*** Silicon Valley Season 2 ***

105,289 Views | 611 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Deputy Travis Junior
Centerpole90
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
That's the kind of guy Peter was. not disappointed in Snapchat.

jdls13
AG
Dare I say this season premiere easily outdid GoT
Deputy Travis Junior
Outstanding first episode. After Jared kicked off the meeting montage with his gut-busting line "Negging is going negative. It's a manipulative sex strategy used by lonely chauvinists" the show just found another level. I had to pause halfway through because Erlich's was making me laugh so hard I couldn't hear the show. I mean some of the **** Erlich said... "harlequin kama sutra... done poorly." Just amazing. The funeral was freaking hilarious too. The live Twitter feed with fan tweets, the "Peter Gregory's value" equation, the Evan Spiegal cameo, and capped off with the forgiveness speech + lawsuit. Just perfectly done.

For me, this is the funniest show on TV, or maybe that I've ever seen.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Didn't laugh once

Hope the show recovers bc that was bad
Post removed:
by user
Jackass2004
AG
The lawsuit and forgiveness thing did it for me. I have some current business colleagues going through a similar situation with an older company. Lol.
Fresh Off The Boat
He put his balls on the table...
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
Didn't laugh once

Did you watch season 1? I'm not seeing how you could like season 1 and think that this episode wasn't any good.

If you're new to the show and didn't laugh once tonight, then it isn't going to be your type of show. This episode was very in-line with the show's humor.
Hickory High
AG
quote:
Didn't laugh once

I really hope you're joking. I honestly think that was one of the funniest episodes of TV that I've seen.

"These muffins smell like ****. One of you is the least attractive person I've ever seen and I'm not going to say who."
Hickory High
AG
Sex Panther
AG
I lost it when Richard told them if they didn't invest then they were a bunch of ****s

And Evan Spiegel's eulogy... holy ****.

"Because that's the kind of guy Peter was... Warm. Generous. And not disappointed in SnapChat."

So great
Garrelli 5000
AG
This show is so re-watchable because of all the subtle jokes. Still one of my favorites is in season 1 when they're going to meet Peter Gregory or possibly going to a party, and Erlich says "I need to get a better shirt". Then cut to them walking in and he's wearing another run of the mill t-shirt with a random logo on it, like the other 100 that he owns.
WestTxAg06
AG
quote:
He put his balls on the table...

" Accidentally, or on purpose?"

"I don't think you can do it accidentally."
jtmoney03
AG
Just in case no one else nerded out like I did...the binary shirt Erlich wore said *****in.

Also, Monica's explanation of how Peter died and Erlich and Richard's reactions were great!
agmatt06
AG
"He hadn't run in awhile...well maybe ever..."
Al Bula
AG
quote:

Rewatched this over the weekend. Holy hell, I forgot how funny "snack dick" was.

Second season opener did not disappoint.

One issue. The chick who took over Raviga was obviously trying to be too much like Peter Gregory.
Fresh Off The Boat
So the hippo got him...
double aught
AG
quote:
Not a fan of trying to just slide a female Peter Greggory in there.
That seemed like a really strange choice.
Obi Wan Ginobili
Look, Peter Gregory is dead.

....yes....
Post removed:
by user
MW03
AG
The best part of the whole episode was Richard in the batter's box against Tyler Beede literally facing major league fastballs, followed by an entire episode of Pied Piper facing metaphorical major league fastballs. Very smart (and funny).

I thought it was pretty good, but "Lady Greggory" is a complete miss for me. Feels like a total mistake. I'd rather they had put in someone like That Guy. Not just because he has a suit but because he knows about business and stuff and he has a tie.

HtownAg92
AG
quote:
The best part of the whole episode was Richard in the batter's box against Tyler Beede literally facing major league fastballs, followed by an entire episode of Pied Piper facing metaphorical major league fastballs. Very smart (and funny).
Don't forget about the entire nerd herd declining a chance to step in to take a try in the batter's box after Richard bowed out.

Erlich's escalating "negging" was gold.
twenty two ags
good episode, but i never feel like this show ever exceeds the sum of its parts. i feel like all of the pied piper guys (other than middleditch) have been much funnier in either other shows, podcasts, or standup.

it probably isnt fair, and i probably have unrealistic expectations. after all, it is sandwiched in between 3 of the best shows on TV (GoT, VEEP, Last Week Tonight). so when it is consistently just "very good" that seems like a let down.
Btron
AG
you look like you fart!

