Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,245 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by TCTTS
SpreadsheetAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As long as it sticks to certain Force-related dogma and doesn't twist it all up. But I don't think he'll have learned his lesson from TLJ wrt Subverted Expectations.

But I guess he doesn't care as long as he got paid.
AliasMan02
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

As long as it sticks to certain Force-related dogma and doesn't twist it all up. But I don't think he'll have learned his lesson from TLJ wrt Subverted Expectations.

Don't think it's fair to categorize RJ as some sort of Merc. The dude clearly loves Star Wars, even if he made some bad decisions and disappointed us.
TCTTS
AG
Well said. Agreed.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
AliasMan02 said:

SpreadsheetAg said:

Don't think it's fair to categorize RJ as some sort of Merc. The dude clearly loves Star Wars, even if he made some bad decisions and disappointed us.
I don't necessarily disagree, but if he truly loved Star Wars he would not have made the movie he made. Maybe he's now still subverting expectations by going after the money. His fans couldn't blame him.
Ag Since 83
AG
Here we go again
bangobango
AG
Well, if he is directing it, it's not happening anytime soon.
https://deadline.com/2018/09/daniel-craig-rian-johnson-knives-out-james-bond-25-star-wars-the-last-jedi-toronto-film-festival-auction-1202456539/

I think it's at the very least on hold.
TCTTS
AG
Johnson has always said that he might try to squeeze in another, smaller movie first. We were never going to get the first movie in his trilogy in 2020. He shoots Knives Out later this year for what I'm guessing will be a fall 2019 premiere. Then he could easily start filming his next SW effort summer 2020 for a December 2021 release (same schedule Abrams is on for IX).
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Further, if he truly loves Star Wars, he'd stay away for the good of the franchise.
AliasMan02
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Further, if he truly loves Star Wars, he'd stay away for the good of the franchise.

Give it a rest, man.
Belton Ag
AG
I'm actually interested in what Johnson can do with a story and characters of his own creation set in the Star Wars universe. Like most, I hope he lays off the ham-fisted morality and political angles, but I'm not completely unwilling to give him a second chance.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Man, I'm not going to go deep into it or off on a rage filled rant, but in my opinion TLJ was bad enough that Rian Johnson is a bad writer and filmmaker in my eyes.

He didn't make "daring and controversial choices" that are better suited for a more narrow audience via streaming. He wrote horrible dialogue and a horrendous plot. That's not going to be any different on the small screen or in his own serial of movies.

I'll see another one of his upcoming Star Wars movies/shows at some point simply because I love the property and so does my 9 year old son. But it won't be opening weekend, or likely even in the theaters. And if its actually decent, I'll say so, but at this point I'm not excited by the thought of it. Just the thought of him potentially being the forerunner of one of the expected Star Wars shows on their streaming network is dampening my enthusiasm for it.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Ditto. It's like watching Aggie Football with Fran as head coach after the 77-0 debacle. It's Aggie Football so I'll watch and root for the team, but it doesn't mean I didn't want Franchione fired.
The Collective
AG
bearamedic99
AG
Add me to the no more RJ camp. there are so many other directors to try.
Urban Ag
AG
Seriously think it might be a good idea to start a stand alone thread to post pent up Star Wars anger fits.

These discussions have gone on and on for months and months. Nothing wrong with voicing opinions but hashing out the same sh** over and over again, months and months later, is pointless to this thread.

IMO of course
Flashdiaz
AG
sounds like something a RJ sympathizer would say.

jk... agree.

Here's a rare pic of ammunitions gathering for the first line of defense on Hoth:

jabberwalkie09
AG
Goddammit, all I can think of is "Do you want to build a snowman?"
AliasMan02
AG
Flashdiaz said:

sounds like something a RJ sympathizer would say.

jk... agree.

Here's a rare pic of ammunitions gathering for the first line of defense on Hoth:

Fun fact: Carrie is so happy because it's her birthday and she was just told that all of the prop snow is cocaine.
bangobango
AG
Urban Ag said:

Seriously think it might be a good idea to start a stand alone thread to post pent up Star Wars anger fits.

These discussions have gone on and on for months and months. Nothing wrong with voicing opinions but hashing out the same sh** over and over again, months and months later, is pointless to this thread.

IMO of course

Comments so far have been pretty innocuous. I personally feel the rush to "not make a big deal about TLJ" ends up making it a bigger deal than it would be if people just let others vent without taking offense to it all the time.

I also don't get why it seems like some of you feel that it's okay for you to say something negative about Star Wars, but anytime somebody else does it's all the sudden "time to move on."
Urban Ag
AG
I was so going there, didn't want to though, so thanks for handling.
cbr
AG
lol, disney 'slowing down' star wars production due to solo poor performance and 'too much content'

disney, the movies bombed because TLJ ABSOLUTELY ****ING TOTALLY SUCKED ASS IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY AND INTENTIONALLY TRASHED ALMOST EVERYTHING LEFT OF THE ORIGINAL MOVIE THAT WAS THE FOUNDATION FOR EVERYTHING!!!

