Outdoors
Sponsored by

2016 Elk Hunting Thread

95,930 Views | 726 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyForNow
aggiesq
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Awesome. Congrats.
AgLA06
AG
mneisch said:

West of Steamboat, closest town is Milner.

Awesome! We'll be hunting about 30 miles SW of there next weekend.
mneisch
AG

He won't win any size awards, but I'm proud to have taken this bull. I started out the morning on this private ranch overlooking a watering hole and the surrounding valley. With about 45 minutes left before I was to leave to meet back at the 4 wheeler, I hear a cow call from a distance. I couldn't see them at first but I obviously knew there were elk nearby. After throwing up the binoculars and quickly glassing around, I spot a herd of 9 cows and calves followed by a legal bull with at least 5 points on one side. I watch them hop a fence from at least 1500 yards away and resign myself to the fact that I'll never be able to get close enough to them for a shot. They were moving deeper into the property fast and I was set up high on a far away ridge. A few minutes later I figure what the heck, my hunt in this location is almost over, I might as well try to chase them down. For all I know this might be the only bull I see. I tell myself that I had been running stairs and hitting the gym hard for the last several months for an opportunity just like this. I throw my pack together and start down the ridge I was perched on, more jogging than walking. There was nearly a mile of country to cover before I would be able to reach the next ridgeline the herd had gone over, with some serious elevation change in between. 30 minutes or so later I crested the spot where the herd disappeared. I quickly got to a position that allowed an opportunity to see as much of the below valley and adjacent ridge. It wasn't but 2 minutes later when I spot the bull from earlier on the opposite side of the valley. Having already seen him earlier, and knowing he was a shooter, I prepare for the shot. With my legs legs screaming and my lungs on fire I range the bull at 145 yards, perfect! The shooting sticks come out and I can tell he has spotted me and trying to figure out what was going on. I waste no time and let the 308 do it's thing. He was quartering sharply towards me and barely reacts to the shot. I reload with the intention of putting as many rounds in him while I still can. After getting him back in the scope for the second shot, I watch him turn uphill, try to take a step and crash over backwards. Success! Later my wife would ask if I had any buck fever or if I was shaking and nervous. I told her to be honest, my heart rate probably couldn't have gone any higher than it already was after the near sprint it took to catch up to him. It was one of those things where right after spotting him my body just went into autopilot for the shot. Despite being able to get the 4 wheeler within several hundred yards for the return trip, the process of gutting, dressing and dragging the bull was one of the most physically exhausting things. The shot ended up being perfect, with the 165 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw breaking the front shoulder, punching straight through the heart and exciting behind the back shoulder. All in all it is one of my most incredible hunting experiences ever.

Sean98
AG
Well done sir.
OnlyForNow
AG
Happy for ya buddy!
La Fours
AG
Awesome.
cledus6150
AG
Good job, and congratulations!
agingcowboy
AG
Congrats!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
taquache02
AG
Hell of a story. I'd like to do a hunt like this someday.
schmellba99
AG
Great story. We are still chasing and searching here a few miles south of you. One of the group shot a cow this morning, multiple hours of tracking has yielded no results. Think he hit her a tad low.

I have seen 3 so far, but it was too dark to determine what they were and make a shot. Front is supposed to push through tonight and tomorrow, hoping they are more active this evening and Tuesday. This harvest moon is killing us.
ursusguy
AG
Leaving for Denver Wednesday morning, I'm half way contemplating packing.....reality, the game is on and I'll actually pack some time Tuesday.

Got the rifle pretty well tuned to my liking. Now I'm praying for some colder weather. Granted, at 11,000, that is not really something I want to tempt fate with.
AgLA06
AG
My pack is ready to go and I washed all of clothes in scent free detergent. We're leaving Wednesday after work and should be at the lodge Thursday evening. We're packing in Friday morning. Y'all going to get in early enough for me to buy you a beer at the bar?

Y'all still hunting up top?
ursusguy
AG
Pick up cousin at the Denver airport about 9:30 Thursday morning, and should be there by mid-afternoon.

Yeah, I like up top for the moment. If we can get a lot of pressure coming up from that basin, we could be in a good situation. Granted, we'll need the Log type hunters to push that basin hard. Plus, if we get some migratory action going, we can hit that migratory route to the southwest in about 1.5 hours.
Log
AG
If they start getting pressured, expect them to bunker up in the deepest, darkest, nastiest canyons you can find. That's what happened to us after two days of MZ season. They were bugling like crazy the two days before the season and the first two days of the season, then they shut up and disappeared.
ursusguy
AG
That's what I am banking on....just this last week I have started breaking things down like I did for Latir ;-)
Log
AG
ursusguy said:

That's what I am banking on....just this last week I have started breaking things down like I did for Latir ;-)
Good point. They're either going to do what I mentioned previously, or hang out on the biggest, most wide open, no-way-you-can-sneak-up-on-me open area they can find.

