*** Silicon Valley Season 2 ***

105,244 Views | 611 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Deputy Travis Junior
TecRecAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Good episode. Makes me excited for season 3.
TCTTS
AG
I didn't quite understand the shareholder breakdown or whatever it was at the end. So is Erlich now partly in charge of Pied Piper?
Deputy Travis Junior
No. With 3 of the 5 seats on the board, Raviga has a majority and can therefore choose the CEO. They haven't done that, but as it stands, they've voted Richard out. I guess he and Erlich still have seats on the board, but they have no real power since they're in the minority.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
No. With 3 of the 5 seats on the board, Raviga has a majority and can therefore choose the CEO. They haven't done that, but as it stands, they've voted Richard out. I guess he and Erlich still have seats on the board, but they have no real power since they're in the minority.

Thanks. I figured as much, but with Elrich's little quip there at the end I was wondering if I had missed something. Got it.
Hickory High
AG
Poor Richy
TCTTS
AG
Great interview with Mike Judge, re: the finale and season three. Some really good stuff. It's so refreshing for someone like him be so forthcoming with info...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/silicon-valley-creator-mike-judge-802390?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
bkag9824
AG
Thanks for the link. Sounds like those of you who don't like the repetitive "Lucy moving the football" are in for disappointment.

No thanks on more Laurie Bream.
Yay for more Big Head.

Oh and...

"I always wanted to be part of a suicide pact."
agmatt06
AG
quote:

Raviga only has the majority as long as Monica votes with Raviga right?

So...we can all see where next season will lead Monica...
Bunk Moreland
quote:
quote:

Raviga only has the majority as long as Monica votes with Raviga right?

So...we can all see where next season will lead Monica...

Exactly. The tease and cliffhanger was that Monica is voting with Raviga to secure a majority voting block at Raviga (and the implication that she has to if she wants to keep her job.)

Next season will obviously deal with that fun.
NoHo Hank
AG
Is it Monica that has the voting rights or Raviga? I doubt the company would put her on the board, but rather, have her operate as their agent. Though I suppose that may be glossed over. If it comes down to it, I think Monica goes to work for Pied Piper, which ought to be nice and awkward as it relates to their relationship with Raviga.

Overall, I was a touch disappointed in the finale to an otherwise stellar season. I felt the dying cell phone at the end was the easy way out to create suspense in a show that didn't really need it. Would have been funnier for him to call, they deleted it, get home, and then you find out that the code was **** and it wasn't really deleted or something like that.

The other thing is I didn't like that it ended on a down note. Failure is funnier than success, but this isn't a high drama show, it's a comedy. Let them have wins from time to time. Part of what made the first season successful was that a season full of ****ups resulted in a big win at the end. I don't need two game of thrones in my life.

All that said, it still featured numerous laugh out loud moments, and their attorney was a damn riot. I'd say it is the funniest thing on TV right now.
Al Bula
AG
Suzanne Cryer is a major weak point on the show for me.

So they will set up a new CEO of Pied Piper to replace Gavin Belson as the villain I am guessing. I hope Gavin gets canned from Hooli and begs to work for Pied Piper. I can even see him conning his way into being the new Pied Piper CEO but it is not very likely.

This show is money.
Bunk Moreland
Monica has one vote as she is on the board and was an early investor on her own.

Raviga now got 2 when purchasing Russ's stake in PP.

Therefore, the implication(that was stressed about 3 times when Monica was meeting with her boss) was that she will vote with Raviga's 2 vote however Raviga wants her to in order to assume a majority, or she'd be looking for a new job. Sure, she'd have her 1 vote still, but she'd be out a high profile job. Therefore, the majority 3 votes had the emergency meeting to remove Richard as CEO(Monica was forced into doing it).

