Summer Camps - Post any news here.

38,645 Views | 287 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mccjames
MiMi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
The executive order states that outdoor gatherings of 100 or more people have to be approved by local governments, so there are/will be plenty of exceptions. My daughter graduated high school last night. Outdoors on a football field, with hundreds graduating and hundreds more in the bleachers.
CowtownAg06
AG
Camps have their own set of regulations they gave to operate under from the state.
aggielawyer00
AG
The executive order had a specific exception for summer camps.
RVAg02
AG
Prexys Moon said:

talked to some of my friends in leadership at T Bar M and they said things are going great at both locations (NB and Lake Travis). Our daughter is going in two weeks.
What are you hearing about T Bar M? PM me if you'd rather.
Prexys Moon
AG
just sent pm
RethinkTheWeekend
AG
T Bar M update on their website is that they have closed until July 5 because "3 staff members tested positive for COVID- 19" the good news is "no campers have reported symptoms or a notice of COVID-19 test results."
aggielawyer00
AG
Can I get that PM as well? We go in 2 weeks
RVAg02
AG
We do too. But now we are thinking about not going given the latest issues.
Reel Aggies
AG
Lol my in-laws let my two nieces go to camp with their church. Several counselors turned up positive. My in laws picked up my two nieces and now they and several of their church friends all have fever and chills. Way to go spread covid to every nook and cranny in Texas. All pics the nieces Instagramed showed zero masks and zero regard for SD
RVAg02
AG
We cancelled T Bar M. Didn't want to send him and have him bring it back to the extended family.
mm98
AG
Crap. Just got an email saying one of my daughters cabin mate tested positive after getting home.

Tests scheduled for tomorrow
aggielawyer00
AG
Which camp?
mm98
AG
aggielawyer00 said:

Which camp?

Camp Allen in Navasota.
RVAg02
AG
mm98 said:

aggielawyer00 said:

Which camp?

Camp Allen in Navasota.

Looks like they closed for the next two weeks as well.
mm98
AG
RVAg02 said:

mm98 said:

aggielawyer00 said:

Which camp?

Camp Allen in Navasota.

Looks like they closed for the next two weeks as well.

Not surprised. This was the first camp session and the email update said there were two total cases. Prob freaked everyone out to close down.
culdeus
AG
With very limited information it seems these one week camps are having a hard time keeping things under control. The longer ones seem ok.
murphyag
AG
culdeus said:

With very limited information it seems these one week camps are having a hard time keeping things under control. The longer ones seem ok.

Agreed. Probably because of the quick turnover of campers with the one week camps. Former neighbor of mine posted on their Facebook page that their child tested positive after returning from camp. Was one of the big name one week camps.
CowtownAg06
AG
Pine Cove has started to post daily updates on their site. Yesterday they stated 90% of their sessions have had no cases (this is across 11 camps). Most camps swap out a good portion of staff right around now, so hopefully that allows some reset.
culdeus
AG
And as far as I know there hasn't been a single hospitalization from a camper, staff, or parent resulting from a camp exposure / positive yet.

I feel like the media would be all over it if that happened, and I recognize this board is over represented with Texas camps etc. etc.
TXTransplant
Looks like this mess is going to impact activities next summer, too.

My son's Boy Scout troop is planning for Sea Base next summer. We were just about to commit to an adventure and date when everything shut down, so that got pushed back.

Now, they are asking for 2021 commitments, but availability is SEVERELY limited. Almost all the dates our troop was given as options are in August, and all but one or two will conflict with the start of school.

Basically, our troop is competing for dates with the troops that had their 2020 trips cancelled.

Additionally, our boys wanted to do a SCUBA adventure (some of the older boys have done the sailing adventure). Those dates were limited to two weeks in March (NOT during our spring break), one week in May (before school gets out), and 4 weeks in August (ALL of which will overlap with the start of school).

My son is taking it very well, and he may have the option to join another troop (which he really doesn't want to do), but my heart breaks for them. #firstworldproblems, I know, but this feels like it's never-ending!
Dustoff00
AG
Know the feeling. Son had both of his Philmont Treks cancelled, Fires and COVID, preventing him from the Triple Crown. However, he is happy as a clam, as he got accepted A couple of weeks ago and starts FOW on Aug 11th.
Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces
culdeus
AG
K2 kanakuk shutting down first term early for several cases. The rest of the camps will keep going.

