Outdoors
Sponsored by

2016 Elk Hunting Thread

95,583 Views | 726 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyForNow
tmaggie50
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Sean's thread showed me there were quite a few elk hunters on the board, so I thought a good all around elk hunting thread might be good. I'm interested in everyone's gear, when and where their hunting, past success/failure stories, tips while hunting, etc

I'll be hunting Unit 19 1st rifle at tree line. This will be my first true elk hunt. We are doing a drop camp and will be camping for 7 days, hunting for 5. I'm using a Tikka T3 .270 with 150 grain core lock bullets.
I haven't decided on a sleeping bag or a backpack yet.

Does anyone hunt with a non camo backpack? I feel like the hiking backpacks are better than the hunting ones and more versatile but I worry about toting a big black/blue blob on my back.
AgLA06
AG
2nd rifle, unit 24, drop camp, unguided in the Flat Tops Wilderness, Colorado. We're being packed in by horses from a lake resort lodge. Shooting a .300 mag.

First time elk hunting, but have done some mountain hunting for Mulies. It will be different in that from what I can see we will be hunting down instead of hunting up as we'll be camping on top of the Flat Tops and hunting the drainages below.

I have an older model Eberlestock gunslinger that I'll be using. Hit the 90 day out point this week and I've picked up the training. Added a weighted sand bag to my pack last night. Been walking 3ish miles each in the morning and evenings, 5 days a week. Will be adding a cardio workout in the evenings next week. I'm regretting not building this regiment up a couple months ago.
AgEng06
AG
I won't be elk hunting this year, but I will be mountain muley hunting in January, so I'm going to follow along on this thread.

Good luck to you guys that are getting out there!
PFG
AG
Headed back to CO for the third time, hunting the third season rifle with an OTC tag. So far I've packed out bulls for 2 of my buddies. Hoping third time is the ticket for punching my own tag.

Backpack hunt. No horses, no atv. Boot leather, light gear, and good packs. Using a bag/frame from Seek Outside:

https://seekoutside.com/lightweight-backpacking-packs/

resmith09
AG
I've been considering an elk hunt for some time, but I have no idea what to expect. Can y'all shed some light- cost, requirements (such as permitting, etc.)?

I was thinking hunting in Wyoming unless it's cheaper/easier to go elsewhere. Probably prefer a guided hunt.
tmaggie50
AG
What's your plans?
AgLA06
AG
Where do you live?
AgEng06
AG
DIY OTC late archery in Arizona. We'll primarily be truck camping (buddy has a wall tent), but will also have the option of spiking out for a night if we get on a deer and it's necessary.

I'm just getting into Western hunting, but my buddy has been going for 8 years or so (a lot of those w/ an outfitter) so I'm mostly drawing off of his experience.

The first year (I hope) is the most expensive as I'm acquiring some gear and such, but I'm enjoying getting new stuff. I've got a good clothing system built now (mainly FirstLite with some KUIU thrown in), a good pack (Exo Mountain K2 2000), and lots of other new gear to play with. Needless to say, I'm stoked to get out there and try our luck.
resmith09
AG
In Austin. As for "plans," I have none- that's why I'm asking for tips on what to do/where to go/how to be cost effective.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
In Austin. As for "plans," I have none- that's why I'm asking for tips on what to do/where to go/how to be cost effective.

With Ursus help, I'm doing what I think is a cost effective hunt for a Wilderness area. Including tag (half cost), horses in and out, wall tent with wood stove and cot, gas there and back, one night stay at the lodge for about $1500.

We actually have an open spot if you're interested.
stdeb11
AG
Archery season OTC unit 14 and 15 (changed plans due to a friend wanting to join). Plan to hunt a few weekends and one longer trip at the end Sept.

DIY hunting. Plan on packing in for 3-4 day hunts trying to cover loops out of that. Hunted 15 in 2nd rifle season last year so I already know some of the area already. Took a weekend scout trip to 14 two weeks ago. Only my 2nd year in CO, so still learning elk.

- Misson Blaze bow, FMJ Arrows, QAD Exodus 125gr broadheads
- Eberlestock Mainframe + transformer pack
schmellba99
AG
What unit in AZ?
AgEng06
AG
27. From what I understand it's a pretty hard hunt w/ rugged terrain, but should allow us to get away from the crowd a little bit. Of course the beauty of OTC is that we can pick up and move if necessary.

Any insight?
schmellba99
AG
I'll be in Unit 231, 1st rifle. But I'm getting my fat butt spoilt something fierce. Shooting my .300 WSM.

My view:
schmellba99
AG
quote:
27. From what I understand it's a pretty hard hunt w/ rugged terrain, but should allow us to get away from the crowd a little bit. Of course the beauty of OTC is that we can pick up and move if necessary.

Any insight?
Not much that I can give - you pretty much nailed it with your description. I never hunted that neck of the woods, but it does hold some quality elk from what I remember hearing and reading. The terrain is going to be pretty rough, which makes them harder to pin down than some of the more popular areas. But you'll likely not see anybody else while you are there.

I'll ask a couple of buddies of mine if they know anything about it and report back.

Should be beautiful country though, the Blue Range is very picturesque.
AgEng06
AG
Thanks. And for the record, we'll be muley hunting, so if your buddies have any specifics in that direction that would be great as well!
Log
AG
NM Unit 45 Blackpowder 10/8-12. Pecos Wilderness.

Prior hunts:

http://texags.com/forums/34/topics/953700
http://texags.com/forums/34/topics/1244286
http://texags.com/forums/34/topics/1922856
BurrOak
AG
Unit 43 Colorado, 3rd season rifle. Backpacking into the White River National Forest.

