Professional Marching Band season starts Thursday night!

15,299 Views | 183 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Mr. Peterman
wbt5845
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Tailgate88 said:

wbt5845 said:

Tailgate88 said:

DCI is awesome. Congrats OP, your kiddo make Bloo again this year? Looking forward to the Houston show on July 21.

He was selected to compete at an international tuba symposium this summer, so he had to decline a shot at another ring. He also had Crown cold call him and offer a contract - he had to decline them as well. So I get to here him practice 12 hours a day all summer instead.
That is quite an honor, but I guess after winning last year it was an easier decision. Where are you located? Bloo will be rehearsing and staying the night prior at Bryan High on the 21st.
We live in the D/FW area. We'll go out and see the guys when they're here before and after Houston. We'll be "section heroes" by bringing a cooler full of Gatorade for the tubas after the Denton show.
CanyonAg77
AG
Builder93 said:

I will back up wbt on this. DCI is pretty amazing live. Watching it on video doesn't do the volume justice. Imagine the Aggie band volume doubled using half the number of musicians. It does seem to have gone off the deep end with the arty-farty stuff, though.

I took my wife to it years ago. She went to appease me and by the end she couldn't wait to go again the next year.
Imagine the Aggie Band if it were all male again, all brass, carried horns optimized for sound with the bells all pointed forward, marched the entire show sideways with their horns pointed at the crowd, and did nothing but band 24/7.
Builder93
AG
CanyonAg77 said:

Builder93 said:

I will back up wbt on this. DCI is pretty amazing live. Watching it on video doesn't do the volume justice. Imagine the Aggie band volume doubled using half the number of musicians. It does seem to have gone off the deep end with the arty-farty stuff, though.

I took my wife to it years ago. She went to appease me and by the end she couldn't wait to go again the next year.
Imagine the Aggie Band if it were all male again, all brass, carried horns optimized for sound with the bells all pointed forward, marched the entire show sideways with their horns pointed at the crowd, and did nothing but band 24/7.

You have no idea what you are talking about. I'll add, imagine if the Aggie band were all music majors and could play impeccably in tune.
Dr. Faustus
AG
Edit: Aggressive.
MooreTrucker
AG
Builder93 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Builder93 said:

You have no idea what you are talking about. I'll add, imagine if the Aggie band were all music majors and could play impeccably in tune.
LOL. Another "expert". Funny that he "has no idea" and yet you leave it alone and just ADD something to it.
CanyonAg77
AG
Builder93 said:

CanyonAg77 said:

Builder93 said:

II will back up wbt on this. DCI is pretty amazing live. Watching it on video doesn't do the volume justice. Imagine the Aggie band volume doubled using half the number of musicians. It does seem to have gone off the deep end with the arty-farty stuff, though.

Really? Tell me what I said that was wrong.

Please note I'm talking about the level of the sound.
AgLaw02
AG
Once, when I was in high school, one of those groups was traveling and conducted a practice at my school. I was a band nerd, so I went to watch. About half the guys practiced wearing nothing but shoes and a speedo.

The music was cool, but the culture was... not for me.
wbt5845
AG
AgLaw02 said:

Once, when I was in high school, one of those groups was traveling and conducted a practice at my school. I was a band nerd, so I went to watch. About half the guys practiced wearing nothing but shoes and a speedo.

FWIW - drilling in the midday heat + having minimal clothing with you = wearing as little as possible for practice.

Tonight's the night! Our theater is sold out!

