Jerry Seinfelds Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee

61,767 Views | 577 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Zombie Jon Snow
Complete Idiot
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Mario Joyner.

George Wallace was Seinfeld's best man, he might show up on one too.
Redstone
AG
Thanks guys. Good to hear.
Jim01
AG
Apparently not just Redstone has noticed:

gawker.com/who-cares-about-diversity-in-comedy-says-jerry-seinf-1515412052

Although the article is trash. I mean come on!

quote:
BuzzFeed Business Editor Peter Lauria seemed hesitant to pursue the frank answer, but the comedian continued on anyway. "Funny is the world that I live in. You're funny, I'm interested. You're not funny, I'm not interested," he said. "I have no interest in gender or race or anything like that." He seems to suggest that any comedian who is not a white male is also not funny, though he's also likely fed up with the amount of bad comedy he's been forced to sit through in his (waning) career.

Which is too bad, because Seinfeld is downplaying the work of everyone from Richard Pryor and Bill Cosby to Aziz Ansari, Mindy Kaling, and Eddie Huang, who are all in various stages of their own sitcoms that just might turn out to be the next Seinfeld.

What outlandish writing. Jerry says the question annoys him and he doesn't factor race or sex in at all when looking for guests and then the writer puts a huge assumption in there making Jerry look bad ("He seems to suggest that any comedian who is not a white male is also not funny") and then in the same sentence basically says, well maybe Jerry isn't saying that ("though he's also likely fed up with the amount of bad comedy he's been forced to sit through in his (waning) career").

And then the writer again attacks Jerry for something he didn't even say or do ("Which is too bad, because Seinfeld is downplaying the work of everyone from...").

What a joke of an article. I mean so far he's pretty much just had his old friends and stand-up buddies on that he has known for years personally. The writer lists a dead comedian (Pryor) and then a string of young comedians that is a completely different generation than Jerry (Aziz Ansari, Mindy Kaling, and Eddie Huang).

I'm sure as the show goes on the scope might expand. But for now I like the fact that he already knows the guests going in so most of them already have a report, like two old friends sharing stories.

Outlandish writing at it's best.
watty
AG
Wow. What a terrible, terrible, agenda-driven load of crap. Jerry gives literally the most perfect answer you could give- that race and gender do not play into his opinions whatsoever- (EXACTLY what MLK was advocating), and they turn it into him being a racist white male. This is our culture. It's become a culture where if you do exactly what MLK wanted you to do in his most famous speech, you are a racist. He would be spinning in his grave if he saw what was going on in America right now.
TheDino
AG
Wow. That is a joke. Can't believe I even wasted my time reading that garbage.

To bring it back to a positive, Howard Stern today. Pretty pumped for this one.
Noblemen06
AG
First, the commentary in that article is absolute garbage.

Second, +1 (and thumbs up) for being pumped about Howard Stern's episode.
Complete Idiot
good episode with Stern
PooDoo
AG
That was good... I could watch those two guys all day.
Ulrich
Great episode with Stern.
Noblemen06
AG
Up there with the Alec Baldwin episode! Great chemistry between the two.
Redstone
AG
Race and gender don't matter? Please. When Jerry only invites a narrow demographic, absent a couple of exceptions, that matters. And it doesn't say much good about him.
Jim01
AG
Redstone, do you really think Jerry has some kind of agenda in who he has put on the show? Why is it so hard to believe that a 59 year old Jewish male might just have the vast majority of his friends be fellow white males?

I'm just asking honestly what evidence or "things" factor into your thought process that race or sex would play into any of this.

I grew up in San Antonio, so most my friends were either white or Hispanic. Then I went to Texas A&M which is (wait for it) predominantly white. Now I live in Friendswood, because it has a great school district and there are mostly white people here, but plenty of minorities as well. So if I have a dinner party with all my friends when, yes, it is probably going to be predominately white people. Does that mean someone can call me a racist? Or that someone can accuse me of NOT inviting people because they were female or a minority? That's insane. I invited my friends to my party.

Seinfeld is a multi-millionaire doing a passion project were he gets to hang out with his friends! How does that spark any conversation of sex and race?
watty
AG
quote:
Race and gender don't matter? Please. When Jerry only invites a narrow demographic, absent a couple of exceptions, that matters. And it doesn't say much good about him.

