Outdoors
Sponsored by

2016 Elk Hunting Thread

95,911 Views | 726 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyForNow
ursusguy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We'll just say I didn't originally buy the glove (think it is from my Philmont fire rehab days circa 2002), so no. It's in a cathole.
Lungblood
shaynew1 said:

Lungblood said:

Texmid said:

Nice bull. That really is a great feeling after shooting an elk.

I'm gonna twist some nipples farmer Fran style when I pop my elk cherry... Probably put it on the Internet.

It's terrifying and erotic at the same time

That's all I'm lookin for in life really.
Lungblood
We want a pic of a GD Bull and a short story... Not a shart story.
shaynew1
AG
The real question is do we keep the 2017 thread dedicated elk or make western hunting.

Cause I'm goin western.

it's so far away
Log
AG
I'm heading west again this weekend to NM for a hopeful repeat of last year's 10 pt. muley.
Lungblood
Log said:

I'm heading west again this weekend to NM for a hopeful repeat of last year's 10 pt. muley.

Have a good one. Kill a good one.

You get that deer back from the taxi yet?
shaynew1
agingcowboy
AG
I live in western Wyoming surrounded by some of the most beautiful mountains around. I have the luxury of hunting millions of acres of National Forest ground literally right outside my front door. This has always been my dream and I have enjoyed DIY hunts on public land covering much of the West for the past several years. This year was kind of an up and down year for me. In addition to turning 40 this year, I have started to come to grips with the fact that this dream I've been living hasn't necessarily been shared by my wife and children. I live in a very small town that has limited opportunities for shopping, culture, entertainment, education, etc. I have seen this start to take a toll on my family. My job here is fine, but it certainly hasn't been the most rewarding. I have put up with it because I am living my dream outside of work. Given all of this and a unique career opportunity that came up, I made the decision to relocate my family back to Texas (Austin area) at the end of this year. It's been a very bitter sweet situation, but I'm a man and I have to look after my family's best interests. I'm still going to make every effort to make a trip out West every year to hunt, but I know how life gets and realize that the hunting will never be the same for me. All that being said, I really wanted to have a great hunting season and go out on a high note this year.

As always, I hunted my guts out during archery season. I covered countless miles hunting all my usual spots and some new country as well. I saw some beautiful country and had some close calls. One morning I snuck up on a bull that was bugling his face off in deep timber. I got so close my hair would stand up on end every time he bugled. I could smell him. I could hear him making that "glugging" sound that rutting bulls make in between bugles, but I couldn't see him. The wind was good so he didn't smell me but he must have sensed me and ghosted off. All I ever saw were his legs moving off into the trees. I couldn't have been more than 25 yards from him it was just too thick. Multiple trips and many close calls but I couldn't close the deal during archery season.

I had several buddies that came hunting with me this year. When I hunt with people I always feel obligated to make sure they have a good time and hopefully get a chance on an animal. If there was a guide a buddy/pack a buddy's kill award, I would nominate myself for it this year!!

We had some great adventures and made some great memories, but after helping three friends fill tags, I still hadn't punched mine.

I missed most of October working out of town as a hired gun (or knife in my case), and by the time I got back there was only a week left for the general rifle elk season. I still had to work, but I hunted every daylight hour I possibly could. I found an awesome ridge on the Forest ground up behind my house that had views all around into several different draws. The area had great views but was treacherously steep. I had found that out the hard way when I slid partway down the hill while chasing elk during the archery season. I tore some ligaments between some bones in my hand on the way down (that was on my 40th birthdayI turned 40 and immediately started falling down). Anyways, I knew there were elk around there and I just had a good feeling about it. I hunted it for all or part of the day for an entire week.

I even got my youngest boy to go up there with me one morning.

One evening I watched 30 elk feed over the ridge right at me. I kept waiting for the big bull to come over, but the biggest one was a young, immature 5 point so I decided to pass and snuck out after dark to keep from spooking them.

Friday, October 28th was the last day I would be able to hunt. I had to work in the morning, but I laced up my boots about mid-day to give it one more shot.

