Outdoors
Sponsored by

2016 Elk Hunting Thread

95,959 Views | 726 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyForNow
stdeb11
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Definitely not my best day on the range this year, but I was exhausted from the weekend...This view helped put me in a little better mood

Log
AG
Aren't Larabars high in estrogen?
Lungblood
I think they're high in hippy.
agingcowboy
AG
So my replacement string came in and I got it put on and ready to roll. My guy asked if I wanted to throw it on the hooter shooter and super tune it. I should have taken the advice on here regarding the good idea fairy to heart...but instead I said, sure lets super tune it. The hooter shooter had the bow at about half draw when the drawing mechanism (on the hooter shooter) broke. There was an arrow on the string because nobody want a dry fire, but nonetheless my bow with its 80 pound limbs came uncorked...broke the (new) string, bent the cams, and sent the arrow and peep flying everywhere. Luckily no body got hurt. So other than that, pretty good day. Now it's a race to see if I can get new cams and string here in time or just pick up a new bow or tweak my target bow for hunting...
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
So my replacement string came in and I got it put on and ready to roll. My guy asked if I wanted to throw it on the hooter shooter and super tune it. I should have taken the advice on here regarding the good idea fairy to heart...but instead I said, sure lets super tune it. The hooter shooter had the bow at about half draw when the drawing mechanism (on the hooter shooter) broke. There was an arrow on the string because nobody want a dry fire, but nonetheless my bow with its 80 pound limbs came uncorked...broke the (new) string, bent the cams, and sent the arrow and peep flying everywhere. Luckily no body got hurt. So other than that, pretty good day. Now it's a race to see if I can get new cams and string here in time or just pick up a new bow or tweak my target bow for hunting...

Sounds like they just bought your bow and should replace it with one comparable so you can shoot it between now and your trip.
agingcowboy
AG
Yeah, the problem is that it's my bow shop. I just sold it to this guy a few months ago. He offered me one of the new bows on the shelf, but I really like mine (when it isn't exploding). Trying not to come down too hard on him, we'll see what happens.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
arrow
AG
Tough deal, but it sounds like you're probably in a situation to get a bow pretty quick. I have nightmares about my string coming undone in the backcountry.
arrow
AG
I think I've got all my ducks-in-a-row: broadheads are flying straight, new pack is all situated, and flower delivery is scheduled for my wife. Heading west on Thursday! My goal until then is don't get sick and don't get hurt.
shaynew1
AG
I'm headed out Thursday also and am pretty worthless so far this week.
Lungblood
I don't even. I can't even. I just feel for Ya man.

We all know you'll get it figured out, so take comfort in that. Back in the day, my Ag teacher used to say "ain't nothin for a high stepper like you".

But seriously, no more gif!
Sean98
AG
Oof.

No super tuning for me. I'm a bad shot, so I need a bad shooting bow. ...that way we are in sync .

I need a new D loop and have to tweak my backup bow a little but barring an accident in not touching my main bow.

Wish you all the best cowboy. I believe an experienced shooter like you will be shooting x's again real soon.
agingcowboy
AG
Appreciate the well wishes. It's plenty unnerving to have one of these high energy bows come apart. Going over it after the dust settled and finding the cams bent was a real gut punch though. I'll get it sorted.

Good luck to everyone with hunts that are coming up soon!
Sean98
AG
How the hell did this get to Page 2!!?? The season starts in FOUR DAYS!!

What is everyone planning on carrying in their day and/or overnight packs to put in their face hole and ultimately their belly? I'm not going full on Larabars. I'm 40 and already worried about b**ch teets, so I don't need that much hippy estrogen.

But I do like nutrient dense and tasty.

What is your go to trail snack? Meal on the go? Emergency energy? etc.
shaynew1
AG
Working out my grub as we speak. A daily variation of:

Grits/oatmeal w some butter
Peanut butter bacon bagel
Trail mix bar
Pack of tuna
Pepperoni, salami, cheese
Freeze dried dinner

I'm a big body and can't abide being hungry.
TommyGun
AG
I usually have beef jerky, trail mix, and a hearty sandwich in my day pack.
stdeb11
AG
Breakfast: 1/2 pack of backpacking breakfast meal + oatmeal (dry)...yeah I'm a weirdo and prefer oatmeal dry

Lunch: Justin's Almond butter with honey on a pita + Jerky

Dinner: Backpacking meal

Snacks: Dry fruit, mixed nuts, progenex bars

I'm not a big snacker and never really get that hungry when out backpacking/hunting...Almost found a Backpacking Brewing kit for $10 on Craigslist today--I was a little to late. Still want one for the novelty...

