**** Official The Hobbit Info Thread ****

132,582 Views | 982 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
Ol Jock 99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Jackson should have spent less time nursing a hedgehog and more time discussing eagles.
PatAg
AG
A couple things.

One, it is definitely silly to say you think a movie is underwhelming without ever seeing it.

Two, this movie did a great job of capturing the attitude/mood of the books. A bit more whimsical then LotR and I loved that they actually had the dwarves singing.
I'm actually one of the few people who have also read the Simarillion, so there is no such thing to me as too much I guess. I would imagine the next movie would involve Gandalf and some of the elves going off to deal with the Necromancer, instead of it happening off screen.

I thought they did a perfect job of the riddle game with Gollum.
Kampfers
AG
quote:
Fair enough. I've been around enough fanboys to know that many get their feelings hurt when someone doesn't like their movie and feel the need to lash out (comment sections of rotten tomatoes). I consider myself a fanboy of the Marvel universe.

Haha, no, I was just making a jest about being a fanboy by taking my rational view (that the hobbit was a good movie) to an irrational extreme (that people who think otherwise are retards).
Say Chowdah
AG
Wife, daughter and I saw it yesterday. I really enjoyed it once it got going. It took a while to get there but once it did it was exciting and even touching. I wasn't prepared to see comedy but it was also funny in parts. I am going to try the 3d 48 FPS version this week.
jlb2957
AG
quote:
But answer this question. I haven't read any of the books so I don't know anything about the characters besides what's in the movies. Why don't those eagle things just drop them off to their final destination? Wouldn't it just make their journey a heck of a lot easier? Serious question.....I don't know.

Long posts about this in another review thread. Will not post again because it was a lot.

Remember, this is not some random fantasy movie about goofy little critters. It is based in a very realized world created by Tolkien. Every creature and race has a history and there is a reason for why everything is going on at this particular time in the history of middle earth.

Link contains a lot of Tolkein nerdery. If you do not want to read about ideas why they didnt' help, then do not read. If you are seriously curious and not just making a joke, then give it a read.
http://texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?topic_id=2238265&forum_id=13
Tomdoss92
AG
quote:
Jackson should have spent less time nursing a hedgehog and more time discussing eagles.

[This message has been edited by Tomdoss92 (edited 12/31/2012 3:18p).]
sharkenleo
Just announced that part 3 has been moved from July to December 2014. Oddly, I'm kind of glad. A Hobbit movie in the summer would've felt weird to me.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/02/28/69532-third-hobbit-moved-from-july-to-december-2014/?fb_source=pubv1
DTP02
AG
Question re the beginning of the movie:

Took my oldest son to watch it recently but I got the time wrong and we missed the first ~20 minutes or so. We walked in when they were in Bag End and Thorin was discussing how the expedition was put together.

What did we miss?

My son, almost 10, loved the movie after reading the book recently and I got a kick out of him enjoying one of my favorite books and movies from when I was a kid ( hey, the cartoon version was all we had back then!).

I enjoyed it as well--- like some of the changes Jackson made, but didn't like others. Overall, thought it was quite good.

[This message has been edited by DTP02 (edited 2/28/2013 9:59p).]
sharkenleo
You missed a prologue explaining how Smaug attacked Dale and ran the dwarves out of their kingdom, and a short scene between old Bilbo and Frodo that takes place the day of Bilbo's birthday, right before the events of Fellowship start.
jlb2957
AG
And you missed the great back and forth between Bilbo and Gandalf... I loved that part.
bbattbq01
AG
quote:
Just announced that part 3 has been moved from July to December 2014. Oddly, I'm kind of glad. A Hobbit movie in the summer would've felt weird to me.

http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2013/02/28/69532-third-hobbit-moved-from-july-to-december-2014/?fb_source=pubv1

That's annoying... I was looking forward to not having to wait a whole year.
amercer
AG
This thread, back from the dead so soon...

I saw the movie, finally, about a month ago.

I actually think in some ways it was better than the book [/awaits lighting bolt]

After making the LOTRs movies there wasn't anyway to film a simple Hobbit story. So they remade the story to be a full prequel, which the book is most certainly not. I re-read the hobbit about two months ago though, and it's striking how little detail is in the book. Events that would take 10 pages in LOTRs get a paragraph in the Hobbit. Fill it out to LOTR scale and you kind of get exactly the movie they made.

