Outdoors
Sponsored by

2016 Elk Hunting Thread

95,963 Views | 726 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyForNow
Log
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Headed out tomorrow for MZ elk in the Pecos. Hope they are bugling, since I could have killed multiple bulls on the other trips I've made there; they were just slightly out of archery range or I missed the shot. Weather is supposed to cooperate as well.
Lungblood
Log with the smokepole = Elk meat... 75% confidence level.
montanagriz
S
Im headed to unit 74 for 2nd rifle season. Hunting alone and backcountry....what sleeping mat would you recommend that is 100 dollars or less? Need something that doesnt take up much space in my pack
Log
AG
I got the Klymit Static V Lite based on Lungblood's suggestion. We'll see how it works. ~$94 off of Amazon.
stdeb11
AG
I've got the regular Kylmit Static V Insulated and it's been bombproof so far with probably about 40 nights on it over 2 years...from Lungblood the lite is supposed to be just as good, but shave some weight.
Lungblood
Pull the trigger. You won't regret it.
tmaggie50
AG
What is talks experience with down insulated (puffer) jackets? Are they the real deal? How many grams of material do you need for below 40 weather?

Anyone have experience with Kuiu DCS guide jacket? How about the peloton 240 hoodie?
Lungblood
Layers, man... Layers. I have a Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody Puffy jacket with primaloft. It's the tits and you can cram it into a pack with ease. Wore it in the snow over Memorial Day and the snow less than 2 weeks ago.
montanagriz
S
Thanks i will check it out!
montanagriz
S
Thanks i will check it out!
montanagriz
S
Bought!
tmaggie50
AG
Lungblood said:

Layers, man... Layers. I have a Sitka Kelvin Lite Hoody Puffy jacket with primaloft. It's the tits and you can cram it into a pack with ease. Wore it in the snow over Memorial Day and the snow less than 2 weeks ago.
What did you have under it?

Right now this is my upper body layering:

Thermal
First Lite Llano 170g Merino
First Lite Chama Hoody 230g Merino

My problem is never having been in the mountains other than to ski...wearing ski clothes, I dont know what the actual performance is of a 230g Merino wool, or 60-80g puffer jacket. I not have anything to correlate that to since I dont have the experience with it.

I assume I need a puffer jacket for insulation, a tougher material jacket, and rain gear.
Lungblood
In the snow, My layers were short sleeve merino wool tee, long sleeve Sitka tee (synthetic) kelvin lite vest, puffy jacket and Sitka cloudburst rain jacket.
AgLA06
AG
Lungblood said:

In the snow, My layers were short sleeve merino wool tee, long sleeve Sitka tee (synthetic) kelvin lite vest, puffy jacket and Sitka cloudburst rain jacket.

Jesus. I'd die of heat stroke even if it zero degrees.
shaynew1
AG
I had 3 layers of merino and a puffy in mid 30s to 40s and I was happy. After this year I'm a believer in the merino.

Lungblood
I had about a 50 degree temp swing in less than 24 hours and I'm pretty cold natured til i get settled in, or get into game.
AgEng06
AG
montanagriz said:

Bought!

Uncompahgre or gtfo

Just kidding, the Sitka puffy will serve you well.
Lungblood
I think he bought the klymit lite sleep pad
AgEng06
AG
Ah, you're right. I got the posters and their questions mixed up.

Sorry about that montanagriz. Carry on.
stdeb11
AG
As other said, layers...down to freezing and dry, the most I wore was a long sleeve T shirt, down vest, and occasionally a light pullover. And I shed those quick once the sun came up.

When it started snowing and I was sitting I wore a long sleeve t shirt, down vest, fleece, and then my rain shell and stayed warm. Moving around, I generally ditched the fleece. A down jacket or vest is awesome warmth for the pack size

I guess I'm in the minority on the merino wool. Bought a merino wool t-shirt and wasn't that impressed. If anything I regret spending that much on a shirt.
shaynew1
AG
Merely the lack of man stink was enough to sell me
stdeb11
AG
I had read that about the stink, but if anything I thought I smelled worse with merino. Maybe I'm just weird. Maybe my shirt was defective, but it had great Amazon reviews...
shaynew1
AG
Dang man sorry to hear that you didn't like it. I loved mine and put it to the extreme stank test.
Lungblood
I really like the performance (even when wet) but I question its durability. It seems too "flimsy" for the price.
arrow
AG
I've had some merino blends that smelled horrible when wet with sweat. Like a wet dog rolled on a dead rat kind of smell. The 100% stuff is great for no stink and warm when wet. Durability can be an issue though which is why so many companies blend it.