The chief, CTO Indian commentary was great.
La Fours
AG
Can one of you explain how the venture capital process works and the difference between Series A and Series B stuff?
Kooch 3:16
AG
quote:
Can one of you explain how the venture capital process works and the difference between Series A and Series B stuff?
It's basically like dating.

You put some nice clothes on and go out for the night. Some chick sees you, loves the way you look and what you're wearing. She starts rubbing on your junk. You get a handy on the first date. You start dating. (Series A)

Typically, she starts wanting more and more attention from you and you figure if you do a couple of different things (join a gym, buy a new car), she'll still like you. But you tell her you'll do all this stuff but you've got to get more physical. You want a BJ. She agrees, you join the gym, get swole and life goes on. (Series B).

This cycle can continue a while... And there are other things as well; Bridge Financing (side pieces) and equity, roll-overs, investment committees, etc, etc.

At some point, you're both clearly done with each other and you've already started looking around because, let's face it, chicks get old and ugly, so you've probably told her you don't think you should be exclusive anymore; and she agrees. You find a freaking amazing piece at some joint, you fall in love the moment you see her, you do the deed (first night) and keep the relationship going. (Exit to Private Equity or Strategic Partner).

That's about as simple as I can put it having worked at two VC companies, exited one and now at a PE shop.
WestTxAg06
AG
Sepinwall says there's another character coming who helps replace Gregory, instead of it just being the woman: http://m.hitfix.com/whats-alan-watching/silicon-valley-fills-peter-gregorys-big-shoes-in-season-2
La Fours
AG
Thanks for the explination. Now then, here's my next question. What's the difference between venture capital firms and private equity firms?
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Thanks for the explination. Now then, here's my next question. What's the difference between venture capital firms and private equity firms?

VC's portfolios primarily consist of startup companies with high-risk, high-reward scenarios.

PE porftolios are usually well established companies that are not living up to their potential.

PE's almost always buy 100% ownership of a company and then take full control of operations. Whereas a VC almost never gets more than 50% equity and gets limited input on how the company should or shouldn't operate.

VC's usually spread their portfolio across a broad number of companies although they are primarily focused in the Tech sector (usually). That way due to the high risk nature of their investment strategy they can afford to have a few misses, or pull out after a series A, B etc. if things aren't panning out.

PE's however tend to be much more risk averse and can't afford to have a dog due to their high equity in their investments. They also will invest in just about anything as opposed to a primarily tech centered VC landscape.
gigemags-99
AG
quote:

I got this one, Kooch. One does venture captial and the other does private equity.
TajMaballer
AG
I love the song choices they use for the credits. Blockbuster Night seemed to really set the tone for things to come.
Kooch 3:16
AG
quote:
quote:

VC's portfolios primarily consist of startup companies with high-risk, high-reward scenarios.

PE porftolios are usually well established companies that are not living up to their potential.

PE's almost always buy 100% ownership of a company and then take full control of operations. Whereas a VC almost never gets more than 50% equity and gets limited input on how the company should or shouldn't operate.

VC's usually spread their portfolio across a broad number of companies although they are primarily focused in the Tech sector (usually). That way due to the high risk nature of their investment strategy they can afford to have a few misses, or pull out after a series A, B etc. if things aren't panning out.

PE's however tend to be much more risk averse and can't afford to have a dog due to their high equity in their investments. They also will invest in just about anything as opposed to a primarily tech centered VC landscape.

Agreed. You basically can look at VCs as being reasonably relaxed parental units. Each series or bridge is effectively your allowance. At some point, the money will run out, which normally leads to an exit.

There are two sides to PE companies (in my experience, most PEs operate this way): Mom is pretty understanding and will want to help you if she can; Dad was a Marine drill sergeant and he will skull**** you the moment you forget to do your chores or your bed's not made right.

The other side of traditional private equity is Growth Equity, which diverts a bit from SP's write-up above in that it's not really about finding companies that are struggling; it's about finding little dynamos, smaller companies with high growth rates/margins/EBITDA/etc and attempting to super-charge their growth even more in some way (investment, add-on acquisitions, cash management, etc).
GreasenUSA
AG
Last night's episode in real life:

Business Insider article

Bunk Moreland
Great first ep of the season.

Alec Berg and Mike Judge together is such a strong combo to run a show.
WestTxAg06
AG
Can we also discuss the greatness of Gavin ranting "I don't want to live in a world where someone else makes the world a better place better than we do"?

After the hilarity they did with companies all having ridiculous, clich, and self unaware turns on that phrase last year, it was hilarious to see Gavin take it to a new, embittered level.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.