Outdoors
Sponsored by

2016 Elk Hunting Thread

95,947 Views | 726 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyForNow
OnlyForNow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Brah! let me send you a wunderground link to the old pass! It's set at 10,100 feet elevation and was great (when I had reception). email me
tmaggie50
AG
What do y'all use for your waterproof layers?
How about your outermost insulation layer?
stdeb11
AG
Well, headed out in the morning. Was hoping to leave by now, but still stuck at work.

Waterproof: Gamehide Journey Pants and Jacket (previously my motorcycle frogg toggs and a columbia rain jacket)
Outermost insulation layer: Gamehide Journey Jacket (previously rain jacket).

Got a deal on Craigslist on all the gamehide stuff and have been impressed with it..
ursusguy
AG
Considering that when I was with TPWD, I had dial-up up until 3 years ago, I can only imagine what NGDGF has. I know one of their conservation officers only had internet about 2 days out of the week when he would go into town.....Yes, Austin and Albuquerque have better computers systems than field staff, but figure on them being 5-8 years behind on technology. Several times I got "new" electronic devices that were no longer supported.
ursusguy
AG
Rivers West Hydrofleece jacket....though I may trade that out, it is 9 years old. Great in wind, but a little suspect on rain. Most of the time I'll be wearing a polypro t-shirt and North Face wind vest. I have some LL Bean rain pants that will be in my pack, but for the most part will wear my old school wool pants.
Sean98
AG
quote:

IMO your outer layer doesn't need to be warm. It needs to be wind proof.

Most of my gear is Core4. I have their Element shell and them I layer fleece and/or puffy underlayers. Down is great stuff.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
quote:

IMO your outer layer doesn't need to be warm. It needs to be wind proof.

Most of my gear is Core4. I have their Element shell and them I layer fleece and/or puffy underlayers. Down is great stuff.

I can't figure out the right amount of weight for my pants. At first I was worried about being cold so I was going to get some Wooltimate pants from Cabela's with the wind stopper. I ordered a jacket first to see because it was on sale, but now I think that will be too heavy and I'll sweat to death hiking between glassing points. Especially with base layers on.

Thoughts? I'll be at 11,000' so it will be cold as hell, but I'm just not sure.
Sean98
AG
If you want heavy pants get them 1-2 sizes bigger, pack them from spot to spot and put them on to glass when you get there. When you're moving your legs will be plenty warm.
Sean98
AG
I'm fighting the urge to unpack all of my totes and repack each of them just to ease the "what did I forget? I think I packed that... Did I pack that?" panic that is setting in.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
I'm fighting the urge to unpack all of my totes and repack each of them just to ease the "what did I forget? I think I packed that... Did I pack that?" panic that is setting in.

That means you're ready to go. Do you have a means for food, water, emergency survival/first aid, warmth, and a means to kill? I'm guessing so, everything else is just convenience.
OnlyForNow
AG
Sean, you've got mail...
AgLA06
AG
quote:
If you want heavy pants get them 1-2 sizes bigger, pack them from spot to spot and put them on to glass when you get there. When you're moving your legs will be plenty warm.

I guess I'm just looking for guidance from you guys with more experience.

I'll have a pair of lightweight and a pair of midweight fleece pants from Cabela's to go with a pair each of midweight and heavy weight merino base layers. Is that enough for 11,000' of elevation in Northwest Colorado the last week of October?

Based on closest Wunderground location at 8,700' elevation average temps are 54H/20L. So I'm guessing probably 40H/10L at 11,000' with 0 at night possible with a front. I'm probably over thinking this, but I don't want to be a popsicle for a week after they drop our buts off 10 miles deep in the middle of a Wilderness area. I also, don't want to limit my ability to hunt.
Sean98
AG
I've never hunted that late on the mountain so I'll defer to others. Do you have good rain gear? Good raingear is usually pretty wind-proof and fleece under raingear makes a helluva difference.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
I've never hunted that late on the mountain so I'll defer to others. Do you have good rain gear? Good raingear is usually pretty wind-proof and fleece under raingear makes a helluva difference.

I think I do. I was able to catch Cabela's rain suede rain gear on a big sale in March so I bought a set. They had good reviews and seemed solid.
ursusguy
AG
Keep in mind, if it is sunny between 10-40 degrees, you will be baking. Pretty much regardless of what you are wearing. Once the sun disappears, whole different ballgame.

I fully expect to be baking the first weekish, and out running a blizzard some time in the second half.

Half joking---You may see me in lightweight polypro thermals (top and bottoms), with a Columbia cool tech t-shirt, nylon cargo shorts, North Face wind vest, rag wool socks and grippy sandals...and of course, glowing orange hat and vest. I say half joking but that used to pretty well be my attire when moving in sunlight down to about -10 (minus the sandals, that is a joke, I am not a hippy). Keeping some warmer layers in the pack for when needed.

Figure about a 5 degree decrease for every 1000 feet.
chuckr70
AG
Gaiters are good in the snow to stay dry.
Sean98
AG
... And in wet grass
aggiesq
AG
quote:
quote:

I guess I'm just looking for guidance from you guys with more experience.

I'll have a pair of lightweight and a pair of midweight fleece pants from Cabela's to go with a pair each of midweight and heavy weight merino base layers. Is that enough for 11,000' of elevation in Northwest Colorado the last week of October?