Given it was impossible to stay completely dry on my last trip and the sun wasn't out much, the First Lite base layers I was wearing were worth every penny.
stdeb11
AG
Maybe mine was some kind of blend, because I felt like I smelled like a wet dog. The tags read 100% Merino wool, but maybe they lied. Either way, gave it a shot and only lasted about two days in the shirt before I decided it stank too much.
arrow
AG
That sucks. I tried a polygiene shirt from Outdoor Research and it smelled awful after one work-out, but I've read reviews claiming it's a merino killer. Maybe certain people and certain materials just don't mix.
stdeb11
AG
Possibly so. I've read stories about workout shirts/tech fabrics reeking. I've never had an issue with any of mine and I've been wearing the same 6 or 7 tech blend shirts 4-5 times as week for about 3 years now with no issues. Guess that's why it really surprised me about the merino wool.

Sorry Merino wool. It's not you, it's me...
Central Committee
AG
Harvested this 6x6 in Northwestern New Mexico this weekend, hunting with a really good guide. 382 yards, 3 degrees down-slope. Have to confess succumbing to buck fever and missing at 550 and 700 yards.

Waiting for final score, but preliminary was 320, plus or minus.

Lungblood
Woooo nice. I'm all elk Horney again
shaynew1
AG
Yes make w the elk talk ...we've devolved to fabric and BO.
Lungblood
Gawd dammit... You didn't harvest that bull, you killed that bull. Go kill some more game. The veggies will still be waiting on you when you get back.
Sean98
AG
shaynew1 said:

Elk don't talk. Ever. Never.
shaynew1
AG
Sean98 said:

shaynew1 said:

Elk don't talk. Ever. Never.

That SOB will primos lied to us all
Central Committee
AG
My dad and I hiked with our guide a few miles into the private ranch near the Zuni Mountains in western New Mexico, bordering the Navajo Reservation. It was a beautiful, clear morning about 40 degrees. I lost my mom about a month ago, so this hunt was good medicine for my dad and I. The ranch was wide-open, with a shallow valley bounded by small ridges and hills. There were no trees but some of the junipers on our ridge were 8 to 12 feet high. The guide spotted a small herd of elk about a 1200 yards away grazing in the valley, and we quietly moved through cover along a small ridge. I took a shot into the sun from 800 yards, which is well beyond my proven range of 350 yards. Fortunately these elk had not been shot at yet this year, and they only gingerly continued down the valley. The large bull was alone with about 15 cows and a few spikes.

The guide and I crawled the final 150 yards along the ridge through the brush to get a better shot. Missed a few more shots at about 600-750 yards shooting down into the valley, though the angle of the sun was better. The guide used a combination of cow/bull calls, and actually called in a few younger bulls to within 30 yards. I thought about taking the easy way out, but I am glad I didn't. I have gotten over buck fever for white tail deer years ago, but have to admit my hands were shaking quite a bit while stalking this elk.

The large bull started moving in toward us (likely to chase off the younger bulls). He and the cows came over a small ridge at about 425 yards, and I put the scope on him and waited for the cows to clear away. He was walking toward me to the right, but the angle was sufficient. The kill shot ended up being about 382 yards per my rangefinder. My shot was behind the shoulder a little higher than planned, but it was good enough to drop him where he stood. The guide quartered him in the field, and it did not hurt my feelings that we were able to take it out on a truck, and not have to pack it out.

We packed the quarters into some large coolers and Dad and I drove the head/antlers to a taxidermist in Llano to get a European mount made. We dropped off the meat at Miiller's in Llano to get steaks, dry/summer sausage, ground meat, brats, jerky... They estimated it would make 250 pounds of meat/sausage.

The guide was from Kiowa Outfitters out of Raton New Mexico. This was my second hunt with them, and I think they do a very good job, from planning the hunt to field dressing the animal. Hope to do a mule deer hunt with them in a few years.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.