**** Official The Hobbit Info Thread ****

132,588 Views | 982 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Fat Bib Fortuna
sharkenleo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Great article on the Hobbit I read today. Here's the cover.

http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=24081

GDT talks about his intention to make the second of the films a seamless transition into Fellowship as opposed to making the Hobbit series a standalone feature, which is exciting. Empire calls The Hobbit the most anticipated movie of 2011, and we don't even know what else is coming out that year. Great article if you wanna pick it up.

Thanks for the bump Htown.
atfarmer
damn i can't wait for this movie to come out...
Any new news on this?

BTW
quote:
gas is $4.00 a gallon and too high!!!!

(we'll see how we feel about this in 2011)

HA
sharkenleo
not huge news, but hugo weaving has been confirmed
AG

"Aggies don't lie, cheat, or steal, nor do they tolerate those who do!" - Aggie Code of Honor
sharkenleo
quote:
Will Doctor Who star David Tennant be announced as the new Bilbo Baggins at Comic-Con next week?

The LA Times is spreading the rumours, citing the fact that David Tennant is over in San Diego to promote Doctor Who - a show he will shortly be leaving - as evidence that he will accept the part. Hobbit director Guillermo del Toro is also scheduled to be at the event.

http://movies.ign.com/articles/100/1004766p1.html
sharkenleo
quote:
Stuff.co.nz report that, “The hobbit holes of Matamata are coming to life again”. Work, including planting fruit trees and marking off the sites for new hobbit homes, has started on the site used for Hobbiton in the LotR movies. Filming of The Hobbit movies is due to start in March 2010.

I don't know about anyone else, but now that they've 'officially' started prepping I'm getting pretty excited that it's finally gonna happen.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 7/23/2009 7:28p).]
sharkenleo

sharkenleo
Screenplay is finished, meaning attention will shift to casting. Expect an announcement relatively soon.
Al Bula
AG
Cool pics!
amercer
AG
Excited for the first movie. Terrified of the second.

The Hobbit is actually about the right length to make into an awesome movie without having to ditch many details--although if we are unlucky they will scrap Beorn for an added 15min goblin car chase sequence

Making a Tolkien movie more or less out of thin air though? That just can't end well. They botched enough when working of the most detailed fantasy book ever written. Just do The Silmarillion.
kingkroop
should be great
J. Walter Weatherman

quote:
maybe brett favre will still being playing

Wouldn't rule it out.
AG
This is the Hobbit I grew up watching. I can't wait for the live screen version!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSHLGnexe-w

"Aggies don't lie, cheat, or steal, nor do they tolerate those who do!" - Aggie Code of Honor
YouBet
AG
What was the name of the dude that could turn into a massive wolf or bear in the Hobbit? Wonder if he'll be in it.
ChipFTAC01
AG
Beorn
Quad Dog
AG
quote:
Making a Tolkien movie more or less out of thin air though? That just can't end well.

There might be enough material from Tolkien to fill in the gaps from Hobbit to LoTR. Ever read Unfinished Tails? Gollum tracking Bilbo. Aragorn hunting Gollum. Gandalf discovering Sauron as the necromancer, and trying to get Saruman to fight him. Formation of The White Council.
sharkenleo
Yeah there's plenty of material to work from. Even then, they've already said they're doing more of a Hobbit Part 1 and 2 kinda thing than a Hobbit movie followed by a bridge movie.

Worked well for Kill Bill.
sharkenleo
Not much news lately. But I was thinking about it, and here's who I think should play Bilbo.