AgLaw02
AG
Quote:

FWIW - drilling in the midday heat + being flamboyantly gay = wearing as little as possible.
FIFY. Not saying your son is gay, but the vast majority of these guys were. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but attributing their sartorial choices to the weather and ease of packing is naive or intentionally misleading.
ac04
holy **** that is an extremely boring and pointless video. i am amazed that people willingly go watch that without their kid being part of it. jesus christ that is depressing
wbt5845
AG
AgLaw02 said:

Quote:

FWIW - drilling in the midday heat + being flamboyantly gay = wearing as little as possible.
FIFY. Not saying your son is gay, but the vast majority of these guys were. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but attributing their sartorial choices to the weather and ease of packing is naive or intentionally misleading.
I'm not sure how you could ascertain their sexual orientation by watching them, but ok.
End Of Message
AG

...not that there is anything wrong with that.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
Mr. Peterman
wbt5845 said:

AgLaw02 said:

Quote:

I'm not sure how you could ascertain their sexual orientation by watching them, but ok.

Weren't you the one who made up the story that your son was recruited to UNT?
End Of Message
12thAngryMan
AG
ac04 said:

holy **** that is an extremely boring and pointless video. i am amazed that people willingly go watch that without their kid being part of it. jesus christ that is depressing
So what do you like to do for fun? Watch other dudes run up and down a field chasing a ball?
Geralt of Rivia
S
Mr. Peterman said:

wbt5845 said:

AgLaw02 said:

Quote:

I thought that was "Heismanziel"
combat wombat™
AG
wbt5845 said:

That's what a band that is in tune, playing modern dynamic music, marching a highly athletic show looks like.

I'm guessing these concepts are pretty foreign to most Aggies.

Look out, folks, it's a matching band snob!
wbt5845
AG
Mr. Peterman said:

wbt5845 said:

AgLaw02 said:

Quote:

I have no idea WTF you're talking about.
Mr. Peterman
To be honest, it would be better to brag about a made up offer to UNT than "professional" marching band
Tailgate88
AG
AgLaw02 said:

Quote:

As you may expect, most guys in color guard are gay. Horns and percussion is majority straight. And most Corps are coed.
javajaws
AG
AgLaw02 said:

It wasn't uncommon while on tour for the girls to strip down and change while everybody was still on the bus. More a matter of necessity because there wasn't really any other option sometimes. And everybody had "bus buddies" that they cuddled with during night travel. Ah, the memories...
Kramer
AG
In wbt's defense, I have a list of things about the Aggie Band that I would change if I were put in charge.

Some are free and some are expensive. However, the main point is the Aggie Band needs the kind of "updating" that Adams and Haney did when they were here. The Aggie Band is doing the same thing it's done for 40 years.
"The only happy Aggie is an unhappy Aggie." Shelby Metcalf
MooreTrucker
AG
An ironical signature....
aggie7911
Of course and aggie dorks hang around at half to see the same routine week after week...I am amazed why some ags are in awe of the aggie band bunch of fat dorks running around.
smucket
AG
Drummer for A&M Jazz Band in my time but also marched at Plano, my favorite is here at 2:30 mark and around 4:30 mark

mazag08
AG
All marching bands are pointless. Go play your awful renditions of Harry Potter and Disney themes in a theater somewhere and leave sports fans alone. Because in the end, without football, nobody would be around and have to be subjected to watching you flail and twirl like a bunch of wannabe figure skaters.
Krazykat
AG
rc_cat
Top Secret is amazing - don't think I'd seen that one yet.
Krazykat
AG
wbt5845
AG
BLOO crushed it last night - won the Season Premiere event by 1.3 points, which is a solid win in these things.
Claude!
When does Nick Cannon come in?
MooreTrucker
AG
LOL at you, not with you
MooreTrucker
AG
smucket said:

Drummer for A&M Jazz Band in my time but also marched at Plano, my favorite is here at 2:30 mark and around 4:30 mark

That's awesome! As an old school drummer, I prefer snares that actually rattle a little as opposed to the tight plastic sound, but that skill and precision is amazing.
MooreTrucker
AG
LOL at you as well.
wbt5845
AG
aggie7911 said:

Of course and aggie dorks hang around at half to see the same routine week after week...I am amazed why some ags are in awe of the aggie band bunch of fat dorks running around.

Best thing about the FTAB is they make it easy for me to get to the concession stand at halftime at Kyle Field. Always have a good 10-minute window open to get whatever I want.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.