Monica will either be the new head of Raviga, or she wont be working there by the end of next season. I'm excited for Baghead. That guy is on fire. 3 promotions in a year? Wow!
Centerpole90
AG
But would she retain the vote if not working for Raviga? It's Ravigas seat - the stipulation was Monica was their appointment; would that be binding if she was no longer in their employ. Will soon to be unemployed Gavin figure into this? Baghead on the Hooli rocket ship. Bring on season 3!!
et98
AG
quote:
Is it Monica that has the voting rights or Raviga? I doubt the company would put her on the board, but rather, have her operate as their agent. Though I suppose that may be glossed over. If it comes down to it, I think Monica goes to work for Pied Piper, which ought to be nice and awkward as it relates to their relationship with Raviga.
I think:
Richard has 1 vote (as part owner)
Erlich has 1 vote (as part owner)
Monica has 1 vote (she invested her personal capital in season 2 if I recall)
Russ earned 2 votes as part of his deal to back PP at the beginning of the season
Total of 5 votes.

Russ just sold his 2 votes to Raviga.
Raviga has 2 votes plus Monica, and all 3 just voted Richard out.

I know we're supposed to root for Richard, but that Raviga crazy lady is right. Richard sucks as a CEO. He's a technical genius, but he's completely inept on the business side of things.

Season 3 is shaping up to be a tug-of-war with Monica's swing vote.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Peter Gregory is dead.
Bunk Moreland
Raviga the company has no rights to Monica's vote. She personally invested in Pied Piper.

Again, that whole scene was Monica's boss flexing her muscles and making Monica completely aware that she will vote with Raviga's interests, or she will be fired from her job(separate from her vote she has with Pied Piper-she has that regardless of her position at Raviga). I'm not sure how some are so confused. It was a power play by her boss, and Monica still feels vulnerable without that job that she's worked so hard for...therefore she caved for the time being. It couldn't have been more obvious. Monica even sought clarification from her boss on if that's what she meant, and she responded in kind.
Red Five
AG
I think the confusion is because Peter Gregory paid Richard for a share of the company (5% I think). So even though Raviga didn't fun Pied Piper in the end, I thought that was where the board seat came from.
Bunk Moreland
Ok. I think it's more that people are forgetting that Monica went out of her way to invest in the company on her own, earning her a seat on the board and a vote, and now that Raviga has 2 from Russ again, they're confused on Monica's part.

Either way, it doesn't matter. Raviga basically told Monica "vote with us or you're fired from your day job"
COOL LASER FALCON
Monica invested in the company on her own, but I think her seat actually belongs to Richard.

As majority owner, Richard should have the majority of seats on the board. Himself, Ehrlich and Monica.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
I think the confusion is because Peter Gregory paid Richard for a share of the company (5% I think). So even though Raviga didn't fun Pied Piper in the end, I thought that was where the board seat came from.

No they just bought out Russ Hanneman's share. Remember when they had the board meeting at Russ's house and he had two seats, one for him, and then his European Slam piece had the other? Raviga bought those 2 seats, and then with Monica's seat that makes it three. So Richard is still on the board of directors, just not the president anymore.

I can already imagine the hilarity of some new guy coming to try and manage Gilfoyle and Dinesh. And Jared brown-nosing him.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Monica will be CEO.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Monica invested in the company on her own, but I think her seat actually belongs to Richard.

As majority owner, Richard should have the majority of seats on the board. Himself, Ehrlich and Monica.

No. Her seat belongs to her. She was an initial investor because she believed in the idea from the start.

Monica is struggling with how to vote(and apparently at the end ultimately sided with Raviga's 2 votes) because the new Peter Gregory lady basically told her in fewer words that "you will vote with our voting block or you will be fired from your day job with Raviga"

She's the ultimate swing vote. The vote is hers. So next season will not only include hilarity with a new CEO of PP, but she will ultimately be forced to make the decision to continue the Raviga majority, or swing towards Richard/Erlich and in the end, lose her job at Raviga.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
Monica will be CEO.
That's more in line what I'm thinking as well. The head job at Raviga is too big for her, so I don't see her somehow moving up that ladder.

She will fracture from Raviga for swinging her vote towards Richard/Erlich on some matter that is important, lose her job, then be voted in as CEO of PP by Erlich and Richard and her.
heisatouchdown
AG
Monica was like a 2% investor? I'm pretty sure that was Peters seat, that he let monica represent himself with, and Richard requested monica remain on the board during the funding episode.

