Summer Camps - Post any news here.

38,570 Views | 287 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mccjames
Aust Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
tbone94 said:

Pine Cove cancelled overnight camps for week 1 (May 24th-30th)
Wonder about the rest of the summer.

This might be the craziest one....basically a camp ran by people in their 20's, helping young kids. Where's the danger?
CowtownAg06
AG
Aust Ag said:

tbone94 said:

This might be the craziest one....basically a camp ran by people in their 20's, helping young kids. Where's the danger?
Not accurate at all. Just because you don't see age when you're there doesn't mean it's "run by 20 year olds."
3rd Generation Ag
AG
ymca and such can open. I don't know restrictions yet. Most things can open in some form.
Keegan99
AG

From Abbott's presser.
culdeus
AG
CCred92 said:

Daughter was supposed to work at laity lodge youth camp. Got an email that they canceled all camps this summer.

She was crushed.
There are tons of camps hiring. What type of camp is that, I am sure we can get her placed. Today.
Prexys Moon
AG
don't know why LLYC cancelled. All the other similar camps in Texas...Pine Cove, T Bar M, etc, cancelled a session or two in June and otherwise are good to go.
CCred92
AG
I am not sure why LLYC shut it down. They are a standard Christian based summer camp for boys and girls. She will be a senior in high school next year. I think she was basically going to be on kitchen duty for a month but she was really looking forward to it. She has been going to the camp since she was 8.
Aust Ag
AG
CowtownAg06 said:

Aust Ag said:

tbone94 said:

Not accurate at all. Just because you don't see age when you're there doesn't mean it's "run by 20 year olds."
Your right, there's a very good amount of middle age folks at the camp.
TXTransplant
In the Houston area, this is the list of YMCA facilities that will be offering DAY CAMP.

Edit: openings are effective June 1.

CENTERS AVAILABLE FOR OUTDOOR GROUP EXERCISE, LAP SWIMMING AND CAMP/CHILD CARE
Fort Bend Family YMCA
Harriet and Joe Foster Family YMCA
Lake Houston Family YMCA
Langham Creek Family YMCA (outdoor programs for members until July 20 due to construction)
Mark A. Chapman YMCA at Katy Main Street
D. Bradley McWilliams YMCA
The Woodlands Family YMCA at Shadowbend
Tellepsen Family Downtown YMCA
Trotter Family YMCA
WD Ley Family YMCA
Weekley Family YMCA

CENTERS OPEN FOR CAMP/CHILD CARE ONLY (through September 1)
Alief Family YMCA
Conroe Family YMCA
EA Smith Family YMCA
MD Anderson Family YMCA
Houston Texans YMCA
Thelma Ley Anderson Family YMCA
TW Davis Family YMCA
West Orem Family YMCA
NICU Dad
AG
AggieFrog said:

Our Boy Scout summer camp was canceled (Sid Richardson Scout Ranch by Bridgeport). All overnight camps in the Longhorn Council also cancelled.

That's for the better. Was at Sid last year, and it was HORRIBLE
Gone Camping
AG
BSA Alamo Area Council is just starting later - for now. Only doing sessions 4 and 5 and WO Week I believe. My family works Bear Creek and can't wait to get down there.
Our troop was supposed to go to Camp Alexander Colorado but they were in session 2 and that was canceled.
BourbonAg
AG
Camp Champions sent out an email yesterday that they would be open. So far the only timeline change is that the 1st session is starting a week late and being shortened to 2 weeks from 3. They said they will send out their health and safety protocols in the next 48 hours.
AggieFrog
AG
Good to know. This is our 3rd year with the troop. We've done camps in Colorado (Dobbins) and Oklahoma (Hale) but they wanted to rotate a local camp every 4th year. I've been to SR2 many times (including Wood Badge two summers ago during the heat wave) but never for camp.
Scotts Tot
AG
We did Sid one summer when I was a kid in the late 90s. It was absolutely awful, to the point of being unsafe. Access to water was poor (half the water fountains were inoperable around the camp), barely edible food, poorly functioning AC in the buildings, all while enduring a Texas summer in canvas tents. There were several kids from my troop who suffered heat related illness that week. The dads in my troop threatened to report the camp, and I'm sure they weren't the only ones. I've always wondered if that place ever improved.
tbone94
AG
Pine Cove overnight is on. Email sent to all campers. Lots of info on procedural changes and precautions that will be in place.
3rd Generation Ag
AG
Sounds like you were at infamous Camp Granada

Hello mudder, hello fadder, here I am at Camp Granada
Camp is very entertaining and they say that we'll have fun if it stops raining.

