**** Official The Hobbit Info Thread ****

132,592 Views | 982 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wow. Finding a good 3D HFR midnight showing in Manhattan is proving to be a pain in the ass.

I was planning on going to the "true" IMAX theater in Manhattan (and was forgoing HFR), but they're showing it in 2D. For a movie shot in 3D, half the experience is lost. So no go on that one.

Then I started looking at Digital IMAX theaters(smaller but HFR-capable) in 3D and HFR. Turns out not a single theater in Manhattan is showing it in IMAX 3D HFR. Closest is in Syracuse.

So I'm down to either Digital IMAX 3D, or HFR 3D on a standard screen.

Edit: Finally managed to find an Digital IMAX 3D HFR showing on 34th. Never been to the theater but hopefully it's a decent sized screen.

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 11/25/2013 10:33a).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well crap. Now there's another variable to be considered, Dolby Atmos.

Anyone ever seen a movie with Dolby Atmos sound? How was it? Atmos showings are starting to pop up on Fandango now, but doesn't look like my theater will have it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

Fuller look at Smaug than we've had so far I think.
AgBeliever
AG
quote:
"First look" at Evangeline Lilly, looking rather elf-ish.

bbattbq01
AG
quote:
Well crap. Now there's another variable to be considered, Dolby Atmos.

Anyone ever seen a movie with Dolby Atmos sound? How was it? Atmos showings are starting to pop up on Fandango now, but doesn't look like my theater will have it.

I saw hobbit with atmos. Was cool, basically the theater is lined with speakers. Lots and lots of speakers.

Wouldn't make or break the movie but best if there is a screening available.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Early twitter reviews starting to come in, and so far very positive. General consensus seems to be a major improvement over the first.

Here's a link to an IMDB thread with the collection of tweets:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1170358/board/flat/222863420?p=1

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 12/3/2013 12:40p).]
RedbeardAG
AG
All I know is I'm going to Denny's before I watch the movie. Gonna get me some Hobbit Hole.

[This message has been edited by RedbeardAG (edited 12/3/2013 1:21p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Hobbit at #10 in Time's top 10 movies of the year.

quote:
Who could guess, after the meandering first feature in a seemingly unnecessary eight-hour trilogy of films based on a novel of less than 300 pages, that Peter Jackson had such a vigorous and thrilling middle episode in store? With Bilbo (Martin Freeman), Gandalf (Ian McKellen) and the dwarves finally done with introductory dawdling, they dive into a nonstop adventure among the noble Elves, the rough-hewn humans of Laketown and the ferocious dragon Smaug (voiced by Benedict Cumberbatch). This time, Andy Serkis has not lent his presence to Gollum, but his work as second-unit director is spectacular. Each complex encounter, especially a flume-ride escape of the dwarves, boasts a teeming ingenuity of action and character. A bonus: the budding romance of the warrior Elf Tauriel (Evangeline Lilly) and the dwarf hunk Kili (Aidan Turner). In all, this is a splendid achievement, close to the grandeur of Jackson’s Lord of the Rings films.

http://entertainment.time.com/2013/12/04/arts-and-entertainment/
amercer
AG
So PJ made a bunch of **** up, but it's not as boring as the first one? Not exactly a ringing endorsement. I liked the first one (see this thread 10 pages ago), but it's just kind of fan fiction at this point.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Will Evangeline Lilly be meeting Fili in his elven prison for a conjugal visit?
ChipFTAC01
AG
One thing that I would really like for them to not screw up/drastically change the story is Bilbo living in Thranduil's halls with his ring. Hiding in shadows and then gradually finding the the drawves and then gradually breaking them out one at a time before stuffing them in the barrels. I'm pretty sure that the barrel escape isn't going to be to my liking, but acknowledge that otherwise it would be kind of a boring part of the tale. And Jackson has 9 hours of film to fill I guess.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
I'm pretty sure that the barrel escape isn't going to be to my liking, but acknowledge that otherwise it would be kind of a boring part of the tale.