Pats Backcountry Brewing Kit

arrow
AG
I ended up with about 2500 cal/day. Going for variety this year instead of just Snickers and Mountain House. I have a gallon zip-lock for each day with an assortment of the following:

Staples: ProBars, Pita, Almond Butter, Jerky
Dried Fruit: Mangos and Bananas
Assorted Nuts: Pecans, Cashews, Almonds, Pistachios
Sweets: Stroopwafels, Peanut M&Ms, Nilla Wafers, Sour Patch Kids
Stuff that will probably crush: Chex Mix and Pringles

Then I'll have a delicious Mountain House dinner each night. Possibly supplemented with a fire roasted grouse and a dram of scotch.
Lungblood
I'll be in the backcountry for 9 days on my own. If I grow tits, I might stay longer.

On the menu..,
1.Lara bars cause cliff bars taste like cardboard and sht.
2.unsalted roasted almonds
3. Mountain House
4. Dusky grouse
5. Dried fruit
6. Something else
Sean98
AG
#4 & #5 together in a stew would be most excellent.
Lungblood
Peaches and Grouse with salt n pepper sounds good
Kalebcs
Breakfast at 4 am is oats and almond milk with honey. Then around 8 I'll bust out a small burrito I'll prepare before we leave.

Lunch will be jerky, trail mix, boiled eggs, and some tortillas.

Dinner is a rotation of Chili, stew, and chicken dumplings. (And in aggreance with everyone else, hopefully grouse.)

Snacks are trail mix, PB, and apples.

We return to camp every evening, so suppers are a little more hardy.
ursusguy
AG
Food seems to be falling to me for me and two cousins. This could be interesting. Neither one is picky, and one is cheaper than I am. Where there might be an issue is I don't get bored with food.
AgLA06
AG
I bet there's a lot of road kill between Dallas and Meeker.
shaynew1
AG
And plenty of marmots up there
GatorAg03
AG
Make sure you do your math correctly on meals and coordinate appropriately. I did a fly out trip with a buddy and somehow he was under the impression that I was handling all food (I think he was just being cheap). We had 7 mountain House meals and a handful of Cliff Bars total for a weak long float trip. First couple days were meager fishing, but then we figured it out and were able to get plenty of salmon and grayling to subsidize the misstep.

Also on a separate Alaskan hunt, we couldn't eat enough. We joke about the tundra diet overtaking the Paleo diet. I lost about 10 pounds in a week from an already scrawny 6'2" 185 pound frame and my buddy lost about 25 pounds on a 6'3" 220 pound frame. A diet of oatmeal, jerky, Cliff Bars and Mountain House meals doesn't go as far as one would think when you are hunting hard. I think I would need about 4000 calories a day to not lose weight when hunting hard and there is no way I am packing all that in. Best thing to do is supplement by tagging out or catch a few fish, supplement off the land if possible.
Lungblood

2195 per day... I don't know if I can fit 9 days of this in my pack.
Kalebcs
Elk hunting "titty bars' are not what most world expect.
Sean98
AG
Those of you that mountain house, what are your favorites and are there any that you'd say "stay away" from?
stdeb11
AG
I generally go with the Beef Strokin'Off or Chili Mac for dinner. Breakfast skillet and biscuits and gravy are pretty good. Tried the chicken and rice and it wasn't bad, just not super flavorful. I haven't found any to stay away from, but I haven't ventured off much further. Plus I usually carry some packets of crushed red pepper flakes to spice them up.

If you're feeling like dessert, their Creme Brulee is actually pretty good. Nice treat midway thru a trip.

Tried some other brand from the sportsmens expo that had pulled pork and rice. It was damn good, but I'll have to look up the brand at home
arrow
AG
None are great. I like the Chicken a la King and Sweet and Sour Pork the best. Lasagna and Chicken & Potatoes will also be in my pack this year as repeats. Potato and Bacon Chowder from Saratoga Farms is a good choice if you can find it.
GatorAg03
AG
I havd yet to have a bad Mountain House meal. Biggest thing for me is they all run together after a while and taste similar. If you can bring enough supplemental food to limit MH to once a day or so (insta-oatmeal, nuts, jerky, tuna, dried fruit, etc then you not only save money but are genuinely looking forward to the MH meal each evening.
Lungblood
I second the Beef Stroganoff... It's my favorite. Biscuits n Gravy are good. Chili Mac and the Spaghetti are also pretty tasty.
agingcowboy
AG
Stroganoff is my favorite as well.

what I don't like is the caramel soft serve that results from eating mostly mountain house for a week...
Lungblood
Downside is that It makes me fart like a mule.
Sean98
AG
What sort of FirstAid stuffs do you guys carry on a daily basis?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.