**** Official The Hobbit Info Thread ****

132,555 Views | 982 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
jlb2957
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Can't. Freaking. Wait.
WorkBoots09
AG
Check out the Woot t-shirt for today lol

http://shirt.woot.com/#

I bought one.
Ol Jock 99
AG
Does anyone have a guess on the outline of the 3 movies? I haven't noticed Smaug in any of the previews for the 1st.

I think hard core fans of the LOTR and Middle Earth will like 3 movies. More causal fans might be turned off.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I see the time line being something like this:

Movie 1

Bag End
Trolls
Rivendell
Goblins/Misty Mountain
Gollum
Wargs/Goblins/Fire
Eagles
Beorn?

Movie 2

Beorn?
Mirkwood
White Council with the Necromancer
Elk King
Barrel Ride
Laketown

Movie 3

Trip up to Erebor
Hunt for the entrance
Smaug
Death of Smaug
Pre- BOFA
BOFA
After BOFA
Trip home
Ol Jock 99
AG
Yeah, that's stretching it out too much. It is a nice little story that would fit into standard LOTR length movie (~3hrs) just fine.

Don't get me wrong, I'm exciting about it. I'm thinking of folks like my mom, who at 62 owns the LOTR movies and loves the books. I told her at TGiving that there would 3 Hobbit movies...she was NOT pleased.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I agree. I love the hobbit, I probably read it 6 or 7 times as a kid and a couple of times as an adult. Used to have a VHS of the old cartoon version that I loved. Just don't see how it's 8 hours of content. Especially when the three LOTR books we're ly 10 hours of content.
jlb2957
AG
Yeah...have you guys followed any of the news about this movie at all? I mean...at least do a little research before *****ing, please.

The Hobbit will show material that is mentioned during the books but not actually talked about at length. The white council meeting regarding the necromancer and various other things. These movies will not be strictly only that which is talked about at length in the book. This is why it was originally 2 movies and, after Peter Jackson got approval from the studio because he had so much he didn't want to cut, 3 movies.

I love the idea that Jackson has so much great footage that he doesn't want to trim it down for the "casual moviegoer".
Ol Jock 99
AG
Oh look. We have a feisty little internet orc. Back to your hole.
jlb2957
AG
quote:
Oh look. We have a feisty little internet orc. Back to your hole.

Not really enough room with you in there...
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Yeah...have you guys followed any of the news about this movie at all? I mean...at least do a little research before *****ing, please.

Well, Jock and I have both been following this thread for the past 4 years at least so I'd say we both are fairly interested in what the movie contains. And you'll note that I specifically tossed in the White Council dealing with the necromancer in my timeline.

Angry, superior nerds are funny.
jlb2957
AG
quote:
Angry, superior nerds are funny.

Pot...kettle...

Also

quote:
Just don't see how it's 8 hours of content.

You just laid how you "SEE" them making 3 movies of about 8 hrs total, then went on to say how you can't see how they could make it that long...make up your mind?

[This message has been edited by jlb2957 (edited 11/28/2012 9:45a).]
ChipFTAC01
AG
Just because I covered all of the chapters in the book doesn't mean that I think there's 8 hours of content. How much can you show of Bilbo running around in the Elf King's halls or trudging through Mirkwood?

I just tried to basically break the book into thirds looking for natural stopping points.
jlb2957
AG
The intro in the Shire alone will probably be 30-45 minutes.

From what they show of the Goblin city part in previews and such, that part seems like it will take a while as well.

I also see the 2nd movie ending with the introduction of smaug and the 3rd movie taking place after...which is really a lot of events that are just glanced over briefly in the book.
Ol Jock 99
AG
^
You see, that isn't "The Hobbit". That is "A History of Middle Earth from the Beginning of the Third Age Until the War of the Ring."

Calling it "The Hobbit" will have a GREAT MANY people come in expecting a nice movie about the book. You know, the roughly 250 page read which parents have shared with their preteens for decades. And THAT, minus Smaug, is what the previews are promising.

Hey, I'm a Tolken fanboy (different from causal fan). I'm excited to get "AHOMEFTBOTTAUTWOTR" on film. But that's not "The Hobbit".