I went hiking with Joe Spivey
He developed poison ivy
You remember Leonard Skinner
He got Ptomaine poisoning last night after dinner

And the lament went on and on.
kellyb94
AG
And the lake has, alligators
oldag941
AG
Sky Ranch in Van, TX is a go. Cancelled first week and looking to rebook those kids later in the summer. They are requesting that your kid social distance from everyone but family for 14 days before camp.
Aggie
AG
The UIL is rolling out a plan soon to allow High school strength and condition programs and band activities to resume June 8
TXTransplant
Aggie said:

The UIL is rolling out a plan soon to allow High school strength and condition programs and band activities to resume June 8

If true, this bodes well for school opening in the fall. Why have summer band camp if the kids won't be back in the classroom? I've got a band kid, and the lack of any sort of schedule right now is killing me.
aggiebrad94
AG
Hermann Son's in Comfort, TX is cancelled.
johnnyblaze36
AG
A buddy of mine said he's taking his kid's to Camp Allen and was told only one parent is allowed to drive them there and that they aren't allowed to get out of the car. Our society keeps getting dumber by the hour.
TexasAggie73
AG
Philmont Scout Ranch is opening in July and the BSA Swamp Base outside of Lafayette, La is opening.
TexasAggie73
AG
johnnyblaze36 said:

A buddy of mine said he's taking his kid's to Camp Allen and was told only one parent is allowed to drive them there and that they aren't allowed to get out of the car. Our society keeps getting dumber by the hour.
I believe that is Texas requirement about getting out of the car and no parent visiting.
kellyb94
AG
Just got the email from Ozark. All sessions are officially on as normal.
CowtownAg06
AG
It's not. I don't know what's state mandate vs camp policy, but at Pine Cove you can get out of the car but not go in the cabins or other buildings.
TXTransplant
Looks like Camp Strake is going to be open. Just got an email from our troop about RSVP'ing for a week in the second half of July.
TexasAggie73
AG
TXTransplant said:

Looks like Camp Strake is going to be open. Just got an email from our troop about RSVP'ing for a week in the second half of July.
Found this on SHAC website
  • Scouts BSA Summer Camp 2020 at Tsuru Scout Camp at Camp Strake is cancelled. Each troop signed up for 2020 Summer Camp will be contacted to determine if they would like to move their reservation to 2021 Summer Camp at Tsuru Scout Camp at Camp Strake.
  • Our camping team is currently developing an alternate plan for a condensed Scouts BSA camp program at Camp Strake in July that incorporates current governmental guidance and social distancing. While the full program information will be available later in May, this program will include the following components:
    • Strict social distancing protocols, including separate tents required for all non-sibling Scouts and a highly-structured program schedule over 2-3 days.
    • Food service provided by the unit within the campsite to avoid large gatherings of participants.
    • Utilization of the most high-demand program elements for summer camp and provide the corresponding merit badge programs.

• They could have changed things and not updated their web site.
TXTransplant
I was wondering if the email I got was auto-generated from our troop's system based on the original event calendar entry (pre-virus and shutdown). I almost didn't post because of that. Looks like that's what it was.
94chem
Just got the last week in July at Pine Cove.
TexasAggie73
AG
TXTransplant said:

I was wondering if the email I got was auto-generated from our troop's system based on the original event calendar entry (pre-virus and shutdown). I almost didn't post because of that. Looks like that's what it was.
Just talked to a friend that is active in district and council activities and he said that they are looking at a couple of 3 day weekends for those that had signed up for summer camp.
NICU Dad
AG
Crosspost from my AO post some time back on another scout leader looking for feedback on Sid.

