Professional Marching Band season starts Thursday night!

15,295 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr. Peterman
12thAngryMan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
wbt5845 said:

aggie7911 said:

Of course and aggie dorks hang around at half to see the same routine week after week...I am amazed why some ags are in awe of the aggie band bunch of fat dorks running around.

Best thing about the FTAB is they make it easy for me to get to the concession stand at halftime at Kyle Field. Always have a good 10-minute window open to get whatever I want.
Why can't you appreciate both military and corps style marching for what they are?
MooreTrucker
AG
12thAngryMan said:

wbt5845 said:

aggie7911 said:

Of course and aggie dorks hang around at half to see the same routine week after week...I am amazed why some ags are in awe of the aggie band bunch of fat dorks running around.

Best thing about the FTAB is they make it easy for me to get to the concession stand at halftime at Kyle Field. Always have a good 10-minute window open to get whatever I want.
Why can't you appreciate both military and corps style marching for what they are?
The point I've been trying to make the entire thread. Two very different things.
Dr. Faustus
AG
12thAngryMan said:

wbt5845 said:

aggie7911 said:

The girls aren't young enough in the FTAB for wbt.
Geralt of Rivia
S
wbt5845 said:

BLOO crushed it last night - won the Season Premiere event by 1.3 points, which is a solid win in these things.
How many touchdowns did they score?
FriscoKid
AG
TV schedule?
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
wbt5845 said:

drilling in the midday heat
I presume that since it is coed and they are all crammed together for the summer that there is a significant amount of drilling going on in the evening, no?
Mr. Peterman
wbt5845 said:

aggie7911 said:

I bet you touch yourself when the other school brings their band.
CanyonAg77
AG
wbt5845 said:

aggie7911 said:

Best thing about the FTAB is the reaction to them reveals who the whiny little losers are.
tk for tu juan
No need for the rest of the season, the winner is...
Builder93
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Builder93 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Builder93 said:

II will back up wbt on this. DCI is pretty amazing live. Watching it on video doesn't do the volume justice. Imagine the Aggie band volume doubled using half the number of musicians. It does seem to have gone off the deep end with the arty-farty stuff, though.

I took my wife to it years ago. She went to appease me and by the end she couldn't wait to go again the next year.
Imagine the Aggie Band if it were all male again, all brass, carried horns optimized for sound with the bells all pointed forward, marched the entire show sideways with their horns pointed at the crowd, and did nothing but band 24/7.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I'll add, imagine if the Aggie band were all music majors and could play impeccably in tune.
Really? Tell me what I said that was wrong.

Please note I'm talking about the level of the sound.

Back from real life to respond. Have you ever stood directly in front of the Aggie band? Still not near the volume or impact of a DCI Corp. That volume can be attained through the same instruments.

Kramer
AG
Builder93 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Builder93 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Builder93 said:

II will back up wbt on this. DCI is pretty amazing live. Watching it on video doesn't do the volume justice. Imagine the Aggie band volume doubled using half the number of musicians. It does seem to have gone off the deep end with the arty-farty stuff, though.

I took my wife to it years ago. She went to appease me and by the end she couldn't wait to go again the next year.
Imagine the Aggie Band if it were all male again, all brass, carried horns optimized for sound with the bells all pointed forward, marched the entire show sideways with their horns pointed at the crowd, and did nothing but band 24/7.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I'll add, imagine if the Aggie band were all music majors and could play impeccably in tune.
Really? Tell me what I said that was wrong.

Please note I'm talking about the level of the sound.

Back from real life to respond. Have you ever stood directly in front of the Aggie band? Still not near the volume or impact of a DCI Corp. That volume can be attained through the same instruments.

So you're saying the Aggie Band simply chooses not to play at that volume?
"The only happy Aggie is an unhappy Aggie." Shelby Metcalf
CanyonAg77
AG
I have no idea what he's trying to say. I've stood in front, behind, and in the middle of the Aggie Band. It's loud. Could it be louder if it were all male, all the bells on the horns pointed forward, and there were no wood winds. And if the BQs had not done midnight yell the night before, played for an hour long march in, played in the stands before and after, etc etc etc

How "being in tune" magically makes things louder, I don't know.

From Wiki:
Quote:

The exclusive use of bell-front brass instrumentation is a defining musical element of drum corps.
wbt5845
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

I have no idea what he's trying to say. I've stood in front, behind, and in the middle of the Aggie Band. It's loud. Could it be louder if it were all male, all the bells on the horns pointed forward, and there were no wood winds. And if the BQs had not done midnight yell the night before, played for an hour long march in, played in the stands before and after, etc etc etc

From Wiki:
Quote:

The exclusive use of bell-front brass instrumentation is a defining musical element of drum corps.

