Outdoors
Sponsored by

2016 Elk Hunting Thread

95,918 Views | 726 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by OnlyForNow
TommyGun
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
Found this article, and it appears to be a pretty good article/resource for planning your backcountry gear list...

http://www.gohunt.com/read/skills/the-ultimate-backcountry-hunting-gear-list-breakdown

$17,000 gear list!
stdeb11
AG
I listened to him on Jay Scott talk about it. Intense about saving every ounce in his backpacking gear. Then I didn't quite get how he just tossed on optics and camera gear....I guess that's how he makes his living tho.

And yeah, $$$$
Tom Doniphon
quote:
$17,000 gear list!

I refuse to even think about adding all my stuff up. I'm afraid I'd realize I'm right there with him.
Sean98
AG
From the comments...

quote:
Pete C. - posted 1 day ago on 08-28-2016 12:38:09 pm
Wow, this is the most ridiculous, brand-*****ish, yuppie gear list I've ever seen! But, except for the Kuiu (which is absolute garbage), I FREAKING LOVE it! You'll definitely look the part of the thru-hiking, 21st Century, social media loving urban-hunter! I can picture your Instagram account now! I'm sure there will definitely be a LOAD of sunset framed "jealousy" shots of this 15K (on the light side) gear list!

It is a list to be jealous of but I see no reason to carry 10x and 15x binoculars in addition to an 85mm spotter. Just heavy, expensive duplicity in my opinion.
Log
AG
quote:
From the comments...

quote:
Pete C. - posted 1 day ago on 08-28-2016 12:38:09 pm
Wow, this is the most ridiculous, brand-*****ish, yuppie gear list I've ever seen! But, except for the Kuiu (which is absolute garbage), I FREAKING LOVE it! You'll definitely look the part of the thru-hiking, 21st Century, social media loving urban-hunter! I can picture your Instagram account now! I'm sure there will definitely be a LOAD of sunset framed "jealousy" shots of this 15K (on the light side) gear list!

It is a list to be jealous of but I see no reason to carry 10x and 15x binoculars in addition to an 85mm spotter. Just heavy, expensive duplicity in my opinion.

Additionally, if you can't tell the difference at distance between a shooter elk/ram/etc. with a pair of 10x or 15x binos, you a.) either shouldn't be hunting, or b.) you blown past the reason we hunt. Sure, higher power will help clarify things on occasion, but you should be able to judge quality with a pair of binos. Internally we all want to shoot the biggest animal out there, but even getting a shot on a mature animal after you've managed to close the distance is a feat in and of itself. Doesn't matter if he's the badass of the block. You get him, it's a trophy, if you get the big guy, even better.

Basically, don't let illusions of grandeur overshadow the reason you hunt. It's to put meat in the freezer. Bone is secondary.
ursusguy
AG
Let's see, I bought a new pair of binos from Eyeguy when he ran a special (like $180 something) and a rangefinder ($120). I am debating whether to get a GPS or not (I'm good with triangulation, but I do sorta need one for work). That's pretty much the extent of my buying new goodies for Colorado.

I'll maybe take my fancy Barska spotting scope.
AgLA06
AG
quote:
Let's see, I bought a new pair of binos from Eyeguy when he ran a special (like $180 something) and a rangefinder ($120). I am debating whether to get a GPS or not (I'm good with triangulation, but I do sorta need one for work). That's pretty much the extent of my buying new goodies for Colorado.

I posted about it earlier, but a stand alone GPS wasn't in my budget considering all the needed stuff I've already bought. I played with Backcountry Navigator apo on my smartphone before deciding on using the OnX Hunt app. I'm actually glad I didn't waste the money with a GPS. I have a couple of maps and a compass as well just in case.
Log
AG
quote:

Triangulation doesn't work so well when you hit a very large flat spot high up on a mountain that is covered with thick dark timber and sunset is happening shortly thereafter. The one and only time I left my GPS in camp, since "we weren't going very far". We would have survived had we not found our way out that evening (only about 200 yards from camp, temps weren't bad), but it definitely taught a newb something (first year elk hunting).

You're better than 99% of people though, but some of the newbs might want to adhere to the advice.
ursusguy
AG
That is very true.

One of the SARs I did near Eagle Nest was due to a guy depending so let on a GPS, and forgot extra batteries. Another guy didn't know about matching the datum. He wasn't off by much, but enough to keep missing camp.
Log
AG
When you have terrain features to work with, along with a topo map (sometimes even without the map if you've got a bit of sense, the ability to compose yourself, and some realistic confidence), getting lost is hard to do. Go flat where you can't see the sky or terrain with no compass or GPS, well, hope you packed a survival kit. Everything looks the same when you are in deep.