2 years ago the camp was great. The merit badge counselors were knowledgeable and energetic. The camp director was fantastic, and she ran a very tight ship.

The rumor we heard was Longhorn Council ran her off about a month or so before session 1.

The camp director they put in was not nearly prepared for the job at hand. His program director Robert would have been a much better choice for the head job.

When we arrived at camp, we had to wait over an hour to turn in paperwork, medical forms, and complete the official check-in. It was a slow and tedious process that too way more time than it should have.

The merit badge counselors last year were in a word largely bad. The water sports were good, the blacksmith is first rate, but just about all other classes were horrible.

The environmental science counselor would talk for about 15 minutes, and then tell the scouts to play cards. He didn't even show up for the last day of the class. The rumor we had heard was he was fired for incompetence the year before but brought back last summer because they were so short staffed.

The scoutcraft merit badge counselor spent most of his time flirting with a female counselor and didn't do any teaching. When he did interact with scouts, he just yelled at them.

The emergency preparations counselor was also horrible. I ended up teaching his class because he was told by the camp director he was supposed to let the boys jack around instead of learning. In fact, the only times he "taught" he just read out of the book. The classes were in a word largely horrible.

Another beef for us was staff was allowed to enter the dining facility for meals before all of the scouts, were allowed to take extra portions of food, and consequently many troops did not receive the meal items the others campers and staff had because it was gone before the last troops were able to enter the facility.

The very first day of camp, one of 2 indoor men's room toilets was clogged up rendering it inoperable. The toilet remained out of order the entire week we were there. By Wednesday, the other indoor toilets in camp failed rendering all toilets in camp out of service. They finally called in a plumber to address but the original toilet was never fixed.

Mid-week, my committee chair and I sat down and talked with the camp director and program director to let them know our observations. The program director took notes, and we could tell he was visibly upset that camp was falling short. The camp director however was in screen saver mode, and I don't think he internalized anything we gave as feedback.

After camp, we sent in a letter detailing our experience to Longhorn Council staff. They were appalled with the things we submitted - we sent in photos too - and promised to reach out to us to help them improve. We never heard back from anybody at Longhorn Council.

All in all, it was a horrible experience, and we've shared that feedback with our local district to warn them off.

I hope they get things together because 2 years ago the camp was great.

I had a scout on Friday get overheated to the point that we decided to send him to the medical shack for some air conditioning and fluids.

I'm a retired firefighter and medic, so I checked on him after an hour. He told me the medic ignored him despite being her only patient. In fact, when he asked her for some fluids, she said "get them yourself!"

FREAKING UNREAL!

The day of checkout, we went to get our medical forms from her in the scoutmaster lounge, and she wasn't there. The medical forms were sitting out on a table unattended.

I took my troop binder and we started to leave. She then came in and said, next time ask for the forms instead of just taking them.

Our quote to here was "there won't be a next time!"

COVID related because if they hadn't cancelled, I have zero confidence they could have done anything remotely close to keeping scouts and staff safe.
NICU Dad
AG
TXTransplant said:

We got word that Strake was closed for the summer.

I wonder if the new direction from Austin is letting them run the late sessions?

The last correspondence we saw was they would have "mini" camps in July.
TexasAggie73
AG
NICU Dad said:

TXTransplant said:

We got word that Strake was closed for the summer.

I wonder if the new direction from Austin is letting them run the late sessions?

The last correspondence we saw was they would have "mini" camps in July.
Told looking at a couple of 3 day weekend sessions for those that signed up for camp.
TXTransplant
Our troop was scheduled for July 19-25. I'm surprised they haven't sent out an email to correct the RSVP that went out earlier, since it referenced our original dates.

I was hopeful it would still proceed. My son actually isn't scheduled to attend, but I hate to see it cancelled.

Sorry for the false alarm.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.