I hiked the ridge and glassed up my usual spots, but I didn't see anything. I could see a storm coming from the South and was a little worried about that but hoped it might get the elk moving. After about an hour it started raining pretty hard and the wind was blowing pretty steady. I came off the ridge and hunkered down under some pines hoping it would blow through. Well it didn't blow through and it actually got worse. I hadn't anticipated the rain and wasn't dressed as warm as I should have been. With about an hour of shooting light remaining I got up with the intention of calling it a season. When I got back up on the ridge, despite the fact that I was already shivering, I decided to take one last look. About 500 yards down the steepest part of the ridge I spotted the top of an elk's back. I got my binos up and could see the backs of his antlers sticking up over the crest of the hill, barely visible. From his backs and his spread I could see he was a mature bull. I made up my mind I was going to shoot if I had the chance. I scrambled to get everything ready and find a good shooting position. I ended up prone on a flat rock right on the edge of the cliff. The bull seemed wary even though I was so far away. He wouldn't expose much of his body and was moving in and out of the rocks and trees, then he disappeared into a patch of trees. I laid there on the exposed rock, shivering and getting pounded by wind and rain for a half hour praying he would show himself again. I was having a heck of a time keeping my optics clear because of all the rain. Finally, with about 20 minutes of shooting light remaining, two cows poked out of a patch of trees one after the other. I ranged them at 360 yards and adjusted my elevation accordingly. Another cow came out and I could see antlers on the fourth elk out. I guessed about 3 feet of windage, stilled myself, let out a big breath and took the shot as soon as he cleared the trees. He seemed hurt but he whirled around to face the trees. I let loose with round two right before he got back to cover. The 200 grain ELD-X from my .300 win mag hit home again and the second shot knocked him over and he rolled a couple of times before he stopped motionless. The shakes came back with a vengeance as I watched him for about 10 minutes to make sure he was down for good.

In the failing light I hiked back up the ridge and made some phone calls. I had 3 guys in mind that owed me some help with a pack out. I hiked back out to the trail head and met my buddies. It was pitch black and raining hard by the time we got down to my bull. He won't score the best but he is a mature bull which is all I was hoping for.

He was a fighter too. Most of his tips were broken off and he had an antler tip stuck just below his left eye, I assume broken off during a fight with another bull.

This is already long so I'll spare the details of the 6 hour pack out. In short, we quartered him up, took his backstraps and loins. Two guys took hind quarters, one took a front and I took a front and the head. It was a brutal, steep hike out in the cold and rain. It involved cramping up, throwing up, hypothermia, getting home at 1 AM, shivering in bed for several hours and my wife being mad at me for a couple of days after!

I'm still recovering, but I wouldn't trade the experience.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
shaynew1
AG
I wish I had the heart emoji

I'm sad and happy all at once for you. Texas is the place I really love to be. But dang.
GatorAg03
AG
Awesome bull and story. Glad you are leaving Wyoming on a high note. I'm sure you will still have plenty of great hunting in front of you and you still got to live in country very few ever will even if it was only for a few years. Congrats
Log
AG
He's ready, but I've been waiting to pick him up since my dual aoudad pedestal is being finished. I'll pick them all up at once.

For reference, I shot a 21-22" aoudad ewe (which is apparently huge; most don't go over 18") and a 26-27" ram on a TPWD public hunt at Palo Duro last year. Figured that they'd look good together as a dual mount.
Lungblood
Don't move to Austin, TX... You'll regret it the rest of your life, and you know it. Just don't.
agingcowboy
AG
Heck, I already regret it in some ways, but I feel like it will be a good move for my family. New adventures. Spend some years letting my kids get grown then we'll see what's next.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TommyGun
AG
I've been in WY for about a year and a half now and my wife is already getting a bit restless about getting back to Texas. It is a really tough thing to be 1400 miles apart from our families and not have the luxuries we had back in Texas. We're considered spoiled by Wyoming standards for having a Walmart and a Sportsman's Warehouse in town, however, my wife doesn't quite view it that way.

