Outdoors
Sponsored by

2016 Elk Hunting Thread

95,928 Views | 726 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyForNow
arrow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Yes. They are a good supplement to Mountain House meals.
Lungblood
Also, that's impressive that he keeps 2-3 arrows knocked with Judo points.
Sean98
AG
I will definitely carry an arrow that is tipped with a judo point for that very thing. I've never hunted them with my bow before, but when I was on the mountain earlier this summer my dogs pointed about 8 of them over the 4 days I was there so there are definitely some in the area. If they are anything like Ruffies they'll be about the best eating you'll ever find.
Lungblood
Fwiw... I intend to use a braoadhead on the little rascals.
Sean98
AG
It might be easier just to hit them with a stick.
Lungblood
I prefer to see it as Mountain hunting practice
Sean98
AG
It was kind of funny. We can walk right up to them when it's just people. The guy that I was with on the mountain showing me the area scoffed at how dumb they are (and they can be). But I told him, "it'll be different with dogs. We'll see a lot more but they'll be a lot more flighty."

Sure enough, 3 devil hounds on their tails and we got some good quality points and dog action (even in July with less than ideal conditions) - but we also got a lot of wild flushes too. I'm assuming that's because normally you'd walk right by 80% of the birds without even knowing they were there. But not with Duck/Fred/Charlie along. They'd root those suckers out and get them up in the air and then look at me like, "What the F? Why aren't you shooting!!??"
Lungblood
They blend into their environment remarkably well. I think a "Dusky" line of Mountain Camo could be the next great thing.
stdeb11
AG
I ended up switching back to Grim Reapers. I tried out the QAD exodus and never could get comfortable with them. Might have been a couple of windy sessions that added to it. When I cut my hand pulling one out (took out some other idiots broad head with it) that was the final straw.
Sean98
AG
Oof. I have forgotten just how far 120 yards is with a bow in hand.

Live well lost arrow. You lived a good life and earned your freedom.
tmaggie50
AG
Where do y'all buy your orange vest and cap?
ursusguy
AG
Wal-Mart
Lungblood
Under Armour
Sean98
AG
quote:

I don't, because I'm a bow hunter.

But seriously. Walmart.
Ag210
AG
Sean, you still shoot a Spott Hogg seven pin right? How do you have your pins set to reach out that far? Hold over?
AgLA06
AG
quote:

Amazon
Log
AG
Rub your arrows on some leftover pheasant parts then sick the dogs on it after you lose one.
Sean98
AG
quote:
Sean, you still shoot a Spott Hogg seven pin right? How do you have your pins set to reach out that far? Hold over?
Correct, and my pins are only 25-85, so it's a hold over situation. The 85-100 jump is essentially putting my 85 yard pin dead center, noting the location of my 65 yard pin, then raising my 85 yard pin to that spot (formerly occupied by the 65). As you can imagine that doesn't make for the greatest "groups" but at 100+ what I'm really trying to do is ingrain good form. No creeping, no drop&peep, etc. Good groups are just a bonus.

In fact, at 120, the biggest problem is the target is below the sight housing. So it is VERY easy to get a little left or right without realizing it.

Here's my first 4 arrows of the day at 100, my "cold" group if you will. Not perfect by any means, but acceptable for what I was trying to accomplish.

stdeb11
AG
Nice. So you shoot distance to ingrain good form? I've heard of shooting blind as well. I'm really curious as I've never done either (shooting past 60 or blind).

My general plan has always been to shoot alot and avoid over thinking anything. But I listened to too many podcasts lately and now wheels have started turning...

Sean98
AG
I shoot blind when I have access to round bales and find it very helpful. If you stand 10 feet from a round bale, you aren't missing, even with your eyes closed.
Kalebcs
I like your system. Any reason you are using 25-85 increments? Is it because you are shooting so flat 10-25 that there is no reason to have a pin any closer? I have the Spott hog 7 pin as well set 20-80.
Sean98
AG
Exactly. I don't see noticeable drop until I get around 28 yards, so I started at 25 and moved out from there.

I do know people that go to 5 yard increments after 65 which can be helpful for fine tuning out to 75.
agingcowboy
AG
Not that there's a real need for a 100 yard pin...but..I have the same sight. I start with 30 to 80, skip 90 then drop my 7th pin for 100 yards. You can use the bubble too for even farther shots.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
shaynew1
AG
I bought a 5 pin slider this summer and I am in love w it. Pins set to 60 and have a tape out to 100.
Sean98
AG
I'm glad you like it. I had a slider at one point (but it was a single pin) and I hated it. Loved the theory, hated the actual operation. Critters never held still and I was stuck at full draw with a wrong yardage.

If you have a multi pin + a slider then I think that might be better.
shaynew1
AG
Ya 5 pins and I use the bottom in conjunction w the tape as the slider.
AgLA06
AG
I'm so pumped about my first elk hunt this year. I don't have a GPS unit, so I've been playing with a couple of GPS apps on my phone and decided on one I really like. I spent most of the day using the app and Google Earth to mark a bunch of places to use as a vantage point to glass areas that look promising. It's all the pre-scouting I'll get to do between taking a new position at work and a 2 year old.
Lungblood
^

Elk Horney
AgLA06
ursusguy
AG
Been working on cardio conditioning for several months now, still mildly worried. But, I'm still excited.

Reality is I'll likely be perfectly fine, just happen to remember myself at 26 having to do SAR work on missing elk hunters. There must be something special about elk, twice I had to go looking for guys that were less than 6 weeks removed from heart surgeries (one literally slipped out without his wife knowing). My personal nightmare is having to have a SAR team activated for me.
AgLA06
AG
I've been putting in 15-20 miles a week with a weighted pack for a month now. I added a gym workout at lunch last week. I'm down two pant sizes, but the weight loss in pounds hasn't been what I hoped yet.

I started way overweight and out of shape. I know I'm not going to be where I need to be, but I'll be as good as I can get between now and then. I'll just have to go slow at times. What my hunting partner has in physical shape I'll have in determination.
Lungblood
A little of this never hurts in the backcountry

ursusguy
AG
So true.
Tom Doniphon
quote:
I know I'm not going to be where I need to be, but I'll be as good as I can get between now and then. I'll just have to go slow at times.

I'm fat and old myself (10 years your elder assuming you're class of '06).... done several DIY pack in hunts into the Bob on horseback and got a couple of 300+" bulls for my efforts... you'll be fine. I'm never in good enough shape. But taking your time, finding good vantage points, studying topos, and making every step count pays dividends IMHO. Good luck!
Lungblood

Gathering my foodstuffs

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.