Summer Camps - Post any news here.

38,563 Views | 287 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by mccjames
culdeus
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hit the Washington Post

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/07/09/coronavirus-live-updates-us/&sa=D&source=hangouts&ust=1594388923090000&usg=AFQjCNHE5JyVhSDjTq3UYlAFsd2_vr6BWQ
barney94
AG
K2 is up to at least 83, my camper got positive test results back today.

There's a decision I'd like to get back. Looks like I have to fight through it now.
culdeus
AG
barney94 said:

K2 is up to at least 83, my camper got positive test results back today.

There's a decision I'd like to get back. Looks like I have to fight through it now.
You already feel sick?
barney94
AG
I have some symptoms. Started on day 5 after we brought her home, so the time frame is right. Got tested today.

It's a 12 hour drive home for us. She started her symptoms halfway home. So we were essentially carrying a germ bomb with us for 12 hours.
jpistolero02
How old is your child and what symptoms are they having?
chap
AG
Now it looks like Texas is requiring masks for all campers?

https://www.tbarm.org/wp-content/uploads/Announcement-to-Parents-for-Campers-to-Wear-Face-Masks.pdf
AggieFrog
AG
chap said:

Now it looks like Texas is requiring masks for all campers?

https://www.tbarm.org/wp-content/uploads/Announcement-to-Parents-for-Campers-to-Wear-Face-Masks.pdf

We have a Scouts campout this weekend (merit badge academy in lieu of weeklong summer camp). Masks at all times outside of the pool, eating (outside), and their tents (1 tent per scout). And of course it also has to be 103 on Saturday
barney94
AG
jp- she's 16. Had fever over 102, cough, headache. Seems to be through it now, no fever for over 2 days and back to her old self.
jpistolero02
That's wonderful. I am glad she is is doing better. I hope you and the rest of the family are well.
Keegan99
AG
How are you faring?
rebag00
AG
Taking daughter to Kanukuk K-West for two weeks tomorrow. We did the stay at home for two weeks stuff and also did the Covid swab test late last week. I'm not worried about my kid getting it. As some have said - This same thing is going to happen at schools. It'll be interesting they close schools off and on for months.
oldag941
AG
We were told Sky Ranch just cancelled this week's session (day of drop off) due to a few counselors having symptoms. They will get tested etc before Sky Ranch opens next week's session.
Comeby!
AG
They canceled this morning. Know if 3 separate families, loaded up and headed that way that we're turned around. Honestly not sure how they're able to manage this during these times.
AgCPA95
AG
Great Adventure Camp in Cat Springs cancelled the rest of their seasons yesterday afternoon. My oldest and his good friend were headed there tonight as counselors so they are bummed.
Big Bucks
AG
Cho-Yeh in Livingston canceled some of their sessions that began on Sunday on Saturday night. My son didn't get canceled but my daughter did. I understand why, but still a lot of fun dealing with the fallout.
Ag CPA
AG
oldag941 said:

We were told Sky Ranch just cancelled this week's session (day of drop off) due to a few counselors having symptoms. They will get tested etc before Sky Ranch opens next week's session.
We were told today that one of the counselors in our daughter's cabin last week tested positive.
culdeus
AG
barney94 said:

jp- she's 16. Had fever over 102, cough, headache. Seems to be through it now, no fever for over 2 days and back to her old self.
How are you doing?

