**** Official The Hobbit Info Thread ****

132,606 Views | 982 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
sharkenleo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah I'm not really digging it as much as I'd hoped, but I'll wait till we see him in full bear form.
MSCAg
AG
Looks like Ben Stiller as teen wolf.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
It is staggering to know a guy looks that much like Orlando Bloom but isn't him.
ChipFTAC01
AG
If it were me, I would have just picked a huge dude and give him a big black lumberjack beard. Doesn't need to be all tricked up.
Texas Yarddog
AG
Same here, chip. Always imagined someone like Nick Brimble's Little John for Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, but in flannel.

sharkenleo
Agreed.
jeffk
AG
The guy from the Dr. Pepper 10 commercials?

[This message has been edited by jeffk (edited 10/25/2013 6:59a).]
aggietoolman
AG
Not a fan of the casting of Beorn at all. Too scrawny. The teen wolf references are sadly right on.
sharkenleo
Would y'all have preferred this route?
sharkenleo
But seriously, once **** hits the fan, you know he's gonna bring it.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 10/25/2013 9:05a).]
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Same here, chip. Always imagined someone like Nick Brimble's Little John for Robin Hood Prince of Thieves, but in flannel.

Yeah, basically. Maybe a little less homeless-y looking, but that's the general gist. But huge. Some big 6'8" dude. So he towers over Ian McKellan (although I guess they can force perspective to make him seem any size).
BillOnCapitolHill

Kevin Costner?
Ulrich
That looks like the cover of a werewolf book by Danielle Steel.
Ulrich
...and Beorn should have looked like an angry Hagrid. That was so easy. On first glance, Bard shouldn't look so... Orlando Bloom-like. He should be another craggy, battered Viggo Mortenson type character.

I was initially ok with the Hobbit being a three parter and thought the first one was good, but I'm hearing/seeing more and more things that don't look that good and that stray from the book... almost like they are trying to steer the story to appeal more to the teenage girl demographic.

[This message has been edited by Ulrich (edited 10/25/2013 12:36p).]
aggietoolman
AG
Bard isn't as bad as Beorn, but it's not right either. Thought the cast was done really well prior to these two.
PatAg
AG
I don't pick up on that at all Ulrich.
Ulrich
I could be wrong, there are really only two pieces of evidence. Orlando Bloom's character gets a romance written in. Bard should be a weathered warrior, instead he's an Orlando Bloom lookalike.
sharkenleo
quote:
Orlando Bloom's character gets a romance written in.

Already confirmed that's not the case. May be a love interest for one of the younger dwarfs though.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Lotta new tv spots been dropping lately. Getting close...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLikUn-pIOo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB2BaAFPhz4
Brian Earl Spilner
AG

New Sneak Peek

Production Blog #12
ChipFTAC01
AG
Does Jackson or New Line really need to tell us that the Hobbit is from "the Director of the Lord of the Rings trilogy"? Wouldn't pretty much every single person either A) Already know that B) Assume that to be the case or C) Not care at all?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Can't hurt. Directors change all the time within series these days. Even this movie came pretty close with Del Toro.

[This message has been edited by Brian Earl Spilner (edited 11/5/2013 9:27a).]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty sweet new banner for DoS.

http://www.ew.com/ew/special/0,,20483133_20752139,00.html
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
New song for the movie called I See Fire. Love it.

One month to go.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
i finally was able to sit down and watch the first movie from beginning to end (hey, I've got twin toddlers) - and well, uh, it kinda sucked. I hate to be the guy Jim Gaffigan warns you about, but suddenly I have no interest in seeing the second movie ... what the hell happened to me?
Jim01
AG
Finally just watched the first one this week as well, the extended edition. I liked it but it was very slow. And my biggest gripe?

Hey Gandalf, thanks for rescuing us with these huge birds, but, um... WTF?!?!?! You are friends with huge birds? Why the hell have we been walking this entire time? And why the hell did they drop us off here instead of right by the damn mountain we are trying to get to???
mattvswild
AG
I was not a fan of the first movie either. I'll try the second, but I'm not terribly optimistic.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
If I recall correctly, the eagles don't exactly involve themselves in things unless they really have to and then only as much as is absolutely necessary. That's the one thing about this and The Lord of the Rings, I think a lot of what seem to be plot holes are sewn up if you've read the books. Shouldn't be that way as probably most haven't read them, but it is what it is.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I liked the first one quite a bit, but I'll admit it's no Lord of the Rings. I think once you temper your expectations just a bit, you can enjoy it much more.

That said, it does seem like the new one is much more in the vein of the "epic" scope of the LOTR trilogy, so I'm excited to see if they pull it off.
DallasAggie0
Yes otherwise the Eagles could have just flown Frodo from the Shire to Mount Doom and the story would have been 10 minutes long.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Eagles would've met their doom at the hands of the Nazgul and the Witch King.
Jim01
AG
I figured there was some magical reason to explain the birds, but not having read the books it just cracked me up.

The first one was a whole lot of setup I think and the next one should be better. Still a good movie.
leoj
AG
actually they would not have met their doom, they are the ones who dealt with the dragons in the Silmarillion as well, I think they can handle some snake with wings.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
The deal with the Eagles is that they aren't servants and they aren't all that concerned with the affairs of men, elves, dwarves, hobbits, etc., sort of like the Ents. They're only going to do something drastic if it is they really, really think it worthwhile. If you've read the Harry Potter books, think of them like Firenze and the centaurs.

However, Gandalf is not a man nor anything else, he's something a little higher up the chain and when he asks for their dire help, they've been known to send aid, but only to the degree that they feel necessary.
redline248
AG
quote:
Hey Gandalf, thanks for rescuing us with these huge birds, but, um... WTF?!?!?! You are friends with huge birds? Why the hell have we been walking this entire time? And why the hell did they drop us off here instead of right by the damn mountain we are trying to get to???

That's the problem with changing book material.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.