absolutely no reason to be advertising Rogue One this early.
Warner Bros would have been beating us over the head with it for 18 months already.
TCTTS
AG
Your two points seem contradictory. If the majority of the population has no idea Rogue One is in the works, no one is expecting it to be a sequel to TFA. I would assume almost everyone is aware that a sequel to TFA is coming sometime in 2017, if not later. So this is going to be a pleasant surprise. And three seconds into the first trailer, it'll be obvious that this is something wholly different from the new trilogy. Lucasfilm will make sure of that.

Still, it's Star Wars. Everyone and their dog will show up regardless. With TFA still in theaters, the Blu-ray still two months away, and The Jungle Book / Civil War on the immediate horizon for Disney, there's just no point in advertising Rogue One this early. A teaser trailer will likely debut with BvS or Civil War, then we may get a second look at Comic-Con in July, and then a final trailer sometime in the fall. That's still EIGHT months of advertising, which is far more than most movies get.
dave94
AG
Oh, I don't disagree that there's no need to rush a teaser out there.

I just know all my friends who loved TFA probably have no idea about Rogue One. I am curious how they approach the marketing for this.

In the end it will make bucks no matter what, because Star Wars.
redline248
AG
You've obviously failed as a friend if you haven't told them about rogue one.
dave94
AG
quote:

I should've said, my friends who don't get as geeked up as I do probably have no idea. There are some that are in the club.
dave94
AG
Stolen from dvdtalk...

Jason Ag
AG
quote:
quote:

I should've said, my friends who don't get as geeked up as I do probably have no idea. There are some that are in the club.

Dude, Darth Vader is supposed to be in the film. Marketing will not be an issue.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Stolen from dvdtalk...

dave99ag
AG
quote:
Stolen from dvdtalk...

I used to post there quite a bit back in the day as BigDave. That was my forum of choice before TexAgs.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/655753-production-officially-begins-on-star-wars-episode-viii
Tanya 93
My 7 year old calls Kylo Ren whiny butt fake Darth Vader who needs a therapist.

He also patted my hand towards the end of the movie when I may or may not have screamed what the **** at the top of my lungs. Then he offered me a sour gummy worm.

On the way home he informed me no one is dead in movies until we see the body burned, not buried. So maybe I was wrong to scream the swear word. Then he said I need to give him 5 dollars or he would tell Daddy I said a naughty word.
amercer
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I think that's the most I've ever enjoyed a Tanya post.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
spent a copious amount of time in the target book section last night reading TFA novelization. Best part is the last page when Rey extends the lightsaber to Luke and it reads " ... to Luke Skywalker. The galaxy's last hope."

jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
spent a copious amount of time in the target book section last night reading TFA novelization. Best part is the last page when Rey extends the lightsaber to Luke and it reads " ... to Luke Skywalker. The galaxy's last hope."

Atreides Ornithopter
AG
So the British Production Company for Episode VII is getting sued for Harrison Ford's broken leg

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/11/entertainment/star-wars-harrison-ford-broken-leg-charges/index.html

The Collective
AG
I'm sure this was posted awhile back, but I'm too lazy to check.
MGS
quote:

So I guess the next movie will be titled "Star Wars: An Old Hope"
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:

So I guess the next movie will be titled "Star Wars: An Old Hope"

If THAT'S what Abrams & co were trying to convey in that moment, it missed me completely. After wiping out what felt like 95% of The First Order, I definitely got the sense that the Resistance was firmly back in the driver's seat by film's end. Sure, Snoke, Kylo, Hux, Phasma, and a few thousand First Order survivors are likely still out there, but they hardly feel like a legit threat to the galaxy any more.

Actually... it just hit me how TFA should have ended. With all the parallels to A New Hope, how cool would it have been if they pulled a 180 at the end and didn't blow up Starkiller Base? By the end of the second act, it was so obvious that Starkiller Base was going to suffer the same fate as the Death Star, but the filmmakers could have easily used that expectation to their advantage, and it would have been so much more of a surprise then if the Resistance failed. Granted, I hated how unoriginal and non-sensical Starkiller Base was, and I'm glad we don't have to revisit it in Episode VIII, but it might have been worth it just for that moment with Luke at the end. The Resistance failed, they're on their heals... but Rey finally finds Luke, their last hope at truly challenging The First Order.