I think they played up the Dwarf/Elf hate too much, and the Dwarf/Bilbo disdain as well, but overall I thought it was great. Even if PJ stil has a way of changing little details that need no changing (Gandalf not in the cave when the Dwarfs are captured).
Cromagnum
AG
Would buy the bluray coming soon, but plan on waiting for the extended release version sure to come out in time for christmas.
jr15aggie
AG
quote:
Would buy the bluray coming soon, but plan on waiting for the extended release version sure to come out in time for christmas.

I have the extended edition LOTR and love them... definitely the better versions. But I've sorta convinced myself that the theatrical Hobbit will be the way to go. I mean, it's already a bit bloated as it is. Feels like the extended editions cold be worse this go round.

Thoughts?
sharkenleo
I'm waiting for the extended editions, mainly because I am a sucker for the bonus features. I'm sure the extras will be killer for the extended edition.

That said, I am admittedly a LOTR nerd and I won't mind the longer running time one bit.
KidDoc
AG
Ooh thanks for the reminder about the extended edition. I loved the cut material in the LOTR series so I will have to wait for the extended cut Hobbit as well.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I finally sawit tonight. Actually I'm just finishing it and the party is up in the trees after Goblintown right now.

All in all I've been happy with it. I hated the Goblin King. Why is he the only Orc that speaks the Kings English? The fight in Goblin Town might be my favorite battle from the movies.

I like how they handled Thorins mistrust of the elves in Rivendell.

Beautiful movie
sharkenleo
Smaug the Terrible?

ChipFTAC01
AG
I was a little disappointed with how they handled the scene at the end of the movie. I think the scene in the trees is a really well written (by Tolkein) of the dwarves just accidentally ending up in this meeting spot, and then the orcs trying to burn them out of the tree before the eagles save them.

That being said, Jackson's version was pretty cool as well.

I thought the Radagast stuff was silly (like just about everyone from what I remember reading when the movie came out) but I understand Jackson needed a vehicle to communicate what was going on at Dol Guldur.
ChipFTAC01
AG
I will say that other than Thorin, Fili/Kili (not sure which is which) and Bombur, I have no idea who any of the dwarves are. And I don't feel like they made any attempt at allowing you to get to know them.

Of the rest of them, I feel like they had no character differentiation at all other than the old, wise one that talked with Thorin in the beginning of the movie, the badass one with the head tats and the nerdy one with the sling shot.
Ulrich
quote:
I thought the Radagast stuff was silly (like just about everyone from what I remember reading when the movie came out) but I understand Jackson needed a vehicle to communicate what was going on at Dol Guldur.

Radagast seemed like the Jar-Jar Binks of this movie. Comic relief taken too far. He's still a Maiar. It has been a long time since I read The Hobbit, but I don't remember him being such a punchline.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Radagast is just mentioned by name but isn't actually in the Hobbit (book).
sharkenleo
"First look" at Evangeline Lilly, looking rather elf-ish.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 6/11/2013 12:21a).]
ChipFTAC01
AG
They're finally making a Legend of Zelda movie?
sharkenleo

Teaser trailer coming tuesday.
redline248
AG
quote:
Tauriel isn’t only a fierce warrior; she has a softer side, too. “She will definitely have a love story,” Lilly says. “I can’t give away too much about it. It’s not a huge focus but it is there and it is important and it does drive Tauriel and her story and her actions.”

edit for source: http://insidemovies.ew.com/2013/06/05/evangeline-lilly-hobbit-desolation-of-smaug/

[This message has been edited by redline248 (edited 6/11/2013 12:18a).]
sharkenleo
Why is that a bad thing? I can understand not loving the idea of adding in non-Tolkien characters, but not sure why the love story bothers you.

I thought they did a good job with Aragorn/Arwen.
redline248
AG
I thought he did a terrible job with Aragorn/Arwen

I just don't understand the need for a love story in a movie. It's not going to make it better.
Elliot P. Campbell
AG
^ disagree completely, i loved that they beefed up that story arc. and i felt that viggo and liv had great on-screen chemistry
MSCAg
AG
quote:
I thought he did a terrible job with Aragorn/Arwen

I just don't understand the need for a love story in a movie. It's not going to make it better.

+1
sharkenleo
Teaser is out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnaojlfdUbs&feature=youtu.be

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 6/11/2013 12:11p).]
sharkenleo

So excited.
zgood10
AG
Bad CG
bbattbq01
AG
surprised he revealed smaug in first trailer
07ag
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.