Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,571 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 6 hrs ago by TCTTS
YouBet
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hate y'all and want to be there.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Going in 2019... will probably spend 2-3 days in Star Wars areas.
The Collective
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

Going in 2019... will probably spend 2-3 days in Star Wars areas.

I figure I will be dropping about $6k-$8k in a few years for my kids to experience a Star Wars adventure
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's definitely not peak crowds, but there's still a lot of people.

I'm actually moving to Florida later this month and will be converting my current ticket to an annual pass. I plan on coming on opening day of Star Wars.
twilly
AG
My family and I are talking about doing a trip to Disney World in December 2019 to go to Galaxy's Edge, and then see Ep IX in Florida while we're there.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Our plan for the last couple of years has been to go Thanksgiving week in 2019. I have not seen anything that changes when they estimated Star Wars Land to be finished, so Thanksgiving works as far as getting to see and do everything in SW Land. (Side note - last trip there Thanksgiving 2013, I stood outside the walled-off area in Magic Kingdom where the Dwarf Mine Car roller coaster was still being built, so I am adamant about that not happening again with SW Land).

Lately, I've been considering what the crowds Thanksgiving week next year will be like with SW Land having recently opened. I'm actually considering pushing the trip back a year.
The Collective
AG
The $ time to visit is around the first week of December. Park is beautiful, weather is decent, night time is early (so easier for little kids to make firework shows), and kids are still in school. It is worth pulling kids from school to do it. Just check the attraction closure schedule and make sure there is nothing closed that you really want to do.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

TCTTS
AG
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Sweet watching it tonight!

Quote:

Solo: A Star Wars Story DVD and Blu-ray release date is set for September 25, 2018 and available on Digital HD from Amazon Video and iTunes on September 14, 2018.
fig96
AG
Almost stayed up last night to watch (iTunes store makes updates around 11:00pm central) but better judgement won out. Will probably stay up tonight after seeing Predator.

I felt like Solo is going to have a lot of rewatchability after my first viewing, interested to see if that holds up.
AliasMan02
AG
I'm super impressed with JK. Straight up awesome dude who loves sharing the process with fans, while being unphased by haters.
TCTTS
AG
Absolutely. Seems like a great guy.
The Collective
AG
fig96 said:

Almost stayed up last night to watch (iTunes store makes updates around 11:00pm central) but better judgement won out. Will probably stay up tonight after seeing Predator.

Doesn't look like better judgment is being used tonight.
fig96
AG
CJS4715 said:

fig96 said:

Doesn't look like better judgment is being used tonight.
I'd personally question the judgement of anyone who doesn't want to see a Shane Black directed Predator sooo...
TCTTS
AG
How did I miss this?

TCTTS
AG
This is awesome...

The Collective
AG
I only saw the movie once in the theater, so I'm really looking forward to watching this one again.
fig96
AG
Watched it over the weekend, this one is already growing on me even more and it's gonna be really rewatchable.

Solo is just so damn fun...a great chase sequence, some great action sequences, really clever humor, it's just really well balanced and entertaining while incorporating lots of little nods to the classic trilogy.
TCTTS
AG

TCTTS
AG
If there is a future for the Solo franchise, I think this it. In the form of limited series on the steaming platform. I know a few people here have brought up the idea of the potential Solo sequel movies debuting on the platform (as opposed to in theaters), but 3-8 episode limit series feel absolutely perfect. And there's not a star in that franchise they couldn't get for a few episodes.
TCTTS
AG
Regardless, this is going to be so damn fun, and opens a world (or a galaxy, rather) of possibilities. When someone like Disney enters the streaming game, it finally allows for that kind of movie/TV show synchronicity so many of us here have talked about over the years, where shows can fill in the gaps between movies, or where the first "episode" of a series can debut theatrically, but then continue on TV. Gets me so fired up that that's finally here, and with Disney taking that first step, all the other platforms will have to follow. Especially considering the recent news that Netflix is teaming up with IMAX. Get ready, because everything is about to change over the next five years or so, and it's going to be so exciting to watch.
double aught
AG
fig96 said:

Watched it over the weekend, this one is already growing on me even more and it's gonna be really rewatchable.

Solo is just so damn fun...a great chase sequence, some great action sequences, really clever humor, it's just really well balanced and entertaining while incorporating lots of little nods to the classic trilogy.

Agree with this. I watched it on a plane today and probably enjoyed it more the second time. It's a fun movie with a number of good character moments. Alden Ehrenreich is quite good in a tricky role.

One small callback to the OT that I missed on the first viewing: Han puts his arm around Lando, causing him to say "I hate you." Han's reply is a simple "I know."
Gigem314
AG
Put me down for more of Solo and Lando. The movie caught some flak for a variety of reasons, but I enjoyed it. Would like to see Alden and Glover again on the same screen in these roles.
Farmer1906
AG
Gigem314 said:

Put me down for more of Solo and Lando. The movie caught some flak for a variety of reasons, but I enjoyed it. Would like to see Alden and Glover again on the same screen in these roles.

Ditto. I enjoyed it. I'd watch more.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Ditto; nice save Ron Howard
Dekker_Lentz
AG
I think a series (5?) standalone movies/"episodes" of 45-90 minute standalone stories involving some combination of Solo/Lando/Chewie/Qi'ra/Maul would be pretty awesome.

