Professional Marching Band season starts Thursday night!

15,277 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr. Peterman
Wildman15
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wbt5845 said:

MooreTrucker said:

wbt5845 said:

I don't care what these morons say. I just wanted them to know why I sit and yawn when the FTAB takes the field. After a summer of watching DCI, the FTAB is laughably bad.
The mistake you're making is comparing the two. They are COMPLETELY different entities with COMPLETELY different styles and purposes. You think the FTAB is bad, I think the DCI style is stupid, formless wandering.

To each his own.
The difference is I've done both, so my statements carry a lot more weight than yours.

Of course, you also keep saying DCI is "stupid, formless wandering", which only proves you are clueless regarding the topic.

Actually, it's an opinion, not a statement. And since I did both as well (DCI style in high school, then FTAB), I believe that the FTAB was a much more difficult and better experience. However, they aren't in the same category.
PrincessButtercup
AG
This is my favorite thread.
End Of Message
AG
Post a pic to make it even better
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
PrincessButtercup
AG
Pinche Abogado said:

Post a pic to make it even better

Im not young enough for wbt.
End Of Message
PatAg
AG
Kramer said:

Builder93 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Builder93 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Builder93 said:

II will back up wbt on this. DCI is pretty amazing live. Watching it on video doesn't do the volume justice. Imagine the Aggie band volume doubled using half the number of musicians. It does seem to have gone off the deep end with the arty-farty stuff, though.

I took my wife to it years ago. She went to appease me and by the end she couldn't wait to go again the next year.
Imagine the Aggie Band if it were all male again, all brass, carried horns optimized for sound with the bells all pointed forward, marched the entire show sideways with their horns pointed at the crowd, and did nothing but band 24/7.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I'll add, imagine if the Aggie band were all music majors and could play impeccably in tune.
Really? Tell me what I said that was wrong.

Please note I'm talking about the level of the sound.

Back from real life to respond. Have you ever stood directly in front of the Aggie band? Still not near the volume or impact of a DCI Corp. That volume can be attained through the same instruments.

So you're saying the Aggie Band simply chooses not to play at that volume?
He's saying the majority of the kids in the Aggie Band aren't very good musicians, whereas in DCI they are all very talented.
CanyonAg77
AG
PatAg said:

Kramer said:

Builder93 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Builder93 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Builder93 said:

II will back up wbt on this. DCI is pretty amazing live. Watching it on video doesn't do the volume justice. Imagine the Aggie band volume doubled using half the number of musicians. It does seem to have gone off the deep end with the arty-farty stuff, though.

I took my wife to it years ago. She went to appease me and by the end she couldn't wait to go again the next year.
Imagine the Aggie Band if it were all male again, all brass, carried horns optimized for sound with the bells all pointed forward, marched the entire show sideways with their horns pointed at the crowd, and did nothing but band 24/7.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I'll add, imagine if the Aggie band were all music majors and could play impeccably in tune.

Back from real life to respond. Have you ever stood directly in front of the Aggie band? Still not near the volume or impact of a DCI Corp. That volume can be attained through the same instruments.

He's saying the majority of the kids in the Aggie Band aren't very good musicians, whereas in DCI they are all very talented.
What, you're saying that corporate-sponsored professional musicians playing full time are more talented than 300 volunteers who have to juggle school / work / Corps?

Say it ain't so!

And the DCI geeks crack me up trying to claim volume = skill.
Wildman15
AG
PatAg said:

Kramer said:

Builder93 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Builder93 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Builder93 said:

I wouldn't say the Aggie Band doesn't have good musicians, we just put more focus on the marching aspect than the music aspect. We memorize a new set of music and drills every week. And it's obvious we're known for our marching precision and not our musical sound.

Also, most members of the Aggie band decided to major in a field that would actually offer a well paying job after school
tk for tu juan
PrincessButtercup said:

javajaws
AG
tk for tu juan said:

PrincessButtercup said:

I bet that guy blows!

I mean he blows a trumpet!

wbt5845
AG
javajaws said:

tk for tu juan said:

PrincessButtercup said:

I bet that guy blows!

We met his fiance last summer flying from D/FW to Indianapolis for DCI Finals and trust me he's tagging 100X hotter tail than you can even dream of.
wbt5845
AG
Wildman15 said:

PatAg said:

Kramer said:

Builder93 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Builder93 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Builder93 said:

I wouldn't say the Aggie Band doesn't have good musicians, we just put more focus on the marching aspect than the music aspect. We memorize a new set of music and drills every week. And it's obvious we're known for our marching precision and not our musical sound.