Sure, the Snoke/Kylo threat will no doubt be increased tenfold in Episode VIII, but I would have rather that plot thread have been set-up / carried through between VII & VIII instead of Snoke & co having to regroup. As is, Luke doesn't really feel "needed" at the end of TFA. Again, he'll definitely be needed in the next movie, but they're going to have to invent a new reason, and thus it won't feel as organic. I could be wrong, though...
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Maybe we could see them go in the direction of having Snoke and Kylo working to establish a full-fledged Knights of Ren to terrorize the galaxy, instead of yet another Empire/First Order iteration.

The remnants of the First Order (Phasma, Hux and any surviving Storm Troopers) could be used as a means to bring converts in to the Dark Side.

That would put the focus on the Force instead of the usual ominous size of the oppressive regime. Forget the Republic; forget the First Order. Have the threat to the galaxy be the rise of the Dark Side and Luke's attempts to train Rey in defeating Snoke and 'bringing balance back to the Galaxy.'
AliasMan02
AG
All good points, but remember that the Republic is all but dead now as well, and its fleet was destroyed.
Simplebay
AG
The Knights of Ren will definitely be back. I think they are out there still. Bill is right.

I too didn't get the vibe of "Help me Luke-bi Wan Kenobi, you're the galaxy's last hope." I got more of a... I need you, time to train me, please help us/me, but it wasn't so much of a we HAVE to find this guy right now. More like, your reward was finding him because you were looking for him to bring him out of exile. Yay we found him, not, thank christ we found him as he's the only one that can save us.
AliasMan02
AG
Agree. By that point it was all about Rey's journey to me.
dave94
AG
But from the opening crawl the quest was to find Luke. Whether or not Rey ever came into the mix, that's what the resistance was trying to do.

Like in A New Hope, there was a victory, but the war is not won.

We still don't know in what way Luke is so important, other than being the last-ish Jedi.
The Collective
AG
They made Starkiller Base extremely too powerful, and that put the writers into a corner as they had to make sure it was destroyed. Seemingly, the First Order should be reeling, but I don't know how large their #s are elsewhere in the galaxy. I guess that's the real question here. I would assume they are a large outfit, given that they have an indoctrination program setup for future stormtroopers and other FO members. Also, keep in mind that the functioning government was knocked out, so while the Resistance "won", there is going to be quite a conflict to resolve.
Ag Since 83
AG
I wonder if Episode VIII will be the chase film that ESB was, but turned on its head, by having the good guys go into the Unknown Regions to try and track the bad guys down. And they discover the First Order is far stronger than they imagined.
Thomas Ford 91
AG
I am intrigued by the idea of leaving the Starkiller Base intact, but if the screenwriters follow the pattern, the First Order is already working on a second Starkiller Base. According to intelligence gathered at a great cost, the Base is incomplete and unprotected. Many furry mammalian anthropoids died to bring that information to the Resistance, so it must be true. They choose to launch a surprise attack.

But, although it appears to be under construction, it is actually a fully operational Starkiller Base. Admiral Ackbar says "Its a Trap...Again!". This becomes the most popular meme in internet history. So they have that going for them.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'd like to think the entire First Order is just a distraction put for to make hte Republic think the battle will be fought along similar lines while he and Kylo put forth an army of dark side Force users
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
I would assume they are a large outfit, given that they have an indoctrination program setup for future stormtroopers and other FO members.
Also keep in mind that it's mentioned by either Hux or Kylo that there is access to a 'clone army' so they possibly have reserves ready to be called up.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
quote:
I would assume they are a large outfit, given that they have an indoctrination program setup for future stormtroopers and other FO members.
Also keep in mind that it's mentioned by either Hux or Kylo that there is access to a 'clone army' so they possibly have reserves ready to be called up.

He suggested as an alternative. It was just a reference/jab at the prequels.
redline248
AG
I thought the comment was that maybe Snoke should consider using clones, not that they had them already.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What if they have an army of cloned Lukes.
First Page Last Page
Page 365 of 1257

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.