I think Solo would have been better in a serial format instead of as a movie series.

Not that this has any bearing on anything, but the free to play phone game just converted the Solo characters into a new faction called "Smugglers".

I think Smugglers makes a decent name for this idea.
twilly
AG
Bob Iger, Disney CEO, gave an interview that partially deals with the future of Star Wars, mistakes that were made, and how things may be slowing down a bit.
Quote:

"I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made I take the blame was a little too much, too fast. You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn't mean we're not gonna make films. J.J. [Abrams] is busy making [Episode] IX. We have creative entities, including [Game of Thrones creators David] Benioff and [D.B.] Weiss, who are developing sagas of their own, which we haven't been specific about. And we are just at the point where we're gonna start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.'s. But I think we're gonna be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that."
Summary of Interview on TheForce.net

Full Interview in The Hollywood Reporter
Urban Ag
AG
Meh. TCTTS posted dozens of pages back that he was convinced we'd get a Star Wars movie every year. That put a smile on my face.

I think Disney is really premature to come to the conclusion that they need to dial it back. Sure, Solo coming so soon after TLJ, and the TLJ sucking, was problematic. But it feels like their confidence is really shaken at this point which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Rogue One was amazing. Solo was good. For me anyway, TFA is serviceable, but regardless of my opinion, it killed it at the box office. TLJ sucked but also killed it at the box office. And it's not as if the MCU hasn't had a few dogs.

The Obi Wan concept for a stand alone or even two movie set would absolutely kill it. Even the biggest prequal haters seem to have liked Ewin in that role. So many other great ideas out there. Hope that after Ep9 they find some sort of cadence to get a movie released annually, Dec or May, doesn't matter to me.
bangobango
AG
twilly said:

Bob Iger, Disney CEO, gave an interview that partially deals with the future of Star Wars, mistakes that were made, and how things may be slowing down a bit.
Quote:

"I made the timing decision, and as I look back, I think the mistake that I made I take the blame was a little too much, too fast. You can expect some slowdown, but that doesn't mean we're not gonna make films. J.J. [Abrams] is busy making [Episode] IX. We have creative entities, including [Game of Thrones creators David] Benioff and [D.B.] Weiss, who are developing sagas of their own, which we haven't been specific about. And we are just at the point where we're gonna start making decisions about what comes next after J.J.'s. But I think we're gonna be a little bit more careful about volume and timing. And the buck stops here on that."
Summary of Interview on TheForce.net

Full Interview in The Hollywood Reporter

No mention of a Rian Johnson trilogy?
bangobango
AG
Urban Ag said:

Meh. TCTTS posted dozens of pages back that he was convinced we'd get a Star Wars movie every year. That put a smile on my face.

I think Disney is really premature to come to the conclusion that they need to dial it back. Sure, Solo coming so soon after TLJ, and the TLJ sucking, was problematic. But it feels like their confidence is really shaken at this point which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. Rogue One was amazing. Solo was good. For me anyway, TFA is serviceable, but regardless of my opinion, it killed it at the box office. TLJ sucked but also killed it at the box office. And it's not as if the MCU hasn't had a few dogs.

The Obi Wan concept for a stand alone or even two movie set would absolutely kill it. Even the biggest prequal haters seem to have liked Ewin in that role. So many other great ideas out there. Hope that after Ep9 they find some sort of cadence to get a movie released annually, Dec or May, doesn't matter to me.

My guess is they're going to wait and see what happens with Episode IX before they commit to too many other things under the leadership they currently have in place.
Render
AG
twilly said:

Quote:

"I may have gone too far in a few places."
TCTTS
AG
Urban Ag said:

I think that was right after Solo first screened, and everyone was loving it, but before its opening weekend "bomb." Everyone and their dog was excitedly talking about an entire Solo franchise, and for that brief moment, it felt like we might even be getting two Star Wars movies every year, between the Solo franchise, additional spin-offs, the Johnson trilogy, and the Benioff & Weiss movies. But then Solo tanked, Lucasfilm canceled all future spin-offs, and it's been pretty clear since then that we weren't getting a Star Wars movie not only in 2020, but that Lucasfilm was going to reassess and be more cautious from here on out. Iger today just confirmed that.

That said, give the Disney streaming platform a chance. I really do think it's going to change the game. We may only get a theatrical Star Wars movie every other year for the next few years (though I think they'll eventually go back to every year), but I'm betting the streaming platform will have a SW series every year from here on out, starting next year, if not more, and will start to incorporate movies as well. Once they have that one-two punch really figured out (what debuts theatrically and what debuts on the platform), after this theatrical "test run" of sorts the past few years, and learning from those mistakes, this will be a well-oiled franchise to the point where I can't imagine we'll ever be complaining about a lack of content again.
twilly
AG
I also noticed the Rian Johnson omission. But what I took from that, in conjunction with Johnson himself saying his deal is still a go and Iger's specific mention of a movie saga for the GOT guys, is maybe Johnson's saga isn't meant for the big screen.

Johnson might be better suited for a movie serial on the streaming service, where being more daring and controversial is not only tolerated, but encouraged.
TCTTS
AG
That would be an absolutely welcomed pivot (Johnson's trilogy to streaming).
First Page Last Page
Page 763 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.