Outdoors
Sponsored by

2016 Elk Hunting Thread

95,941 Views | 726 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyForNow
AckerlyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ordered mine yesterday.
Kalebcs
quote:
Ordered mine yesterday.

We have been pondering this for OTC archery Colorado. What is the benefit vs. just buying it when we show up? Do you still get the fishing license with it?
AckerlyAg
AG
Whenever you buy a Big Game license in Colorado, you get a one year fishing license with it regardless. I don't think it matters if you buy it online or at a DPW location.

I bought mine online because it was more convenient that way; now I don't have to stop and purchase one on my way up to hunt.
Kalebcs
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm appreciative that they started adding the fishing license. I don't think that was part of the deal in 2013. Last year was the first I heard of it.
Lungblood
Fish combo is relatively new.

I saw a metric crap ton of dusky grouse in my unit back at the end of May so I also bought a small game lic. They're so stupid, fat and delicious looking... I'm looking forward to eating a couple.

Buying otc tags early eliminates the bullsht. For instance, several years ago when my buddy and I tried to buy tags (after waiting in a slow line) the cashier tells us they don't accept cc for tags. We go to the next place and they do accept cc but my buddy's cc blocked the trans. Ain't nobody got time fo all dat.

Oddly enough, my cc comp called me that year 10 mins after I bought mine... They called me again last year the day I received it in mail and they just now left me a vm about this years trans.

Kalebcs
The grouse are delicious! We hunted around Kremmling once and there were so many that they were getting run over by ATVs.

My gracious, there are so many things I like about the mountains.
SanAntoneAg
AG
If a wapiti strolls up to one of my feeders in Edwards County this fall while i'm in the blind, it will be destined for the processor.
Sean98
AG
Back home from Indianapolis and I picked up a dozen beautiful new arrows on the way home. I shot and 40 arrows, then put another 20 through my backup bow. Man they shoot so different... I know I can kill with my Mathews but I sure hope nothing happens to my primary bow.
Sean98
AG
I may be at the point now where my hunt cannot possibly live up to my expectations. I'm riding out a rare 2016 rain this morning by inventory-ing gear, watching elk hunting shows and practicing my calling.

We are 4 weeks from the opener, and 6 weeks from my arrival on the mountain. ... It's going to be a loooong 40 days.
tmaggie50
AG
I started listening to "The Hunt Backcountry" Podcast and am enjoying. Primarily elk talk, gear, experiences, with some deer talk as well.

Anyone got other suggestions?
Sean98
AG
Gritty Bowmen. Particularly any where they are talking to Corey Jacobsen.
stdeb11
AG
Just picked up my OTC tag this morning. Definitely getting real. Going to hit the range and stretch out to 60yds today. Pumped to set a new pin.
Sean98
AG
I will say I think the dogs will be happy when this trip is over. A little too much ridiculous borderline elk noises coming out of dad these days for their liking.

Primos, Flextone, Rocky Mountain... ALL of their profit margins are up this quarter.
shaynew1
AG
I've made my contributions
Kalebcs
Which ones have you liked so far? I haven't been very good with any of the "dome" style diaphragms.
Sean98
AG
I'm not a big fan of the dome calls either. They seem to be very small which doesn't give me much flexibility. With any of the "plate" style calls I can move them forward or back to change the pitch a little, but with the dome they have to be VERY far forward to seat properly. I don't like that very much.

I mostly have Primos because it's what my local cabela's has on hand so I impulse bought. They are cut similar to my turkey calls so I'm used to them and like them quite a bit. I also have a couple of Rocky Mountain diaphragms. They seem a little more difficult to use to me but give me a lower pitch so it's a nice change of pace. I have a Rocky Mountain Temptress bite and blow too that I like.
AckerlyAg
AG
Which one is easier to use between the dome calls and the plate calls?

I have a few bugling bull dome calls and a few palate type calls but I've never tried a straight plate call before.

What bugle tube do you use too?
Sean98
AG
When I said "plate" I meant palate plate. So I'm assuming they're the same as yours.

I have one of the el cheapo Primos tubes, but it's better for making long range cow calls than it is actual bugles. I have a "Bugling Bull" bugle tube from Rocky Mountain. It's essentially a baffled megaphone. No internal reed. You have to use your diaphragm call.
AckerlyAg
AG
I guess you carry a variety of bugle tubes as well for different scenarios?