Disco Stu
AG
I thought I read recently(last week or so) that it was being delayed.
phildickinson1
This just in:

sharkenleo
URGENT! Now Peter Jackson Negotiating With Studios To Direct 'The Hobbit' Films

UPDATED WRITE-THRU - EXCLUSIVE: In what amounts to a dream come true for fans of Middle Earth, Peter Jackson has decided to direct two installments of The Hobbit, trusted sources are telling me. His deal is being negotiated right now with Warner Bros , New Line, and MGM. He will shortly take the reins over from Guillermo del Toro, after Jackson extricates himself from other project obligations that caused Jackson and manager Ken Kamins to initially deny he would direct. While Jackson’s camp has been tight-lipped, I’m told that the case is being made to MGM's owners to loosen the purse strings and make the movies happen. The impetus for these talks is that Jackson will be the director of both of The Hobbit films, which will be shot back-to-back in his New Zealand backyard. The secret's out.
sharkenleo
http://www.deadline.com/2010/06/urgent-peter-jackson-negotiating-to-direct-the-hobbit-films/#more-49562

Great news if true.
amercer
AG
Finally some good news.

sharkenleo
It's official. PJ directing The Hobbit.

http://www.rttnews.com/Content/EntertainmentNews.aspx?Section=2&Id=1349649&SM=1

Best news to come out of the hobbit camp in a LONG time.
BillgoCU
Pearl Jam is directing the Hobbit?
sharkenleo
http://www.deadline.com/2010/10/the-hobbit-finally-starts-filming-in-february/#more-75886
----------------------------------------------------------
'The Hobbit' Finally Filming In February, But Peter Jackson & Unions Still At Odds

UPDATE:Things must be getting close on The Hobbit, because casting buzz is getting strong in Hollywood. word is Martin Freeman will soon be set to play Bilbo Baggins, that Jimmy Nesbitt has been offered a role and that Michael Fassbender is being pursued for another as is David Tennant. Ian McKellan and Andy Serkis are expected to reprise Gandalf and Gollum.

EARLIER: While it looks like production on The Hobbit is set to start in February on the pair of films directed by Peter Jackson, there are still a few giant issues standing in the way. The films had to go in early 2011 to make the holiday release date. But even though the production schedule looks locked, there's still the issue of the loud labor fight happening between Jackson and the unions, which have told performers outright not to work on the film because it's a non-union production. By agreeing to a detente, the films would indeed get underway in New Zealand in early 2011. The delay has also been caused by all the ongoing problems at MGM, and just this week Lionsgate put forth a merger recommendation which Carl Icahn backs. That would obviously affect the pending Spyglass deal -- and add more drama to any major production going forward. (Meanwhile, while MGM goes through all of its tumult, Mary Parent is expectedly in the process of leaving the studio, which she has run for almost three years.) And the financial questions surrounding The Hobbit still remain: How much of the $500 million bill is Warner Bros footing? And who will eventually pony up for MGM's part. MGM owns international distribution rights. Another delay in all of this has been the negotiation with Jackson. He co-wrote the script and was always a producer, but he only came on board recently to replace Guillermo del Toro as director. December 2012 is the release date for the first first film and the second comes one year later. Both are in 3D.

----------------------------------------------------------

I feel a hell of a lot better about this than I did yesterday.

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 10/15/2010 6:20p).]
sharkenleo
By the way, that article doesn't make it clear, but the films were officially greenlit. la times confirms, and now the only problem is the labor dispute or whatever. but i don't think it's gonna delay production.
SteadicaTm
AG
so what has changed? still effin problems with the union
edit: cool. greenlighted

[This message has been edited by Uli_Kunkel (edited 10/15/2010 11:56p).]
snowdog90
I know I'm probably in the minority, but I'm a huge fan of Tolkien, and I was hugely disappointed with the LOTR movies. Jackson did not impress me at all. He seems to be great with getting the look right, but none of the feel.

I was excited about GDT directing, but now we get more of the same cheesey face shots we got with LOTR. I'm not too enthused.
sharkenleo
yeah, i'd say you're in the minority.
sharkenleo
more good news

SAG has ended its boycott of the films
sharkenleo
martin freeman is official!

this is seriously happening now.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/film/4264520/Martin-Freeman-to-play-Bilbo-Baggins

[This message has been edited by sharkenleo (edited 10/21/2010 9:37p).]
YouBet
AG
quote:
and I was hugely disappointed with the LOTR movies.

Torbush.
AgPediRPh
AG
I loved Tim from "the Office". Great casting!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.