I tried, almost sealed it. It was epic.
ursusguy
AG
Well, I'm hitting the road tomorrow headed to Denver, then on up to Meeker on Thursday. Mix of emotions day to say the least. I'm finely getting excited to hunt this year, haven't even gotten a Texas license this year...yet. August 31st my dad would always call to find out where I was hunting opening day (he couldn't hunt until temperatures got below 80, so October). My cousins and I have been planning this hunt for 3 years, but until February 24th (dad's funeral) it had gotten much beyond "let's do Elk 2 with OTC tags". We resolved at the funeral it was going to happen this year. My dad knew we were planning the hunt (granted not much detail), and was extremely excited by it. It's one cousin from each of my granddad's kids. My last real conversation with my dad was him offering to either buy me nicer rifle or the scope for a new rifle. He knew me well enough to know I would talk myself out buying a new gun.....as it turns out, an uncle offered up his Weatherby .270 WSM (can't deny it shoots way nicer than anything I own).

I'm sure the next week or so will be tough. The 20th will be 8 months since he passed away, the 25th he would have been 67......27th I'm conveniently missing my 9th wedding anniversary. Somehow I envision him trying to hobble along behind us through the mountains (there are a few OBers that got to meet him and what he would try to will his way through).

Damn, I'm ready for Colorado already.
Sean98
AG
Go kick their ass.
AgLA06
AG
ursusguy said:

Well, I'm hitting the road tomorrow headed to Denver, then on up to Meeker on Thursday. Mix of emotions day to say the least. I'm finely getting excited to hunt this year, haven't even gotten a Texas license this year...yet. August 31st my dad would always call to find out where I was hunting opening day (he couldn't hunt until temperatures got below 80, so October). My cousins and I have been planning this hunt for 3 years, but until February 24th (dad's funeral) it had gotten much beyond "let's do Elk 2 with OTC tags". We resolved at the funeral it was going to happen this year. My dad knew we were planning the hunt (granted not much detail), and was extremely excited by it. It's one cousin from each of my granddad's kids. My last real conversation with my dad was him offering to either buy me nicer rifle or the scope for a new rifle. He knew me well enough to know I would talk myself out buying a new gun.....as it turns out, an uncle offered up his Weatherby .270 WSM (can't deny it shoots way nicer than anything I own).

I'm sure the next week or so will be tough. The 20th will be 8 months since he passed away, the 25th he would have been 67......27th I'm conveniently missing my 9th wedding anniversary. Somehow I envision him trying to hobble along behind us through the mountains (there are a few OBers that got to meet him and what he would try to will his way through).

Damn, I'm ready for Colorado already.

Save one for me! I just finished packing and now all that's left is to watch the clock until I can hit the road tomorrow afternoon.

Safe travels and see you at the lodge Thursday!
Maverick06
AG
Headed out tomorrow as well. Not chasing elk though. Trying to find myself a big muley. Good luck to all!
mneisch
AG
Any luck? Weather the last few days sure has turned. When it was 30 degrees, snowing with the wind blowing like crazy the other day I was awfully glad my bull was already in coolers.
schmellba99
AG
mneisch said:

Any luck? Weather the last few days sure has turned. When it was 30 degrees, snowing with the wind blowing like crazy the other day I was awfully glad my bull was already in coolers.

Unfortunately, no joy for me. Saw several animals, but was never able to pull the trigger. A nice 6x6 was taken on state trust land not 1/4 mile from our cabin. They were there, just stayed elusive.
ursusguy
AG
Single digits and teens looking like a distinct possibility.....even my cheap a-- said screw it and went and bought a new sleeping bag. My old mummy bag was rated to -10, but I bought it back in '96. Fluffed up it had about 5 inches of loft, maybe. No need to flirt with be coming a human popsicle.
ccard257
AG
I hunted that area out of Meeker a while back. Absolutely beautiful.

Game watching in meeker was a bit tough, but the VFW lodge was kind enough to put the Arkansas game on so I could watch Sherman do his second half collapse.
Tom Doniphon
Heading west today....
Kenneth_2003
AG
Anyone want to go Elk hunting in BEE COUNTY???