Also why bring on Russ for a season and spend so much time with him. It almost seems like a waste... I do however hope Gavin either becomes big heads lacky or goes to end frame or something.
MW03
AG
Bunk, I'm not sure you're correct.

Initially, there were 2 board members. Richard and Peter Gregory (on behalf of Reviga).

Richard and Erlich got drunk at a toga party, and Richard made Erlich his 3rd board member.

After Peter died, Reviga made Monica their board representative since she knew the company and because Richard asked for it as part of his package when accepting less money from Reviga than the other offer sheets.

I think Monica just told Richard as an aside that she had invested her own bonus in the company. I don't think it was part of a seat negotiation.
COOL LASER FALCON
That makes the most sense
Red Five
AG
quote:

Initially, there were 2 board members. Richard and Peter Gregory (on behalf of Reviga).

Richard and Erlich got drunk at a toga party, and Richard made Erlich his 3rd board member.

After Peter died, Reviga made Monica their board representative since she knew the company and because Richard asked for it as part of his package when accepting less money from Reviga than the other offer sheets.

I think Monica just told Richard as an aside that she had invested her own bonus in the company. I don't think it was part of a seat negotiation.
This is what I thought was the case.
Bunk Moreland
quote:

Man. I thought i was 100% sure it was the other way, but now reading this post I'm starting to question it. Maybe that is right. I'll have to go back and re-watch it.

Y'all might be right now that I think about it. Apologies. Why did I think she had a seat of her own prior to the Gregory death.

And that makes more sense, as Monica would have at least stood up and opposed her boss a bit more in that scenario before caving.
MW03
AG
You're not totally off, though. Richard definitely made Monica having a board seat on behalf of Reviga a stipulation of their funding. So I think she'll be on the board as long as she's employed there, and there will be a struggle about whether or not she votes with Reviga at some point in Season 3 at the risk of her job.

I also think Monica as CEO would add an interesting element to the show as opposed to just generic new villain. Plus she would keep Richard involved in some capacity outside of his ownership stake, which keeps the character on the show.
rhutton125
AG
I think Russ was kind of played out. Wouldn't mind him not returning except for maybe a quick role in an episode or two.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
You're not totally off, though. Richard definitely made Monica having a board seat on behalf of Reviga a stipulation of their funding. So I think she'll be on the board as long as she's employed there, and there will be a struggle about whether or not she votes with Reviga at some point in Season 3 at the risk of her job.

I also think Monica as CEO would add an interesting element to the show as opposed to just generic new villain. Plus she would keep Richard involved in some capacity outside of his ownership stake, which keeps the character on the show.
Exactly. Ok now I remember.

Richard requested Monica represent Reviga with a seat on the board. But that wasn't written into the new contract.

Therefore, Reviga could technically pull Monica from the board, or she can vote in line with Reviga and keep her seat. So she would have the ability to swing her vote only once before losing her seat on the board, then whoever Reviga would appoint to the board in her place would just give them the majority right back. So the same "vote with us or you're done" scenario exists.
jtmoney03
AG
I could deal without anymore Laurie as well, but she did have a pretty laugh out loud moment last night...

"When we finalized the deal, he then described his erection to me..."
Objective Aggie
AG
(1) I may be the only one who finds Laurie hysterical in small doses.

(2) for the sake of the company, isn't this the right move? Richard has not really been an effective leader, he needs someone to come in and build a company, not a tech platform

(3) for the sake of the show, i find Richard running the company funnier than someone they appoint.

(4) what made Peanuts / Charlie Brown funny was that they did not rely solely on the Lucy moving the football gag. Tone of other storylines. It seems Silicon Valley is just constantly yanking the company in and out of Richard's hands.

(5 ) the deletion sequence / dead cell phone was really contrived.

Still, this show is really funny.
Centerpole90
AG
If it helps - I believe the 'Monica sits for Reviga' conversation happened out side Peter Gregory's funeral.

Peter Gregory is dead. Btw.
COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
(1) I may be the only one who finds Laurie hysterical in small doses.
I think she's really funny. I don't think anyone would have any complaints about her if she wasn't so similar to Peter Gregory (who is dead).

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.