From what I've read, everyone says it's the best part of the movie.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
So PJ made a bunch of **** up, but it's not as boring as the first one? Not exactly a ringing endorsement. I liked the first one (see this thread 10 pages ago), but it's just kind of fan fiction at this point.

I really don't understand this mentality. The fact that it's not a 1-for-1 adaptation of the book automatically makes it a bad film?

Would you really like to see the Battle of Five Armies get built up, then have Bilbo knocked unconscious and we miss 90% of the battle? Accept the movie for what it is, an adaptation.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Elf + dwarf romance? Did a fanfic writer come up with that storyline?

and
quote:
Would you really like to see the Battle of Five Armies get built up, then have Bilbo knocked unconscious and we miss 90% of the battle?

Hey, it worked in Big Trouble in Little China!

R0GUE
AG
There was a scene in the extended edition of the first movie where we find out Fili fancies elf girls, he just has a hard time telling them apart from the elf lads.
amercer
AG
quote:
quote:

I really don't understand this mentality. The fact that it's not a 1-for-1 adaptation of the book automatically makes it a bad film?

Would you really like to see the Battle of Five Armies get built up, then have Bilbo knocked unconscious and we miss 90% of the battle? Accept the movie for what it is, an adaptation.

It's an adaptation that didn't need to happen. The Hobbit is a cool, short, simple book which is almost perfectly suited for one PJ length movie. No 30 minute goblin car chase sequences necessary.

Again, I thought the first one was good and I'm sure the next ones will be as well, but it doesn't really fit in the Tolkien universe.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Couple of official reviews.

http://variety.com/2013/film/reviews/the-hobbit-the-desolation-of-smaug-review-1200919206/
quote:
After a bumpy beginning with 'An Unexpected Journey,' Peter Jackson's 'Hobbit' trilogy finds its footing in this much more exciting and purposeful second chapter.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/hobbit-desolation-smaug/review/663372
quote:
Nearly everything about "The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug" represents an improvement over the first installment of Peter Jackson's three-part adaptation of J.R.R. Tolkien's beloved creation, writes Todd McCarthy.

And now Empire. 5 stars.

http://www.empireonline.com/reviews/reviewcomplete.asp?FID=137814

I'm sensing a trend...

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 12/6/2013 2:55p).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Embargo lifts today. Currently sitting at 73% on RT with 15 reviews in. More should be flooding in throughout the day.
zgood10
AG
78% with 18. Good to see this
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
81%.

Anyone got their tickets yet?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
For those interested, the soundtrack is now on Spotify.

Just a day and a half to go!
Jrod05
AG
yup ill be there
bbattbq01
AG
Tonight tonight tonight
hunter2012
AG
so 3d or 2d?
bbattbq01
AG
I'm seeing it hfr 3d with atmos sound.
Jrod05
AG
2d i hate 3d
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nice bbatt. Imax hfr 3D here.
KidDoc
AG
HFR 3D at Draft House can't wait! On Sunday.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
bbattbq01
AG
(Creating a spoiler thread and moving comment there)

[This message has been edited by Bbattbq01 (edited 12/13/2013 3:15a).]
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
moved to spoilers thread

[This message has been edited by Elliot P. Campbell (edited 12/13/2013 3:24a).]
mid90
AG
moved to spoilers thread

[This message has been edited by mid90 (edited 12/13/2013 3:20a).]
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
lol well it didn't take long for the different opinions to come out
mid90
AG
nope haha
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Posted my review in the spoilers thread. Overall, 8.8/10.

http://forums.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2421435&forum_id=13

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 12/13/2013 10:27a).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Dang it. Ian McKellen surprised the audience at the IMAX in NYC that I usually go to. Went to a different theater last night because it had HFR and 3D.

Thoroughly enjoyed the experience but knowing I missed out on that makes me sad.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.