Big gamble on Jackson's part in my opinion.

[This message has been edited by Ol Jock 99 (edited 11/28/2012 10:30a).]
amercer
AG
quote:
AHOMEFTBOTTAUTWOTR

amercer
AG
To quote myself from this thread, in 2009.....

quote:
Excited for the first movie. Terrified of the second.

The Hobbit is actually about the right length to make into an awesome movie without having to ditch many details--although if we are unlucky they will scrap Beorn for an added 15min goblin car chase sequence

Making a Tolkien movie more or less out of thin air though? That just can't end well. They botched enough when working of the most detailed fantasy book ever written. Just do The Silmarillion.

And that was before it was THREE movies. I'm hopeful, but good golly this thing could go the wrong way. I'll see them all in the theater, and I don't think I'll mind editorial changes to the Hobbit as much as I did LOTRs, but I don't know how many people are going to want to sit through a 9 hour Hobbit movie. Hopefully a ton so PJ can make his 27 hour Silmarillion some day.....

[This message has been edited by amercer (edited 11/28/2012 11:21a).]
ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
Hopefully a ton so PJ can make his 27 hour Silmarillion some day.....

Ha! The first 37 minutes are just black screen with Illuvatar playing the creation song on a banjo.
WorkBoots09
AG
LMFAO Chip
sharkenleo
2 weeks to go. Crazy.
KidDoc
AG
Got tickets for me and the kids (18 and 13) for alamo drafthouse in Austin in 3d and reserve seats for 12/15! Cannot wait and leave that they do reserve seating!
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
sharkenleo
Smaug. Is. In. This.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7V_ZT6NGd2k
YellowPot_97
AG
to quote myself from page 2
quote:
gas is $4.00 a gallon and too high!!!!

(we'll see how we feel about this in 2011)

it's now '12, and luckily gas isn't back that high. I expected to look back wishing for $4 gas.
WorkBoots09
AG
Smaug is black and the size of a Nazgul? I hope I saw that wrong...
OnlyForNow
AG
Doesn't look black and looks way bigger than a nazgul.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I guess I hadn't ever thought about how big Smaug really should be. From nose to to the tip of the tail, how big are you thinking?
sharkenleo
We'll find out in 2 weeks. Smaug cameo appearance has been confirmed. Probably a flashback to the Dale attack.
OnlyForNow
AG
He looks 3-4 times nose to tail as wide as the house/inn he flew over. So I'm guessing supposed to be prolly 50-100 feet long. Wing span will be massive for body size but that's normal for mythical dragons. I am guessing size wise e resembles the white dragon in the last Harry potter movie.

I'm also guessing he is smokey irradesent.
sharkenleo

Hard to see much of anything.
Al Bula
AG
quote:
Smaug is black and the size of a Nazgul? I hope I saw that wrong...
lol whut?
sharkenleo
Little bit clearer screen caps: http://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/12/01/210315/
sharkenleo
Finally we're back up. Was gonna post this earlier but TA was down.

Six new clips were released today. If you're trying to stay as unspoiled as possible, I suggest skipping them, but I'm impatient.

http://collider.com/hobbit-movie-clips-hobbit-unexpected-journey-clips/215680/
amercer
AG
First reviews are out. Complain that it's too long. Color me shocked

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movie/hobbit-an-unexpected-journey/review/397416

[This message has been edited by amercer (edited 12/4/2012 7:54p).]
JCB75Ag
AG
Mr. Beaks from aintitcoolnews.com has posted his review and it's less than glowing.. though he does note some positives.

the 48 fps is not going over well either.
jlb2957
AG
quote:
the 48 fps is not going over well either.

Yeah, I'm going to be sure to see the movie in 24fps.
sharkenleo
I've already got my ticket for 48fps and am excited to see it for myself.

I'll judge the movie on its own merits, and probably watch it again in IMAX. But even the not-so-great reactions to the 48fps have said how incredibly clear the image looks, so I think at the very least, the landscapes will be amazing to see in such clarity.

LOTR is my favorite film series of all time, so the early reviews have kind of readjusted my impossibly high expectations for this movie, but either way, next Thursday can't get here fast enough.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.