per·sis·tent

91,256 Views | 410 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by hunterntexas
PJYoung
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
By John Maginnes, PGATOUR.COM Contributor
Over the next three weeks, the first stage of the PGA TOUR National Qualifying Tournament will play out at 13 different sites across the country. For most of the more than 1,000 players who wrote the big check -- enough to buy a decent used car -- their entire q-school experience will last four short days. Those who are successful, though, are just getting started.

At each site there will be roughly 70 to 80 players vying for 18 to 22 spots at the second stage. The format is simple enough. Everyone plays 72 holes of medal play with about 20 percent advancing to the next round in mid-November. A successful trip through the first stage is just a step in the right direction, though. Making it to the second stage doesn't give you anything more than another chance.

If there is an "easier" stage of q-school it is the first. Established players have probably done something in their careers that has exempted them through stage one. Consequently the first stage is filled with players who either are just starting out or who spent the year playing on one of the many mini-tours throughout the country. Regardless of experience, the failure to make it through the first stage should certainly come with some reflection about one's chosen path. Failure to make it through the first stage invariably invokes the professional golfer's most hated word -- job.

As you might imagine, nerves are high at the first stage. Dreams are on the line. And unlike at most other tournaments you don't have to win to advance. Qualifying school is pass-fail, not winner-take-all. But if you do advance, where you finish does have some impact on your immediate future. There are a large number of players exempt through the first stage, so you may not get your first choice of sites for the second. In other words, if you live in Texas and barely advance you may end up playing in Florida or California rather than your first choice in the Lone Star State; it all depends on the preference of the players whose priority is ahead of yours.

But that is a happy problem and one to be considered after the fact. Each player is responsible for his own travel expenses so every stage is a financial investment beyond the entry fee. But it is the emotional toll that far exceeds the monetary commitment. Most of the players in the first stage have either been there before and failed to advance or have never played in q-school before and don't know what to expect. There are no tricks at q-school -- it is just golf, pure and simple, on pretty good courses. If you happen to have chosen one with which you are familiar all the better for you.

What is different about q-school is the finality of it all. If you finish 15th you advance. If you finish 25th not only is your year over before it even starts so are your hopes and possibly your dreams. There are many talented players who have tried and failed. Players who were good enough -- who are good enough -- to be successful on the PGA TOUR who will never get the chance. Former British Open champion David Duval never made it through q-school. He went in 2003 and again last year but has secured his card for 2011.

Other players, some would say lesser ones by comparison, rise to the occasion of q-school. Some may equate that success to mental toughness and they wouldn't be completely wrong. But for those who were -- or who are -- good at q-school it isn't as much about being tougher than the others as it is about the ability to compartmentalize the pressure. To be successful at q-school you have to be able to put aside the finality and just play golf for those four days. Easier said than done, though, and as you advance the stakes go up exponentially.

If there is one thing, an intangible, that separates those who advance and those who don't it is simple self-confidence. You have to believe that you belong in the next stage or the finals or on the PGA TOUR. Good players who have been playing well have failed in every stage without that belief. Players who have been struggling have been able to turn it around at q-school because they believe that they belong. Belief isn't something that a teacher, sports psychologist, girlfriend or mother or father can instill. It comes from within.

No one can do it for you at q-school. Q-school is the loneliest tournament of the year. Your phone stops ringing. Your friends aren't texting you. It is you, your caddie and the golf course for four days. But if it was easy, everyone would do it.

Kent Jones has made it through the 1st round of 6 at the final stage of Q-School in 16th place. If he can hold that position through Monday he'll be a full fledged member of the PGA Tour again - a status he hasn't enjoyed since 2009.
PJYoung
AG
http://www.pgatour.com/qschool/leaderboard/

Looking good for our man.
PJYoung
AG
Kent Jones successfully got his card back in his 10th trip to Q-School. He's now 6 for 10.

