Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,859,763 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 7 hrs ago by TCTTS
Urban Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hagen95 said:

bangobango said:

And another post that would've passed on with not much comment that now may blow up into several pages of efights because some of you have elected yourself police of content on this thread.

The irony. So thick here.

Poster 1: I tried the new Salsa burger at Whataburger. It was terrible. F Whataburger. Oh and now they want me to try their new Spicy Chicken sandwich? F that. It's just going to be more terrible food. Terrible. I'll never set foot inside a Whataburger until they start making some badass burgers again.

Poster 2: Wait, how do you know the new Spicy Chicken is terrible if you haven't tried it? And regardless of that fact you hated the Salsa burger, I've had the new Spicy Chicken and it's really good. And the fries were good. At least give it a try before you say it's bad and everything Whataburger makes now sucks.

Poster 3: You know, if you'd just keep your opinions to yourself Mr Food Critic, this wouldn't turn in to a big argument.

Poster 2: Wait, what?
TCTTS
AG
AliasMan02 said:

People could just objectively and respectfully discuss their opinions without throwing fits. That would be a start, and I don't think that's too much to ask of this community. And, as many recall, that was how this forum overwhelmingly was for a LONG time.

Basically, everyone should just post in a way that FAST FRED would have approved of.

I don't disagree. And FAST FRED will always be a shining example. It's just really, really hard when the blatant ignorance drips as thickly as it did from that post. That kind of stuff simply sets me off. I'm trying to be better about ignoring stuff like that, but this board sometimes makes it harder and harder to do so.
Sex Panther
AG
Are you telling me there's a Salsa Burger at Whataburger?!
TCTTS
AG
Thank you for this. Headed back to Texas tomorrow for a wedding (yes, on the same day as the Bama game) and reading this not knowing when I'd get to have Whataburger again would have been pure torture.
The Collective
AG
Sweet & spicy bacon burger... prepare thy anus now!
FL_Ag1998
AG
AliasMan02 said:

People could just objectively and respectfully discuss their opinions without throwing fits. That would be a start, and I don't think that's too much to ask of this community. And, as many recall, that was how this forum overwhelmingly was for a LONG time.

Basically, everyone should just post in a way that FAST FRED would have approved of.

I'm all for this, and honestly that's what I tried to do in my last post about not liking Rian Johnson. I didn't attack anybody else for their opinion on him, I didn't use any hyperboles, and I don't feel that I went on overly long. So my question is this.... is every sort of "negative commentary" frowned upon? Is there room for civil disagreement?

I get not wanting to rehash what we felt was wrong with The Last Jedi at this point in time, by all means that's been over done to death, but with my last post I was honestly explaining why my expectation for the future of Star Wars will be lowered if it involves Rian Johnson. I felt like that topic was fair game for discussion, but if it's not, then fine. I truly don't want to contribute to this board being a drag.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
I just hope Ron Howard gets another shot at a Star Wars movie.
bangobango
AG
FL_Ag1998 said:

AliasMan02 said:

I'm all for this, and honestly that's what I tried to do in my last post about not liking Rian Johnson. I didn't attack anybody else for their opinion on him, I didn't use any hyperboles, and I don't feel that I went on overly long. So my question is this.... is every sort of "negative commentary" frowned upon? Is there room for civil disagreement?

I get not wanting to rehash what we felt was wrong with The Last Jedi at this point in time, by all means that's been over done to death, but with my last post I was honestly explaining why my expectation for the future of Star Wars will be lowered if it involves Rian Johnson. I felt like that topic was fair game for discussion, but if it's not, then fine. I truly don't want to contribute to this board being a drag.

All negative commentary is frowned on unless you're one of a few select posters. Those special few can post negative all they want, but they will also be sure to remind you that you need to move along or that YOUR negative opinions are not welcome on this thread.
bangobango
AG
Urban Ag said:

Hagen95 said:

bangobango said:

And another post that would've passed on with not much comment that now may blow up into several pages of efights because some of you have elected yourself police of content on this thread.

Poster 1: I tried the new Salsa burger at Whataburger. It was terrible. F Whataburger. Oh and now they want me to try their new Spicy Chicken sandwich? F that. It's just going to be more terrible food. Terrible. I'll never set foot inside a Whataburger until they start making some badass burgers again.

Poster 2: Wait, how do you know the new Spicy Chicken is terrible if you haven't tried it? And regardless of that fact you hated the Salsa burger, I've had the new Spicy Chicken and it's really good. And the fries were good. At least give it a try before you say it's bad and everything Whataburger makes now sucks.