I think we probably have another 1.5-2 years here before we're back down south. I really wish I could just transplant all of our family here (at least some...) and go chase elk with my dad and brothers while enjoying all of the public land available. I get really jealous of the multi-generational families here that go and spend weeks in the mountains together hunting and fishing throughout the year. This place has so much to offer but at the same time it can be harsh and tough on a family.

Congrats on the bull by the way! I hope I can get a trophy like that before my time is done here, as well.
PFG
AG
agingcowboy....incredible story! Thanks for sharing. And man, that pack out sounds brutal. The picture of your back sagging, all the weight on your shoulders and back --- ouch! Next time you do an elk hunt, put out an APB and I'll let you borrow my Seek Outside Evolution pack. It sits way too idle. Needs more blood stains. Anything with some support!

Pretty awesome for getting that bull out in those conditions.
Sean98
AG
Love your story, but weep for your predicament in having to move to Texas. That's a big step backwards in my opinion. (Tommy, don't do it!!).

I've been in Kansas for 12 years now and I find myself getting restless. Tough to do anything about it since I'm a part owner of our company, but I do occasionally peruse Idaho, Montana, Wyoming want ads and real estate listings...
agingcowboy
AG
My Eberlestock Team Elk pack does a pretty good job, but it's not built for that kind of load. I definitely could have used a more ergonomic pack frame like the one you have that night! The quarter and antlers were trying to tip me over backwards, I ended up tying a rope to the antlers that I could pull forward over my shoulder to balance the load somewhat. As you mentioned from the picture, my waist belt kept sliding down over my hips (from the weight and the rain) too which wasn't helping me...the struggle was real!

With regards to the issue of moving back to Texas...I don't know what to say. My family is excited about it. They'll get to experience living closer to civilization and family which they enjoy (closest Walmart now is 2 hours). The new career opportunity has limitless potential upside. So even though it hurts my heart, for now... I think it's the right thing.
ursusguy
AG
Alright, here we go. Let me set the scene real quick. This was three years in the making. Three cousins originally out of Texas, now scattered from Texas to California to Pennsylvania. Me: 40, wildlife biologist, worked my a-- off on cardio the last year, known cheap a--, and very cold tolerant for a Texan (not a brag, just always have been for the most part), experienced with wilderness and not a picky eater. California--37, former Marine now special ed teacher, not a picky eater. Pennsylvania--34, does very well for himself in heavy equipment/water pumps, former college athlete.

Me and Penn cruise into Trapper Lake Lodge in the Honda Ridgeline (did great everywhere we went) Thursday afternoon. Meet AgLa06 and his buddy. Find out that we are group #3 headed out Friday "morning", and the outfitter is scrambling to figure out the horse situation since at group out of Atlanta showed up with a LOT of crap....long story short, this group created lots of logistical issues.

Cabin for first night----none of that crap laying around is ours
[jimg][/img]

Cali cousin drives straight from LA area and shows up in time to get loaded. The pile on the ground is our stuff, the suitcase and lawn chairs are getting loaded to haul to the Atlanta group.

Nut check

If you look at that snowline roughly in the center, you can just make out the trail.

Headed up

There were several areas with 200-500 foot dropoffs

Home sweet home

Collecting drinking water.....and the last time he chose to where the handgun

Did lots of this

Big Marvine and Jurassic Park
[img]{/img]

Trapper Peak---Our camp is almost dead center, our camp was at 11,200 feet
[img]{/img]

During a break in the snow on Tuesday, Trapper Peak behind the tent basically disappeared a good chunk of the day. We hung around the camp basin most of the day, but decided to head out to "hunt" about 4 PM.

Well we found something. Shot this guy (only legal bull we actually saw) at 319 yards with a .270 WSM. And began a general comedy of close calls.

I was the only one that consistently always carried my day pack. Somehow with ended up with knives out the yingyang, but one flashlight. And we dropped into the single digets while we quartered and deboned. I had the easy job, the head and the backstraps stuffed in my daypack. They had a debonded hindquarter each, in gamebags not packs. Mind you we are only 1 miles from camp, but this is at 11,400 and there is a weird little, steep a-- ridge to cross, in a now HEAVY snowstorm. I was baking (wearing what you see there) and both cousins were about frozen wondering how I wasn't.....in the end we ALL agreed it was the most physically demanding thing any of us had done.

