Quarantine for 14 days

20,224 Views | 152 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by eric76
eric76
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Willy Wonka said:

So on a scale of 1-10, what's the worst you've felt?
1 = perfectly normal, 10 = time to head to the hospital

Somewhere in 2 to 2.5
aggiebrad94
AG
Tabasco said:

aggiebrad94 said:

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

Upload hasn't been out that long. Grrrrrr
Um... that is all in the trailer. I assume the official 2 minute trailer and it's contents are exempt from spoilers.
Ain't nobody got time for trailers.

I watched THE episode in question today. I'm really digging this show.
eric76
AG
The last two cases in my county includes a doctor.

The other is the guy who informed me that my results came back positive. I think he was also the one who conducted the test on me.
eric76
AG
eric76 said:

Considering that we can be shedding virus fragments for weeks that could cause us to continue to test positive, if I don't develop any more symptoms and am still under isolation a week from now, the lesson learned will be not to get tested unless you're feeling really bad and just self isolate on my own.
I found the Texas Health Department guidelines. It appears that we don't have to have the tests to end isolation even if the healthcare provider recommends it.

From their Interim Guidance for Persons Isolated at Home, Including Healthcare Personnel, with Confirmed Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19):
Quote:

When should I discontinue in-home isolation?

If you had symptoms, take the following steps before you discontinue in-home isolation:

Symptoms have resolved. Home isolation may be discontinued when:

o At least 3 days (72 hours) have passed since recovery, which is defined as:

No longer having a fever (measured when you are not taking fever-reducing medicine like AdvilTM, TylenolTM, or aspirin) AND

Significant improvement of your other symptoms AND

o At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared

If your healthcare provider recommends it, you can also use the test-based strategy to determine when you can discontinue in-home isolation. In this strategy, you can discontinue home isolation when you:

o No longer have a fever (measured when you are not taking fever-reducing medicine like AdvilTM, TylenolTM, or aspirin) AND

o Have improvement in respiratory symptoms (e.g., cough, shortness of breath), AND

o Receive negative results of an FDA Emergency Use Authorized molecular assay for COVID-19 from at least two consecutive respiratory specimens collected 24 hours apart (total of two negative specimens).

o Currently, antibody testing is not sufficient to meet discontinuation from in-home isolation criteria.

o Of note, there have been reports of prolonged detection of RNA without direct correlation to viral culture. Note that detecting viral RNA via PCR does not necessarily mean that infectious virus is present.

The key is that it tells us when we can leave isolation, not the local health department when they can permit us to leave isolation. We don't have to have permission and whether we do the two consecutive negative tests is clearly up to us.
KidDoc
AG
The reason they got rid of the follow-up test is that the test can pick up RNA for weeks after infection. RSV is the same way. It is not thought to be contagious after the 72 hour symptom free period but who knows really.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
eric76
AG
KidDoc said:

The reason they got rid of the follow-up test is that the test can pick up RNA for weeks after infection. RSV is the same way. It is not thought to be contagious after the 72 hour symptom free period but who knows really.
My intention is to continue with an enhanced social distancing for another week or so just in case. Basically, when I go somewhere I'll wash my hands with Hibiclens first to make sure there aren't any viruses on them that can be transferred to someone else, will wear a mask, and will avoid people when possible.

Unless symptoms come back today, I'm planning on going to get a hamburger and fries at the drive up window and bring them back to the office to eat tomorrow. And it's about time to check my mail for the first time since I went into quarantine after learning about my exposure to someone who was being tested for the virus.
KidDoc
AG
eric76 said:

KidDoc said:

My intention is to continue with an enhanced social distancing for another week or so just in case. Basically, when I go somewhere I'll wash my hands with Hibiclens first to make sure there aren't any viruses on them that can be transferred to someone else, will wear a mask, and will avoid people when possible.

Unless symptoms come back today, I'm planning on going to get a hamburger and fries at the drive up window and bring them back to the office to eat tomorrow. And it's about time to check my mail for the first time since I went into quarantine after learning about my exposure to someone who was being tested for the virus.
Hibiclens is fantastic for decreasing skin bacterial colony counts but I think any soap is fine for Coronavirus. Not that it won't work but it may be overkill and cause skin reactions with frequent use.

Otherwise your plan is more than reasonable if you can live with it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
eric76
AG
KidDoc said:

eric76 said:

KidDoc said:

Hibiclens is fantastic for decreasing skin bacterial colony counts but I think any soap is fine for Coronavirus. Not that it won't work but it may be overkill and cause skin reactions with frequent use.

