per·sis·tent

91,252 Views | 410 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by hunterntexas
Decay
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
He needs a mascot. Like an eagle shielding himself from rainfall of glass shards with an iron wing. This dude weathers the storm no matter what to play again the next year.
et98
AG
I really want to go to a tourney where Kent is playing to get a picture with him while holding a TexAgs sign.

After reading through this thread, I'm pretty sure he'd be flattered by the cult hero status he's garnered here, even if we do have our share of internet tough guys making a few rude comments here and there.
PJYoung
AG
Kent finished tied for 17th which is good for $8,250 or so.

He was one of 4 players to qualify in this category: PGA TOUR Past Champs, Team Winners, Vet.Mbrs beyond 150 on Money.

Whatever that means. Incidentally this event paid the winner $121,000. Not bad.

chipotle
quote:
I'm pretty sure he'd be flattered by the cult hero status he's garnered here

righttttt
PJYoung
AG
Kent made the flight from San Paulo, Brazil and is in Midland, Tx this week where the Web.com Tour makes it's next stop for the WNB Golf Classic.
PJYoung
AG

[This message has been edited by PJYoung (edited 4/10/2013 4:13p).]
AgsMyDude
AG
worst thread ever. Take it to the golf board.
AgsMyDude
AG
quote:
AgsMyDude
AG
quote:
quote:

p1 Claire
AG
Dafuq is this thread about?
chipotle
quote:
Dafuq is this thread about?

nothing. seriously.
GarlandAg2012
AG
quote:
Kent made the flight from San Paulo, Brazil and is in Midland, Tx this week where the Web.com Tour makes it's next stop for the WNB Golf Classic.

I like this thread and I live in Midland. Should I print it out and get him to autograph it?
bmc13
AG
damn, was hoping this update said he was in the Masters.
cr06gis
AG
This thread.
CrottyKid
AG
quote:
quote:

I like this thread and I live in Midland. Should I print it out and get him to autograph it?

Yes. To be sold at Texags Tailgate.
mpezll
AG
This thread is f ing awesome
Human
AG
I have not read any part of this thread nor do I plan on doing so, with that being said...

How about some Cliff Notes.
hunterntexas
AG
For Human:
8 pages in one brief post:

Kent Jones is a mediocre (at best) player that has eked out a living by just barely qualifying or not qualifying for the PGA Tour. If they are taking 125, you can bet ole Kent will be 124 or 126. He seems to have made the most of Q school and has made several times more on the tour than the average GB poster will in their lifetime.
He didn't qualify again and is now hacking (thought his one score this year is pretty damn nice) it up on the lesser tour.

You won't find Kent at the Masters, but he will be making money playing golf somewhere again this year.
Human
AG
So the guy doesn't know when to quit?
hunterntexas
AG
He doesn't have to quit. Dude has made like $5mil playing golf for a living...
hunterntexas
AG
But instead of doing it like Tiger ($5mil/tourney), he does it $8250/tourney.
persona non grata
Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence.
Talent will not;
nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
Genius will not;
unrewarded genius is almost a proverb.
Education will not;
the world is full of educated derelicts.
Persistence and determination are omnipotent.
The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
--Calvin Coolidge
Jack Daniels
I've met Kent. His swing coach is a man that lives in Lubbock named Jesse Blackwelder. Here is an article from the Lubbock paper with a picture (that looks like it may have been taken with a potato).

http://lubbockonline.com/stories/060400/spo_060400118.shtml

[This message has been edited by Jack Daniels (edited 4/23/2013 11:33a).]
PJYoung
AG
Kent played one PGA Tour event in 2013, making the cut and earning $6,630. His career earnings are over 5.3 million.

On the web.com tour he played in 13 events, making the cut in 8 and earning $30,242, never finishing in the top 10.

He is now 47 years old so he has a little while before he is eligible for the Champions Tour.

