Professional Marching Band season starts Thursday night!

15,162 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr. Peterman
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Cannot wait for the best marching bands in the world to show their stuff Thursday night in theaters across the country! DCI is BACK!

If you've never seen the best bands in the world, check out the world champs from last year, the Bluecoats from Canton, OH. I was there in Indianapolis screaming my lungs out!

End Of Message
CDUB98
AG
NoahAg

cadetjay02
AG
I think we found something to replace waterboarding.
HC
Congrats OP, for supporting your child, regardless of what lame activities they enjoy!
wbt5845
AG
That's what a band that is in tune, playing modern dynamic music, marching a highly athletic show looks like.

I'm guessing these concepts are pretty foreign to most Aggies.
80s Guy
I outgrew my twirler/flag girl fetish about 17. Looks like the OP is still there.
MooreTrucker
AG
wbt5845 said:

That's what a band that is in tune, playing modern dynamic music, marching a highly athletic show looks like.

I'm guessing these concepts are pretty foreign to most Aggies.
Eh, it's OK. Musically really good. Not what I'd call marching, but that's the style these days.

Those "uniforms" are just embarrassing though.
MooreTrucker
AG
80s Guy said:

I outgrew my twirler/flag girl fetish about 17. Looks like the OP is still there.
So THAT's what they're talking about in the other thread and wbt's attraction to underage girls....
wbt5845
AG
It's funny seeing someone call the DCI champions "OK". It speaks volumes, really.
Frederick Palowaski
AG
YAF
MooreTrucker
AG
wbt5845 said:

It's funny seeing someone call the DCI champions "OK". It speaks volumes, really.
Yeah, it says that it's not my kinda thing. I'm an old, remember, and was in marching band back in the 70's when we actually marched in straight lines and such instead of just wandering around the field information.

Sensitive much?
Geralt of Rivia
S
After this thread, wbt has no room to ever make fun of any other person's interests or hobbies
Squirrel Master
AG
I was really interested to see what that performance would look like and was honestly shocked that was viewed as the best. But I found the music boring, so that severely inhibited my ability to get in to it. The movements and choreography appeared to have fantastic precision, but I find most marching bands are just moving for moving's sake and without any purpose, and this was no different in that respect. If I was able to gather that movements meant anything, then maybe I'd care more.

Honestly, really really shocked that performance was some grand champion of the art.
Beer Baron
AG

Quote:

If you've never seen the best bands in the world, check out the world champs from last year, the Bluecoats from Canton, OH. I was there in Indianapolis screaming my lungs out!
The image of an old fat guy traveling across the country to scream at marching bands like a 12-year old girl at her first One Direction concert might be the most hilariously depressing thing I've ever seen on Texags.

"Wooooo! OMG WOOOOOOOO! LOOK AT THEM MARCH THEY'RE MARCHING I'M LOSING MY MIND OHMYGAWWWWWWWWD!!! WOOOOOO!"
wbt5845
AG
LOL
agnerd
AG
Ok, maybe they are the most talented. But I want to be entertained at half time. Discounting the Aggie Band because I'm probably biased, I think Ohio State has the correct formula:
Caesar4
AG
Wait, what do you mean by "professional"? Are they paid? Most of the time, Professional == paid

Are these kids?
wbt5845
AG
Caesar4 said:

Wait, what do you mean by "professional"? Are they paid? Most of the time, Professional == paid

Are these kids?

Most are college-aged music majors and thus working professionals
CDUB98
AG
Gotta be a troll.
End Of Message
AG
wbt5845 said:

Caesar4 said:

Are these kids?

So confused.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
wbt5845
AG
What's confusing? Most college music majors are already working professional musicians.
Builder93
AG
I will back up wbt on this. DCI is pretty amazing live. Watching it on video doesn't do the volume justice. Imagine the Aggie band volume doubled using half the number of musicians. It does seem to have gone off the deep end with the arty-farty stuff, though.

I took my wife to it years ago. She went to appease me and by the end she couldn't wait to go again the next year.
HC
Are any band dorks gonna go ahead and tell us what DCI stands for?
End Of Message
AG
wbt5845 said:

What's confusing? Most college music majors are already working professional musicians.

Whatever you say, dork
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
Builder93
AG
HC said:

Are any band dorks gonna go ahead and tell us what DCI stands for?
Drum Corp International.

Yes, I was a band dork.
HC
Thanks, my dude.
javajaws
AG
I marched with the Troopers in '88. People don't really understand how hard those guys work during the course of a summer season.
ThunderCougarFalconBird
AG
wbt5845 said:

Caesar4 said:

Are these kids?

are they getting paid for what they're doing at this event? They can be turning tricks on the weekend at $20 per hand job as professionals but unless they're getting paid to put on power ranger uniforms and march around, it's not professional.
New Hampshire Ag
AG
Ignatius_of_Silesia
javajaws said:

I marched with the Troopers in '88. People don't really understand how hard those guys work during the course of a summer season.

Damn. I can't believe I missed out on spending a summer marching around with dorks to haul hay and drink beer with undocumented workers.
Kramer
AG
Wrong.

Most are 17-21 year olds. They pay to be a part of it. They are very talented and then proceed to spend 18 hrs per day, every day, playing the exact same music and learning/polishing the exact same drill. It's grueling and insane. They do this all summer.

To say they're the best in the world is a problem. Virtually no other situation gets close to the same as DCI. If you had to compare, I'd say one of the military drum and bugle corps would be comparable.

But in the end, it's band. They exist to entertain. And everybody has their own opinion.
"The only happy Aggie is an unhappy Aggie." Shelby Metcalf
jetch17
AG
lol band.
Mr Gigem
AG
wbt5845 said:

Cannot wait for the best marching bands in the world to show their stuff Thursday night in theaters across the country! DCI is BACK!

OP?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.