**** Official The Hobbit Info Thread ****

132,553 Views | 982 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Final trailer

Got high hopes for this one. Looks a little darker, more epic, more at stake. Here's hoping the battle of five armies is more helm's deep, less goblintown.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The nine in their original armor?

ChipFTAC01
AG
Random through, the crypt for the 9 that Gandalf got up to to find they'd been freed. Any thoughts on where that was? Is that addressed in any of the other source material?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Don't think that tomb was ever mentioned by Tolkien. Could be wrong though.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I find it bizarre how little Smaug is in the trailer. It's basically spoiling non-book readers that he isn't much of a part of this movie. Considering they made him the unseen menace in the first movie and the Big Bad in the 2nd, where the heck is he in the third? If they could have had some more clips of him, at least people would think he was siding with Sauron, as Gandalf feared.

My only hope for this movie, which I won't see until it's on HBO 9 months from now, is that they stay true to Bilbo not taking part in the final battle. Of course that gives him jacksquat to do in the movie, other than try to use the Arkenstone as barter to stop the battle from happening, then sit around doing nothing during the fight until Thorin kicks it, but hey, I'm sure PJ has thought up a bunch of BS for him to run around doing in the meantime.

I really wonder wtf they're going to do in Dol Guldur, the little clip of Saruman makes me think maybe he'll go off alone to "finish off Sauron" but instead have a nice little chat with him and come back and say "Yep, I killed him, nope his body ... uh, disintegrated. No need to worry about it!"
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Knowing how PJ likes to do his own thing at times, maybe Smaug actually doesn't get killed at Laketown, and shows up unexpectedly at the Battle of Five Armies.

Granted, it's way out there, but you never know.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I will say this - seeing as how the attack on Laketown seems it's being relegated to nothing more than an opening act for this movie, it annoys me that they lifted it from the second movie. Completely robbed that movie of its climax.
jbsj9698
AG
I would love to take the these movies and edit them down to one or two and remove all of the superfluous crap that has been added. There are some really great scenes in both (Riddles in the Dark being the best IMO). The problem is they are surrounded by a lot of crap.
Noblemen06
AG
quote:
I find it bizarre how little Smaug is in the trailer. It's basically spoiling non-book readers that he isn't much of a part of this movie.
How many of these people exist? I thought the Hobbit was akin to Huck Finn as far as compulsory reading goes.
Quad Dog
AG
quote:
quote:
They have to do something to fill up 3 hrs of movie time since there are only about 20 pages of the book left.

Has anyone actually looked to see where, page wise, where Hobbit 2 left off?
You got me curious, so pulled out my copy. Smaug leaves the Mountain and heads south towards the Running River on page 231. The Battle of Five Armies wraps up on 294, and the book ends on 303. For the record the first movie ends on page 101.
This is my version, paperback.
OnlyForNow
AG
That's a fat little hobbitsis. *golum golum* [croaked in a low coughing voice]
jkag89
quote:
I would love to take the these movies and edit them down to one or two and remove all of the superfluous crap that has been added. There are some really great scenes in both (Riddles in the Dark being the best IMO). The problem is they are surrounded by a lot of crap.
I agree. While far from perfect, I enjoyed An Unexpected Journey. The Desolation of Smaug just pissed me off, there was some very good stuff but it was surrounded by absolute crap.
redline248
AG
That trailer made me even less interested. If Kili dies defending Kate instead of protecting Thorin's body...
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
quote:
I find it bizarre how little Smaug is in the trailer. It's basically spoiling non-book readers that he isn't much of a part of this movie.
How many of these people exist? I thought the Hobbit was akin to Huck Finn as far as compulsory reading goes.

We never read it in school. In fact I didn't read it until 1-2 years ago.

wangus12
AG
quote:
If Kili dies defending Kate instead of protecting Thorin's body...

Spoilers!

JK, but I'm with you. My only hope is that since they've created that little love affair, she finds Kili after he has been killed or mortally wounded. So this can happen

ChipFTAC01
AG
quote:
quote:

We didn't read it in school. I just read it because it was on the family book shelf sometime in elementary school. Maybe I'd seen the cartoon before then. Actually I seem to recall having a very abbreviated book on tape as well, but maybe I'm just projecting my memories of the cartoon.
scubasteve304
AG
Ditto, never read it in school.
amercer
AG
At least this will finally be the end.

