Star Wars Discussion Thread

5,858,357 Views | 43819 Replies | Last: 10 min ago by TCTTS
redline248
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

TLJ once held me down at a high school party and tried to rip my clothes off
CoachRTM
AG
wangus12 said:

Legitimately made me laugh out loud at work.
CoachRTM
AG
Here's my take on TLJ, then I'm dropping this conversation forever.

This thread is full of people that saw the original trilogy when it was the ONLY trilogy. Most people in that group do not like the movie because of different reasons.

I know a handful of people that either saw TFA first, then went back and watched the original trilogy, or..... they first watched the original trilogy in anticipation of TFA. All of them loved TLJ because they got to see their favorite characters (Rey, Finn, Kylo, etc) interact with Luke, and there were funny parts built in there. (think Marvel)

Obviously this is a big generalization that's not true for everyone, but I think there's a generational divide between fans that grew up with the OT, and those that only recently started becoming fans.

IMO - Rian Johnson tried to bring the OT into today's outline of a blockbuster superhero movie. Multiple concurrent storylines, battles, and (probably too many) comedic moments. Some loved it, some hated it. It is what it is - no use in trying to convince someone that your opinion is right and theirs is wrong.
Flashdiaz
AG
CoachRTM said:

Here's my take on TLJ, then I'm dropping this conversation forever.

This thread is full of people that saw the original trilogy when it was the ONLY trilogy. Most people in that group do not like the movie because of different reasons.

I know a handful of people that either saw TFA first, then went back and watched the original trilogy, or..... they first watched the original trilogy in anticipation of TFA. All of them loved TLJ because they got to see their favorite characters (Rey, Finn, Kylo, etc) interact with Luke, and there were funny parts built in there. (think Marvel)

Obviously this is a big generalization that's not true for everyone, but I think there's a generational divide between fans that grew up with the OT, and those that only recently started becoming fans.

IMO - Rian Johnson tried to bring the OT into today's outline of a blockbuster superhero movie. Multiple concurrent storylines, battles, and (probably too many) comedic moments. Some loved it, some hated it. It is what it is - no use in trying to convince someone that your opinion is right and theirs is wrong.
except it was widely criticized by all fans whereas many like the 'Marvel' approach.

For the record, I don't hate the movie and can watch it with my kids and enjoy most of it. I may get up to go take a dump during the Canto Bight scene though.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Quote:

Multiple concurrent storylines, battles
Empire did just fine with these things. Of course, that one came from a far better story-teller and filmmaker.
TCTTS
AG
redline248
AG
So, now we've retconned the ability to pull ships out of hyperspace DURING the original trilogy timeline?
Flashdiaz
AG
redline248 said:

So, now we've retconned the ability to pull ships out of hyperspace DURING the original trilogy timeline?

new technology isn't going to test itself. yet.
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

The use of interdictors during the OT was already canon.
Atreides Ornithopter
AG
AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

the PC Game Star Wars Rebellion had them in 1998, I used them to not allow retreat, ie the ships all got destroyed since they couldn't enter hyperspace and leave.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Sarduakar said:

AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

the PC Game Star Wars Rebellion had them in 1998, I used them to not allow retreat, ie the ships all got destroyed since they couldn't enter hyperspace and leave.
There (and the rebels had CC-7700 frigates that were much lighter but had gravity well generators, pg116 of the manual - and yes I played the crap out of this game one of the best ever -- I still load it up to play from time to time )

AND it was in Rebels "Stealth Strike" 4 BBY and "Zero Hour" with Thrawn.
FL_Ag1998
AG
My problem with this take (and it's not the first time someone has tried to boil the divide over TLJ down to OT-overs and non-OT-lovers), is that it's not true for many (not all but many) of the TLJ haters. I would argue that most are complaining about a boring plot, horrible dialogue, stupid decision making, and non-sensical plot twists. That has nothing to do with whether you watched the original trilogy first or not.
redline248
AG
AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

So how do they work? Prevent ships from going into hyperspace? Or sit along a hyperspace lane and wait for a ship? The 2nd method seems harder to do.
AliasMan02
AG
redline248 said:

AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

So how do they work? Prevent ships from going into hyperspace? Or sit along a hyperspace lane and wait for a ship? The 2nd method seems harder to do.

