**** Official The Hobbit Info Thread ****

132,560 Views | 982 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Elliot P. Campbell
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
so glad they made appropriate arrangements to get him in this film

coolest thing about him is his intense passion and vast knowledge of tolkien's world

[This message has been edited by unicyclist_ag (edited 7/21/2011 1:19p).]
sharkenleo
Absolutely, he is easily the most passionate Tolkien fan among the cast, and it's great to see him back. I loved seeing him at the end of the video, didn't see it coming at all.

This here is the "definitive" dwarf picture, straight from Pete himself and not fan made.

And here it is in all its high res glory if you're interested. (Didn't want to ruin the whole page)

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 7/21/2011 1:45p).]
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
bombur's massive braid-necklace is awesome
Sq. Six 89 Ag
bump
sharkenleo
May as well post since this was bumped.

Not a lot of news out of the Hobbit camp since July, but I know the second block of shooting started up in late August and finishes around December.

My guess is we'll start to see some more official pictures and production diaries soon. (Evangeline Lilly maybe? )

Edit: Also, this is pretty funny.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 10/5/2011 5:21p).]
aggiegirl13
AG
I spy Aiden Turner on the far right of that picture. Sucks for us he left Being Human for this, but good for him.
sharkenleo
New set pics!

Beorn's Hall

Hobbiton

Funny how it's been 10 years yet Elijah looks identical.

There's a great write up from the set here.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 10/31/2011 8:36p).]
sharkenleo
PJ has announced that the world premiere of The Hobbit will be in Wellington NZ, no big surpise there. Story here http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/5869717/Wellington-gets-World-Hobbit-premiere

---------------

WB released some cool videos on the impact of LOTR to promote the new videogame. First here, second here.
sharkenleo
Couple more set/scenery pics:

And the full set: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/11/02/49719-beorn-radagast-super-set-pics-from-south-island/#more-49719
sharkenleo

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 11/4/2011 1:46a).]
sharkenleo
New production diary is up.
http://www.facebook.com/PeterJacksonNZ

It's a lot PJ explaining exactly how they're shooting the film with the new RED 3D camera's, why they're shooting at 48 fps, etc.

I cannot wait to see how this is gonna look in 3D. I have absolutely no doubt that it's going to far surpass what Avatar did visually.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
how did i miss those set pics?! completely and utterly awesome
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
just watched the production video too, pretty awesome! the technology being used here is really cool. i would be a bit nervous about the story being forgotten among all the cool tech, if not for the fact that LOTR broke new ground in areas of technology as well and the story was still told superbly
amercer
AG
good stuff.

quote:
Funny how it's been 10 years yet Elijah looks identical.

Well yeah, he eats peoples souls.... (Sin City 2, to start filming soonish).
sharkenleo
He also clones himself every few years.

http://teamcoco.com/video/elijah-wood-secret-look-young
sharkenleo
A Hobbit's Tale by Fredegar Chubb.

Funny and interesting story of a Hobbit extra about the makeup and feet, getting his Hobbit name, getting to know Martin Freeman, etc.

For those of you who don't feel like reading, this here's Leroy.

Cromagnum
AG
I'm not too keen on them introducing characters we've seen in LOTR that were never mentioned in The Hobbit, and I'm downright pissed that they are making characters up out of the blue.

I'm not sure where a good cutpoint will be, but I suspect it might be after they escape from the goblins or in Mirkwood.
KidDoc
AG
Oh man can't wait...

I'm seriously considering doing the LOTR feast @ Alamo with my son after Thanksgiving. Sounds pretty awesome but 12 hours is a long time to watch movies and feast!

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2011/01/lord-of-the-rings-feast/

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
sharkenleo
That sounds awesome.

I went to the extended edition re-releases this summer and it was epic.
sharkenleo
That said, a 12 hour marathon could get quite taxing. As huge a fan as I am, I don't know if I could sit for that long.
sharkenleo
According to spy reports, looks like the battle of five armies might start filming in the very near future. Can't wait for those pics.

Meantime, here's one tweeted by Ian McKellen earlier today.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 11/13/2011 3:20p).]
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Battle of Five Armies will be great, but what I want to see is what they go with for The Lonely Mountain.

Great updates, btw, Sharkenleo.
sharkenleo
Hobbit teaser trailer is online!

Ok, so not till Christmas but that's still mega exciting news. I had a very good feeling we would get one in December.

And thanks for the props, Journalist.
sharkenleo
Elijah Wood said in an interview yesterday that the trailer will be showing in front of Tintin on December 21st. Can. Not. Wait.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
quote:
That said, a 12 hour marathon could get quite taxing. As huge a fan as I am, I don't know if I could sit for that long.

really? i've done this 5 or 6 times. it's a yearly tradition now, relaxes and re-energizes my mind
sharkenleo
Depends really. If I'm relaxing at home and can take breaks, I can totally do it. At the movie theater, not sure.
sharkenleo
The teaser trailer has been shown!

quote:
While our intrepid reporter MrCere is currently in New Zealand — back in the States a very big surprise was revealed to audiences at the Butt-Numb-A-Thon geek film festival (held in Texas by AICN founder Harry Knowles). That’s right, THE HOBBIT teaser trailer was unspooled less than 24 hours ago and quickly the Twitterverse began sparkling with reactions. Comments included such tweets as:

“Is it a spoiler to tweet that Gandalf magically sent @EricVespe to us with THE HOBBIT trailer and @woodelijah was the trailer bearer? ”
Ringer fans were waiting (im)patiently for the footage to arrive in U.S. theaters this Christmas, but lo and behold! Elijah Wood was there to help present as Mr. Vespe (“Quint”) brought the most anticipated footage in all geekdom back to Austin. Mr. Wood himself tweeted today:

“Didn’t that trailer kill? So excited to see it…”
More than the opening few minutes of DARK KNIGHT RISES, and much more than any AVENGERS tidbit, this teaser trailer is pretty much the Holy Grail for HOBBIT fans who have waited a decade to see a first glimpse of Peter Jackson’s return to Middle-earth. We will post more info and share reactions as they come in. But the wait is finally over (for those who were there)!

UPDATE: Nordling, AICN staff, writes:

Yes, we saw THE HOBBIT: AN UNEXPECTED JOURNEY trailer thanks to Gandalf The Grey magically transporting Quint from the beautiful landscapes of Middle-Earth to the Alamo Drafthouse in Austin, Texas. No, I can’t talk about any specifics except to say that something I always treasured from the original book is in the trailer in a big way and I was very happy to hear it. The trailer will play in front of THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN and it’s simply sublime. It’s more character-based than epic, but it’s like slipping into a warm embrace from a very old friend that you haven’t seen in many years. Truly wonderful.

Update #2: Tolkienbritta

While writing, TolkienBritta quotes Jordan Hoffman of IFC News by stating: “Hoffman also added that, “Hearing the music and seeing The Shire I was surprised at the flood of emotions that hit me. It was like seeing old friends. (And something to look out for: a band of Dwarves sing. It’s a thing of beauty.)””

So jealous of those lucky people.
TCTTS
AG
Just one more week...
sharkenleo
Exactly one year to go!
jkag89
PatriotAg02
AG
Can't wait!
codenameduchess
AG
God, I can't wait!!!
sharkenleo

From the new issue of empire.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
ahhhhhh
sharkenleo
Trailer coming tonight!

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=85252

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.