**** Official The Hobbit Info Thread ****

132,573 Views | 982 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
sharkenleo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
These 2 are the youngest in the company (just kids by dwarf standards), so I think's it cool they went with a slender, more youthful approach. No mistaking who the young guys are. Also you gotta have some eye candy for the ladies I suppose.

Very pleased.

So here's what we got so far: Nori, Ori, Dori, Oin, Gloin, Fili, and Kili.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 7/12/2011 2:45p).]

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 7/20/2011 2:50p).]
redline248
AG
Where's Snow White in that picture?
sharkenleo
I'm sure we'll get an Evangeline Lilly photo soon enough.
sharkenleo

Bombur is huge lol
sharkenleo
Any thoughts on the new guys?

We just have Balin, Dwalin, and Thorin left to go. I was taking another look at the picture on the previous page of them sitting in Bag End, and I hadn't noticed until now that the dwarf on the far left looks very much like he has a mohawk. I'm pretty sure Thorin is the one in the center, so it's either Balin or Dwalin with that mohawk. Gotta say, not at all what I would've expected before these pictures starting coming out, but I kinda dig it.
redline248
AG
I will not be a fan of Balin with a mohawk.
redline248
AG
upon further inspection of this photo

I don't think that is a Mohawk, looks more like a wooden beam supporting the roof. That dwarf looks bald on top. Was either Balin or Dwalin bald? We assume Thorin is the one at the end of the table (based on that guy not being in the other photos of dwarves and the King/leader probably sits at the head). Also, there is one on the right that has super white hair that I don't think has shown up in the other photos.
sharkenleo
I don't recall any dwarf being bald, so it will be another Jackson liberty either way (not that I have anything against it, otherwise we'd have 13 nearly identical dwarves).

He could be bald though. We'll find out soon enough.

I wonder if they're only showing us the 13 dwarves or if we're getting glimpses of the rest of the characters like Bard, Beorn, etc. Personally I can't wait to see what they're going to do with Beorn.
redline248
AG
I'm more interested in seeing what they are gonna do with Kate
sharkenleo

quote:
Peter Jackson's upcoming film, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, has been hotly anticipated by everyone from Tolkien obsessives to film buffs. The crew behind the movie, including Jackson himself, has kept fans salivating by documenting the movie's production through blog posts and videos. But TIME is the first to bring you this image of two characters from the film, dwarves named Balin and Dwalin. Below, find Warner Bros.' description of the two, and then click on for more images of The Hobbit's beloved dwarves.

"Dwarf Lords in their own right, Balin and Dwalin are close relatives of Thorin. Beyond this, these brothers are two of his most loyal and trusted friends. An old warrior, Balin has lived through hard times and fought many battles, yet he harbors doubts about the wisdom of the Quest to retake the Lonely Mountain. Dwalin has no such forebodings – his belief in Thorin’s leadership is unshakeable. A powerful and bruising fighter, with a natural tendency to distrust anyone who is not a Dwarf, particularly anyone who might be an Elf, Dwalin is not someone to cross lightly."

Good call on the bald redline.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 7/15/2011 9:58a).]
redline248
AG
So it appears that Balin is going to be older than Thorin, although I don't remember that being the case. Guess it's not a big deal.
sharkenleo
One more to go...

sharkenleo
Thorin Oakenshield, King Under the Mountain

and a good article describing each dwarf in detail http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2011/07/17/46145-theonering-net-exclusive-behold-thorin-oakenshield-and-orcrist/

I love his overall look, with the exception of his lack of beard. He'd be absolutely dead-on if his beard was bigger, imo.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 7/17/2011 4:21p).]
redline248
AG
He looks pretty badass, but no real beard and too young looking to be a dwarf in my opinion. At least now that I've seen the pic I'll have plenty of time to get over it. Ha.

I can't wait to see him and the others murdering some Goblins.
LeonardSkinner
Cool, I'm excited about the movies, can't wait...

But darned if that last picture didn't remind me of Gowron from ST:TNG.
sharkenleo
I don't know who that is, but I keep hearing about a resemblance to klingons. I guess I can see it a little bit. A little Rob Zombie-esque, too.

I just wish the darn beard was a bit longer.
LeonardSkinner
redline248
AG
Nerd comment about Orcrist: Shouldn't it look similar to the sword Gandalf has in the LOTR movies? If I am remembering correctly, both Gandalf and Thorin got the swords at the same time, from the same cache of weapons and they are supposed to be twins (so to speak).
Simplebay
AG
redline, as i understand it Glamdring (Gandalf's sword) and Orchist are both Elven swords, as are many. and can both glow blue in the presence of Orcs like Sting (Frodo/Bilbo's sword).

but, i don't recall anything about them being twins.

that being said, i couldve just said a whole bunch of wrong.
07ag
AG
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyXJBV0zlo4
weta commercial that played before the recent lord of the rings extended edition theater showings
redline248
AG
...just because I'm a big nerd...

quote:
Glamdring, along with Orcrist, its mate, are described in The Hobbit as having "...beautiful scabbards and jeweled hilts"

From Lord of the Rings wiki
http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Glamdring

I suppose it doesn't technically mean they look identical, but I always imagined them as so.
sharkenleo
Loved watching that weta commercial in theaters before every show last month. Also theonering.net commercial.