Poster 3: You know, if you'd just keep your opinions to yourself Mr Food Critic, this wouldn't turn in to a big argument.

More like

Poster one (9 months after release of TLJ):

Quote:

But throughout this I've absolutely felt that Johnson did in fact triple down on shamelessly pandering to certain groups and demographics. Worse, the allegations leveled at many people who were critical of the film have been horribly unfair. You can in fact dislike TLJ and not be a misogynistic ass hole. That's always bothered me.

Poster two:

Quote:

Man, I'm not going to go deep into it or off on a rage filled rant, but in my opinion TLJ was bad enough that Rian Johnson is a bad writer and filmmaker in my eyes.

He didn't make "daring and controversial choices" that are better suited for a more narrow audience via streaming. He wrote horrible dialogue and a horrendous plot. That's not going to be any different on the small screen or in his own serial of movies.

I'll see another one of his upcoming Star Wars movies/shows at some point simply because I love the property and so does my 9 year old son. But it won't be opening weekend, or likely even in the theaters. And if its actually decent, I'll say so, but at this point I'm not excited by the thought of it. Just the thought of him potentially being the forerunner of one of the expected Star Wars shows on their streaming network is dampening my enthusiasm for it.

Poster one:

Quote:

Seriously think it might be a good idea to start a stand alone thread to post pent up Star Wars anger fits.

These discussions have gone on and on for months and months. Nothing wrong with voicing opinions but hashing out the same sh** over and over again, months and months later, is pointless to this thread.

IMO of course.
Belton Ag
AG
nvm
YouBet
AG
Urban Ag said:

Hagen95 said:

bangobango said:

I do think we should all be able to agree that Whataburger has the best ketchup.

And anyone that doesnt agree with that should be perma banned. And don't come at me with some bullsh^t about spelling it catsup either.
bearamedic99
AG
wait, is Fast Fred dead? Not that I know him but I enjoy his posts
AG
In believe he passed a year ago. A family member posted under his account and let the board know.
bearamedic99
twilly
AG
How about a change of pace around here?

Star Wars: A New Hope done anime style. Just a trailer, but if the fans that did this go full movie, totally freakin' awesome.

redline248
AG
I love the way these kind of artists show emotion

cbr
AG
TCTTS said:

cbr said:

lol, disney 'slowing down' star wars production due to solo poor performance and 'too much content'

disney, the movies bombed because TLJ ABSOLUTELY ****ING TOTALLY SUCKED ASS IN EVERY POSSIBLE WAY AND INTENTIONALLY TRASHED ALMOST EVERYTHING LEFT OF THE ORIGINAL MOVIE THAT WAS THE FOUNDATION FOR EVERYTHING!!!

I havent even seen solo, because the casting is obviously pretty pathetic, and I wouldn't trust a movie ticket price tag to the *******s that fed me TLJ.

But from what I have heard, its just more marshmellowy, ambiguously gay millennial bull****, and I don't mean that in a 'falcon' type of way.

Make some really good movies, with real badasses, good and bad, and we will go see as many as you make, disney.

This doesn't even justify a response, as you clearly have an ax to grind, but A) the casting was decidedly *not* pathetic, as anyone who has actually seen the movie will attest, and B) You've clearly "heard" from the wrong people, as there is literally nothing "ambiguously gay" about this movie, nor does it feature "millennial bullsh*t."

As for "really good movies, with with badasses, good and bad," this is exactly that. I can think of multiple "badasses" featured prominently in it, but you obviously don't understand who Han is at his core if clear cut "good and bad" is the only thing that works for you. He's always been a lovable scoundrel with a conscious, which, by definition, means he's someone who's struggling to do good, and good is of course what wins out, but it's a fight to get there.

In short, please keep your ridiculously shortsighted, shallow, and bias opinions out of this thread, at least until you've seen the movie for yourself.
Came here to eat crow. Saw solo. I liked it alot. I also disagree with the ones that told me that crap about the movie. The new dude is no harrison ford, but who is i guess. He wasnt bad. Other than that, the Casting actually was really good.
TCTTS
AG
It takes a lot to come back and admit this. Really great to hear, and apologies for being a d*ck about it.
The Collective
AG
The lack of interest for Solo was momentum built up from TLJ + people not wanting the movie. Man, if Disney would have just given it some breathing room from VIII... they were cocky as hell about The Last Jedi. I truly believe they thought it was a great film, and that's what is most concerning moving forward. The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced that Filoni needs creative control or at least creative veto moving forward.
Cromagnum
AG
Solo was better than episode VIII (low bar I know)
veryfuller
Staff
AG
I agree it needed more breathing room. It would have made a lot of sense to push it back to Christmas 2018 (although this December is PACKED with films vying for that "Star Wars" slot now). BUT they were in a rough spot. It had gotten so much negative press during production, that pushing it back would have been viewed as another sign the movie was troubled.

