Outdoors
Sponsored by

2016 Elk Hunting Thread

95,923 Views | 726 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyForNow
AgLA06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
What sort of FirstAid stuffs do you guys carry on a daily basis?

I'm packing a travel first aid kit (vehicle) and added some additional stuff like pain meds, prescriptions, benadryl, quick clot, tourniquet, moleskin, emergency space blanket, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B013EBQQUY/ref=sxts1_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1472066278&sr=1
stdeb11
AG
Moleskin, about 4 benadryl and 10 ibuprofen, a little gauze, little bit of tape, needle, thread, couple of band aids, about 3ft of stretch wrap stuff, small tube of super glue, small tube of neosporin and a couple of the pre-packaged lens wipes for disinfecting (alcohol).

Outside of the stretch wrap, neosporin, and super glue it all jams into a little container no bigger than a small wallet. Anything I can't patch up with those things is beyond what I could fix in the backcountry and would require someone who knows what they're doing.
arrow
AG
Only thing I can add to the above is I typically take a small tube of Gold Bond Anti-Itch Ointment. I've never used it. I think I originally put it in there for the possibility of chafing.

Speaking of first aid, I'm reminded of a story my instructor told during bowhunter education. A couple of guys were backcountry bowhunting walking single file. The guy in the front was acting as a guide, the guy in the back was holding his bow with an arrow nocked. The guide stops suddenly as if he's spotted an animal, the hunter collides with him putting a broadhead through the guides back. The guide bled out on the trail.

I'm not sure if this story is true, but it has stuck with me for years now. Y'all be careful with sharp things in the middle of nowhere.
arrow
AG
Sean98
AG
quote:
I'm not sure if this story is true, but it has stuck with me for years now. Y'all be careful with sharp things in the middle of nowhere.
On my first mule deer hunting trip I was crawling up on some bucks in a big bowl. A friend was directly behind me, he was going to crawl halfway with me, then stop and be my eyes as I got closer. When we got to his stopping point I realized I didn't have my windicator bottle so I asked him to grab it for me so I didn't have to drop my pack yet. He said he couldn't get in the pocket because of a strap so I told him to undo it and then snap it back. He undid it, handed me my windicator and off I went... turns out he never re-snapped the strap.

Also turns out that strap was for my hip quiver... which, as I continued to crawl slowly worked it's way around my body and between my legs. As I made my next move I felt slicing and a very warm feeling on my inner thigh... my broadhead was slightly exposed, and a razor sharp edge sliced through my pants, through my boxer briefs and through my leg, but thankfully only about 1/4" deep. 5" of super clean slice. It bled. A Lot.

Ultimately with some quick clot and some compression I got it stopped and even continued the stalk (probably 20ish minutes later). slightly deeper or slightly different spot and it could have been a bad ending. That said, it would have been a beautiful place to die.

arrow
AG
Damn. Maybe I should add some quick clot to my kit. That's a scary story.
Lungblood
Quick clot, super glue, duct tape, drugs, sat phone
stdeb11
AG
Well thanks to you guys my pack got heavier as I ordered some quick clot and decided to toss in an Israeli bandage and sam splint. I'll have to go back thru and update my med kit accordingly this weekend...The thought of bleeding out based upon y'alls stories made me re-think it.
AgLA06
AG
First Aid and food/fuel supply are the two areas I won't skimp. Especially being as isolated as I'll be this October. You have to be capable of hanging on for a couple of hours on your own for first aid and be prepared to be snowed in a couple extra days for food and warmth.
shaynew1
AG
Headed out. Good luck everyone.
stdeb11
AG
For me medkit/emergency supplies are up to each at where you draw the line. For me it's "if someone had to patch me up using only what I've got, would i be happy with it?" I was pretty happy with my previous kit. Granted I never thought twice of the dangers of carrying a bunch of sharp sticks around nor had I heard of Quik Clot...

