Professional Marching Band season starts Thursday night!

15,293 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr. Peterman
$240 Worth of Pudding
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
AMW2010
AG

I miss when they used to show DCI Shows on thanksgiving, and espn.
tk for tu juan
javajaws said:

I marched with the Troopers in '88. People don't really understand how hard those guys work during the course of a summer season.

Eliminatus
AG
Bluecoats kick all the ass.

I was a snare nerd growing up. I even turned down a scholarship to FSU for it. One of the biggest "what-ifs" I play with myself. taking that route straight out of HS instead of the one I ended up on. I kick myself sometimes.

DCI is awesome. No worries OP, there are a few of us ex marching nerds out there.
wbt5845
AG
I don't care what these morons say. I just wanted them to know why I sit and yawn when the FTAB takes the field. After a summer of watching DCI, the FTAB is laughably bad.
End Of Message
Ol_Ag_02
AG
Wade Winston Wilson said:

After this thread, wbt has no room to ever make fun of any other person's interests or hobbies

I owe you an apology. I originally thought I read your name is the OP and lost all amount of respect for you. Now I realize I was wrong; however, wbpre-teen as the OP makes perfect sense.
MooreTrucker
AG
wbt5845 said:

I don't care what these morons say. I just wanted them to know why I sit and yawn when the FTAB takes the field. After a summer of watching DCI, the FTAB is laughably bad.
The mistake you're making is comparing the two. They are COMPLETELY different entities with COMPLETELY different styles and purposes. You think the FTAB is bad, I think the DCI style is stupid, formless wandering.

To each his own.
Geralt of Rivia
S
Ol_Ag_02 said:

Wade Winston Wilson said:

After this thread, wbt has no room to ever make fun of any other person's interests or hobbies

I owe you an apology. I originally thought I read your name is the OP and lost all amount of respect for you. Now I realize I was wrong; however, wbpre-teen as the OP makes perfect sense.
It's all good

wbt5845
AG
MooreTrucker said:

wbt5845 said:

The mistake you're making is comparing the two. They are COMPLETELY different entities with COMPLETELY different styles and purposes. You think the FTAB is bad, I think the DCI style is stupid, formless wandering.

To each his own.
The difference is I've done both, so my statements carry a lot more weight than yours.

Of course, you also keep saying DCI is "stupid, formless wandering", which only proves you are clueless regarding the topic.

Geralt of Rivia
S
wbt5845
AG
javajaws said:

I marched with the Troopers in '88. People don't really understand how hard those guys work during the course of a summer season.
That's awesome. Great corps back in the day. Their new unis are pretty sharp.

80s Guy
wbt5845 said:

MooreTrucker said:

wbt5845 said:

To each his own.
The difference is I've done both, so my statements carry a lot more weight than yours.

Of course, you also keep saying DCI is "stupid, formless wandering", which only proves you are clueless regarding the topic.

Oh look boys and girls, the rarely attempted and even more rarely properly executed Scimitard response!
Beer Baron
AG
"I didn't think they were gonna play 'Stars and Stripes Forever,' and then BAM! Second Encore!"
MooreTrucker
AG
So you're a bigger band nerd than I am. Congratulations.
Bob Loblaws Law Blog
AG
wbt5845 said:

I don't care what these morons say. I just wanted them to know why I sit and yawn when the FTAB takes the field.

Weird. I figured most people yawn because they're at a football game and are forced to watch a bunch of nerds parade around for 10 minutes.
Kramer
AG
I was a band director. And was in the Aggie band. So my degree and experience trumps yours.

The difference is practice time - 126 hrs vs 8 hrs.

And the fact that the Aggie Band's drill and music change and DCI does the same thing all summer.

So by the end of the summer season, the disparity is more like 2500 hrs vs 8 hrs.

That's why comparisons are pointless.
"The only happy Aggie is an unhappy Aggie." Shelby Metcalf
frorge
AG
I marched Cavaliers '07. SPLOOIE
Frederick Palowaski
AG
wbt5845 said:

MooreTrucker said:

wbt5845 said:

To each his own.

What a ***
wbt5845
AG
frorge said:

I marched Cavaliers '07. SPLOOIE

Still the only all make corps. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

BTW - Cavs made a big comeback last year. They were excellent and right there with SCV knocking on the door of the top 3.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Madison no longer all male?
wbt5845
AG
Maximus_Meridius said:

Madison no longer all male?

My bad - Cavs and Scouts.
Doctor Rosenrosen
AG
To those of you that love to rag on band dorks, I submit the USMC drum and bugle corps. The commandant's own, perhaps you've heard of them:

This is more DCI than anything resembling the Aggie Band.
AgOutsideAustin
AG
There's an actual "season" for this?
PatAg
AG
You're right, that sounds a lot cooler and not gay at all
PatAg
AG
Not that there's anything wrong with that
MooreTrucker
AG
Doctor Rosenrosen said:

To those of you that love to rag on band dorks, I submit the USMC drum and bugle corps. The commandant's own, perhaps you've heard of them:

This is more DCI than anything resembling the Aggie Band.

That looks a lot like Tceh's band. And to me, looks very little like the stuff in the OP video.

Again, comparison to the FTAB is invalid. Two different styles.
cadetjay02
AG
I'm embarrassed for the Marines, they have now joined the ranks of the Air Force Academy show choir.
Ag03 CQE
AG
Eliminatus said:

I play with myself.
Tailgate88
AG
DCI is awesome. Congrats OP, your kiddo make Bloo again this year? Looking forward to the Houston show on July 21.
wbt5845
AG
Tailgate88 said:

DCI is awesome. Congrats OP, your kiddo make Bloo again this year? Looking forward to the Houston show on July 21.

He was selected to compete at an international tuba symposium this summer, so he had to decline a shot at another ring. He also had Crown cold call him and offer a contract - he had to decline them as well. So I get to here him practice 12 hours a day all summer instead.
Tailgate88
AG
wbt5845 said:

Tailgate88 said:

He was selected to compete at an international tuba symposium this summer, so he had to decline a shot at another ring. He also had Crown cold call him and offer a contract - he had to decline them as well. So I get to here him practice 12 hours a day all summer instead.
That is quite an honor, but I guess after winning last year it was an easier decision. Where are you located? Bloo will be rehearsing and staying the night prior at Bryan High on the 21st.
Claude!
Am I the only one who thought this said Professional Mariachi Bands?
Funky Winkerbean
AG
My son is on a mission to get in the snare line next year. Yee haw.
MooreTrucker
AG
Claude! said:

Am I the only one who thought this said Professional Mariachi Bands?
Guadalajara, Guadalajara, Guadalajaaaaarrraaaaaa

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.