**** Official The Hobbit Info Thread ****

132,559 Views | 982 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
PatriotAg02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So is the high frame rate good? It's all that's available
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
It's fantastic. Better than the first.
PatriotAg02
AG
I had forgotten about the Hfr in the first movie. It was ok. The movie was great though. Better than the first one.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
So as someone who cannot stand spiders, is that going to wig me out?
Bruce Almighty
AG
My wife has the most extreme case of arachnophobia I have ever seen. Like Charlotte's Web freaks her out bad. She had her head turned the entire time but didn't run out of the theater or have nightmares or anything.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Grew up in Lake Jackson on the edge of some woods, where we frequently found big spiders in our house. Banana spiders and others. So that would be the source of my Arachnaphobia.

Having said that, the Mirkwood sequence surprisingly didn't cause me any issues. I did kinda avert my eyes to the point of watching out of the corner of my eye.

Loved the movie
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The last movie has been retitled "The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies".

Gotta say, I'm not loving it. Obviously it's more of an obvious, "action" title, but the actual battle isn't all that central to the story, IMO. I thought the original title "There and Back Again" was much better, much more Tolkien, but alas.

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/apr/24/peter-jackson-hobbit-battle-of-the-five-armies
mid90
AG
quote:
Grew up in Lake Jackson

Me too!

I do remember seeing a MASSIVE banana spider at church once. *shivers*
mid90
AG
quote:
I thought the original title "There and Back Again" was much better, much more Tolkien, but alas.

Sadly, the Hobbit movie trilogy has never been about being 'Tolkien'.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I loved the original LOTR theory dearly and own all 3 on DVD. First Hobbit came out when my kids were about 6 months old, only saw it on HBO and didn't like it; didn't see the second one at all.

However, that is one awesome movie poster.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I thought the second one was better than the first.
jlb2957
AG
Second one was better solely because of Smaug. He is pretty much the only redeeming part of these movies.

I don't necessarily dislike them, but they just seem so very "meh".
amercer
AG
And the thread is back for one more go around!!!

No need to rehash my posts from the last 5 years though. I have zero expectations for this movie beyond it being big, long, and loud. I'm sure ill enjoy it though. It's been too long since I've read all the books again. I'll wait another year though so I can enjoy hot dragon action without getting too pissed
tallgrant
A good friend of mine I think nailed it: it was an interesting action film, but it wasn't The Hobbit. I think that encapsulates it well- there are neat things to see on the screen but the things that made the novel (and most of Tolkien's work) great are not present in these films.
bbattbq01
AG
Looking forward to my half day marathon in the theater. Will be entertaining if nothing else!
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I like the movies but I'm not a fan of the additions/changes to the story itself. I'm not including the stuff being added that is part of the greater LOTR universe as written by Tolkien in that. Those extras I enjoy, but the changes to the story that have no basis in his works are annoying and largely unnecessary. And obviously older Orlando Bloom in a movie set prior to the LOTR is distracting to me.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Elrond in full armor at Dol Guldur.

And I think this suggests the battle of five armies will take place in the snow. This looks badass.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Why is it snowing if its a few days after Durin's Day?
ChipFTAC01
AG
Although, now that I think about it, Laketown was covered in ice. I thought that was an interesting thought when I watched Hobbit 2. I had never thought about it being that far north.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Has anyone watched the 70s animated Hobbit recently? I don't remember them even going to Laketown.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Durin's Day is the last full moon of Autumn, correct? So it makes sense to have snow in late autumn or early winter in the far north, especially up near the Lonely Mountain.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Here's a description of the teaser shown at Comic Con: http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2014/07/26/91326-breaking-peter-jackson-presents-the-hobbit-the-battle-of-the-five-armies-in-hall-h/

Love that they used Billy Boyd's song from ROTK.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Well, they've finally done it. A teaser for the teaser. Is the internet going to collapse in on itself soon?

http://instagram.com/p/q9zm4pQc9l/

Full teaser going live tomorrow at 3 PM ET.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
The orc in that picture looks awesome. I will never understand why they went so hardcore with the CGI for these movies. Gollum was really well done but it still wasn't perfect. You could tell, but they had to do that for that character. So much of it for this one was just completely unnecessary.
redline248
AG
Still looking forward to the movie, even if the first 2 were meh.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
As am I. I've enjoyed them, just think they could have been every bit as great as the LOTR.
Post removed:
by user
wangus12
AG
Ok
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Little harsh there.

Not as good as the LOTR trilogy obviously, but geez.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Teaser trailer is up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSzeFFsKEt4&feature=share
ChipFTAC01
AG
I don't think that I actually saw the movie in the theater, but I've watched it several times on airplanes in the last couple of months.

My general thoughts.

1) Beorn was strange. And didn't seem particularly badass.

2) I'm kind of surprised Jackson didn't make the journey through Mirkwood longer and more drawn out. But that's probably OK.

3) As I speculated a few pages back, I was sad that I was robbed of a faithful telling of the drwaves/Bilbo's time in the Elf dungeons.

4) I really don't like the weird Fili/Kate love story.

5) The barrel car chase scene was well choreographed/planned but overdone.

6) I didn't like Bard at all or really any of the time in Laketown. The fight in Laketown was pretty badass.

7) The end fight scene with Smaug and the forges was pretty well done. Several times I've fast forwarded and just watched that 20 minutes or so.
redline248
AG
Funny, I hated that part with Smaug the most. Granted, I have only seen it once, and I'm sure the scene is executed well, I just thought it was stupid.
Orome
AG
Man that looks bad
Orome
AG
Man that looks bad

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.