I've went out with people who don't carry much more than a bandaid and some tape and I've been out with people who carry a whole Walgreens. To me, both of them weren't smart about what they carried but if they were comfortable with it, then it's their deal.
Lungblood
Good luck Shay. Damn, I'm Elk Horney.
Sean98
AG
quote:
For me medkit/emergency supplies are up to each at where you draw the line. For me it's "if someone had to patch me up using only what I've got, would i be happy with it?" I was pretty happy with my previous kit. Granted I never thought twice of the dangers of carrying a bunch of sharp sticks around nor had I heard of Quik Clot...

I've went out with people who don't carry much more than a bandaid and some tape and I've been out with people who carry a whole Walgreens. To me, both of them weren't smart about what they carried but if they were comfortable with it, then it's their deal.
Agreed. The reality is you just can't carry everything you might need in any situation. But you should have the things you could use over a fairly broad range of normal situations. I'm a trekking pole dork, so that can be used as a split/crutch to some extent. But I want to be able to stop bleeding. Plus I staple dogs and myself quite often, so I have a stapler. My human kit and my dog kit are almost interchangeable. Vet Wrap, neosporin, bandages, staples, quick clot, Hemostats. That'll do for most things.
Lungblood
I need to head out soooooon.... Spending like a drunken sailor. AA is killin me (Amazon $ Academy).
Sean98
AG
quote:
I need to head out soooooon.... Spending like a drunken sailor. AA is killin me (Amazon $ Academy).

Yo tambien
ursusguy
AG
We'll have a decent med kit at camp, then I'll be carrying a lightweight backpacking first aid kit in my day pack. One thing for sure, I'll have an emergency blanket bivy sack.
Lungblood
The good old E-blanket/bivy. I never leave home without one. I've used them more than once and was damn glad to have em.
arrow
AG
Getting rained on in Lubbock waiting on hunting buddy #1. Hunting buddy #2 is holed up in a sleet storm on the mountain after glassing some good muley bucks to bed.
shaynew1
AG
Just hit raton and am letting one of these other clowns drive
Kalebcs
I love getting to Raton. That's when I know it's real.
stdeb11
AG
Snowin' on Raton?
stdeb11
AG
Anyone planning on hunting unit 15 might be interested in the recent fires up there....I think i'll still be heading up to unit 15 next weekend. Anyone know how these affect the elk? Other than in that surrounding area they'll probably be moving on. It does kinda affect one of my back up areas, but oh well.

Unit 15 fire
Lungblood
Ohhh baby

AgEng06
Lungblood
If I was a bull elk... 8/10... WB.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
If I was a bull elk... 8/10... WB.

He must be an ass man.
Sean98
AG
quote:

He dead yet?
Sean98
AG
12 days til westward departure...

Clothes are washed, packing has begun. This is the stressful part to me. What have I forgotten. Did I pack too much? Not enough?

14 days of sweaty climbs with no shower = lots of clothes. Frosty mornings and blazing afternoon sun = lots of layering up and stripping down.

I've made so many lists at this point the dogs are feeling neglected so Charlie got them off the coffee table last night and turned them into confetti.
Sean98
AG
I have spent all day washing, line drying, and vacuum packing my clothing for the trip. It really helps save on space, keeps things dry, and helps avoid any unnecessary aromas.

The clothes on the table in my past from this morning filled up an entire tote before I sealed them. Now they fill up 2/3 and I have room for boots, socks, gloves, etc.

Feeling just a tiny bit more organized now.
ursusguy
AG
I leave on Oct. 19, I'll start pack sometime on the 18th.......me and travelling drives my wife nuts.
Sean98
AG
That'll leave you plenty of time to drive to the local Allsups and get all your food for the week as well.
ursusguy
AG
Those burritos are pretty awesome.
Sean98
AG
Agreed, but take some wet wipes.
AgEng06
AG
Found this article, and it appears to be a pretty good article/resource for planning your backcountry gear list...

http://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/the-ultimate-backcountry-hunting-gear-list-breakdown
Lungblood
I'm at that point where I'm not taking any more advice... Not listening to podcasts or reading articles. It's time to do sht.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.