Both. They generate a gravity well that prevents ships from entering hyperspace OR it sits along hyperspace routes and pulls ships out as they pass.
jabberwalkie09
AG
redline248 said:

AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

You actually see both of those in Rebels. Rebels also hinted that there are frequented lanes of hyperspace travel that are used iirc.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Sarduakar said:

AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

In searching the wiki it looks like they first appear in 89 in the West End Pen and paper game.
AliasMan02
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

Sarduakar said:

AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

In searching the wiki it looks like they first appear in 89 in the West End Pen and paper game.
Like so many other great things that made it into canon.
Dekker_Lentz
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

Sarduakar said:

AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

I wonder if there is a cheap way to get the old source books? Never looked through them but like you said, it added a lot to the EU.
AliasMan02
AG
Dekker_Lentz said:

AliasMan02 said:

Dekker_Lentz said:

Sarduakar said:

AliasMan02 said:

redline248 said:

I wonder if there is a cheap way to get the old source books? Never looked through them but like you said, it added a lot to the EU.

Chances are good you'll stumble on them at Half Price Books, and there are sometimes lots on eBay and such. It's still the most popular Star Wars RPG, even after all these years and can be hard to find. The current license holder, FFG, has released a remastering of the core game and the Star Wars sourcebook.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-the-roleplaying-game-30th-anniversary-edition/

There is also the below fan project that updated and revised the game with tons of classic and new content. Over 500 pages!

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.d6holocron.com/downloads/books/REUP.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwjcm6imoNrdAhWOHjQIHQl0DI0QFjACegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw23qH3sCkcqUwPSqjkXgeg5

I regularly refer to the few of the books I have left when writing or doing layouts for my own RPG. The old stuff really holds up.
AliasMan02
AG
Oh, and this is fun. One of the original designers created a throwback Rogue One sourcebook (partial one, anyway) when the movie hit. It's pretty great.

https://www.erictrautmann.us/2017/02/08/i-am-one-with-the-force-the-force-is-with-me/
Render
AG
My favorite piece of EU canon is the Emperor Palpatine Surgical Reconstruction Center.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Flight booked for Celebration. All set to go!
TCTTS
AG
Urban Ag
AG
I have a number of the source books for the role playing game stuffed away some where. I never actually played, I just like reading the books. These would have been published late 80's/early 90's I think.

They worth anything is good condition?

AliasMan02
AG
Urban Ag said:

I have a number of the source books for the role playing game stuffed away some where. I never actually played, I just like reading the books. These would have been published late 80's/early 90's I think.

Yep. Quite a bit.
John Matrix
AG
TCTTS said:

I actually can't believe some on here haven't melted down to this news. It's pretty telling with the Kavanaugh hearing going on what they are preoccupied with.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, yeah, I was ready for a match to be lit with that post, but thankfully it didn't catch fire (yet).
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Where's Star Wars' "Jimbo" hire? We're stuck with Sumlin right now...

(Couldn't resist, you guys were begging for a response and seemed sad no one had noticed your posts)
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill]I prefer the red pills[/url]
bangobango
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

(Couldn't resist, you guys were begging for a response and seemed sad no one had noticed your posts)

More like Franchoine.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
God I hope we're not a Sherman and a Sumlin away from a better set of stories and plots.
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_pill_and_blue_pill]I prefer the red pills[/url]
TCTTS
AG
SpreadsheetAg said:

TCTTS
AG
"It ain't gonna be how it used to be. It's gonna be worse."
Dekker_Lentz
AG
Thanks! Pretty awesome finds.
Urban Ag
AG
AliasMan02 said:

Urban Ag said:

Yep. Quite a bit.
ok, I tell you what. If I can find them you can have them. We moved to a new house two years ago, they have to be around here somewhere. My kids just don't seem to care that much about SW outside of being casual fans. I'd rather send them somewhere they'd be appreciated.

TCTTS
AG
In all seriousness, here's Johnson latest directorial effort, a new music video (released today) for LCD Soundsystem, which is pretty damn cool. This is the kind of stuff he should be doing. Not music videos, per se, but quirky, original fare with hints of sci-fi/other distinct genres. NOT Star Wars. The guy is super talented. He has a unique voice. And I honestly can't wait for his next feature, Knives Out, with Daniel Craig. I just wish he wouldn't follow it up with Star Wars again. We'll see, though. Maybe, since it's "home grown" this time, and we won't be married to the characters, he can somehow find a way to make the next trilogy play to his strengths instead of against them...

First Page Last Page
Page 766 of 1252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.