Otherwise your plan is more than reasonable if you can live with it.
I've been using Hibiclens on a persistent skin infection and it seems to be taking care of the problem quite nicely. The main advantage, I think, is that it continues to kill bacteria, viruses, and fungi for up to 24 hours.

You do have a point for using it on the hands, too. After all, if I wash with it and then later with soap, I don't know if any Hibiclens is still bound to the skin.

In general, I don't see that many people day to day. My office is in the back of the building. It's pretty easy to stay relatively isolated.
BadMoonRisin
AG
glad you're feeling better eric
eric76
AG
BadMoonRisin said:

The strange part is that I'm getting a lot of sinus drainage the last hour or so this afternoon. I've been having sinus issues all year. Still, I may stay in isolation until I'm sure that it isn't related to covid-19.
KidDoc
AG
eric76 said:

BadMoonRisin said:

The strange part is that I'm getting a lot of sinus drainage the last hour or so this afternoon. I've been having sinus issues all year. Still, I may stay in isolation until I'm sure that it isn't related to covid-19.
From most of the current data COVID is not a big snot maker. We do not see reports of sinusitis, otitis, pneumonia, etc with this one like we see with RSV & influenza. Thus the "dry cough" you see reported so often as a primary symptom.

It is likely allergies or something else hehe.
eric76
AG
KidDoc said:

eric76 said:

BadMoonRisin said:

From most of the current data COVID is not a big snot maker. We do not see reports of sinusitis, otitis, pneumonia, etc with this one like we see with RSV & influenza. Thus the "dry cough" you see reported so often as a primary symptom.

It is likely allergies or something else hehe.
Thanks. It feels more like allergies.
ag009
AG
We had an employee's daughter, wife, and son tested positive but our employee negative, but he is isolating with his family and they are on day 10 since the first positive test. All are recovered, very mild. He has been asymptomatic this whole time which is crazy because they live in a smaller home. There hasn't been any clear guidance as to when he can return to work. The whole family is almost at the 14 days. To test or not to test? Lots of conflicting info.
KidDoc
AG
katlong said:

We had an employee's daughter, wife, and son tested positive but our employee negative, but he is isolating with his family and they are on day 10 since the first positive test. All are recovered, very mild. He has been asymptomatic this whole time which is crazy because they live in a smaller home. There hasn't been any clear guidance as to when he can return to work. The whole family is almost at the 14 days. To test or not to test? Lots of conflicting info.
If no symptoms @ 14 days he is clear. At least based on current data and guidelines.
BiochemAg97
AG
KidDoc said:

katlong said:

If no symptoms @ 14 days he is clear. At least based on current data and guidelines.

Should be 14 days after last exposure to known COVID+. If he is living with them, that is ongoing exposure. Not sure how you factor in the others getting better to identify a last exposure.

That said, no one seems to follow that part of the guidance, as I have known others who 14 days of continuous living with COVID+ exit quarantine.
KidDoc
AG
Could always get tested at or towards the end of 14 days and if negative go on with working.
ag009
AG
That's likely our plan. Day 12 and everyone is totally better and he is still asymptotic.
eric76
AG
Now that isolation is over, I left for the first time today to go to Alsup's and then to the DQ drivethrough.

This being a small town where everyone usually knows everyone, one woman walking up to Alsups as I was getting in the car seemed to recognize me. I thought for a moment she was going to turn around and leave. She kept staring at me as I started my car. She then slowly went on into Alsup's but left her kid standing outside!

I'm sure I should know her -- prosopagnosia can be a ***** in a small town.
BowSowy
AG
Did you get a fried burrito from allsup's and then a blizzard from DQ? That's required any time I go back out to west Texas
twk
AG
BowSowy said:

Did you get a fried burrito from allsup's and then a blizzard from DQ? That's required any time I go back out to west Texas

If caronavirus can survive an Allsup's burrito, then there is no hope for a vaccine.
eric76
AG
BowSowy said:

I got a hamburger and fries at DQ. I think that they must have given me someone else's order because it didn't match mine very well at all.

My impression was that they were getting ready to close and trying to get rid of whatever they had on hand.
eric76
AG
twk said:

BowSowy said:

If caronavirus can survive an Allsup's burrito, then there is no hope for a vaccine.
I have some frozen burritos in the freezer that I like as much as Allsup's burritos.

I do sometimes get their catfish basket, though.
agsalaska
AG
I am getting tested at 10am today. I feel pretty ****ing bad.

Started Monday night directly after dinner with a a funny pain in my neck. By 10am the next morning my lymph nodes in my neck were so swollen I can barely turn my head. I have never felt anything like it. The aches kicked in in the late afternoon. Thank god for Tylenol, though I am switching to Advil right now.