K2 is the older kids.
amymc72
AG
Dropped my girl off at Mystic today, so far, so good. Much larger population than LaJunta so we are expecting some speed bumps. My three boys have been at LaJunta since 6/21 and we have had two covid scares - first was a set of twins whose nanny tested positive and boys were exposed eight days prior and second was a parent who tested positive when boys were day ten at camp. Whole families of those involved - including campers, of course - had rapid tests and all tested negative. It has given me pause to post about this because I do not want to disparage our beloved camps. At the same time, it is by no means a secret - all parents of campers were informed. My (sip) husband and I feel comfortable with our four children being at camp, even considering the circumstances, and believe LaJunta has responded completely appropriately. And we will not be shocked if we have similar issues at Mystic. We are staying in a house across the road from the Mystic gate - we have rented it for years for camp pick up, but due to all the changes this year we are here for our daughter's drop off. Listening to all those girls sing and chant from across the way warms my heart for my children who cherish camp. I am so grateful that they are able to attend this year.
barney94
AG
To clarify on culdeus' post -

This is actually Term 3 of Kanakuk K2 for their 2 week camps. They made it through Term 1 and 2 unscathed (as far as anybody knows, anyway...no cases encountered).

I'll be making the drive tomorrow to get my kiddo from there as well. Bummer.

culdeus
AG
barney94 said:

To clarify on culdeus' post -

This is actually Term 3 of Kanakuk K2 for their 2 week camps. They made it through Term 1 and 2 unscathed (as far as anybody knows, anyway...no cases encountered).

I'll be making the drive tomorrow to get my kiddo from there as well. Bummer.

Bummer, there is a 4 week term that was impacted that folds what is term 2 and 3 together. So when I think of Term 1 I'm thinking about the 4 week term.
DuncanAg
AG
Honest question for those who hear about cases at camp and are picking your kid up...are you being asked to pick them up or are you choosing to?
barney94
AG
In me and culdeus' case, they are closing the camp, so no choice.
hook60
I know this will offend many, but sending your child off to camp seems like a very poor choice. It's the anti social distancing.
DuncanAg
AG
Huge bummer...we know they have had some cases where we are sending our son in mid-July but honestly I'm ok with how they are handling it (isolating and sending home symptomatic counselors/campers).
culdeus
AG
hook60 said:

I know this will offend many, but sending your child off to camp seems like a very poor choice. It's the anti social distancing.

None taken.

In theory the families are supposed to shutdown two weeks prior to camp. In that way you basically get to quarantine in a safe place. I would imagine as the case count picked up some families quarantine wasn't strong enough.

My worry is if this is what happens when you ask families to shut things down for two weeks, what will school look like?
jpistolero02
My son is scheduled to leave for Camp Ozark next weekend. I guess you can call me careless, but I am not concerned about him going. I have seen no data suggesting I should be worried about my children. Please don't take this the wrong way because this is a serious deal. For whatever reason kids don't seem to be spreaders or impacted by it. My wife also tested positive in March and it was basically impossible for her to quarantine from the kids. Luckily, they never exhibited any symptoms.

I have also responded to our school district in favor of sending our kids back. I am not sure how I can be ok with sending my kids to school and worried about camp where the environment is probably more controlled.
Dddfff
AG
I'm offended by you're lack of knowledge on the matter, that's all.
culdeus
AG
I am a little surprised that the news hasn't picked up a few of these stories.

They are for sure zoomed in on the risks teachers are taking with the start of school, however.
CowtownAg06
AG
I think reason is that there has yet to be a camper or staff hospitalized out of any of these. I also think that all of these camps are being very responsible with reporting and even shutting down earlier than they "need" too.

To the poster who thinks it's a bad idea... camps are actually doing a ton of social distancing relative to normal. It's not risk free, but I think they mitigate as best they can.
amercer
AG
I don't blame anyone for sending their kids to camp. I would have sent my daughter if the one up here didn't close. But you better be prepared for the **** storm if there is a big outbreak. Families that can afford 4 week fancy camps in the hill country make a really easy target for ridicule and scorn.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.