Summer Camps - Post any news here.

39,042 Views | 287 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mccjames
Dustoff00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
They are ammending the age limit, but we have Venture Crew that he and I may be able to go with next year...
Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces
rojo_ag
AG
Dustoff00 said:

They are ammending the age limit, but we have Venture Crew that he and I may be able to go with next year...
Okay! Great to know. Of all of my childhood experiences, Philmont tops the list. I was 13 in 1986; we hiked 128 miles in 10 days. I still remember the names of the campsites. My son is 10 months old, so I will be on my way to 60 when he is eligible. I'll need to stay in shape because that would be the ultimate father-son experience.
culdeus
AG
Anyone had any kids go yet?
RVAg02
AG
T bar m starts tomorrow. I think several do. Should hear soon
Complete Idiot
The week of summer camp we signed one of our kids up for next week got cancelled yesterday due to not having enough enrollees. Sucks. The camps for the other two kids are in though.

We haven't sent them yet but camps have been underway a couple weeks now and I haven't heard any concerns. Other than low enrollment cancelling at least one.
AgTech88
AG
Heard - from a source I am not 100% confident in - Pine Cove & Sky Ranch have had some cases reported at camp? Anyone have confirmation of this?
AgTech88
CowtownAg06
AG
I know Pine Cove did have some cases at one of it's 11 camps. They closed that location to quarantine staff and are reopening after 2 weeks.
DripAG08
AG
Was this their Bastrop location?
Prexys Moon
AG
talked to some of my friends in leadership at T Bar M and they said things are going great at both locations (NB and Lake Travis). Our daughter is going in two weeks.
CowtownAg06
AG
Columbus. 3 other locations in Columbus have no issues so far. Tyler is all good too. Pine Cove doesn't have anything in Bastrop.
aggielawyer00
AG
So hopeful that things continue this way! Our kids go 4 weeks from Sunday!
Big Al 1992
AG
Got email from Pine Cove. Ridge camp in Columbus is closed until week 6. Currently 14.6 % of campers and staff from previous 2 weeks are positive but all only have mild symptoms
CowtownAg06
AG
This is the situation I referenced above. The shut down is per policy to retest and quarantine. State and camp leadership feel good about where things are. Reality is every where carries risk. I do know they are and have been offering 100% refunds up until day of camp if anyone is not comfortable.
culdeus
AG
Big Al 1992 said:

Got email from Pine Cove. Ridge camp in Columbus is closed until week 6. Currently 14.6 % of campers and staff from previous 2 weeks are positive but all only have mild symptoms

Their Facebook and Instagram is quiet on the matter. Seems a little odd.
DripAG08
AG
We're set to go July 5th. I'm sure my wife will have reservations on sending them now.
CowtownAg06
AG
It's not no risk because you are counting on 200 families (really just the 8 in your kids cabin) being careful ahead of time and telling the truth on your screening. That said if you're worried give them a call and they'll talk through all their procedures. I think they've got a sound program.
Complete Idiot
First we had the camp for the first week for one of our kids canceled due to low enrollment - that wasn't bad, we found another camp. Now for our other two kids who go to an outdoor YMCA camp, they just this past Saturday canceled this whole week for all age groups due to one counselor with a positive test. Not going well but I guess we should have seen this coming.
murphyag
AG
Complete Idiot said:

First we had the camp for the first week for one of our kids canceled due to low enrollment - that wasn't bad, we found another camp. Now for our other two kids who go to an outdoor YMCA camp, they just this past Saturday canceled this whole week for all age groups due to one counselor with a positive test. Not going well but I guess we should have seen this coming.

Afraid this is how much of the summer will play out.
BourbonAg
AG
We will see. I dropped my oldest daughter off at Camp Champions yesterday. They said their 1st session went fine with no positives.
aggielawyer00
AG
Any news on how TBarM's first week went?
RVAg02
AG
aggielawyer00 said:

Any news on how TBarM's first week went?
also interested in this. My kid and a couple buddies are scheduled to go to TBarM in July.
CowtownAg06
AG
Friend's kid camp back from TBarM Saturday. He had a great time, and no communication on issues so I assume it went well. It was his first time and loved it.
RVAg02
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

Friend's kid camp back from TBarM Saturday. He had a great time, and no communication on issues so I assume it went well. It was his first time and loved it.
Thanks!

Originally, I was glad we weren't scheduled until July. With the latest developments, I may wish we had already gone.
aggielawyer00
AG
My kids go in July as well and I'm thinking the same!
culdeus
AG
Same, I wish they had gone first term. Seems very little impact to the ones that went already.

When the early camps went there was minimal caseload in the mix for families. Now, not so much.
CowtownAg06
AG
We'll see. I'd expect with camps going pretty well that if we do clamp back down, they maybe alllowed open. I'd see bars/gyms/restaurant capacity tried first.
TXTransplant
ag97tx said:

My daughter is scheduled for Space Camp in August. I am hoping that the first week of camp the last week of June runs smoothly.

Has your son been before? My daughter is going into 8th grade this year and also went last year.

My son's session is still a "go", starting on Sunday. I pulled up the website today, and it says the kids have to wear masks. It suggests having a "unique" mask to help with facial recognition in the photos.
oldag941
AG
My kids went to Sky Ranch last week. Other than curtailing the week by a day (to clean between cycles), camp seemed to be a hit.
amymc72
AG
I dropped my three boys off at LaJunta on Sunday - so far camp appears to be business as usual in the photos. My daughter goes to Mystic on 7/1 and they have said the girls will have to wear masks when they enter the dining hall, but that may be the only time? No kids wearing masks at LaJunta.
mccjames
AG
Daughter quarantined for 7 days with charted temp checks, arrived at Honey Creek Camp for girls Tuesday and will be quarantined there for another 7 days with charted temp checks. The kids will arrive next Tuesday with parents not allowed out of vehicles. She said she is required to wear masks anytime they are within 6 feet of kids.

Glad to hear La Junta is still going strong, I have fond memories of horseback riding with Luther and I knew David when he was a camper!
Easy come, Easy go
c-jags
Big Al 1992 said:

My wife went and picked up a friend on the way to port A that was picking up their daughter from PC Columbus. She briefly hugged their daughter and then my wife and her mom went on their way to PA.

After they got home PC told them that her counselor tested positive. Then the daughter tested positive.

We've been on lockdown since we got the news that she tested positive Sunday night. Wife got tested Tuesday and we'll hopefully know tomorrow. Saturday will be 2 weeks since she came in contact with her.
nonameag99
I'm picking my two daughters up tomorrow from PC Columbus, they are in the middle camp, younger than ridge. We fully expect that they may have it and are planning to quarantine them upon return home
mm98
AG
Picking up my daughter tomorrow. Got an email saying a kid at the same camp site, but different bunk, tested positive and was sent home. Email said it was caught quickly but who really knows. I hope they weren't hanging out together and fingers slcrossed for the best

This was Camp Allen in Navasota
Ozzy Osbourne
I'm sending my daughter to camp in a week. Is it possible for camps to stay open with the 100 person rule put in place by the governor?
mm98
AG
Ozzy Osbourne said:

I'm sending my daughter to camp in a week. Is it possible for camps to stay open with the 100 person rule put in place by the governor?

In my particular experience, when I picked up my daughter yesterday the counselors mentioned they had rules keeping each campsite apart from each other. Meaning in my daughters age group I believe there were four girl cabins and three boy cabins with about seven or eight kids in each. But the cabin groups pretty much stay to themselves. Plus they're really not public gatherings...these are paid private event.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.