Did a Teledoc at 1pm with a Doctor in SA. Doctor has no idea if I have it or not but whatever it is it is viral.

Sucks. I will say this. I have no idea if I have Covid or not, but whatever it is it came out throwing haymakers at my lymph nodes. There is a big difference between 'sore threat' and 'neck hurts'. My neck is about an 8 out of 10 without Tylenol.
The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Counterpoint
AG
agsalaska said:

Started Monday night directly after dinner with a a funny pain in my neck. By 10am the next morning my lymph nodes in my neck were so swollen I can barely turn my head. I have never felt anything like it. The aches kicked in in the late afternoon. Thank god for Tylenol, though I am switching to Advil right now.

Did a Teledoc at 1pm with a Doctor in SA. Doctor has no idea if I have it or not but whatever it is it is viral.

Sucks. I will say this. I have no idea if I have Covid or not, but whatever it is it came out throwing haymakers at my lymph nodes. There is a big difference between 'sore threat' and 'neck hurts'. My neck is about an 8 out of 10 without Tylenol.
Ugh. Sorry agsalaska. Didn't your dad have it too?
agsalaska
AG
Counterpoint said:

agsalaska said:

Yes. Kicked his ass for 13 days.

I called him yesterday and asked him to run thru his first couple of days with me so I could compare notes. It is, if I am actually positive, completely different. He was fever and a headache. I am a swollen neck and aches(he ached too).

I have no idea if I am positive or not, but I did find two guys on the interwebs that felt exactly like I do. Read something that said swollen lymph nodes are 6-10% coming out of one hospital. Funny thing is I didnt have a lot of energy over the weekend but didn't think much of it. Worked both days.

The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you never know if they are genuine. -- Abraham Lincoln.
Counterpoint
AG
agsalaska said:

Counterpoint said:

agsalaska said:

Yes. Kicked his ass for 13 days.

I called him yesterday and asked him to run thru his first couple of days with me so I could compare notes. It is, if I am actually positive, completely different. He was fever and a headache. I am a swollen neck and aches(he ached too).

I have no idea if I am positive or not, but I did find two guys on the interwebs that felt exactly like I do. Read something that said swollen lymph nodes are 6-10% coming out of one hospital. Funny thing is I didnt have a lot of energy over the weekend but didn't think much of it. Worked both days.

Good luck!
kapon
AG
Oh no! Hope you get well quickly!
KidDoc
AG
agsalaska said:

This does not sound at all like COVID.

Sounds like enterovirus or strep pharyngitis. You need a strep swab. Can also be CMV or EBV.

agsalaska
AG
Yea that's what I initially thought too. But both the doctor and the nurse at the drive thru today said they have seen sore throat/lymph nodes in positive cases. And I have never had Strep in my life. I found a couple of cases on the interwebs last night that described the same sensations.

Whay doc told me on teladoc was that the symptoms have been very random and made it much more difficult to diagnose off of. Said it is somewhat unique in that way.

To be honest I kind of hope I do have it. If I do this is pretty manageable. Whatever it must be real contagious cause I havent done much publicly. I own a real estate company but we have been pretty careful. Hell I havent eaten at a restaurant since February m.
eric76
AG
Now that I'm over it, the local grocery store says it will be two weeks before I can enter.

Just to make it clear, I have no problem with it. Their business, their rules.
KidDoc
AG
eric76 said:

Now that I'm over it, the local grocery store says it will be two weeks before I can enter.

That makes no sense from a science perspective. You need a leper bell.
ag009
AG
Update on the family I know.

4/4 Grandma symptomatic (4/8 positive test)
4/8 Mother and 2 kids symptomatic (4/11 positive test) - Father tested negative here.
4/18 Father symptomatic (4/21 positive test)

When I posted earlier we were trying to figure out when it was safe for the father to come back to work. So looks like he did end up showing symptoms within the 14 days. Looks like he will be out for a month or more before this is all said and done. All have been mild symptoms so far. Praying it continues. But in a large family this thing can really stretch out!
JYDog90
AG
eric76 said:

Just curious, how does this work? Do they have a sign out front that says, "no one may enter who has previously had covid for a period of 14 days.", or "Eric76, we've been watching you. Come back in June."?
Formerly Willy Wonka
terradactylexpress
Sounds like he lives in a tiny town, so the downside of knowing everyone is that they know everything
agsalaska
AG
KidDoc said:

eric76 said:

That makes no sense from a science perspective. You need a leper bell.
Lol. I had to quote this.

I have this vision of what eric76 looks like. In fact I have this weird idea of what most of yall look like(KidDoc is Doogie Howser). I can imagine my image of eric76 with a leper bell on. Awesome.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.