Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,560 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 55 min ago by TCTTS
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Normally I don't give enough a rip of other's opinions on a movie to even bother watching things like that video. I did watch this one, though, and that was full of some funny, funny stuff. NSFW stuff at times. He picked up on a lot of details that I don't think I ever noticed, like the two dudes standing in the background discussing the weather or whatever right after purple hair hyperspaced through Snoke's ship. Great observation, and hilarious in how he presented it.

As a lifelong Star Wars nut, I find it quite revealing that I've not had any desire to watch TLJ again.
Malachi Constant
AG
My wife and I saw TLJ on opening night. Right as the credits rolled I turned to her and said "I don't think I liked it." I was right.
NoHo Hank
AG
I watched about half the Plinkett review. Brought back a host of bad memories.

The thing that I kept thinking when watching the movie is just how staggeringly incompetent everyone on both sides were. It's like post ROTJ everyone started banging their siblings and 4 generations later, we're left with a bunch of inbred dumbasses populating the universe.
Urban Ag
AG
One of the things that stuck out in the Plinkett video (which by the way, that was outstanding) was the comparison of the Imperial officers to the First Order officers.

The Imperial officers looked, sounded, and acted like professional military men. Completely believable. British accents were definitely a plus. General Veers in full stormtrooper armor going in to battle with his men and calmly stating from the battlefield "the shield will be down in moments Lord Vader, you may start your landing" were the kind of touches that made the Emperials believable as a professional military. By comparison, and as he noted, the First Order officers are a comedy routine. Hux wasn't good in the TFA but in TLJ it was just comedy at that point. The empire could actually create a sense of dread of despair. The First Order is almost slapstick.
Flashdiaz
AG
Hux in TFA was almost Kylo's equal in ranking.

TLJ made him a joke (mama joke, Snoke throws him around, Kylo throws him around)... he needs to die early in the next film to make way for someone more formidable that's not blue.
The Collective
AG
Damn, now I'm starting to think there is no way IX can recover this saga. It seems the lesson should be to stay away from episodic format, and focus on one off films and tv series/mini-series for now.
Flashdiaz
AG
no, the lesson is to have a damn outline for the episodes and not let each new director do whatever they want with the characters without regard to history or future.
WestAustinAg
AG
I still can't figure out why Luke had a Just for Men touch up when he did his Jedi non-Jedi specific astral projection thingy, placing his dark-haired with a trim self into the last battle scene.

Maybe they will create a time travel narrative in IX...ugh...
The Collective
AG
I just assume that he projected himself in the way others might remember him before he went into exile. IDK.
Flashdiaz
AG
you don't want to know what i'd comically enhance in my astral image.
WestAustinAg
AG
CJS4715 said:

I just assume that he projected himself in the way others might remember him before he went into exile. IDK.
Maybe. But I think that this idea is just so bad and nonsensical that it reveals how bad this storyline is. Never has a director tried to do such a thing to help some other characters in the film.

The only intelligent (?) way to explain this is that it will reveal a time traveling storyline. Which would be horrible also.

Or it could be that Hamill actually had darkened his hair and gotten a cut right before he did this scene.
The Collective
AG
Yea, I'm not a fan of it particularly. I also think it's weird that he has Anakin's lightsaber.
Flashdiaz
AG
which Kylo quickly identified in TFA, then he helped destroy it. Now Luke has it again. wait wut?
redline248
AG
So much of that movie just doesn't make sense.
The Collective
AG
Flashdiaz said:

which Kylo quickly identified in TFA, then he helped destroy it. Now Luke has it again. wait wut?

Yea, is the point there to show us that Kylo is so distracted by his rage that he misses these very basic things? I don't know.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Sex Panther said:

TCTTS said:

I've always disliked TLJ from the very first sequence, the very first time I saw it in theaters, but I've gone back and forth so many times as to what about it was smart, what wasn't, what worked, what didn't, etc. I've tried and tried to give certain aspects of it the benefit of the doubt, despite the fact that it's never worked as a whole, but this video finally sent me over the edge.

I officially hate The Last Jedi.

This gif usage is most impressive.
Batzarro
AG
How could one hate TLJ and like The Force Awakens?

TFA introduces a villian that is supposedly the son of Han Solo and an instant prodigy force sensitive girl all with no backstory. I'm sorry but besides not looking like Carrie Fisher or Harrison Ford, Han Solo's son would be more like a Huckleberry Finn, not a goth, emo wanna-be Darth Vader. TFA is pretty much a re-hash of previous films in terms of plot.

TFA also missed a huge opportunity to have Luke Skywalker in the film. Mark Hamill killed it in terms of acting on TLJ and has been way under-utilized IMO.
TCTTS
AG
They're both pretty bad movies, but TFA is MILES more fun that TLJ. TFA has a certain charm, despite all the flaws you mentioned and more.
Batzarro
AG
TCTTS said:

They're both pretty bad movies, but TFA is MILES more fun that TLJ. TFA has a certain charm, despite all the flaws you mentioned and more.
I hear ya.

