*** Silicon Valley Season 2 ***

105,249 Views | 611 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Deputy Travis Junior
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I don't mind her at all. It's great to have hilarious goofs like Gregory, Russ, and Gavin, etc...but the crux of the show is Richard, Erlich, Gilfoyle, & Dinesh. You can't have ridiculously whacky guys from all angles all the time. Someone who is funny, but also a bit more toned down(as well as more professional than Peter, Russ, Gavin) will be needed for long-term viability. You have to have some characters that fit the part without as much caricature going on. Judge has always been a master at finding the right amount of believability with his characters.

I'm excited for next season. I do want to see them in an office, though, with some real progress with the direction of the company.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
I don't think anyone would have any complaints about her if she wasn't so similar to Peter Gregory (who is dead).
that's precisely why the character is terrible.
Red Five
AG
quote:
but the crux of the show is Richard, Erlich, Gilfoyle, & Dinesh and Jared.
Bunk Moreland
And Jared!
TecRecAg
AG
Jared... or other Jared?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
Jared... or other Jared?

Donald, also known as Jared, OJ, etc.
NoHo Hank
AG
Edit: Subsequent discussion made this quote / clarification unnecessary.

So instead, I think Gifoyle and Dinesh talking **** to each other for 30 minutes would be pretty good TV by itself.
PooDoo
AG
What did he say? I've always wanted to be in a suicide pact.
WestTxAg06
AG
quote:
quote:
Jared... or other Jared?

Donald, also known as Jared, OJ, etc.

I cracked up when the arbitrator was reciting the cause of action there. "For the hiring of Donald Dunn...aka Jared aka OJ...apparently."
WestTxAg06
AG
quote:
(1) I may be the only one who finds Laurie hysterical in small doses.

(2) for the sake of the company, isn't this the right move? Richard has not really been an effective leader, he needs someone to come in and build a company, not a tech platform

(3) for the sake of the show, i find Richard running the company funnier than someone they appoint.

(4) what made Peanuts / Charlie Brown funny was that they did not rely solely on the Lucy moving the football gag. Tone of other storylines. It seems Silicon Valley is just constantly yanking the company in and out of Richard's hands.

(5 ) the deletion sequence / dead cell phone was really contrived.

Still, this show is really funny.

I actually think, for sake of moving past the Charlie Brown/Lucy plot lines, removing Richard as CEO is a good thing.

Richard is clearly not suited to be a manager. If he remains the head of a growing corporation, the plot inevitably has to fall back on his struggles of running things and his inability to do that well. Thus, Richard is either constantly in the Charlie Brown/Lucy position or the Michael Scott "be terrible but somehow maintain your job" role. It's Silicon Valley, not Dunder-Mifflin, so the latter isn't believable and the former would get tired.

BUT: remove Richard as CEO and suddenly you have loads of fresh material. Richard is chafing in a subordinate role and having to take orders even though he is the visionary who made it all possible. Dinesh and Gilfoyle are constantly reminding him that he's been demoted, while trying to prove to the new CEO that each other are the worst at their jobs. Erlich is jockeying to curry favor with the CEO, even though he technically doesn't even work at Pied Piper. Jared is driving the CEO batty with his Jared-ness.

Lots of potential there.
Furlock Bones
AG
i hope you are right. i just rewatched the episode.

I'll say it again. Laurie is absolutely terrible. they should have left the weirdness of Peter Gregory out.

i also think they spent way too much time with the deletion/cell bit. it was terriblely unoriginal. they definitely left a lot of meat on the bone in this episode.
CTR14
Am I the only one upset Russ Hannaman is gone?
WestTxAg06
AG
quote:

I'll say it again. Laurie is absolutely terrible. they should have left the weirdness of Peter Gregory out.

Peter Gregory is dead.
Furlock Bones
AG
quote:
quote:

Peter Gregory is dead.
yes and your point?
Duncan Idaho
quote:
yes

Yes you are
tomtomdrumdrum
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Peter Gregory is dead.
yes and your point?
Peter Gregory is dead.
Objective Aggie
AG
quote:

Russ was funny.
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
i hope you are right. i just rewatched the episode.

i also think they spent way too much time with the deletion/cell bit. it was terriblely unoriginal. they definitely left a lot of meat on the bone in this episode.
You need to spend more time around geeks. Her weirdness was easily distinguishable from and quite different than Peter's. Laurie is more like a cyborg. She is aware of social customs and follows them robotically, but you can tell that it's such a chore for her that it's awkward.

Peter made no effort to stick to social norms and never gave any hint that he was aware of them. Those guys asked him for another round of funding and he stared blankly for too many seconds before replying with Socratic Method questions about cicadas and then told the intern to go buy everything on the Burger King menu ("I would like to try these burgers... of which... they are purportedly... king?"). Oh and his inflection was absolutely bizarre. He spoke half of his sentences like he was asking a question, even though he wasn't.

Saying they were the same is like saying the Spanish accents of Mexico and Spain are the same. You're missing something big.
SpreadsheetAg
AG
Russ was fun to laugh at in the same way that we have a Longhorn Meltdown Thread on the BL M&W Board...

He's so delusional and egotistical that his schtick is refreshing... we laugh at his dewshyness.
30_Days
AG
This was a great season, and I'm really excited to see how next season shapes up. I think it'll be really interesting if they place Monica as the CEO of Pied Piper.
LawHall88
AG
Certainly Gavin won't end up as CEO of Pied Piper, after being forced out of Hooli, right? That would be far too contrived for me.
30_Days
AG
quote:
Certainly Gavin won't end up as CEO of Pied Piper, after being forced out of Hooli, right? That would be far too contrived for me.

not likely, but I can see him and Richard bonding over their shared experience of being ousted, maybe teaming up for something else. They had a moment there in the restroom before the end of the arbitration.
Duncan Idaho
I enjoyed Russ but I am glad he is gone.

Objective Aggie
AG
One of the funniest scenes was when Russ keeps Richard he will never make billionaire. Couldn't find that one.

Here are two very NSFW links that are quite funny Russ moments

AgFB
AG
Does yours have doors that go like this? Or like this?
30_Days
AG
quote:
his obsession with the way the doors on his car open is one of the most genius bits of writing in the show
DonaldFDraper
AG
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
quote:

not likely, but I can see him and Richard bonding over their shared experience of being ousted, maybe teaming up for something else. They had a moment there in the restroom before the end of the arbitration.
A moment? Gavin was taunting the **** out of him.
Red Five
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

A moment? Gavin was taunting the **** out of him.
"What would you say if I offered you 10 million for Pied Piper right now?"

"Are you offering that?"

"What? No. Of course not. I'm about to get it for free."
LawHall88
AG
quote:
"What? No. Of course not. I'm about to get it for free."

Foreshadowing?
WestTxAg06
AG
quote:
quote:
his obsession with the way the doors on his car open is one of the most genius bits of writing in the show

Hey what has two thumbs and three commas? This guy.
Sex Panther
AG
Russ was hilarious. Hopefully he pops up every once in a while next season.
Objective Aggie
AG
MW03
AG
MW03
AG
quote:
And Jared!

Man, the best thing they did this season was with Jared. Between him issuing death threats in German in his sleep and unintentionally quoting Nazi propaganda, they have some kind of long joke running there that hasn't been fully realized yet.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.