Based on closest Wunderground location at 8,700' elevation average temps are 54H/20L. So I'm guessing probably 40H/10L at 11,000' with 0 at night possible with a front. I'm probably over thinking this, but I don't want to be a popsicle for a week after they drop our buts off 10 miles deep in the middle of a Wilderness area. I also, don't want to limit my ability to hunt.
where are you headed?

n/m. i see NW Co.

note to self - coffee before posting

ursusguy
AG
Unit 24 east of Meeker.
Sean98
AG
stdeb11
AG
Got into them this weekend. Had a calf/yearling come in to 7yds Saturday morning, but we passed. Was small, really skinny (could see ribs), and had a bum foot. Just didn't look healthy.

Bugled back and forth with a bull Saturday evening as we chased him back up the ridge but he was always one step ahead (about 100yds). In hindsight, I realize our error and now know where they going to and coming from. Made some locating errors Sunday morning and never could get to the ones we heard before they shut down.

They're talking much more than they were last weekend and the ones we found seemed to have rounded up a few cows already. Good luck to everyone out there....A week and half of work, and then back out for 6 days this next time
Lungblood
Well, my elk trip into the Weminuche was sort of a let down from the hunt perspective, but still an awesome experience all around.

I left the TH Thurs morn 9/1 around 10.30 mountain time. The plan was to hike in 5 miles, then hit a relatively small canyon about a mile off the main trail. I've been in this canyon twice before and seen elk both times, back in late May over Memorial Day weekend and on last year's hunt in early sept.

I was on a skinny, broken cow trail moving pretty slowly towards the mouth of the canyon with a decent wind. I was Prob only a quarter mile off the main trail at this point. It was around 2.30pm when I heard two "cracks" kinda to my left and almost behind me. Before I turned I nocked an arrow then spun around to see a cow at roughly 30 yards. She knew something was up but she hadn't winded me yet and it appeared she had no good visual on me either (the Sitka Open Country Optifade has been great in close quarters on more than 1 occasion).

I think we were both a bit confused as it all happened pretty fast (don't it always happen that way?). Since my tag was either sex and it's backcountry solo archery, I had made the decision to take the opportunity to kill any legal elk. With no time for the range finder, I started to draw at the broadside cow. As I came to full draw I realized I could clearly see her hip, neck and head... But there was brush covering her vitals... Too thick to even consider. She figured it out soon enough and that was that. After she split, I ranged the brush at 31 yards. Needless to say, I was pretty fired up with this encounter in the 4th hour of my trip.

Unfortunately, That's when things started kinda going south. I continued down the trail and soon saw 2 other hunters making their way to the same spot I was after.

Long story short, I saw no more elk in that area (9500ft).

The weather then sucked pretty hard for the first 4 days (constant rain) and game was sparse. I headed to the high country (11,600 was my peak) on day 2 where I saw lots of good sign but no elk and more rain.

I did get to see 3 bull moose, which is always cool. Seen moose all 3 times I've hunted this area.

Bull Moose @ 150 yards... Pic taken with my iPhone.

Had a calf almost run me over one afternoon while I was having lunch, saw the ass end of another cow in heavy timber as she fled, then saw 2 bulls way above me on the last day... A raghorn and a shooter. Heard Bulls bugling up high at 3.15pm the day before I left, and at 2.15 pm the last day. Got no response to calling during entire trip.

After day 7 I decided to pack up and head to New Mexico GMU 30, where I drew a deer tag. Saw some deer, got a little sunburned and nearly stepped on a rattler on my way out.

I've never seen southern NM this lush this time of year... Climate change no doubt.

It's prob crazy but I've decided to head back to CO next week for a quick hitter. Gonna leave WEd afternoon so I can hunt thurs, fri, sat.

stdeb11
AG
Welp, as of yesterday afternoon. The area I've been hunting/wanted to hunt is closed due to the fire. So back to the drawing board tonight! Hopefully my game cam, I mean "Property of CU Biology" game camera doesn't burn up if it continues to grow...
aggiesq
AG
cool pics

what trailhead did you leave from? we're headed there rifle season 2
Lungblood
Williams Creek
schmellba99
AG
I am heading out tomorrow for my Texas elk hunt. I am pretty stoked about it. Will be rifle hunting as usual. Colorado elk hunt was just confirmed, mid October so hopefully the bulls are still good and horny by then.
aggiesq
AG
Where's the fire ?
stdeb11
AG
Silver Creek Fire in Unit 15. Closed down most of the Sarvis creek trail
Lungblood
Scenic little shot off the main trail about 6 miles in

Wild raspberries... They're fuggin delicious

Sleet on my tarp after a night at 11,600... Stormed hard that night from 3 til daylight

Log
AG
Do you know if that is a beetle kill or old burn?
Lungblood
It's all beetle kill. The majority of the Weminuche I've seen looks like this. The old growth timber takes it hard... I'd guess 75% kill rate. It doesn't seem to affect new growth at all or even the intermediate trees... But most of the old growth is dead or dying and there are defintely more pockets of open space, just since last year.

I asked about it in greater detail at the NFS office back in May and they basically said it Prob won't have a huge effect in our lifetime. There's a metric crap ton of fuel in the WWA.
stdeb11
AG
Love some wild raspberries. Them and huckleberries are great little treats to find on a trip! Good luck on the next trip out!
Kalebcs
Headed out! Bring on the 18+ hrs of driving!
https://m.imgur.com/gallery/4B2qr
AgEng06
AG
Good luck!
Lungblood
Good luck

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.