When I said "straight plate" diaphragm I meant the kind with no dome or plate over the latex, just the kind with a frame and latex. Sorry for the confusion but I saw one in your picture and I've never tried one so I was curious about the differences between them and a regular palate plate or dome call.
Sean98
AG
Ah, ok. Sorry, I misunderstood. Those calls are actually upside down. Most of the elk calls I've seen, unlike most turkey calls, actually have a little "plate" over the top side of the reed made out of the same material as the outer edges of the call. That sort of gauze tape type material. It's kind of a square flap that covers the top half of the reed of the call.

As for how many and what I carry.... beats me! I've never done this before! I'll definitely carry the bigger bugle. Don't know that I'll carry the Primos but it's small and light. I'm sure I'll change what I "think" I should have in my pack a few dozen times between now and Sept. 10.
AckerlyAg
AG
Oh I see. It's also my first time so I'm trying to gather up as much information as I can before I go!
Kalebcs
I really like the plate ones from Rocky Mountain. After practicing a lot over the past month, I believe 'The Remedy' will be in my mouth the most of the time. It is extremely versatile. 'The Herd Master' is my second favorite. It's a little more raspy and a lower tone, but can make some softer sounds. The 'Bugling Bull' tube makes all the difference in the world.
I will check in to some of the primos varieties now that you said they make a higher pitch. I feel like I am missing that really squeaky sounding calf/excited cow.
AggieCowboy
AG
I would suggest using your calls sparingly. Use a bugle for location then cow call. Don't call if you can see bull except to stop him. I've cow called bulls from 300 yards had them walk up to one hundred or so and look straight at me. When you do bugle use a whimpy one don't sound like the meanest sob on the mountain.
Sean98
AG
Good to hear because that is my general belief in pretty much all the animals I hunt. Calling too little is better than too much and NEVER call to an animal that is doing what you want him to do. Just let him do it.

For what it's worth I'll be hunting with another guy so we'll always be setting up/calling as a pair with the caller 50-75 yards behind the shooter.
Sean98
AG
Here's a question for the experienced elk hunters that I'm really struggling with...

I have 2 full weeks to bowhunt in a reasonably low pressure area. I have never bow hunted before not has the guy I'll be with. Another guy may join us for a week but he's only rifle hunted elk.

Should I shoot the first legal bull that gives me a shot? Or should I hold out for at least a good representative mature bull? My ego says wait believing in a decent bow hunter. ...but having never shot an elk before I sort of wonder if I shouldn't just get on the board...?
Tom Doniphon
Elk are funny animals. Shoot the first legal bull.
GottaRide
S
quote:
Elk are funny animals. Shoot the first legal bull.

This. I know many good bow hunters that live and hunt in good elk country but go years between killing one in fair chase situations. It just takes so much to make everything come together that you should not pass up any gift that comes to you.
Kalebcs
I'm shooting the first Wapiti that gives me a good shot. I've never harvested in elk. A respectable bull would be awesome and I'm not going to shoot a cow with a bull right behind her, but the meat is too delicious and the tag is too expensive to make passes for me.
agingcowboy
AG
quote:
Here's a question for the experienced elk hunters that I'm really struggling with...

I have 2 full weeks to bowhunt in a reasonably low pressure area. I have never bow hunted before not has the guy I'll be with. Another guy may join us for a week but he's only rifle hunted elk.

Should I shoot the first legal bull that gives me a shot? Or should I hold out for at least a good representative mature bull? My ego says wait believing in a decent bow hunter. ...but having never shot an elk before I sort of wonder if I shouldn't just get on the board...?
If you have 2 weeks to hunt, I'd at least give it a little time to see what the situation is...I wouldn't shoot the first legal bull 5 mins out of camp on the first day. Then you'll end up watching your buddies chase 350's all week

I'm not a big trophy hunter per se, but I like to shoot mature bulls. Granted I've gone 3 years in between bulls before being patient (stubborn) and I am OK with that. If you'd rather get on the score board early this year, there's always next year!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
agingcowboy
AG
I've been meaning to post here in response to the OP.

I didn't draw any tags this year, but lucky for me I am a Wyoming resident and can hunt right around my house with an over the counter tag. I'll be hunting mostly in the Greys River.