I mean until PJ does a Hobbit on ice Christmas special.
PatAg
AG
Basically, these are very good movies. However, once you fall into the mire that is this thread, it will be the worst thing in history.
Stive
AG
I didn't read it in school either. Read it as a young adult as the LOTR movies started to come out.

Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
Basically, these are very good movies.
I am a huge LOTR fan. I was there opening day for all 3, and own all 3 of the extended edition DVD. No one I know has ever called any of the Hobbit movies very good, or even good.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
So the implication is that only a nobody would actually like these movies? You sound like many here who claim there is no fourth Indiana Jones movies, or the Star Wars prequels are the worst movies ever made.

LOTR was far more compelling, books and movies. The Hobbit movies have been good, not great, but that does not lessen my enjoyment of them.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I'm not saying only a nobody would like it, only that in my circle of people, which includes lots and lots of movie fans, no one has said "Wow, those Hobbit movies were good!"

The two biggest Tolkien fans I know were both monumentally disappointed to the point that neither saw the 2nd one. I'm not trying to rain on your disappointment, just stating what I know from my own experience.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
quote:
I'm not saying only a nobody would like it, only that in my circle of people, which includes lots and lots of movie fans, no one has said "Wow, those Hobbit movies were good!"

The two biggest Tolkien fans I know were both monumentally disappointed to the point that neither saw the 2nd one. I'm not trying to rain on your enjoyment, just stating what I know from my own experience.

I like the prequels regardless of the hate.
BarryProfit
quote:
So the implication is that only a nobody would actually like these movies? You sound like many here who claim there is no fourth Indiana Jones movies, or the Star Wars prequels are the worst movies ever made.

LOTR was far more compelling, books and movies. The Hobbit movies have been good, not great, but that does not lessen my enjoyment of them.

The Star Wars prequels did suck.
amercer
AG
quote:

There are plenty of watchable movies that make lots of money that are neither good nor very good. The hobbit movies fall in that category. Unlike many other movies in that category though, these were based on really extraordinary source material. That's what makes it disappointing, especially to Tolkien fans.
redline248
AG
quote:

Silmarillion 6 movie epic starting in 2019
Noblemen06
AG
quote:
quote:

Silmarillion 6 movie epic starting in 2019
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The Hobbit movies have been good, not great, IMO. (Huge LOTR fan obviously.)

Just being in Middle Earth and having Howard Shore's music is enough for me to enjoy the movies, but I will agree that they're not nearly on the same level as LOTR.

That said, this third one looks like it may be the best in the trilogy.
bbattbq01
AG
Bought my marathon ticket for the 15th. Gonna be a looooong afternoon/evening!
Brian Earl Spilner
Ulrich
The first two Hobbit movies = Transformers: Middle Earth

That's an exaggeration, but there is a lot of gratuitous CGI action to stretch the movie into three segments when it should be two at most, or even one long movie. As a Tolkien purist, they turn me off by deviating so heavily from a story that doesn't need embellishment. However, they do have some great scenes (even for a fanboy) and I would expect them to be an enjoyable watch for people who are looking for a fun movie rather than a faithful representation of a classic novel.

I'll watch part three in theaters because I expect it to be by far the best of the three.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I haven't minded stuff added from the appendices but the stuff like the river chase scene and elf dwarf love story are irritating. I completely agree that using CGI instead of makeup was a terrible decision and is really distracting. It's like they got so much praise for gollum in the Lord of the Rings and decided to do everything that way.
wesag
AG
quote:

That's an exaggeration, but there is a lot of gratuitous CGI action to stretch the movie into three segments when it should be two at most, or even one long movie. As a Tolkien purist, they turn me off by deviating so heavily from a story that doesn't need embellishment. However, they do have some great scenes (even for a fanboy) and I would expect them to be an enjoyable watch for people who are looking for a fun movie rather than a faithful representation of a classic novel.

I'll watch part three in theaters because I expect it to be by far the best of the three.

Spot on for the second movie. The first movie wasn't far from the book, as movies go.
wesag
AG
quote:

Spot on for the second movie. The first movie wasn't far from the book, as movies go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.