He bogied 3 of the last 4 holes to make it interesting but made the cut by 2 strokes.
Mooch98
jm94
AG
quote:
Failure to make it through the first stage invariably invokes the professional golfer's most hated word -- job.
wurmhole
AG
Still chuggin' along, though most profiles I could find of him had nothing from this year.

[This message has been edited by wurmhole (edited 6/8/2011 1:14a).]
GeauxAggies
AG
Great thread. Pulling for the guy!
PJYoung
AG
Weird, I just pulled this thread up today.

Our mid-season update has Kent in 149th on the money list. Pretty much dead in the middle of his usual range.

PJYoung
AG

Cut 3 straight times.

Not looking good.

He is now 159th on the money list, about $300,000 out of 125th with only a handful of events left.

He will need a couple of top 5s here at the end to stay out of Q-school. This all seems very familiar...

[This message has been edited by pjyoung (edited 12/2/2011 5:35a).]
bmc13
AG
quote:
Three straight cuts for Kent.

you might reverse how you said that or something, because that usually means good.
ccard257
AG
Holy ***** Just found this thread for the first time and read it all the way through. Thanks for the afternoon entertainment.
PJYoung
AG
A T46th $12k cash and then a weekend off. Looking like yet another trip to Q-school is a foregone conclusion.

Kent finished 2011 making 14 cuts in 25 events played for total earnings of $360,624.

[This message has been edited by PJYoung (edited 12/2/2011 5:23p).]
hunterntexas
AG
He should be sponsored by Sesame Street 'cause he is brought to you by the letter Q.
PJYoung
AG
Kent is back where he belongs this week among 173 players in the Final Stage of Q-school.

They will play 6 rounds and the top 25 players plus ties will get their precious PGA Tour card.

Today Kent is finishing up his 2nd round tied for 22nd.

http://www.pgatour.com/2011/qschool/12/01/breaking-down-the-field/index.html

BROADCAST TIMESSa 3:00 - 6:00 p ET GOLF
Su 3:00 - 6:00 p ET GOLF
Mo 3:30 - 7:00 p ET GOLF
terradactylexpress
txagfred04
Some one remind me who this guy is and why we care. TIA
Kentucky Mustangs
This dude is just awesome!

They need to make a movie, but jaded kids would not get it.
Poptartin
tied for 22nd.... right where he needs to be to pull out a successful top 25!

crossing my fingers for him.
Running with the Bulls
Great thread! Kent is nails!
bmc13
AG
quote:
They need to make a movie,

hopefully he comes up with a good ending sometime and wins a PGA tourney.
PJYoung
AG
That kind of crazy talk will have to wait for the senior tour.
bmc13
AG
PJ
rononeill
i just found this and declare it to be an excellent thread. that is all.
PJYoung
AG
Kent missed getting his card by two strokes as he finished tied for 30th. His 4th round 76 did him in.
Poptartin
bmc13
Hagen95
AG
Poor Kent.
Sit Down Rando
AG
quote:
Thank you for submitting your vote to TexAgs.com

Currently, your vote is the 3 vote in support of this message. There are also 1 votes objecting to this message.

This has "made for TV movie" written all over it. Awesome!
Kentucky Mustangs
Who was the p*n*s wrinkle who objected to this post?
EVA3
AG
I didn't read the whole thread but I would like to know more about this "Hooters Tour." Can you tell me more or should I contact my travel agent? Thanks in advance.
USMC1995
tl;dr. Cliff's Notes please.
hunterntexas
AG
Cliff Notes:

Golfer has made a living being a stroke better or worse than the cut.
He qualifies in Q school as #125 when they are taking the top 125. Every year.
He makes a decent living, but not Tiger money.

Really is an interesting read from start to finish.
USMC1995
Well now I have no reason to read it. Thanks for ruining it for me.
hunterntexas
AG
Well, I didn't tell you whether or not he makes it this year. That is on page 6, but don't skip ahead.
USMC1995
Now the suspense is killing me, but I need to get some sleep. Thanks for keeping me up past my bedtime and making me perform less than stellar when I am conducting commerce tomorrow.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.