I'll start out during the archery season. I like the 2nd or 3rd week of September for bulls to start getting wound up enough to start calling. I have several areas where I usually get in to elk so I usually day hunt making 6-10 mile loops during the day. I nap under trees but get to sleep in my own bed at night. If I get into them thick I don't have a problem sleeping on the mountain as needed.

I hunt with a Bowtech Insanity CPXL with 80 lb limbs. I'll be using Deep Six Easton FMJ with 100 gr QAD Exodus broadheads.

My boots of choice are Kenetrek Mountain boots (non-insulated). I have about 300 miles on them so far and I really love them. The soles are nice and stiff and absorb a lot of shock which saves my worn out knees.

I use an Eberlestock Team Elk pack. I pack fairly light, but the pack is stout and can easily take an elk hind quarter in addition to all my gear. My heaviest load on the pack was about 140 pounds. The pack took it without complaint...I did not.

I carry an variety of cow elk calls that I use sparingly. I used to carry around a power bugle that sounds awesome to my ears. The elk don't seem to like it. I bugger things more than I help myself with a bugle. Especially since I usually hunt alone. I've stopped carrying it because the temptation to use it is too hard to overcome. I think group calling setups work pretty well and adding a bugle in the mix can up your odds.
There's a pretty good video by the Elk101 guys called University of Elk Hunting. I'd recommend it to anyone starting out elk hunting.

Hope everyone has a great season, I'll look forward to some awesome write ups this Fall!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AggieCowboy
AG
And That's the sixty four dollar question. Me personally with two weeks to hunt, I would be picky the first 5 days to a week. But What I always told my guests was don't pass a bull you would be happy shooting at the end of your hunt.
If you can get within a hundred yards or so of a herd bull and his cows, try ripping off a big bugle followed by a few estrus whines then some glunking. Almost always that herd bull will come running to you to stop the theft of some of his cows but you must be close and have the wind right. It's will get you a sight few see, a bull wide eyed slobber slinging looking to kick your but.
Edit:
Here is a great site for elk hunting ElkNut
TommyGun
AG
I didn't draw any special tags so I'll be hunting OTC in WY (also a resident). I'm planning to spend time in the Wyoming Range between La Barge and Middle Piney Creek. I'm falling behind on my scouting, so I'm anxious to get up in the mountains here in the next week or two and start working out some sort of gameplan for the season. My wife and I will also be targeting Mule Deer in the same areas, as well. Good luck to everyone!
Sean98
AG
quote:

I'm not a big trophy hunter per se, but I like to shoot mature bulls. Granted I've gone 3 years in between bulls before being patient (stubborn) and I am OK with that. If you'd rather get on the score board early this year, there's always next year!
I generally fall into this camp as well. At least with whitetails. I'd much rather shoot a gnarly 120" 6 year old deer than a 140" 3 year old. But I see them all the time. 60 days a year. So it's easy for me to pass good young whitetails.

5 years ago on my first mountain mule deer hunt I was pickier than I thought I'd be as well. Passed on a nice 3x4 on Day 1. Then struck out for a week and was ready to kill a chipmunk with toothpick antlers and ultimately ended up shooting a really mature 4x4. But again, I'd shot a mule deer before albeit with a rifle.

But this is my first elk trip ever. So I don't really know how I'll feel on the ground. I guess I'll "know" when I "know." I can't see myself shooting a (legal) raghorn in the first few days. Maybe not ever. but I certainly don't want to cut my hunt short and cheat myself out of 5-10 days of hunting. In theory I think I'd rather shoot a cow than a young bull if it gets late in the hunt. But if he screams in my face then he might get an arrow I suppose. I won't know until I unconsciously touch off the release.

In the meantime I play the "would I?" game with every TV show I watch.

In the back, No. In the front? Maybe if he yelled in my face?

Yes.

Ehhhh... ???

Oh HELL YES!

Log
AG
A little math here.

I've been elk hunting since 2002. I missed hunts in 2004, 2009 (the toe year), and last year. So 11 hunts, all at least a week long. In that time, I have had 4 total shots, each on separate hunts. One kill, one hit/loss (he survived, saw him later), and two misses. 4 total attempts out of 11 hunts. All were mature, but the difficultly and rarity of shot opportunities has me of the opinion that if you have a legal shot and aren't covered up with screaming bulls that offer potential shot opportunities on a daily basis, to take the first legal shot you are presented. Elk meat is extremely tasty, antlers not so much.
Sean98
AG
Post your elk picture again. I need motivation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.