I do think, going forward, it would be good for Disney & Lucasfilm to stop doing character prequels and spin-offs and just focus on story prequels and spin-offs. Rogue One was good because it was a story we were all interested in. It made use of some familiar characters, but the real push was the story. So instead of a young Han Solo to explore that time in Empire, it would be cool to see other, new characters in that time period in the universe, etc. They'd have to do a bit more marketing to get audiences excited about that, initially. But then they wouldn't have to worry about the downside, which is ruining characters for people, which ends up with A LOT of backlash (see TLJ or the prequels). If Solo was about some unknown character and made the kind of money it did, it would be viewed as a success.

In all fairness to the TLJ (and Solo does this too), it does look like they are trying to pivot away from a few crucial characters to building out the universe more so that Star Wars can continue for the long haul and not just live on Jedi mythology and the Skywalkers or tangential stories to those threads. Like that or not, if we really want a Star Wars movie every year, they are going to have to do that at some point, in my opinion.
cbr
AG
I tend to think if they put out movies as good as rogue one or even solo, people would see them as quick as they turn out. Even tfa was good, just a bit too ridiculous of a spoof of star wars itself.

Really its just how freaking shockingly miserably horrific tlj was. They should honeslt just purge the entire thing, destroy every copy and pretend it never happened.
The Collective
AG
Treat it like the holiday special?
bearamedic99
AG
start the movement, I'll sign the petition

edit to add- The Last Jedi Holiday Special
Dro07
AG
Man that looks good! Wish that would happen but made it a tv show and possibly add the comics to it for more context.
wangus12
AG
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
RIP Gary Kurtz
AliasMan02
AG

Star Wars RTS is my guess. A revival of Galactic Battlegrounds.
twilly
AG
The ILMxLab post reminded me of this. Now in Plano, TX

STAR WARS: SECRETS OF THE EMPIRE

My son and I did this the other day and I have to say it's pretty cool.
double aught
AG
I've been curious about this. Looks pretty cool, but I'm always skeptical of VR which has been the next big thing for 30 years now.
twilly
AG
double aught said:

I've been curious about this. Looks pretty cool, but I'm always skeptical of VR which has been the next big thing for 30 years now.
It is immersive. Sights, sounds, smells. You feel warmth, wind, blaster shots hitting you. You see the rest of your team in armor. Now is it 100% realism? Of course not. But seeing your kid smile from ear to ear for about 6 hours afterwards tells you it's a pretty cool experience.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Star Wars RTS is my guess. A revival of Galactic Battlegrounds.

I want to live in a world where this is true.
amercer
AG
You guys are really coming unhinged about TLJ. I liked it but I can see if people didn't like the way some characters were treated, or some of the plot points. Still evey time I check on this thread the TLJ hate goes up a notch...

"It was ok. Wish Luke had been more force unleashed"

"Canto bright was dumb, and why not just tell Poe the plan?!?!?"

"TLJ was dumb and ruined all the good stuff from TFA"

"THEY RUINED LUKE AND DISTROYED MY CHILDHOOD "

"TLJ once held me down at a high school party and tried to rip my clothes off!"

"TLJ is a mean aggressive drunk who shoved its junk in my face!"

10 years from now TLJ will be remembered as a good movie, and Star Wars will be still plugging along.
cbr
AG
Uh no. They took a movie with unlimited budget, luke freaking skywalker, princess ****ing lea, and turned out a turd that is now actually down to a 45% rating - thats like 30% WORSE than episode 1!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_last_jedi

Now that, my friend is a **** movie by any standard.

Incredibly difficult to make such a **** movie with the full power of that franchise behind it.

But it wasn't just a big budget **** movie. It killed off two of the most iconic characters in hollywood history.

In really stupid, boring, embarrasingly ridiculous useless fashion, accomplishing less than nothing.

And it was full of smarmy, dumbass *****es and other characters doing really stupid, irrational, unsuccessful things, with a real *****y, snotty attitude to boot.

We get enough of that crap in real life, why do we have to have that garbage in star wars?

No, tlj will never be remembered as anything but pure *****
Malachi Constant
AG
The movie was bad. That's it.
First Page Last Page
Page 765 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.