Is Abbott lifting the state wide mask mandate today?

66,636 Views | 703 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by Captain Pablo
c-jags
How long do you want to ignore this user?
3rd Generation Ag said:

I already have to place myself at risk by teaching every day. I am lucky that at 72 I was able to get the vaccine first dose in January, secon in February. But schools even with the supposed extra cleaning are dirty places. And even with the mask mandate, cover your nose has been the most frequent teacher comment all year. I live in an over 55 apartment community and we have had several deaths from covid among my friends. First I don't want to be the Angel of Death and bring anything back here and second I was never lucky when it came to things that were 95 percent. I have zero luck and never have had any. So I take precautions. Other than school, and seeing my kids right after Thanksgiving and Christmas, I have stayed in. Ordered from Amazon or Curbside at Kroger/Walmart. I want to still be here when we get to the other side of this, and I think in a couple of months more, things will be safer as more get the shots. In my department of 30 teachers, only four of us have been able to get the shot so far. Me due to age, and three due to very high risk health issues. Even with many kdis opting for virtual, we have new student cases regularly, almost daily. And that is with masks and social distancing desks.

I never ate out in the first place. I would have already shopped, but the Ice storm hit the weekend that was two weeks, and last weekend I thought shelves would be too empty still to be worth any risk. Will try to get to the grocery this weekend before a total lifting officially hits, then sit things out probably until summer.

Completely understand. I was simply trying to put a more sensitive take on your situation with some optimism towards the amount of spread at a place like H-E-B as opposed to a sit-down meal with somebody.

I hope it was taken with as much kindness as intended.

Godspeed ma'am.
Old Buffalo
AG
culdeus
AG
Ragoo said:

So then when it was clear they were not working why didn't leaders step up and admit the same?

When masks didn't work people didn't spend money anywhere and wti went to 0. I prefer govt lying about masks to get people to go places. Maybe I'm crazy. Masks were a huge part of getting kids in schools, so they work. To get people out of their houses.
Marissa99
The flu has been endemic for YEARS. We know much more about flu than Covid. You can't compare the 2 viruses.

It looks like Covid will become endemic at this point. Hopefully there will be no long term side effects even for mild cases....
94chem
Cassius said:

cecil77 said:

Are Face Masks Effective. The Evidence

There were dozens published before covid that showed the same, some by the CDC.

From ref. 4, the CDC paper:

"Efforts to reduce possible exposures where mask use
and social distancing are difficult to maintain, such as when
eating and drinking, should be considered to protect custom-
ers, employees, and communities."

Do you even read, because the CDC reference doesn't agree with your premise?

How much more sputum do I need to sort through to find the actual truth?
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
I Am A Critic
Today is a great day for spiking the football but some of y'all need to take a knee.
Ags4DaWin
HotardAg07 said:

I understand that the core of this issue has nothing to do with the science of whether masks actually work, it's about individual liberties and trade offs more than anything. But let's not let our motivation of the latter affect our critical thinking of the former. If you have ever taken a Healthcare related PPE course you know that masks are not designed to protect from aerosols. they are designed to protect operators and auxiliary personnel from spatter. Spatter is created during an operation when saline, and other surgical fluids mix with bodily fluids and become potentially contaminated with bloodborne pathogens (for a Healthcare worker anything that becomes contaminated with bodily fluids is considered contaminated with bloodborne pathogens). This liquid mix is then splashed during the course of normal operation and can land on the operator, in their face, and their mouth. Spatter is hundreds of orders of magnitude larger than aerosols. In fact for PPE purposes aerosols are the technical name for droplets of a certain size and spatter the technical name for drops of a larger size. The difference being that aerosols stay in the air while spatter goes up and comes down very quickly. For this reason, and several others surgical masks cannot protect from aerosols because surgical masks do not provide a seal. The suction created by inhalation is enough to pull contaminated aerosols out of the air and through or around the mask. Medical masks are rated for how well they repel spatter and the size of spatter droplets they will repel. Medical masks are not rated for droplet filtration. In fact they do not filter aerosols AT ALL. They are not designed for nor were they ever intended for that purpose. N95 masks even when they form a proper seal around the mouth and nose do not filter to a small enough droplet size to prevent inhalation of contaminated aerosol particles. This is why the studies cited by Cassius show zero correlation between mask wear and infection prevention. So even though you keep saying over and over again "it is unquestionable masks work. History, the science, and the design of masks all contradict you.