I used to download all my 7.5' Quads from here http://libremap.org/, but it looks like they killed it. All 50 states were on there, and I've got a crapload saved from places I have hunted previously. There are other places to get free, high quality downloads, but you'll have to work for them more.
ursusguy
AG
When I say triangulate, a compass is always an option.....not crazy.
Lungblood

Pack is loaded. Archery gear is gtg.

Leaving tomorrow at 4. Plan to hit Pagosa Springs around 9am mtn time thurs morn. Load up on ice and drive an hour to trailhead. Hope to be packing in by noon and start making camp#1 around 5.

Good luck to all.
stdeb11
AG
42.3lbs. Food, but no water included. Taking the gf to dinner tomorrow, then off Thursday thru Monday for the 1st of 3 trips out by end of Sept.

Good luck to all!
ursusguy
AG
After talking myself out of buying ammo several times, happened to check Midway, and they had the loaded I wanted on clearance.
Lungblood
Pack weighed in at 43.6. Bow with quiver and arrows is 6.2... Just under 50 total. I can live with that. May try to shed a few things but I feel pretty content with it.
stdeb11
AG
Nice. That's my feelings as well. I can think of a couple things to shed that might buy me a few pounds, but I'll probably suck up the weight and use this trip to tune in my gear.
Sean98
AG
Good luck guys! It's still a little over a week for me so I get to bust some feathers starting tomorrow before I leave.
Buck Compton
AG
Good luck everyone.

And not to jinx anyone, but any recommendations on where to send a bull for taxidermy?

It just dawned on me that I needed that nailed down in case I go through with all this and actually achieve my goal.
arrow
AG
Found some cell service and figured I'd post. My pack weight came out right at 43 pounds as well. I put 33 miles on the ground the first three days chasing elk way too far away. I've calmed down the last couple of days and been rewarded with two different stalks on 6x6 bulls not far from base camp. Got one at 80 yards with a tree in the way. Today's bull was about 125 but couldn't get closer with his cows getting nervous. The elk are silent right now and haven't responded favorably to any calling.

The deer hunters in my group are on some BIG bucks but haven't been able to seal the deal just yet. I'll update with more details and pictures after the hunt. Weather has been uncharacteristically cold and wet (sleet and snow every day).

Down to 3 days to get it done.
AgEng06
AG
Hang in there, and good luck.
Legett79
AG
Leaving today for SE Idaho. Supposed to cool down and maybe rain this weekend. Hopefully gets the elk talking a little. At least it might help with the forest fires. Good luck to everybody!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ursusguy
AG
Get home today and my ammo is waiting for me.
AgEng06
AG
It's about time for one of you guys to have drawn blood...
AckerlyAg
AG
Got a phone call from the man whose horse I'm borrowing to take hunting with me; turns out the horse cut his leg pretty bad last night. Now I'm scrambling to find a replacement and the only one I can find on short notice is an unbroke 5 yr old gelding. I'm definitely regretting selling both of mine now cuz things might get a little western in the mountains!
Sean98
AG
Small town USPS called me this morning and said, "your Amazon packages have arrived but the are too many and one that's too big to fit in the vehicle of your mail man. You'll have to come get them yourself."
shaynew1
AG
No blood on my backpack trip. A couple grouse. Got to plow and work for a couple weeks then I'm headed back up.
Sean98
AG
Man, if my neighbors didn't hate me before they probably do now. Despite my best efforts, and approximately 60 bugles into the early morning light, I have been unable to get a bull to talk to me here in NE Kansas.

I feel like I have good tone and volume but it must not be quiiiiite reaching my elk in Gunnison, CO. In 5 days I'll be headed up the mountain.
ursusguy
AG
I need to drive up there and set up about 400 yards from your house, and respond with a bugle.
Kalebcs
I've always been a cheapskate when it comes to optics. I've used the excuse that I'm bow hunting, so I don't really need good binos. I usually just borrow a buddies rage finder for the mountains.

Well I'm getting married in November and we have a tradition amongst my friends of getting the groom a good outdoors gift. My groomsmen hooded me up!!!!

Sean98
AG
quote:
I need to drive up there and set up about 400 yards from your house, and respond with a bugle.

You might be surprised how quick I close the distance and get an arrow in you.
Sean98
AG
You appear fully hooded.

Great job gentlemen!
OnlyForNow
AG
What part of Gunnison are you hunting in?
ursusguy
AG
No, I plan to use an actual bugle.

Wait a second, that might speed you up more since I have no clue how to play one.
Sean98
AG
SE of Gunnison. Unit 67.
Kalebcs
Bahahaha I just now noticed that. Dad gum AC gremlins got me again.

How long are you hunting?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.