I am doubtful Abrams can pull off a thoughtful story that completes the trilogy, while developing the characters. I think at least Rian Johnson developed some of the main characters even though it was not the way the audience would have wanted. I agree TLJ did not have a strong "Star Wars" charm, especially in the dialogue, the exception being the Rey/Luke Skywalker scenes.
average_joker
AG
Siap: has anyone seen Remakethelastjedi.com
They've seriously raised over $400 mil to hand to Disney if they will agree to remake TLJ.
TCTTS
AG
The only x-factor this go around is Chris Terrio, who co-wrote IX with Abrams. Yes, Terrio DID write Batman v Superman, but he also won an Oscar for writing Argo. Besides, I chalk most of BvS' problems up to Snyder and that script getting ground up in that whole machine. That, and Terrio is considered whip-smart by a ton of people in the industry, so I'm hoping he was able to not only compliment Abrams' best intentions and suppress his worse, but that his approach as an "outsider" of sorts who hasn't been involved with the franchise previously helps the story in new and fresh ways. But we'll see. All I know is that Abrams has been VERY complimentary of Terrio in the IX writing process, calling him a "genius," and hopefully that's not just lip service.
Batzarro
AG
I hope the origin of Snoke is discussed in some sort of flashback sequence that makes sense for the entire 9 movie series.

There are hints that Snoke is from the unexplored regions of the Outer Rim but my origin story is this:

At the time of his death, Snoke Ren was about 83 years old. Snoke is perhaps the last surviving victim of Order 66 as a former Jedi.

As a young, good looking man, vain and confident- Snoke was at best a moderately performing Jedi, relegated to more diplomatic and academic tasks than leading battalions in the Clone Wars. Thus he was low on Palpatine's priority hit list when Order 66 came down. He was attacked by clone troopers at docking port on Nar Shadaa but survived Order 66 thanks to random smugglers. Though badly maimed, worse was the trauma inflicted and the fear that grew inside him. After a limited recovery, he fled in fear to the unexplored regions after stealing a freighter. His fear instincts led him to kill the freighter crew, except the droids. That was the start of his journey into the dark side.

In the unexplored regions Snoke sought out survival and a way to destroy the sith. The only place he knew, from his days in the Jedi Temple Library, was the remains of the first Sith Temple. There he figured he could find a fundamental weakness in the Sith. A weakness that caused them to abandon this temple thousands of years prior. The dark side proved to be too tempting however, and he learned their powers, their ways. Despite this, he would not join the Sith. He would found his own dark society, one that did not follow the rule of two. Snoke figured he could have several apprentices, or a battalion, his own society in his image such as the Knights of Ren. After 26 years, he was a powerful master of the force at the time of the destruction of the second death star.

Years later he would find the leaderless First Order. After a demonstration of his incredible power and a convincing argument, officers quickly "bent the knee" to accept his leadership.

A few years later he would find the famous Jedi Master Luke Skywalker. He appeared to Luke as merely an old man, a surviving member of the old Jedi Order. "Was Master Yoda wrong?" thought Luke..."Was I not, the last of the jedi?"

He would tell his story to Luke but only to a point, he only stated he fled into the outer regions for safety. That he was too injured to participate in the rebellion. After befriending Luke, he gained access to Luke's students at the new Jedi Academy as a "guest lecturer" of sorts. This is when he first met Ben Solo.

What happened next, you can imagine. He corrupted young Solo before Luke could figure out what was going on. Once Luke did figure it out, he and Snoke fought in a private battle. He incurred more injuries but was rescued by the First Order, with a young Hux in the rescue party. Luke chased them in his X-Wing and owned a ton of legacy Tie Fighers/Intercepters. Nevertheless Snoke and Hux escaped to Hyperspace. When Snoke arrived at the capital planet of the First Order, a formal coronation took place, naming him as the Supreme Leader. Its worth noting, this title that reflects his respect for the military's position as primary institution in galactic rule. This public coronation, broadcast throughout the galaxy, revealed to Luke and Leia how deceived they truly were. To a young Solo, an inner conflict grew, out of admiration for the grandfather figure he knew. From this point on, they would converse across the Galaxy thru the Force.
Flashdiaz
AG
That would be a long flashback for a guy that was last seen cut in half, hand cut off, and tongue comically sticking out.
Batzarro
AG
Lol, maybe as part of a Luke Skywalker standalone?
bangobango
AG
Glad to see some of y'all finally coming around.
Ag Since 83
AG
John Williams tonight at the Hollywood Bowl w/ special guest Steven Spielberg. It was simply incredible. Night ended with Spielberg and Williams on stage waving lightsabers with the crowd.
redline248
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's so ****ing cool.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So close yet so far.
The Collective
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

So close yet so far.

Did you get the podrace on Star Tours?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Kashyyk and Naboo
Farmer1906
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

Kashyyk and Naboo

You ONLY did it twice?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Also, unrelated --

The new Toy Story Land is ****ing dope.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That's once. We went to Hollywood Studios for a half day today after Epcot. We're doing it all day Thursday and I'll get at least another two in.

Also, the Star Wars fireworks spectacular is amazing.
double aught
AG
Brian Earl Spilner said:

That's once. We went to Hollywood Studios for a half day today after Epcot. We're doing it all day Thursday and I'll get at least another two in.

Also, the Star Wars fireworks spectacular is amazing.
How are the crowds? We're flying in tomorrow.
First Page Last Page
Page 762 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.