Outdoors
Sponsored by

2016 Elk Hunting Thread

95,952 Views | 726 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyForNow
shaynew1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm on the board w a teeny 6 that's going to be delicious
tmaggie50
AG
Pics or it didn't happen!
shaynew1
AG

Taco meat
schmellba99
AG

Took 3 days of patterning and stalking and being in the right place. Not big by any standard, but he is my first bull elk and it was an abaolute blast, and a lot of work, to get him.

We called him in, at one point he was no more than 20 feet. Shot him at about 60 yards just as the last bit of light faded from the sky. Old 5x5, and I am still stoked.

Colorado is in about a month, hope my success carries over.
agingcowboy
AG
Two on the scoreboard! Congrats to you both! Beautiful Bulls. I'm gonna give it a try again in the AM.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Lungblood
Congrats on the kills! Let's get some stories.

My story is this. I'm headed back to the Weminuche tomorrow to squeeze in 3+ days of elk hunting. No more dogs... No more hairy bushed nuns. This time I keep my eye on the prize.

Time to put the women and children to bed and go lookin for fckn dinner.

Still elk Horney.
shaynew1
AG
I got some great stories but still up here trying to help another get stick one. Will recap when I get home. It's been a heck of a season.
Lungblood
Sweet. Can't wait. Happy for you man.
shaynew1
AG
Cooked some of mine tonight and gotdang this sumbich is good. Horns be damned this is what it's about.
Lungblood
quote:
Cooked some of mine tonight and gotdang this sumbich is good. Horns be damned this is what it's about.

Envy turns to jealousy

shaynew1
AG
Sorry...I was a few whiskeys in
Kalebcs
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/17PyZ

*edit: imgur link really puts a damper on my parade. Why can't it just post the pic?
AgEng06
AG
Congrats man!

Image help:

bkf0005
AG
Is this tease from unit 62? Congrats, looking forward to the pics!
Kalebcs
Thanks y'all! Here he is:
https://instagr.am/p/BKswLPZDt7l
Yeah, unit 62 OTC archery.
I have been extremely blessed. I'll write up a full report after I get some sleep. It's a long haul from Montrose to ETX.
AgEng06
AG
Oh man, that's awesome.
mneisch
AG
Awesome bull
arrow
AG
Awesome! That is one heck of a bull. OTC Archery makes it perfect. Great hunt!
bkf0005
AG
Congrats! Awesome bull regardless, especially for a high pressure OTC unit like 62!

We were there the first week of the season, my dad shot a young 4x4 bull. I saw him the evening before he shot him but couldn't make it happen, I mostly saw a bunch of bears. It was our first successful archery elk hunt
agingcowboy
AG
Congrats! Awesome bull!!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
Awesome hunt. I love the public hunting successes.
Sean98
AG
Glad to see someone hearing/killing something. I'm back now and given my experience, or lack thereof, I may never go back again. I was told it was like turkey hunting big game, and I glossed over the fact that I believe turkey hunting to be the worst hunting on earth. ...turns out that my experience was exactly like turkey hunting. It sucked.
AgLA06
AG
http://www.quickmeme.com/Billy-Madison--Dumber
tmaggie50
AG
quote:
Glad to see someone hearing/killing something. I'm back now and given my experience, or lack thereof, I may never go back again. I was told it was like turkey hunting big game, and I glossed over the fact that I believe turkey hunting to be the worst hunting on earth. ...turns out that my experience was exactly like turkey hunting. It sucked.

What area were you in?was it just terrible bc you didn't have any activity?
Sean98
AG
Basically. $800 in tags and 4 years of waiting to never have even a remote chance to kill an elk, even a cow. 14 days with temps as high as 85 degrees. Oh, and what I assume will be $1500 in damage to my truck.

At least it wasn't just us. Even the high dollar ranch hunt guys on private land stopped in to ask if we were hearing anything because no one anywhere around us was hearing any bugling or seeing any elk during daylight. Those guys were spending $6,000-10,000 for their trip so I guess that makes me feel a lot better about the amount we spent.

Don't care that we didn't kill but we legitimately had no real chance to even get close. And we never saw another hunter anywhere near where we were hunting so I don't think it was due to pressure. Just one of those things I suppose. Hot temps, full moon, gay elk, who knows?

I did climb 2400 feet at one point to shoot a dusky grouse, so I guess I've got that goin' for me.
Sean98
AG
But legitimately excited for the guys that did get it done!!
AgLA06
AG
quote:
Basically. $800 in tags and 4 years of waiting to never have even a remote chance to kill an elk, even a cow. 14 days with temps as high as 85 degrees. Oh, and what I assume will be $1500 in damage to my truck.

At least it wasn't just us. Even the high dollar ranch hunt guys on private land stopped in to ask if we were hearing anything because no one anywhere around us was hearing any bugling or seeing any elk during daylight. Those guys were spending $6,000-10,000 for their trip so I guess that makes me feel a lot better about the amount we spent.

Don't care that we didn't kill but we legitimately had no real chance to even get close. And we never saw another hunter anywhere near where we were hunting so I don't think it was due to pressure. Just one of those things I suppose. Hot temps, full moon, gay elk, who knows?

I did climb 2400 feet at one point to shoot a dusky grouse, so I guess I've got that goin' for me.

It seems very hit or miss this year. I have a buddy that killed a 5x6 last week. They were literally setting up camp and it bugles just above them. He drops his work gloves and grabs his bow. He figures he might be able to put it to bed to chase the following day. Ends up almost stepping on it and practically kills it in self defense to protect his bung hole.

First bull ever. And with a bow. On public land. Over the counter tag. Lucky SOB.

I'm hoping this means the rut will be later and the warm weather will hold on longer this year for us rifle hunters.
Aggzwin00
[URL=.html][/URL]
mneisch
Lungblood
Congrats to the killers. You kill elk. You harvest corn. Corn is stupid. Elk are smart. Don't apologize for killing. I enjoy killing animals and eating their flesh.
Sean98
AG
The good news is they are harvesting a lot of corn here locally now. That is a lot less places for whitetails to hide!
Lungblood
Eating corn gives me gas... My truck feels the same way.
Lungblood
Just got home and I'm beat so here's the short version of my quick hitter trip back to the Weminuche.

Snowed fom noon til 4.30pm on fri... About 4 inches. Day before was warm. Called a nice bull into 45 yards but couldn't get a shot

The carnage

My clothes were actually frozen to the floor when I woke up yesterday morning.

Dusky grouse beats the hell outta mountain house.

aggiesq
AG
how high up was the snow?
ursusguy
AG
I know the Flat Tops are still waiting for their first snow of the year.

Met up with one of the cousins I'm hunting with in a couple weeks (headed to Colorado on the 19th), and figured out group gear....did that yesterday. It'll be the 19th before I know it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.