By the way, my grandma who was hospitalized for a month with COVID got it from a 30 year old who came to visit her and my aunt for 3 hours indoors when my aunt was sick (not COVID). My aunt wore a mask the whole time, didn't get sick. My grandma and this 30 year old didn't wear masks, my grandma nearly died. So, I care less about whether you can wear a mask in Kroger, to be honest. I care that people like that 30 year old are smart and thoughtful enough to wear a mask around my 80 year old grandma when indoors for several hours. That's why this whole mask mandate thing is a strawman argument. If people did the right and courteous thing, no government intervention would be needed. I am sorry about your grandmother. But an anecdotal case does not prove that you are correct and does not negate the actual science. There are alot of factors that contribute to whether or not someone gets sick. First of all, your grandmother is considerably older than your aunt. There is a distinct drop off in susceptibility to COVID based on age. So it is distinctly likely that age played a factor. In order for someone to get sick from exposure to disease they must 1) be exposed to a large enough amount of the bacteria or virus that causes the disease 2) that dose must enter the body through the correct route 3) The particles must evade the innate immune system long enough to begin to replicate, overwhelm the innate immune system. So it is entirely possible that either your aunt had some innate genetic resistance to COVID- it seems to be that there is a significant portion of the population that has altered cell wall proteins which prevent the spike protein from attaching to the cell wall. Whether she was in an area which was better ventilated and did not receive a large enough dose for it to become infected. There is a good chance that because she was sick she stayed further away from everyone else so as not to get them sick, but I wasn't there. Regardless I could rattle off a dozen actual, clinical reasons why your grandmother got sick and ur aunt didn't. But based on experience speaking with people who have been horribly misinformed and some of them even Healthcare workers you probably would come back to the mask as the underlying cause.

HotardAg07
AG
I could post for you 100 studies from scientists who directly measured the question of whether masks functionally work and you wouldn't read any of them or care about any of the findings. You've made your mind up on the answer already. I know the limitations of masks. I also know that 50% or 20% effective doesn't mean 0% effective. I think you know that the primary transmission has been shown to be larger respiratory droplets, but you focused your answer on aerosols.

I honestly don't know why I posted today on this thread, just venting i suppose. Everybody is dug in and there's no debate to be had here, just yelling at each other. I'll sign off from this thread (and texags in general) with this illustration of my point (mask mandates don't matter, mask wearing does)

GAC06
AG
" Mask wearing layered with social distancing yielded highest probability of transmission control."

Earth shattering findings there. If you stay away from strangers the masks are irrelevant
tysker
AG
cecil and Keegan spotted on the same thread
Harry Stone
AG
3rd Generation Ag said:

I already have to place myself at risk by teaching every day. I am lucky that at 72 I was able to get the vaccine first dose in January, secon in February. But schools even with the supposed extra cleaning are dirty places. And even with the mask mandate, cover your nose has been the most frequent teacher comment all year. I live in an over 55 apartment community and we have had several deaths from covid among my friends. First I don't want to be the Angel of Death and bring anything back here and second I was never lucky when it came to things that were 95 percent. I have zero luck and never have had any. So I take precautions. Other than school, and seeing my kids right after Thanksgiving and Christmas, I have stayed in. Ordered from Amazon or Curbside at Kroger/Walmart. I want to still be here when we get to the other side of this, and I think in a couple of months more, things will be safer as more get the shots. In my department of 30 teachers, only four of us have been able to get the shot so far. Me due to age, and three due to very high risk health issues. Even with many kdis opting for virtual, we have new student cases regularly, almost daily. And that is with masks and social distancing desks.

I never ate out in the first place. I would have already shopped, but the Ice storm hit the weekend that was two weeks, and last weekend I thought shelves would be too empty still to be worth any risk. Will try to get to the grocery this weekend before a total lifting officially hits, then sit things out probably until summer.

not to sound harsh here but youre 72 and have lived your life. you already take necessary precautions but youre also being selfish by not letting your kids live a normal life. if you want to see your kids, im sure theyll take every precaution to protect you. but in the times you dont see them, dont you want them to have a normal life? this virus is never going away...ever again. you need to realize that so you know either these restrictions will be the rest of your life or you can just accept fate and let everyone just live their life because right now nobody is.
t - cam
AG
Harry Stone said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

not to sound harsh here but youre 72 and have lived your life. you already take necessary precautions but youre also being selfish by not letting your kids live a normal life. if you want to see your kids, im sure theyll take every precaution to protect you. but in the times you dont see them, dont you want them to have a normal life? this virus is never going away...ever again. you need to realize that so you know either these restrictions will be the rest of your life or you can just accept fate and let everyone just live their life because right now nobody is.

