Outdoors
Sponsored by

2016 Elk Hunting Thread

95,938 Views | 726 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyForNow
Sean98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG

...but seriously, congrats!!

(Ha! Split by the page break! Those were supposed to appear back to back so you knew it was (mostly) a joke.)
La Fours
AG
That's awesome. Congrats!!
GatorAg03
AG
Nice bull! Congrats
agingcowboy
AG
Beautiful bull!! Congrats!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Central Committee
AG
Beautiful. Exhilarating is the word!

Congratulations.
AgLA06
AG
Just checking in now that I have reception. I got my first bull in the Flat Tops Wilderness in Northwest Colorado!!!

We're driving through back to Houston so I'll try to post the story when I get back. Awesome experience in a drop camp in a huge bowl next to an Alpine lake at 10,250'.
shaynew1
AG
There were a few posters headed to flat tops for rifle weren't there?
Lungblood
AgLA06
AG
shaynew1 said:

There were a few posters headed to flat tops for rifle weren't there?

Ursus was still up top when we left. They were pulling us all out of the field one group at a time due to a snow storm approaching. I think I heard someone in his group got a bull, but I don't know if it was him.
Log
AG
It's not real elk hunting if they just walk in front of you and you can drive a UTV up to where they fell. Needs more deadfall and steepness.
ursusguy
AG
I heard you got a bull, and had an interesting time up there.
We got packed out LATE, hince my playing on the OB at 3:30/4:30 AM in Denver. My two cousins and I ALL agreed that pack out was the single most elongated a-- pucker event in our lives (and one cousin was a Marine who served multiple tours to Iraq). After the pack in, we agreed that we were going to tell the wranglers were were going to walk the horses the first 400 yards of the trail off the top (we were at 11,200), well the wranglers show up and say "the trail is pretty sh----, we should probably walk the horses down the first 2 major drops". We'll just say that apparently horses don't like to walk in snow if they can see a dirt "trail". Well said "trail" was 6"-foot on edge of a 500 foot dropoff. Now consider much of the trail through this section was either mud, ice, or both. I nearly went over once, horses nearly went off.

It made for an exciting time to wrap up an amazing week. Yes, I did kill a bull on Tuesday. My cousins elected to let me take the first shot on 25th as it would have been my dad's 67th birthday, and he was excited as hell about this hunt.

We hiked a LOT of country (we did 10-16 miles a day), some well over 12,000 feet. We saw a fair number of elk, and for public land, we only saw 4 other hunters all week.....wilderness area, so nothing motorized.

I'll write up a full report later. Still debating with myself over what pictures to put up.
GottaRide
AgEng06
AG
Congrats guys
bkf0005
Log
AG
Sweet!
arrow
AgLA06
AG
Awesome! I'll give you a shout in the next couple of days to catch up. I'm about 2 hours from home myself hoping to get some sleep.
ursusguy
AG
So about 10 miles from the Colorado/Oklahoma border, I got stopped by a Colorado Wildlife Officer. I passed with flying colors, and the wildlife portion was very professional. Then he gave me some joking wisecrack about not being used to seeing an elk in the back of a Honda Ridgeline. But he also appreciated my attempts at being discreet. If you are looking for elk antlers (like him), it screams elk antlers. If not, it looks like I'm doing 85 (thankfully he didn't mention) with granny's rocking chair in back.

By the way SE Colorado bored the piss out of me, but the Oklahoma panhandle was kinda nice. Now on to Amarillo to see if I can find the game.
OnlyForNow
AG
You're doing it wrong.

Go through Raton and then to Texline. Not through OK.

Glad you got an elk though.
ursusguy
AG
That's how I went up, and wanted to see something new.
Lungblood
Texline is beautiful this time of year. Congrats on your Bull.

Legett79
AG

Reporting in. Bow hunted southern Idaho September with a buddy and my son. Several close encounters but never could finish the deal. Home for a week, then headed to the Uinta Mountains for general rifle season. Opening morning at first light called in this bull for a friend on his first elk hunt. He got a little excited and pulled the shot. I helped him out and put one where it counts. He fell right there. Only about a mile pack out, but with two of us it took most of the day.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sean98
AG
Stop it! Just stop it!!

Everytime this gets bumped all I remember is misery, pain, a wrecked truck and a lost Aggie Ring!!!
Sean98
AG
Congrats on the kill!
Tom Doniphon
Fk the elk.
Lungblood
Nice bull
Sean98
AG
ursusguy said:

I'll write up a full report later. Still debating with myself over what pictures to put up.
I've been home 5 weeks and still haven't put up any pictures. I haven't even looked at them since I've gotten back. I should probably do that but I'm still curled in a fetal position on the couch eating ice cream and crying myself to sleep each night.
Texmid
AG
Nice bull. That really is a great feeling after shooting an elk.
Lungblood
Texmid said:

I'm gonna twist some nipples farmer Fran style when I pop my elk cherry... Probably put it on the Internet.
shaynew1
AG
Lungblood said:

Texmid said:

I'm gonna twist some nipples farmer Fran style when I pop my elk cherry... Probably put it on the Internet.

It's terrifying and erotic at the same time
ursusguy
AG
For the record on this trip, between the 3 of us--grass, cardboard, spruce cones (personal favorite), snow and a random leather glove got tried out.

One cousin, we'll call him the rich one (not really a stretch) discovered how luxurious an e-tool is as a shi---- seat. The look on his face when he got desperate, and realized he was about to go wipe with a wad of semi-frozen grass was priceless.

How full of a report do y'all want on the latest testing? ;-)
shaynew1
AG
How does a glove get the axe before the top half of a sock
ursusguy
AG
Some random glove (been in my pack for about 3 years) vs expensive wool socks. I'm cheap, I've never cut up clothes, there are always alternatives.
shaynew1
AG
...did you keep the glove?
shaynew1
AG
Dang I love this thread

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.