The 120 brass players in a typical DCI corps are 5X louder than the 300+ in the FTAB - and in tune to boot. And do it all while running full out and doing a routine that's 5X harder.

It's not a different "style" - it's a different plane.
CanyonAg77
AG
Five times? Impressive. Perhaps you should tell an audio engineer about this. Then he can explain to you how some horns are optimized for sound. How pointing a horn at someone sounds louder than pointing it 90 degrees away. How an empty stadium sounds louder than a full one How people standing still wailing on stationary percussion on the sideline is loud.

Most of all, maybe he can explain those odd little things on the sidelines known as "microphones" and "amplifiers".

And you might want to modify your claim that they are loud when running and that they run all the time. Lots of standing in the videos. Lots of resting while percussion does solos
80s Guy
CanyonAg77
AG
Oink.
80s Guy
CanyonAg77 said:

Oink.

That wasn't how I meant it, but if the pork belly fits....
CanyonAg77
AG
I know, I'm just having fun with the guy. DCI is fun in ways. But it's like NASCAR or Opera to me. Takes skill. Takes talent. Takes two minutes and I'm changing the channel.

But the acolytes aren't happy until they crush all the false religions and convert you.
Geralt of Rivia
S
CanyonAg77 said:

But the acolytes aren't happy until they crush all the false religions and convert you.

80s Guy
Wade Winston Wilson said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Kramer
AG
wbt5845 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

From Wiki:
Quote:

The 120 brass players in a typical DCI corps are 5X louder than the 300+ in the FTAB - and in tune to boot. And do it all while running full out and doing a routine that's 5X harder.

Ok. Assuming you are correct, why? Why are 120 louder than 350?
"The only happy Aggie is an unhappy Aggie." Shelby Metcalf
Geralt of Rivia
S
I almost used that one
Doctor Rosenrosen
AG
wbt5845 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

From Wiki:
Quote:

DCI horn lines top out at about 80, which I guess only furthers your point.
CanyonAg77
AG
How many amps do they top out at?
wbt5845
AG
Doctor Rosenrosen said:

wbt5845 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

From Wiki:
Quote:

DCI horn lines top out at about 80, which I guess only furthers your point.

I know the corps has 150 members total. With Guard and Percussion, you're probably right that there's only 80 horns.

And the amplification is only on soloists.
CanyonAg77
AG
No, the amplification is not just on soloists. Link below to a 10 page DCI nerd parent thread, arguing over the over-amplification of the percussion, the soloists,the drum line, and most of all, a synthesized bass line, known in the community as "thunderous goo".

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/164963-too-many-amplifiers/

Doctor Rosenrosen
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

No, the amplification is not just on soloists. Link below to a 10 page DCI nerd parent thread, arguing over the over-amplification of the percussion, the soloists,the drum line, and most of all, a synthesized bass line, known I the community as "thunderous goo".

Don't forget the sampling.
wbt5845
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

No, the amplification is not just on soloists. Link below to a 10 page DCI nerd parent thread, arguing over the over-amplification of the percussion, the soloists,the drum line, and most of all, a synthesized bass line, known I the community as "thunderous goo".

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php?/topic/164963-too-many-amplifiers/

That link gave my phone AIDS
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
This thread is wbt's "Mein Kampf" and I hope it goes another 100 pages. ****ing amazing.
CanyonAg77
AG
wbt5845 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

That link gave my phone AIDS
Well, it is connected with DCI....
AgOutsideAustin
AG
This grown up band season is too long is it over yet?
Shooz in Katy
AG
Wbt has an amazing troll game. That, or he is actually blind. No one on earth thinks the FTAB sucks. What a lengthy troll thread.
FearNoWeevil
AG
I picture the OP at the competitions squealing like visiting team baseball moms at Olsen...
javajaws
AG
There's literally no way to compare a military style marching band to a drum corps. That's like comparing a F150 to a Ferrari - they both have things in common and they're both great at what they do - but they are TOTALLY different.

I personally find drum corps more interesting because of the technical challenge as well as the variety. When I see the FTAB I can pretty much assume 80% of what I'll see/here will be the same as in previous years. And I'm ok with that!

As to one of the earlier comments in this thread about drum corps playing the same music all summer: It's not really as simple as that. Not only do scores and drills get rewritten throughout the summer, many Corps play additional music on tour for "standstill" performances. Then on top of that you have the DCI Individual and Ensemble competitions. Take all that and combine it with 3-4 performances/competitions per WEEK (in a different city each day) and it makes for a busy and strenuous summer.
Mr. Peterman
Still think if you want to debate about the nuances of "professional" marching band, chances are you're a homo.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.