We will wait for you Kent.

bmc13
AG
wooo
PJYoung
AG
http://www.abqjournal.com/264922/sports/jones-excited-to-tee-it-up-at-home.html

quote:
At 5-foot-8 and 135 pounds – the latter likely with a couple of clubs in hand – Jones wasn’t an imposing force in college. But his swing, smarts and savvy helped him win the Western Athletic Conference individual title and league player of the year honors in 1989.

He was a two-time All-WAC performer and two-time Academic All-American at UNM.

Still, Jones wasn’t close to being a lock for future PGA Tour status, and even he wasn’t sure that was the direction he wanted.

After getting his degree (management with a concentration on accounting) from UNM in the spring of 1990, Jones remained in school to work on his master’s. He became a graduate assistant coach for Lobo golf under John Fields.

He finished his MBA in December 1991 – and was champing at the bit to play competitively again.

“By the time I was finished with school, I had gone 6½years straight,” Jones says. “I was ready to turn pro.”

A month later, Kent and Joanna – who had been dating long-distance the previous four years while she attended New Mexico State – got married in Las Cruces.

Then Kent hit the road, playing on a number of minitours and the Canadian Tour.

“During my first year as a pro, Joanna worked and stayed in Albuquerque,” Jones says. “I traveled, but it wasn’t working out. My dad saw a story about a golfer who bought a fifth-wheel RV, and thought that was a good idea.”

So did Kent and Joanna. They bought their own RV and traveled through Canada the next three years while he cut his professional golf teeth.

But Joanna, like Kent a 1985 Carlsbad High graduate, was more than just a wife on the road.

“I caddied for him in Canada,” she says. “It really was a lot of fun. It was just the two of us and a dog traveling across Canada for three summers.”

During the winters, the couple lived in Florida, and Jones played in various state opens until he qualified for the Nike Tour in 1996.

“We got rid of the RV,” he says.

In the fall of 1997, Jones made it through PGA Tour Qualifying School to golf’s greatest stage. He and Joanna moved to an apartment in Las Cruces, and Jones flew to events out of El Paso. He made 24 cuts over the 1998 and 1999 seasons, but didn’t finish high enough on the money list and lost his PGA Tour status for 2000.

Kent and Joanna moved to Albuquerque that year and Jones had a great season on the Buy.com Tour (formerly Nike), finishing seventh on the year’s money list. The top 15 got PGA Tour status, so Jones was back with the big boys in 2001.

While he has had an extremely successful career, Jones has had to play in Q-School “about a dozen times” to try to get on or hang on the PGA Tour.

“He’s just a grinder,” says Ladera Golf Course head pro Wright Zimmerly, a close friend for more than 20 years who has worked as Jones’ caddie in numerous PGA events. Zimmerly will caddie for Jones this week.

“His degree in accounting is perfect for him,” Zimmerly says. “He is very analytical on the golf course. He hits a lot of fairways and a lot of greens. His longevity shows how good he is. He’s really the ultimate grinder.”

In golf, a grinder is a guy who isn’t dominating, but who just won’t quit battling. Fitting?

“I don’t know, I guess it’s probably accurate,” Jones says after pausing. “It’s just sort of the way it’s been. I’ve played quite a bit, and I grind it out. I work hard. I’ve never had the (PGA Tour) win or been super comfortable with my (tour status). But I just keep going.”

quote:
Jones had a solid season in 2011, making the cut in 15 of the 25 PGA Tour events he played, finishing as high as 11th. But he missed the tour’s top 125 money winners, which meant he missed getting his tour card. It was back to Q-School, where Jones finished 30th and missed making the PGA Tour by one shot.

Because of having “veteran’s status” (having made more than 150 career cuts), Jones still gets into a number of PGA Tour events. He played in seven in 2012 and one in 2013′s shortened season.

But the PGA Tour changed its qualifying this year, and players can get back on it only by finishing in the top 25 of the Web.com Tour. The 2014 season begins in October.

“I’m a little in flux right now, because I don’t know how many events I’ll be able to get in on either tour,” Jones says. “No one is really sure how it’s going to go with the changes.