I'm not sure I fully understand what's been so different with everyone's life in Texas. I wear a mask everywhere. I try to stay away from people as best I can. I go to friends houses, eat at restaurants that spread out their tables, send my kids to school and work from home. The only real change I got out of COVID was a mask and a bunch of extra money in my pocket while not commuting and eating at home for lunch most days.

I get it if you own a business or are in a line of work where you were directly impacted but I'm guessing the vast majority of Texans with decent jobs didn't get nearly as pinched as they want to lead on.

culdeus
AG
t - cam said:

Harry Stone said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

I'm not sure I fully understand what's been so different with everyone's life in Texas. I wear a mask everywhere. I try to stay away from people as best I can. I go to friends houses, eat at restaurants that spread out their tables, send my kids to school and work from home. The only real change I got out of COVID was a mask and a bunch of extra money in my pocket while not commuting and eating at home for lunch most days.

I get it if you own a business or are in a line of work where you were directly impacted but I'm guessing the vast majority of Texans with decent jobs didn't get nearly as pinched as they want to lead on.

This. I had to wear a mask on the way to a table once. The horror. 99% of my life was the same. I'm sorry others had it worse or far worse but the way people talk I was chained to my bed for a year.

The worst part was not getting to go to Europe last summer and I suppose maybe this one as well.
FratboyLegend
HotardAg07 said:

I don't think they should be needed, but I am sympathetic to leaders who prescribed them after it was clear it was not going to be adopted otherwise.

I think of the doctor here who required masks to be worn in his waiting room. One of his patients refused to wear it, another patient fought him over it. The doctor was upset with both patients, but was especially frustrated with the patient who refused to wear a mask because his waiting room could potentially include a lot of ill people who could have a severe course of covid if they caught it.

The owner of my favorite restaurant said that while he was repulsed by any limitation on his capacity, he liked the mask mandate because at least he could blame the government rather than make the own policy to protect his employees.

I think a government mask mandate gives doctors and restaurant owners like that cover for requiring masks. Now many business owners are going to have to make a decision whether they will lose business from the people who refuse to wear a mask in their business versus losing business from people who are scared to go places where masks aren't required.

At the end of the day, i wish neither businesses nor the government would need to require anything. I wish people would just do it when it made sense (close, sustained contact indoors with poor ventilation).
Exactly! Now we have a 'marketplace of ideas' on masking.

Let the competition begin!
#CertifiedSIP
Rubble
AG
culdeus said:

t - cam said:

Harry Stone said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

This. I had to wear a mask on the way to a table once. The horror. 99% of my life was the same. I'm sorry others had it worse or far worse but the way people talk I was chained to my bed for a year.

The worst part was not getting to go to Europe last summer and I suppose maybe this one as well.

This is the stupid part. You have to wear a mask until you sit down, but not after that. I argued with my mom about this very thing. She kept telling me that's it's ok to not wear a mask when you're outside, but need to inside. I asked, well, what about when you're eating in a restaurant an no one is wearing a mask? It makes no ****ing sense. If your mask is off, your spitting out germs into the air that everyone else in the restaurant is breathing. Why wear one from the hostess stand to the table?
c-jags
I Am A Critic said:

Today is a great day for spiking the football but some of y'all need to take a knee.

Agreed. I'm anti mask and anti lockdown as they come but some people are legitimately worried about their health. Petty to belittle that concern.

No need to gloat on this or spike the ball on others. I won't wear a mask where I don't have to and I'll continue to wear it where I'm asked. It's annoying and it's an inconvenience, but it's not the end of the world.
BowSowy
AG
Harry Stone said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

I've reread her post a couple of times now and don't see where she said anything about impacting her kids' life other than only seeing them a handful of times. Did I miss something?
t - cam
AG
Rubble said:

culdeus said:

t - cam said:

Harry Stone said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

This is the stupid part. You have to wear a mask until you sit down, but not after that. I argued with my mom about this very thing. She kept telling me that's it's ok to not wear a mask when you're outside, but need to inside. I asked, well, what about when you're eating in a restaurant an no one is wearing a mask? It makes no ****ing sense. If your mask is off, your spitting out germs into the air that everyone else in the restaurant is breathing. Why wear one from the hostess stand to the table?

Agreed, but is the only reason you care because you don't like being told what to do?
They were trying to get you back out there.