Speaking of which, TORn will be doing a Hobbit panel at comic con on thursday, and will be streaming it live. I'll post a link the day of.

I don't suppose we'll see a clip, but one can hope for more pics

quote:
A reminder that TheOneRing.net will be at Comic-Con this Thursday giving a 50-minute presentation titled “Hobbit Talk,” which we are hoping to stream live as we also bring the flavor of Comic-Con to readers.

Our friends at Weta wanted to remind fans that they will have a booth on the showroom floor and pass along this message:
“Weta Workshop would like to welcome all our friends from theonering.net to come visit us at the Weta booth at Comic Con next week. This year we have a bigger crew than ever before with conceptual designers Daniel Falconer, Greg Broadmore, Paul Tobin, Claire Hackett, Stephen Crowe and Stuart Thomas all attending. Joining them are Model Makers / Technicians Dave Tremont, Shari Finn and Sam Mott, plus a few old friends, Jeremy Bennett, Rebecca Holguin and Jeffrey Lai (and Tim Launder arranging the top shelves). Our space has been reduced a little this year. We are still situated at booth #2615 sharing with Dark Horse Comics, but on the opposite side of their booth to usual.

“Please come and say Hi. We can’t talk about a certain movie project, but we can give you a warm Kiwi welcome, make some chainmaille together and share our passion for creativity. Of course there will be plenty of LOTR goodness on display with Rivendell, Bag End, Gandalf, Gollum and a few other sneaksy tricks up our sleeves. See you there !”

See you Thursday in room 7AB at 10 a.m. and video all week from San Diego!

And the description on the comic con website:
quote:
10:00-11:00 TheOneRing.net: Hobbit Talk— From the decade-old and perhaps most influential fan site on the Interwebs (and a consistent breaking news source), staff vets Clifford Broadway (Quickbeam) and Larry D. Curtis (MrCere) take a good, hard look at the latest from the two Hobbit films' production. Since this isn't a studio affair, you'll get the street-level latest (authorized and unauthorized) as well as spy reports, rumors, and even informed opinions. Surprise guests are a possibility; audio and visuals are a given with a Q&A and all sorts of fun. Room 7AB

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 7/19/2011 10:37a).]
redline248
AG
So The Hobbit is supposed to be 2 movies, right? Where do we all think the end for the first movie will come?

Captured by goblins?
Captured by the elves?
About to enter Mirkwood?

When Kate forces them to abandon their quest and get off the island? oh wait.
Simplebay
AG
didn't they say the White Council at Dol Guldur will be in the movie(s)?

which....kinda gives me a chubby.
redline248
AG
At Dol Guldar or about Dol Guldar?
sharkenleo
Yep simple, ****'s gonna be epic.

I feel like they might end part 1 right around he time they get to mirkwood, when gandalf leaves to tend to "other business".
sharkenleo
I'm sure they'll also incorporate stuff from The Quest of Erebor to make everything more relevant to LOTR.

It explains how Gandalf found the map and key, why he chose to help Thorin, why he chose Bilbo, etc. And since this is told as a personal account of Gandalf's to Frodo, this is probably how Frodo will come into play in the movie.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 7/20/2011 12:01p).]
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
quote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZyXJBV0zlo4
weta commercial that played before the recent lord of the rings extended edition theater showings

man that's awesome

working at Weta is seriously one of my ultimate dreams...only problem is i don't have a lick of artistic talent
sharkenleo
http://www.theonering.net/live/

The stream goes live tomorrow at noon central time.

Also, new fb update from PJ.
quote:
Good news and bad news today. Bad news is that we won't be doing any Hobbit presentation at Comic Con in San Diego this year. New Line and Warner Bros were very happy to support a presentation, but I declined, simply because I felt it was too early. There's so much more of the films still to shoot. I just wanted to get that out there, because I've seen various references to the possibility of something Hobbity at Comic Con. Hate to disappoint anyone. But something tells me we will be there in force next year.

Now for the good news...

We've just finished a new video blog, covering a little more of the first block of shooting. So please enjoy this—at least you don't have to travel to San Deigo to see it!

I've been on the go since wrapping the first shooting block, but I'm about to settle down and get into the much delayed 20 Questions. I've a few half-written and will get those done very, very soon! I promise!

Cheers,

Peter J

Video is here.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 7/20/2011 8:25p).]
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
i love these videos! so awesome!

also...ahhh! christopher lee back as saruman!

[This message has been edited by unicyclist_ag (edited 7/20/2011 9:28p).]
ChipFTAC01
AG
That was cool. Jackson has put on a lot of weight since they wrapped and he left location.
redline248
AG
Wonder if Saruman is going to be a d-bag in this one.
sharkenleo
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
i love how hilariously huge they made him
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Looks like they're filming Lee's scenes at Pinewood in England.
He'd previously said he'd like to reprise his role as Saruman, but was too old to travel to the set in New Zea land. Good to see they brought the set to him!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.