About 10:30 the next morning, we headed back to get the front quarters......yeah, he didn't take any shorts and it was now hot as hell (in the sun)

Hell yeah

Some fun engineering.

Starting Wednesday, we knew there were a pretty decent sized storm coming and they were encouraging us to come down on Friday rather than Sunday. We were already having the conversation about not being real keen on getting on a horse the first 400 yards dropping off the mesa. Wrangler shows up LATE Friday afternoon, "Just want to let yall know that he trail is really sh---- and we're going to walk the horses (9 horses) the first half mile". Sweet. Long story short, it was the longest a-- pucker of my life. I damn near went over a cliff, horses damn near went over twice.

Great trip with my cousins, and we are now looking at pronghorn in 2020.

Yep, photobucket and don't care.
[/img]
agingcowboy
AG
Well done and congrats!
OnlyForNow
AG
That looks like one old salty cowboy in that last photo.
ursusguy
AG
He loved telling everyone that he is 73. When he's not doing this, he's a horse trainer out of the Waco area. He was a character to say the least. The other wrangler seen in the series is a retired sheriff, his last case, the theater shooting.
NW80
AG
To all of you guys that scored... CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!
To those who didn't... You'll get'em !!!!

Lungblood
Very nice. Did yall see a bunch of rag horns and cows? I assume you were in a 4point unit.

Also, Did you play "Wilson" on Tool Time, a few years back?
ursusguy
AG
We saw a good number of cows, elk in general, the first 4 days. We kept missing getting set up for a shot by several seconds. I only spotted a couple raghorns. We spotted 3 "bulls" way the hell off, and beyond bull I can't honestly say what they were (likely decent since we could make out the antlers).

After the 4th day I didn't cut anything fresh, and found no new tracks (I did a lot of tracking for the elk we did find). We believe the snowstorm Tuesday triggered the majority to start migrating lower.....we never heard any bugling and was purely spot and stalk, or me tracking.

Unit 24 is a 4 point unit. I believe AgLa06 saw more legal bulls than we did.

I'm 40, I'm not that old :-)
Buck Compton
AG
Packed up and on my way to Unit 71 for 3rd Rifle DIY. Had some friends from the area say it's been quite a successful season and all signs point to some mature bulls still active up in the mountains.

Drop camp at 11,300, will be back out next Friday with a report.
arrow
AG
agingcowboy said:

With regards to the issue of moving back to Texas...I don't know what to say. My family is excited about it. They'll get to experience living closer to civilization and family which they enjoy (closest Walmart now is 2 hours). The new career opportunity has limitless potential upside. So even though it hurts my heart, for now... I think it's the right thing.
It sounds like you're making a great choice. Though I still daydream about moving back out west, my wife and kids are extremely happy in Texas with all the family nearby. You'll just have to travel west as often as possible to get your fix. An annual hunting trip, skiing trip, and scouting/hiking/fishing trip keep my mind right.
Log
AG
Not the biggest, but legal, and considering weather conditions are currently and will continue to be crap through Monday (season runs through Wednesday). It rained heavily overnight, and was intermittently misting, sprinkling, and all out raining as I was taking him apart, and it is forecast to get worse. I shot him at first light a mile from my truck. He was with a group of 7-8 does, and I could tell he wasn't a forkhorn, so I decided to not look a gift horse in the mouth. They were in the valley just across the ridge from where I shot the one last year.

Almost didn't make it the ~8 miles back to the asphalt; dirt roads were horribly slick, and I slid 90 degrees to the road twice. If I'd have stayed in any longer, I'd probably be stuck until later in the week when things dry out.

Really wanted to explore that BLM unit more, since it is about 3 miles wide and 6 miles deep with lots of terrain for the big boys to make their home in, but at least I got one of them last year and I'm not eating tag soup.

OnlyForNow
AG
Dude looks like he has seen some miles

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.