Using Model 70 .270 shooting 150 gr Nosler Partitions.
Dirt 05
AG
I'm considering an OTC archery hunt in Colorado unit 77. Never been before but wandering around the wilderness in Colorado camping with a bow and a fly rod seems like it would be a good trip.
TexAg0308
AG
Colorado Unit 35 private land. 2nd Rifle season Mule Deer and Elk. We shoot great deer here every year. This will be our 5th season. We have had some pretty close calls with Elk just haven't put it all together yet... This year will be different hopefully. Staying in an old cabin on the side of the mountain. Unguided hunt. Shooting Remington 700 5R .300 Win Mag with Swarovski Z5 5-25 x 52 Federal Premium Vital-Shok 180 Grain NP
Buck Compton
AG
Colorado Unit 71 - DIY OTC 3rd Rifle

Already went on a scouting trip and found 3 or 4 really good spots I can try within a few miles of the base camp we will set up - camping at 10,500 feet. Walled tent with a wood stove thankfully - no more ultralight freezing my ass off in Colorado in November/December - I'm through with that.

Shooting my .270 again as of right now. Mulling over a .300 WSM or WM as I have been looking to round out the collection anyway.

I travel MON-THU for work, so I don't get as much work with my pack as I like. I run 4-5 miles a day on the treadmill while travelling and take my pack loaded at 65# for a 5+ mile hike on most Saturdays. Over the next month or two going to increase that to 75/85 and try to make it to Central Texas to get some more elevation change in. Prepping now makes the hunt that much more enjoyable - you're already going to have to adjust to altitude.

AggieJames09
AG
Archery DIY in SW Colorado. I am going 8/26 - 9/5. I drew a mule deer tag but will also have an elk tag. Excited is an understatement, nothing better than chasing elk and muleys!
99FarmersFight
Colorado unit 54, 2nd rifle season, Mule Deer and Elk tag
montanagriz
S
Unit 76 colorado diy 2nd rifle season otc elk and drew a mule deer tag.
Backpacking in. 7 day hunt
Legett79
AG
DIY archery for elk in SE Idaho 16 days in September. Rifle hunting Uinta mountains in Utah 1st week of October. Muley hunting late October in northern Utah. You guys better be careful: after my first elk hunt in Colorado years ago I wound up moving to the Rockies just to feed my addiction. My goal is to never again sit in a box blind and wait for the feeder to go off.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
dragons06
AG
+1 for http://exomountaingear.com/. Dont own one yet, but all my research has pointed me to them.
FrontPorchAg
quote:
DIY archery for elk in SE Idaho 16 days in September. Rifle hunting Uinta mountains in Utah 1st week of October. Muley hunting late October in northern Utah. You guys better be careful: after my first elk hunt in Colorado years ago I wound up moving to the Rockies just to feed my addiction. My goal is to never again sit in a box blind and wait for the feeder to go off.
Those are all great areas. I wont be hunting this year. Looking at the Jawbridge in NV for '17 as well as Wyoming.
Kalebcs
OTC Unit 62 last week of archery. This year I'm planning on going deep and physically preparing myself as well as possible to do so. I also amped up my calling game quite a bit with some Rocky Mountain Game Calls diaphragms and a bugling tube. As far as camo goes, I don't have the money to invest in a camo system for western hunts. Maybe one day I'll get some Kuiu. Right now I'm rolling in realtree xtra. I do have a great pair of boots that I would suggest everyone take a look at if they are in the market. Irish Setter VaprTrek.

Also, I will be back for second week of rifle OTC in unit 71. I may or may not hunt. It will all depend on how archery season goes. This hunt is more of my Pop's (77) last mountain hunt hoorah and I'm hoping to just be his guide and pack mule with fly rod in hand. I want to do whatever I can to make him successful.

Buck Compton, if we are there at the same time, stop by for some coffee and a hunting story or two.
PFG
AG
Best advice I can give:

You should rarely see your camp in the daylight. Killing an elk on public ground often requires leaving camp well before sunup, and returning after sundown. Get comfortable traversing mountain terrain by the light of your headlamp. And so, have a great headlamp. I recommend Zebra Light.
tmaggie50
AG
What GPS units are y'all using?

I have no idea on thermal winds. Do they typically go 1 direction vs another dependent on time of day? Do they occur only on a certain side of the mountain dependent on what direction it's facing?
Legett79
AG
Thermals go down the mountain in the morning as the elk go up. They travel up the mountain as the elk start moving down in the afternoon. If you locate elk, try to get on the same level as the elk, so thermals less of an issue. Still need to play the wind. Problem is the elk will tend to bed down wherever the winds are sure to swirl. Anyone who tells me shooting an elk isn't fair, I tend to agree with. The elk have every advantage!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
stdeb11
AG
Garmin GPSMAP 64st with the huntmaps chip for gps
PFG
AG
Gaia GPS on iPhone 6

Best handheld GPS there is, and most all of us have one in our pocket right now.
Buck Compton
AG
No GPS for me because I'm a cheapass. I'll use my land-nav skills with a few topo/satellite maps and my compass.
GottaRide
S
15 year old son and I each drew any season, unit 63, cow tags for private land in Colorado. We will be hunting the family ranch. I am extremely fortunate- the ranch is all easy hiking, we always fill our tags, and have been able to get a tractor to every elk that we have killed. We will probably go the week before 1st season. I use a Kimber 8400 300 wsm with hand loaded 180 grain Accubonds. The boy will use a Ruger American in .270. Still deciding on the right 150 grain load.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.