You have no idea how retarded this sounds. Just stop.
Lance Uppercut
AG
quote:
Which is too bad, because Seinfeld is downplaying the work of everyone from Richard Pryor and Bill Cosby

I think in Comedians in Cars alone, Seinfeld has mentioned that he was a big fan of Cosby and Pryor.
Worlds Foremost Ag
AG
Hanging out with Stern would be exhausting.
Redstone
AG
[That's enough. -Staff]

[This message has been edited by TexAgs staff (edited 2/9/2014 7:24a).]
hatchback
AG
quote:
Would someone please calculate what percentage of his guests have been Jewish?

Why does it matter? This is not about Jerry being politically correct and having an even balance of every race, nationality, faith, or political view as guests on his show. This show is about Jerry Seinfeld hanging out with his friends and colleagues over a cup of coffee and driving around in cool cars.
Jacques
quote:

You must have kept the channel locked on UPN back in the day, huh? How many hours a day to you watch BET?
Jacques
For anyone that thinks any of this reflects badly on Seinfeld, please post the number of Tyler Perry movies you saw last year.

And your race.
Redstone
AG
Zero.

Arab-Welsh.
Jacques
quote:

Zero.

Arab-Welsh.

Well that doesn't say much for you.

You don't think black people are funny.
TCTTS
AG
This thread is quickly approaching "Is Beyonce now officially a skank?" territory...
Noblemen06
AG
How often do we get to see a passion project that is this good?

The series really is Jerry just doing what he is interested in and the product is mostly great (only a couple of misses thus far). I hope he keeps it going for some time, staying in the same format. In an interview on the Stern show this week, it was brought up about the potential to move the series to television but Jerry was non-committal about it.

If you know anything about Seinfeld, you know he isn't interested in working on TV or movies anymore (been there, done that). Even though I could watch 30 minutes of this show every week, I'd rather he stay interested and invested in the show via the internet than watch it change due to the demands of putting on a half-hour TV talk show. For such an established guy, CICGC seems very "indie" in a good way.
Topkat
Loved the Stern episode. He needs to get out of his own head.
Kenny Powers
"I don't even know what the look is. Is it Slash, or is it Rhea Pearlman?"

[This message has been edited by Kenny Powers (edited 2/8/2014 9:58p).]
Kashchei
AG
quote:
Hanging out with Stern would be exhausting.

quote:
Loved the Stern episode. He needs to get out of his own head.

Before watching the episode I knew very little about Howard Stern except that he was a controversial shock jock, but man, he reminded me so much of myself!

"Are we having fun hanging out? I need you to tell me we are having fun." That would so be me LOL!
Jacques
Stern has matured a lot. His interviews have always been good, though. The guy can just talk. He knows how to interview and he knows what interests people.
Know Your Enemy
AG
On his recent birthday show Howard asked David Letterman if he went to Larry Bud Melman's funeral. After the interview Jimmy Kimmel, the host of the event, asked Stern why out of all things he could ask Letterman did he ask that. Howard said he didn't know, just that for some reason he was interested in the answer.

That's a little insight as to how his mind works.
Jacques
quote:
On his recent birthday show Howard asked David Letterman if he went to Larry Bud Melman's funeral. After the interview Jimmy Kimmel, the host of the event, asked Stern why out of all things he could ask Letterman did he ask that. Howard said he didn't know, just that for some reason he was interested in the answer.

That's a little insight as to how his mind works.

Okay, so now I'm curious: What did Letterman say?
Jacques
And that question, btw, is why I love Stern. Your average interview is going to be total BS. But Stern always asks questions you do not see coming and questions you do not want to answer. And they are always questions that reveal a hell of a lot about the who he's interviewing.
PooDoo
AG
Letterman didn't go to the funeral.

Know Your Enemy
AG
Dave seemed surprised by the question and tried to laugh it off until he saw that Howard was serious. He then kind of stumbled through the "WE didn't go" responses until Stern moved on. Howard & Robin laughed later about Dave using the royal "WE" when he was trying to explain why he didn't go.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Are people really complaining about a lack of diversity on an internet show?

Or is it just Redstone that started it off with his usual trolling?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
And that gawker "article" may be one of the worst articles ever written.

(FWIW, not even a huge Seinfeld fan. But I am enjoying this internet show quite a bit.)

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 2/10/2014 10:01a).]
Jacques
quote:
Dave seemed surprised by the question and tried to laugh it off until he saw that Howard was serious. He then kind of stumbled through the "WE didn't go" responses until Stern moved on. Howard & Robin laughed later about Dave using the royal "WE" when he was trying to explain why he didn't go.

Howard probably guessed he didn't. But...you just learned a lot about Dave with that.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.