I havent even seen solo, because the casting is obviously pretty pathetic, and I wouldn't trust a movie ticket price tag to the *******s that fed me TLJ.

But from what I have heard, its just more marshmellowy, ambiguously gay millennial bull****, and I don't mean that in a 'falcon' type of way.

Make some really good movies, with real badasses, good and bad, and we will go see as many as you make, disney.

hurleyag
AG
cbr said:

lol, disney 'slowing down' star wars production due to solo poor performance and 'too much content'

disney, the movies bombed because TLJ ABSOLUTELY ****ING TOTALLY SUCKED ASS IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY AND INTENTIONALLY TRASHED ALMOST EVERYTHING LEFT OF THE ORIGINAL MOVIE THAT WAS THE FOUNDATION FOR EVERYTHING!!!

I havent even seen solo, because the casting is obviously pretty pathetic, and I wouldn't trust a movie ticket price tag to the *******s that fed me TLJ.

But from what I have heard, its just more marshmellowy, ambiguously gay millennial bull****, and I don't mean that in a 'falcon' type of way.

Make some really good movies, with real badasses, good and bad, and we will go see as many as you make, disney.

What? The casting was amazing.
TCTTS
AG
Urban Ag said:

IMO of course

If Johnson were one and done, that might work. But because he's part of the future of Star Wars as well, any time his name is mentioned in an update from here on out, someone will always feel the need to chime in and say how much they hated TLJ, diss Johnson, etc. I've let my feelings be known on the subject over the course a couple bigger discussions, when it felt appropriate - and don't need to say another word on the subject - but there will never not be the people who don't keep up with this thread, who see "TLJ" or Johnson's name, and will be triggered into saying something. I'm afraid it's just something we're going to have to deal with at least until late 2019, when we finally have another movie and a TV show to direct our love or hate towards, and I think at that point all the Johnson discussion will finally die down. That is, until 2021 or so and we have to go through this all over again.
TCTTS
AG
cbr said:

This doesn't even justify a response, as you clearly have an ax to grind, but A) the casting was decidedly *not* pathetic, as anyone who has actually seen the movie will attest, and B) You've clearly "heard" from the wrong people, as there is literally nothing "ambiguously gay" about this movie, nor does it feature "millennial bullsh*t."

As for "really good movies, with with badasses, good and bad," this is exactly that. I can think of multiple "badasses" featured prominently in it, but you obviously don't understand who Han is at his core if clear cut "good and bad" is the only thing that works for you. He's always been a lovable scoundrel with a conscious, which, by definition, means he's someone who's struggling to do good, and good is of course what wins out, but it's a fight to get there.

In short, please keep your ridiculously shortsighted, shallow, and bias opinions out of this thread, at least until you've seen the movie for yourself.
Rex Racer
AG
Solo was a darn good movie. It's a shame more people didn't go to the theater to see it. I think some people will give in and watch it now that it is available for home viewing, and it will become more popular.
bangobango
AG
And another post that would've passed on with not much comment that now may blow up into several pages of efights because some of you have elected yourself police of content on this thread.
TCTTS
AG
In the face of ignorance, I'm always going to argue for a good movie. Sorry if that makes me a cop.
Saul Goodman
AG
cbr said:

Man-baby alert
redline248
AG
TCTTS said:

In the face of ignorance, I'm always going to argue for a good movie. Sorry if that makes me a cop.

You can just say "Solo was good, you should watch it and then judge it."
Hagen95
AG
bangobango said:

And another post that would've passed on with not much comment that now may blow up into several pages of efights because some of you have elected yourself police of content on this thread.

The irony. So thick here.
Toptierag2018
#theforceisfemale
redline248
AG
Toptierag2018 said:

#theforceisfemale
Uh, no. Females can't impregnate other females (Anakin)

/taking this seriously in any way, I am not
edited to restructure disclaimer in Yoda format
Urban Ag
AG
That's fine. I'm not trying to playing board cop and I've been pretty vocal about my disdain for the TLJ and some of RJ's antics. Regardless, just seems like we beat this dead horse over and over again. But if that's what people want to do here, so bet it I guess.
TCTTS
AG
I hear you. I don't like it anymore than you do, I just don't know how to solve it. Johnson's name will always be in the news, and no matter how much we try to keep all the b*tching to another thread, it'll no doubt keep popping up here.
AliasMan02
AG
People could just objectively and respectfully discuss their opinions without throwing fits. That would be a start, and I don't think that's too much to ask of this community. And, as many recall, that was how this forum overwhelmingly was for a LONG time.

Basically, everyone should just post in a way that FAST FRED would have approved of.
First Page Last Page
Page 764 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.