FWIW dropped my kids at a camp in south texas yesterday.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
The camp our son was going to and our daughter was going to be working at cancelled today after a whole 2.5 days because they got two cases. Everyone that sent kids has to pick them up today. The camp is in Vanderpool so not close to anything. Our kids opted not to go because they pretty much had already gutted the whole thing.
barney94
AG
Sorry I've missed the replies, guys. I've felt bad, but feeling better now. Tested negative. I don't even understand how that is possible. My wife is ok as well. Daughter has cleared the virus, was sick for about 2.5 days, and has completed her quarantine.
Hincemm
AG
Pine cove shores (not sure about other camps there) shutting down today due to multiple positive tests of counselors. Wife is headed to get kiddo right now. Have not heard about future sessions
DeangeloVickers
AG
We are supposed to start TBarM next week...not very hopeful
Complete Idiot
They did this for our outdoor ymca camps this summer - just one counselor positive, shut whole camp down for a week. If we go to school, they CANT have this approach. It just won't work.
aggielawyer00
AG
We are too! I'm still holding out hope...but being realistic!
culdeus
AG
Complete Idiot said:

They did this for our outdoor ymca camps this summer - just one counselor positive, shut whole camp down for a week. If we go to school, they CANT have this approach. It just won't work.

I mean I agree, but the CDC says that anyone with contact with a known positive should quarantine for 14 days.

Short of them making some sort of exception for schools, how do you get around that?
Beckdiesel03
AG
Son was able to register for next weeks day camp at TbarM after his session was shut down. I really have my fingers crossed because he needs the interaction and activity. Ive already explained to him that he is going to have to wear a mask and that he has to be ready for me to tell him its cancelled.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I'm just not sure why they bothered opening if they were going to have a hair trigger on everything. Odds are there is going to be a positive test so the odds are you're not going to make it through a session.
Hincemm
AG
culdeus said:

Short of them making some sort of exception for schools, how do you get around that?
exactly my sentiment...these are kids no older than 20 in a primarily outdoor setting testing positive, and we're shutting it down. i'm very much in the "send them back to school" camp, but i'm having a hard time seeing how that will work based on many of these summer camps.
culdeus
AG
Ranger #007 said:

I'm just not sure why they bothered opening if they were going to have a hair trigger on everything. Odds are there is going to be a positive test so the odds are you're not going to make it through a session.

Most camps, including the one we used, and others are asking kids/families to hard shutdown for 2 weeks prior to coming.

In theory this should flush out the virus in all but the ones that ignore it and still get infected.

Schools have no such requirement, and won't. A good number of camps have sailed thru without issues using this approach. Some haven't, and closed up shop right away.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Ranger #007 said:

$$$$$$
Quincey P. Morris
AG
Maybe for some. The camp our kids were going to got bought out by Young Life. They were supposed to keep it the same through next year but have now decided to make it Young Life camp starting next year. If we had sent our son as a camper, I'd have been looking for most of that money back.
agz win
AG
Camp Ozark opened today for a one week session. Kids were tested and 14 day quarantined in advance.
jpistolero02
My son left for Ozark today. This is the second test we took for camp. My poor kid is traumatized by the nasal swab. When we went in this week he just about lost it the second go round.
DeangeloVickers
AG
Dropped my kids off at TBarM
Went well and already a lot of pics

I'm so excited for them to have a device free, Christ centered, fun, social environment for a week
Beckdiesel03
AG
Little Diesel just got dropped off at TbarM as well- he was beyond excited. I need to go look at the pics- I forgot about that!
c-jags
we just got back from Family Camp at Pine Cove Woods.

I'd give their efforts of social distancing, mask wearing etc. a B- or C+. They definitely tried their best and changed quite a few things to accommodate for less people being up in each others' faces. Temperature checks before every meal, more separation on seating for meals, and the staff had on masks indoors and wore gloves at every meal. They encouraged us to wear masks. After being the only one wearing mask during the first two worship sessions, I gave up on it. Only thing that didn't make a ton of sense was that the speaker sessions were in a somewhat smaller enclosed room. I personally don't care, but if i was a hardline social distancer, I would have called foul on that one

The overall week was an A+. It was good to see my kids out doing sports, ignoring me for their friends, and just living normal for a week.

You could definitely tell the families there were over being in quarantine and ready to move on. That's not to say anything negative about people in the other camp, but in talking to families all over Texas and a few from LA and Tennessee, they all were ready to just get back to normal life and not care about this.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.