Harry Stone
AG
t - cam said:

Harry Stone said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

since coronavirus us permanently embedded in our society, are you okay living this way forever?
Teslag
AG
c-jags said:

I Am A Critic said:

Agreed. I'm anti mask and anti lockdown as they come but some people are legitimately worried about their health. Petty to belittle that concern.

No need to gloat on this or spike the ball on others. I won't wear a mask where I don't have to and I'll continue to wear it where I'm asked. It's annoying and it's an inconvenience, but it's not the end of the world.

As said earlier, these people through their fear and ridiculous mandates have put good people out of work and destroyed livelihoods. For nothing. It accomplished nothing and saved no lives. All because of baseless fear.

So ya, maybe they need to feel it a little bit.
GAC06
AG
Apparently it didn't affect people with decent jobs
t - cam
AG
Harry Stone said:

t - cam said:

Harry Stone said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

since coronavirus us permanently embedded in our society, are you okay living this way forever?

No, and I don't think it will be. This will be done in a few months with vaccine availability. I understand people believe this set some terrible precedent and maybe it did but there was plenty of reason to be scared of it.

Harry Stone
AG
t - cam said:

Harry Stone said:

t - cam said:

Harry Stone said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

No, and I don't think it will be. This will be done in a few months with vaccine availability. I understand people believe this set some terrible precedent and maybe it did but there was plenty of reason to be scared of it.

this is the new flu. covid-19 may go away, but variants of it will always be around.
94chem
Does texags have a random post nuker? Kind of like Uno Attack? I swear the darndest things have disappeared over the years
94chem,
That, sir, was the greatest post in the history of TexAgs. I salute you. -- Dough
t - cam
AG
Harry Stone said:

t - cam said:

Harry Stone said:

t - cam said:

Harry Stone said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

this is the new flu. covid-19 may go away, but variants of it will always be around.

I've been able to get a flu vaccine for as long as I can remember.

Rubble
AG
Variants have always been around. Have you ever had a cold? That's a coronavirus...

Yeah it's mutating, but to much less of its original form...
Harry Stone
AG
t - cam said:

Harry Stone said:

t - cam said:

Harry Stone said:

t - cam said:

Harry Stone said:

3rd Generation Ag said:

I've been able to get a flu vaccine for as long as I can remember.

theyve been around since the 40s. the govt isnt going to bail out vaccine companies forever.
Marissa99
Please stop making this about living in fear. It has nothing to do with that.

It's about following TEMPORARY basic public health guidance to keep you and others safe.

Abbott's decision today is premature. We're so close to rounding the corner on the pandemic.

Pandemics do end. Look at history.
Marissa99
Yes you're right. There are a bunch of coronaviruses. But this one is new and while it's been around for more than a year already, there is still much that we don't know about it.

I truly hope that it remains innocuous like other coronaviruses...
beerad12man
AG
It's premature in your opinion

Not in mine or many others.

Our numbers won't be any different than states that don't end mandates as early as us. Same as Florida compared to California
Marissa99
Yeah they deleted like several replies from this thread tonight including 3 of mine. Maybe they'll let me know on this thread or I may just need to email the mods to get a better understanding of why they deleted my replies.
Marissa99
We can agree to disagree.

But let's not forget what happened last May when Tx re-opened too early. We had a summer surge that was awful.

Perhaps we have learned how to "master" Covid safety precautions like Abbott said today in his presser. Hope he's right because I'd hate to see another surge.
beerad12man
AG
That spike was inevitable eventually. And lowered. Then another spike

Same as California who also had a big spike, even when they weren't opened.

Our deaths per capita are middle of the pack. Dead center, actually. Less than many states who opened up far less than we did. Almost as if the virus was going to virus eventually. Short of staying in full lock down for a year, these were going to be our numbers

Keegan99
AG
If the summer surge was due to "reopening", then why did California have this result?

Shouldn't not "reopening" and using every NPI policy available have California producing far better outcomes?

BowSowy
AG
Marissa99 said:

Please stop making this about living in fear. It has nothing to do with that.

It's about following TEMPORARY basic public health guidance to keep you and others safe.

Abbott's decision today is premature. We're so close to rounding the corner on the pandemic.

Pandemics do end. Look at history.
Excuse me if I'm tired about hearing how SO CLOSE we are to flattening the curve, keeping hospitals from being overrun, or getting people vaccinated. If we wait just a few more months until we get more vaccinations, some other excuse will come up. Enough is enough.

Also, you can take your "temporary" guidance and shove it. There's been nothing temporary about this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.