Outdoors
Sponsored by

2016 Elk Hunting Thread

95,957 Views | 726 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyForNow
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Central Committee said:

Awesome result!

I've read your story a couple of times and I have a question. If you're only comfortable out to about 400 why even attempt a 600+ or 800+ shot in that situation? It sounds like they were out in the open, so losing them wasn't an issue. And then they responded so well to a call. What was the thought process by your guide here?
Ergo97
AG
Awesome elk! Congrats.

You guys are making me miss Colorado. Will be back for skiing this year with children.
Central Committee
AG
AgLA06 said:

Awesome result!

I've read your story a couple of times and I have a question. If you're only comfortable out to about 400 why even attempt a 600+ or 800+ shot in that situation? It sounds like they were out in the open, so losing them wasn't an issue. And then they responded so well to a call. What was the thought process by your guide here?
It was a tough decision. I asked the guide what the chances were of getting him closer with a call. He said it was possible, but less likely due to the large number of cows with him. This was supported by the fact that the large bull did not respond to the calls and only came toward us when the young bulls came up.

My thought was that since the elk had not been shot at before this season, the likelihood of them running off was low. I have hit paper targets at 600 before, but only off a bench. Honestly the most likely cause of my missed shots was buck fever. The only bad shot was the very first shot into the sun, which was probably a bad call by the guide, but I should have said no. That said, I thought the guide did a really good job overall, and he seemed to really know the area and what he was doing.

In my opinion the hunt takes a lot of skill, but some of it is also simple luck. There was another hunter on the ranch about a mile away hunting with a pistol. He has far more skill than I do, and he ended up with a much smaller bull.
mneisch
AG
Headed west of Steamboat in exactly one week with an either sex tag for first rifle season. Can't wait to chase elk for the first time. It will be an unguided hunt on private land.
NW80
AG
Nice Bull.
Lungblood
Sorry for your loss. Nice bull and a great way to make good memories with the old man.
schmellba99
AG
Beautiful 6x6, great story too. Love reading these!
Log
AG
Go time.

9 miles of pain and ecstasy starts now.
Lungblood
Smoke em
tmaggie50
AG
Friday of next week, first rifle season will begin and I'll be eating lunch somewhere on a ridge
tmaggie50
AG
Is the orange vest and hat allowed to have a small logo on it? Hard to find a company that doesn't put its logo on them. Most have a small design on them as well.
Lungblood
You are way too detail oriented. There, I said it.
tmaggie50
AG
Lungblood said:

AgLA06
AG
Lungblood said:

Reminds me of the engineer type that never have a finished product because all they want to do is improve it. Could have made millions, but never gets to market because it doesn't meet their standards.

GO HUNT!
Lungblood
Don't forget toilet paper. Unscented, thick n cushiony... 10 squares per dump. Make it 12... Whoop! Aw hell, overly Aggie.
GottaRide
S
Got the boy on the board.
shaynew1
AG
Love seeing everyone's pictures.

Doesn't look like I'm going to get to go back up for my dads rifle hunt. My watch is still set on mountain time.
GottaRide
S
It was rough packing out the boy's cow.

We have been able to get a tractor to every elk I have killed. Sometimes it has gotten a little western but we have managed. Some of you hate me, I know!
ursusguy
AG
Ahhh, that moment the Colorado OTC bull tag happens to get to the house before I did.

My wife knew how much it cost, just didn't quite register until she happened to actually see it.
tmaggie50
AG
Flight is at 10:30. Flying to Denver today and driving to Fort Collins. We pack in Thursday and are on the mountain from Thursday to Thursday. Really looking forward to the experience
Lungblood
Good luck
Central Committee
AG
Good luck. I never hunted CO but hope to some day.
Log
AG
Saturday evening

6x6 bull that is bugling

50 yards

Broadside

Crosshairs on shoulder

Pull trigger

POP! (Primer)

No BANG!

Misfire

Bull runs off

Only had one other bull in range, but it was thick timber and I could only see his butt before he winded or heard me. They bugled Saturday and Sunday, but shut up starting Monday. At that point it's like looking for a needle in pick-up-sticks, aka deadfall dark timber nasty deep canyons.

I'm probably down 10 lbs at least.

First misfire I've ever had as well. I'm beginning to think I'm snakebit when it comes to elk, since this is now the 4th time I've had some little thing ruin a gimme shot.
shaynew1
shaynew1
AG
Dang man that really really sucks.
aggiesq
AG
that does suck.

its happened to me on deer, but its gotta be worse with elk
stdeb11
AG
That sucks...hopefully you get another shot
Central Committee
AG
My wife posted a picture of the elk I shot (see above) on Facebook. A distant relative (not by blood) posted this:

"That Elk had the same right to live like you all and you all are happy and celebrating are you all starving for food to kill this beautiful Animal???"

My wife asked me how I intended to respond. I said I would not respond because once a person is that far over the edge, there is no getting through.
Caddis Black Angus
AG
I shot a nice bull in New Mexico unit 37 last Friday. The weather has been wetter than normal this year. The bulls were still bugling everyday and fairly easy to pinpoint due to bugles and bull fights. My bull came down the mountain bugling all the way and into the open with a group of cows. Rifle shot was only 100 yards. Can anyone post the pics for me? I don't know how to post them. Thank you in advance.
Log
AG
I'm assuming you were hunting in the Capitans? Public or private?
Caddis Black Angus
AG
Correct I hunted the Capitans. My buddy sold his ranch in Rocksprings, TX about 7 years ago and bought a ranch just outside of Lincoln. Yes it was a private land tag used for my bull.
Central Committee
AG
ag-hunt94 said:

Correct I hunted the Capitans. My buddy sold his ranch in Rocksprings, TX about 7 years ago and bought a ranch just outside of Lincoln. Yes it was a private land tag used for my bull.
Beautiful area. Congratulations. Can't wait to see the pictures.
mneisch
AG
Bull down on opening morning. Pictures to come. I'm physically exhausted and filthy.
aggiesq
AG
Location ?
mneisch
AG
West of Steamboat, closest town is Milner.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.