“To get back on tour, you have to commit to the Web.com Tour for a year to play your way back on. I’m just trying to figure out how much to play before the Champions Tour (ages 50 and over), which is 3½ years away.”

In the meantime, Jones hones his game at the same place he did in college – the UNM Championship Golf Course.

“It’s awesome that he practices out here,” Lobo men’s golf coach Glen Millican says. “He is one of the best supporters of our team as a fan, an alum and donor. It’s great for our program to share our home facility with him and have him involved in program like he is.”

Hands-on dad

While Jones has spent much of his professional career on the road, home is never far from his heart.

“It’s really, really nice when he’s at home,” Joanna says, sitting on a couch in their 4,000-square-foot Northwest Albuquerque house with two of the family’s four pooches jumping on her lap.

“He is such a hands-on dad. He comes in and picks right up in the routine. I get very spoiled when he’s home. He takes Samuel to whatever he needs to do – Little League baseball, golf, everything. We all get spoiled when he’s around.”

Jones not only makes as many of his kids’ events as possible – daughter Lauren is a cross-country runner and cheerleader – but can be found keeping the official score book at Samuel’s fall Little League games and raking the field prior to contests.

“I enjoy it a lot,” he says of being a family man. “Through all the ups and downs of golf, the thing I like best is that every time I come home, these guys are here.”

He and Joanna have spent more than a quarter-century together, and have known each other even longer. They were high school sweethearts after all, right?

“No,” Joanna says with a smile.

“No, no,” Kent quickly adds.

“We were friends, but I didn’t date golfers in high school,” Joanna – a cheerleader and Carlsbad’s homecoming queen – says with a laugh. “We didn’t start dating until a couple of years out of high school.”

Kent, valedictorian of his class, adds: “We weren’t in the same social circles. I wasn’t nearly cool enough in high school.”

While Jones is still the soft-spoken gentleman he’s been since high school, there are a lot of folks out there who think he’s plenty cool.

“He’s just a great role model,” Millican says.

Samuel and Lauren agree. But having a famous father doesn’t phase them.

“My friends at school, they know that my dad’s a professional golfer,” Lauren, a seventh-grader at Annunciation, says. “But really, they are more impressed that my mom is a cheerleader.”

Samuel, a fifth-grader at Annunciation, says his friends, too, know about his dad’s craft, and “I watch him on TV from time to time.”

But Samuel says the topic doesn’t come up much at school.

Or at home, for that matter.

“My friends know he’s famous, but we don’t talk about it a lot,” Samuel says. “And to me, he’s just Dad.”
Chips2003
AG
PJ... No one cares about golf. It's not even a sport.

HTH
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
quote:
PJ... No one cares about golf. It's not even a sport.

HTH

Yeah, 8 pages and multiple years of not caring.
bagger05
AG
What an awesome thread.
Gator2_01
AG
Great thread, I skim it every time it is bumped, but

quote:
“My friends know he’s famous, but we don’t talk about it a lot,” Samuel says. “And to me, he’s just Dad.”

He's famous like middle of the pack chess players are famous.
Ol Jock 99
AG
quote:

I am be mistaken, but I believe this thread was started BEFORE there was a golf board.
True Anomaly
AG
I know there was an "other sports" thread back then as well to contain the fake crap like golf, foxy boxing and the Lingerie League
FOUR THIN INCHES
AG
I can't wait until this guy's in contention on the last day of the U.S. Open.
PJYoung
AG
We have an update:

quote:
Kent Jones crafted a bogey-free, 3-under-par 32-35=67 in the open qualifier for the FedEx St. Jude Classic, but came up one stroke too many to force a playoff for a berth into the tournament proper.

Jones started on the 10th hole at Windyke Country Club's East Course in Memphis and circled all three of his birdies by No. 15.

The Veteran Member hasn't competed on the PGA TOUR since his only start in 2013 (T58, Sanderson Farms). In fact, he hasn't played in a TOUR-sanctioned event since the regular-season finale on the Web.com Tour last August.
bmc13

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.