Also, most members of the Aggie band decided to major in a field that would actually offer a well paying job after school
I would. And I'm a former Aggie Bandsman to boot.
Geralt of Rivia
S
wbt5845 said:

javajaws said:

tk for tu juan said:

PrincessButtercup said:

I bet that guy blows!

We met his fiance last summer flying from D/FW to Indianapolis for DCI Finals and trust me he's tagging 100X hotter tail than you can even dream of.

How much hotter is his fiance than your wife
Wildman15
AG
Well then maybe back your day that was the case. But it certainly isn't now
Mr. Peterman
wbt5845 said:

javajaws said:

tk for tu juan said:

PrincessButtercup said:

I bet that guy blows!

Did you share your fantasies of him with her?
wbt5845
AG
Wade Winston Wilson said:

wbt5845 said:

javajaws said:

tk for tu juan said:

PrincessButtercup said:

I bet that guy blows!

How much hotter is his fiance than your wife
A lot but I'm ugly as sin.
80s Guy
jetch17
AG
lol GAF
Kramer
AG
Still no answer from wbt on why DCI is louder than FTAB.
"The only happy Aggie is an unhappy Aggie." Shelby Metcalf
PrincessButtercup
AG
javajaws said:

tk for tu juan said:

PrincessButtercup said:

I bet that guy blows!

w

But he looks small.
ac04
Quote:

just when i think there can't possibly be anything deuschier posted in this thread, wbt manages to top it
oldschool87
AG
AccidentProne said:

wbt5845 said:

Cannot wait for the best marching bands in the world to show their stuff Thursday night in theaters across the country! DCI is BACK!

If you've never seen the best bands in the world, check out the world champs from last year, the Bluecoats from Canton, OH. I was there in Indianapolis screaming my lungs out!

OP?

I had to...

Builder93
AG
Wildman15 said:

PatAg said:

Kramer said:

Builder93 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Builder93 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Builder93 said:

The musicians in DCI are typically music majors that could perform what the Aggie Band does but at a higher musical level week in and week out. That's no knock on the FTAB, it's just a fact. Everyone chooses their own path and that's OK. DCI and military are different styles of marching but if you put a DCI corp on the field doing the same show as the Aggie band, it would probably look more precise and it would sound better. Why? Because they are very skilled musicians and the marching they do in these shows requires much more concentration because it changes so rapidly. My high school band used to do an Aggie band type show at the beginning of the year as a warm up.

The tuning in a DCI corp is very good which leads to an amplification in volume, plus their breathing skills are far better, which lends to increased volume.
OverR
AG
My cousin was a Blue coat til he aged out. Then one of the assistant directors for years.

I'll agree they can be pretty cool to watch. Talented bunch of musicians generally.

Anyways "Bbbblllluueeeee........"
AgEng06
AG
Holy **** this fuggin thread.
End Of Message
AG
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
cav14
So.... anybody going to be there this Saturday at the Alamodome?

http://www.alamodome.com/events/detail/dci-southwestern-championship
AgOutsideAustin
AG
cav14 said:

I was really hoping to make it because these DCI bands are great musicians and really good performers. I was torn but decided instead to go see Earth Wind n Fire and Chic at the AT&T Center. Hope I made the right decision.
wbt5845
AG
cav14 said:

Wouldn't miss it!
Kramer
AG
Last one I went to, tickets were just ridiculous. What are they going for?
wbt5845
AG
Sold out. Resale tickets at back of top deck are starting at $85.
Gmzb2001
AG
That doesn't look sold out to me.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/drum-corps-international-san-antonio-texas-07-22-2017/event/3A00524A8A392AA9?artistid=1671018&majorcatid=10005&minorcatid=0#efeat4212
Claude!
Gmzb2001 said:

That doesn't look sold out to me.

https://www1.ticketmaster.com/drum-corps-international-san-antonio-texas-07-22-2017/event/3A00524A8A392AA9?artistid=1671018&majorcatid=10005&minorcatid=0#efeat4212
Well, to be fair, they were asking for $10 AND two canned goods.
80s Guy
Quote:

I was really hoping to make it because these DCI bands are great musicians and really good performers. I was torn but decided instead to go see Earth Wind n Fire and Chic at the AT&T Center. Hope I made the right decision
Were you singing this while you clicked the Ticketmaster link?

Torn between two lovers, feeling like a fool

Loving both of you is breaking all the rules
AgOutsideAustin
AG
Nah just hope the Earth Wind n Fire dudes blowing on their trumpets don't wink at me, that would be ghey. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.