First heard about this guy two weeks ago when a deputy responded to a report of a "suspicioius animal" at the end of a rural road. Everyone thought he'd lost his mind when he reported an elk. Four days later a good friend of mine found one on his ranch. Last night this fine guy was hit by a car. No one is sure how many are roaming around, but apparently there are more than one as some of the sightings don't match the antlers on this guy.

[URL=.html][/URL]
JB!98
AG
Where in the county was this? Lived in Beeville for many years.
AgEng06
AG
I'll be down there in 2 weekends, and I'll bring my bugle just incase...
Kenneth_2003
AG
One has been spotted on the end of Dickerson Rd just east of town. One was spotted on the BarJ ranch last Wednesday. This one was struck by a car and killed last night somewhere along US 181, but I haven't gotten confirmation where.
Kenneth_2003
AG

The young lady that hit it was able to get her family out to the wreck site. They loaded the Elk up on a car hauler and began butchering it. Apparently very, very little of the meat was bruised and ruined. Co-worker of mine that started up Twisted Horn Taxidermy has the cape and the skull.

Now here's the real kicker. The father and the older brother of young lady that hit the animal are leaving today for Colorado or New Mexico to go Elk hunting!!!

Kalebcs
Headed to unit 70 with my 77 year old Pop. Going to do my best to put him on a bull!
tmaggie50
AG
Just got to Denver for my flight home tomorrow. We didn't bag an elk but it was a successful hunt by my standards. Experience of a lifetime. Learned a ton. And will have a little more detail tomorrow on the trip.
Caddis Black Angus
AG

NM
Sims
AG
Reporting in.

Just back from a week trip to Aguilar, CO. It's about 20 minutes north of Trinidad, CO.

Last year was my first time to hunt the area. It's private land that belongs to a friend of my father-in-law. It was cold and wet last year and I didn't see a single elk. We had one guy from our group that got a decent bull the night before we arrived and that was the last elk of trip for any in our group.

I went back this year purely on faith that elk do exist. I surely didn't want to leave having not seen anything other than birds and squirrels.

Anyway, we got there Friday and went up to look around. It was hot and dry. Really, really dry. Have y'all heard the phrase, "It's drier than a popcorn fart?" Well, it was a first for me to hear it too. I wasn't too thrilled about our chances. I checked the three water holes I knew about and only one had water. There was very little left but it was there. I set up some cover to sit on the water hole in the mornings and decided I would go at it on foot in the evenings.

Sunday morning was pretty cool as far as the weekly temps go. Dry and windy. I set up under my cover about an hour and a half before daylight and got ready for the wait. About 30 minutes before sunrise, bugle one. I returned with a hoochie mama call. Wait, wait, wait. 15 minutes later, another bugle. Man, I couldn't see crap but I knew he was close. Sun comes up, no activity. I figured he was gone. I was bummed too. I even texted a buddy - "Hadn't heard another bugle...bummer". That was 7:58AM.

Within a few seconds, I see some movement coming over the dam of a small pond. It's a spike and I'm not sure it's legal. I slowly went to grab my phone and shoot a pic over to my dad to see if he thinks I should take the shot. I got my phone, looked up...holy crap...I can shoot that one. Number two had just walked over the dam.

My heart was about to jump out of my chest. I couldn't hardly keep my aim on him. I lowered my rifle and took a deep breath. As I lined him back up...I couldn't believe what I was seeing...Number three just crested the edge of the dam and he was the biggest of the bunch. At this point I was debating on waiting for number four - Yeah. Right. He turned to find his spot at the watering hole and I got the shot off. Broadside. Right where I needed it. He fell within 10 feet.

I had mentally practiced my celebration the whole drive up. Should I just yell like a crazy person? Maybe I could fire off a few rounds with my pistol... Whatever I had come up with was useless and forgotten. I just sat there speechless and shaking. That feeling is tough to describe. It's joy, but also much more than that. I hadn't seen an elk anywhere but the side of the highway at 70mph and here I was getting to choose from 3 within 150 yards.

Then the texts start coming in from my dad and my father-in-law. "That you?" "Did you shoot?" Heck yeah. That was me. In addition to those replies I sent another out to the recipient of my previous lamentation @ 7:58AM. "I GOT HIM!" It was 8:10AM. Things sure can turn around quickly.

My dad, FIL and I got him moved back to camp, cleaned and ready to go to the processor. We brought the head back and caped it out ourselves. There are some things that you think of with respect to a father/son moment. A sawzall through the eye socket is oddly enough on the list now.

The next three days I chased filling a bear tag. No luck on that but I had all I came for. Good times, great company, a good story and my first elk soon to be on the wall.

Sean98
AG
I hate you.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.