Outdoors
Sponsored by

2016 Elk Hunting Thread

95,962 Views | 726 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyForNow
OnlyForNow
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I know it well.

Saw a bear in the la garita just a few weeks ago while fishing and lots of elk sign.
Sean98
AG
quote:

How long are you hunting?

We leave around midnight this Friday/Saturday. Get to the mountain Saturday, get settled in, maybe glass a little. No real hunting. Sunday, more of the same. Glass, scout, check trail cams. Carry our bows of course but not a real aggressive hunt. Then get after it for real on Monday the 12th. We have until September 25th to get it done.
Sean98
AG
My Colorado buddy popped up to our spot for the weekend to glass, listen and check some trail cameras that we put out. He's terrible about communicating (he still has an aol email) but pics are beginning to trickle in.

...first pic he sends...

shaynew1
AG
Why hell yes I'm ready Woodrow
Sean98
AG
And an ursus for ursus... the day after I deployed the camera...

Sean98
AG
On the sunny side of the mountain the critters were a little different...

But in the dark timber...

And where there's one, there's more

aggiesq
aggiesq
AG
Are those temps right ?
OnlyForNow
AG
Ya. It was really nice when we were there 8/12-8/19, got down to 33 one night at 9,000 feet.
Sean98
AG
Should be. That's at about 11,800'.
Kalebcs
Boy howdy, those pics get me fired up!!!! We are headed to unit 62 on the 15th and have to the 25th to get it done as well.
Sean98
AG
Looks like the velvet is coming off...

Be sure and look back/right.

This 5x5 makes me feel kinda tingly.

ursusguy
OnlyForNow
AG
Are y'all doing archery or first rifle?
Sean98
AG
Archery. First rifle doesn't start until October. Our first week there will overlap Muzzleloader season though.
OnlyForNow
AG
That's what I thought. Well best of luck to y'all. 67 is draw only right? Did you draw bull?
Sean98
AG
Draw only. 2 of us driving from Kansas. 1 Colorado buddy joining for a portion of the hunt. We all have Either Sex tags in our pockets.
stdeb11
AG
No luck for me this past weekend. Found plenty of fresh sign and put some miles on the legs, just never saw them and couldn't get anything to talk. Might have heard a bugle one evening, but again couldn't get a response.

It was good to test out some gear and break in the legs. Weekend warrior it this next weekend and then gear up for almost a full week at the end of the month.
OnlyForNow
AG
Sean,

if you need a little fishing relaxing, let me know I've got some nice places up in 67 scouted out.
ursusguy
AG
You should be able to pet a bear for me.
Sean98
AG
quote:
My friends are worried we're going to get eaten, so concerned about what kind of guns they need to have. I told them a bear that size they could just hold it down and have sex with it if they wanted.

I also told them that bears were far less rape-y than those bears in the Leo DiCaprio movie.
AgLA06
AG
quote:

You assured me with all your expert knowledge that bears wouldn't be around for our hunt and bear spray wouldn't be needed. That advice still stand?
ursusguy
AG
We are hunting a lot later than Sean is. Keep an clean camp and it's not much of an issue anyway.
Sean98
AG
quote:
quote:

You assured me with all your expert knowledge that bears wouldn't be around for our hunt and bear spray wouldn't be needed. That advice still stand?
Use lots of Cherry Lip Gloss before you go to sleep in your tent. It repels bears.
stdeb11
AG
Did see two of the largest bear scats I've ever seen this past weekend. Piles the size of my foot. Even had some granola bar wrappers in the mix so they had to have been well fed....definitely made sure to pick a good tree for the bear bag.
Legett79
AG
Saw lots of elk this weekend. Not bugling yet and still in batchelor groups. Two guys in our unit in SE Idaho got bears while sitting at water holes.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
OnlyForNow
AG
Sean, we did see quite a bit of sign this year in the La Garita as I mentioned. And the first time since '78 that my dad had seen a bear up there, and he's been going back every 2-3 years since then.

We stay at the quarter circle circle ranch at the end of 17-GG, he has 2-3 on game cams and 2 mt lions as well. Also said a few years ago in one of the rifle seasons they were asked to pack out an elk for a group and when they got there got charged by a nice bear they ended up taking (had a tag).

I'll be waiting your trip report with baited breath!
Sean98
AG
quote:

I'll be waiting your trip report with baited breath!
What!!?? This isn't Texas! There's no baiting on this trip!! I don't have room in the truck for corn!

...seriously. If Friday doesn't get here soon I'm going to go out of my GD mind. I've never stressed over packing for a trip as much as I have this one. Fretting over little details that are unlikely to matter in the large scheme of things. Thankfully work is busy this week which keeps me sane. Not so thankfully, work is busy in the EVENINGS this week so I'm not able to get as organized at home as I'd like to make sure I'm not forgetting things.
Lungblood
Cut my colo elk trip short. Tag soup. More on that later.

Don't feel sorry for me... I only cut it short bc I decided to Head to NM to chase deer. Had to reprint tag bc this was a whim decision.

Note: The entire state of new mex IT is a cluster. Took me 45 mins with half that on phone to get it emailed to me.

AgEng06
AG
Is he dead yet?
Sean98
AG
I started taking my altitude drugs (Acetazolamide) this morning so now I KNOW we're getting close!!
OnlyForNow
AG
There was supposed to be a pretty strong Sept. cold front blow through middle of next week.

Some weather models still show it happening.
Be prepared!
Lungblood
Driving NM is ass whip
Sean98
AG
Yeah, looks like something coming through late Tuesday into Wednesday. Tough to tell from the web exactly what the weather will be for us. Best I can get is a town 20 miles away and 3000 feet lower in elevation and then try to "guess up the mountain." I know we've already had one snow. I love snow and won't mind it if it happens, but I also hate climbing steep muddy grades, so I'll be okay if it doesn't.
Kalebcs
You tried wunderground? They have like 4 reading stations on top where we hunt.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.